What Artist Would You Like to See Produce Music for Bionicle?

Banana Gunz

I'm pretty sure there's been a topic like this, but I'd to see your ideas. I'm not a fan of the new Bionicle music, because even though it's nice, it's not very memorable.

I'd like to maybe see Daft Punk take a stab at it. They can do the electronic parts of Bionicle that much of the original music had engrained into it, and their music in Tron I feel is a good example for what would be cool to see in Bionicle. It fits the line, while being a little different in itself to evolve the theme. Their music tries to break away from convention often, which is what I feel Bionicle could use in this time. It's epic, memorable, and could play with both action based and emotional scenes of Bionicle.

What about you? What style do you think is more suited towards Bionicle? Any specific artists you'd love to see produce an original piece for Bionicle?

• Upvote 3

With this new version, I do not know yet. But for the old continuity, Thomas Bergersen and Nick Phoenix would have been perfect to create music for Bionicle. As an auxiliary, they could have gotten Helmut Vonlichten in assistance.

Bergersen:

Vonlichten brothers:

The effective mix of genres with a strong classical overtone is the best route to go in my own personal opinion. :D

Edited by Iaredios
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I'd like to maybe see Daft Punk take a stab at it. They can do the electronic parts of Bionicle that much of the original music had engrained into it, and their music in Tron I feel is a good example for what would be cool to see in Bionicle. It fits the line, while being a little different in itself to evolve the theme. Their music tries to break away from convention often, which is what I feel Bionicle could use in this time. It's epic, memorable, and could play with both action based and emotional scenes of Bionicle.

All of my yes.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

No, Bionicle deserves scores written by actual composers.

Is there a reason it can't have both? Lego Ninjago has a fantastic orchestral score for the TV series, but The Fold also regularly releases promotional rock songs to tie in with the series. Both serve different purposes—an orchestral score is great for establishing mood and atmosphere, but a catchy theme song is often going to do a better job of engaging young kids and other customers.

Anyway, apart from Cryoshell (whom I feel are capable of a broader range of styles than many give them credit for), I don't really have a clue what band could do a good job with Bionicle. Most of the music I listen to is so unsuited to Bionicle that it doesn't really give me any ideas.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Is there a reason it can't have both? Lego Ninjago has a fantastic orchestral score for the TV series, but The Fold also regularly releases promotional rock songs to tie in with the series. Both serve different purposes—an orchestral score is great for establishing mood and atmosphere, but a catchy theme song is often going to do a better job of engaging young kids and other customers.

Anyway, apart from Cryoshell (whom I feel are capable of a broader range of styles than many give them credit for), I don't really have a clue what band could do a good job with Bionicle. Most of the music I listen to is so unsuited to Bionicle that it doesn't really give me any ideas.

Ohhhh, we're talking about commercial music? When he said "electronic parts of Bionicle that much of the original had"  I thought he meant things like MNOG and all of the actual story-telling media. I like bands like Cryoshell for commercials and advertisements, I just feel like that when it comes to actual music for setting a mood animation wise and what- not, you need scores instead of lyrical songs(even though they'd be instrumental versions either way). Scores can convey a specific theme just as well as any other type of music. Look at Danny Elfman's score for Batman (1989), the theme used for many Godzilla movies for quite some time, among a lot of other film scores before a generic standard had been set up for movie scores. Bionicle needs something Iconic, something to give it personality and convey the very life of the series.

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic

I liked Cryoshell, and it would be hard to find an artist that could beat them. But I like Green Day, maybe they could do it. They're artists of the same style, and they do have some pretty good songs. But I still love Cryoshell. :)

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Ohhhh, we're talking about commercial music? When he said "electronic parts of Bionicle that much of the original had"  I thought he meant things like MNOG and all of the actual story-telling media. I like bands like Cryoshell for commercials and advertisements, I just feel like that when it comes to actual music for setting a mood you need scores instead of lyrical songs(even though they'd be instrumental versions either way). Scores can convey a specific theme just as well as any other type of music. Look at Danny Elfman's score for Batman (1989), the theme used for many Godzilla movies for quite some time, among a lot of other film scores before a generic standard had been set up for movie scores. Bionicle needs something Iconic, something to give it personality and convey the very life of the series.

Actually, glitch mob sounds really "soundtracky" and fits well with the more techno music of the 2001-2003 animations. If you've got time to listen to an album, go to Youtube or Spotify or whatever and search "The Glitch Mob Drink the Sea". Find the album, listen to it, be blown away.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

for some reason, whenever i think of music for a story-driven media, my mind wanders to the Homestuck music team. and i feel Bionilce could possibly do with having music with as similar levels of character as that. o:

Wait, Homestuck has music? I stopped reading it somewhere around when the main character is sticking arms into cake and stuff. Seriously, it does not have a good hook, because I know tons of stuff happens, but it's just so boring in the beginning. Anyway, I'm getting off topic, sorry.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Ohhhh, we're talking about commercial music? When he said "electronic parts of Bionicle that much of the original had"  I thought he meant things like MNOG and all of the actual story-telling media. I like bands like Cryoshell for commercials and advertisements, I just feel like that when it comes to actual music for setting a mood you need scores instead of lyrical songs(even though they'd be instrumental versions either way). Scores can convey a specific theme just as well as any other type of music. Look at Danny Elfman's score for Batman (1989), the theme used for many Godzilla movies for quite some time, among a lot of other film scores before a generic standard had been set up for movie scores. Bionicle needs something Iconic, something to give it personality and convey the very life of the series.

Actually, glitch mob sounds really "soundtracky" and fits well with the more techno music of the 2001-2003 animations. If you've got time to listen to an album, go to Youtube or Spotify or whatever and search "The Glitch Mob Drink the Sea". Find the album, listen to it, be blown away.

I am now converted.  :wired:   :drool:

I'm telling you guys, Jazz & Bass genre is pretty good for futuristic atmosphere...

Futuristic, yes, but this Bionicle is more tribal, so having tribal beats mixed in with electronic music works better to express the atmosphere and theme as a whole.

Told ya you'd like it. Now go, and sin no more!

Just kidding. Really, tell people you know about this group. You know full well how awesome it is.

I'm going to do just that. 

I'm telling you guys, Jazz & Bass genre is pretty good for futuristic atmosphere...

Futuristic, yes, but this Bionicle is more tribal, so having tribal beats mixed in with electronic music works better to express the atmosphere and theme as a whole.

I know, but if there ever does come a time when Bionicle G2 decides to go all futuristic-y on us, that'd be a good pick.

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I can't think of any particular artists who would be well-suited to making official BIONICLE music. It's hard to know what people can do until you give them a brief and let them show you how well they can meet it. That's how the composers for the Ninjago TV series were recruited to do that show's score: LEGO posted a brief for what they wanted the tone of the show to be and various artists created samples in hopes of getting the gig. Jay Vincent and Michael Kramer's Ninjago Overture was chosen as the best submission. They might not have stood out as such a natural fit for the brand from their prior work alone, but when challenged to create music that fit the brand they were able to rise to the occasion.

Honestly, one thing I really wish is that BIONICLE fans created more music to celebrate the franchise. The BIONICLE fan community is incredibly creative, but that creativity rarely extends to musical expression. Contrast the brony community, which has a thriving music scene — My "Inspired by My Little Pony" playlist on iTunes, which consists entirely of fan-created music, currently has 148 tracks by over 50 artists, adding up to over eleven hours of music. And that's me being selective about what songs I add to my music collection. Some sites like BronyTunes that compile brony music in general have thousands of fan-created songs in their libraries.

I know there are musically-talented BIONICLE fans out there, so that's not the issue. But for some reason, musicians within this community don't often create songs celebrating BIONICLE. And I'm not sure why that is. Maybe musicians don't find the BIONICLE story that inspiring on a musical level. Maybe they don't think the audience for BIONICLE fan music is as large or appreciative as the audience for less fandom-specific music. Maybe BIONICLE's lack of a consistent official musical identity is discouraging for musicians. Or maybe it's just that the BIONICLE fan community hit its creative peak before sites like SoundCloud and Bandcamp really popularized independent online music sharing, and before BZPower loosened its restrictions on linking to media hosting sites like YouTube.

Whatever the reason is, I'd love for this to change. The LEGO and BIONICLE communities celebrate creativity, after all, and it'd be great if that creativity were not so limited to the visual arts.

• Upvote 5

I can't think of any particular artists who would be well-suited to making official BIONICLE music. It's hard to know what people can do until you give them a brief and let them show you how well they can meet it. That's how the composers for the Ninjago TV series were recruited to do that show's score: LEGO posted a brief for what they wanted the tone of the show to be and various artists created samples in hopes of getting the gig. Jay Vincent and Michael Kramer's Ninjago Overture was chosen as the best submission. They might not have stood out as such a natural fit for the brand from their prior work alone, but when challenged to create music that fit the brand they were able to rise to the occasion.

Honestly, one thing I really wish is that BIONICLE fans created more music to celebrate the franchise. The BIONICLE fan community is incredibly creative, but that creativity rarely extends to musical expression. Contrast the brony community, which has a thriving music scene — My "Inspired by My Little Pony" playlist on iTunes, which consists entirely of fan-created music, currently has 148 tracks by over 50 artists, adding up to over eleven hours of music. And that's me being selective about what songs I add to my music collection. Some sites like BronyTunes that compile brony music in general have thousands of fan-created songs in their libraries.

I know there are musically-talented BIONICLE fans out there, so that's not the issue. But for some reason, musicians within this community don't often create songs celebrating BIONICLE. And I'm not sure why that is. Maybe musicians don't find the BIONICLE story that inspiring on a musical level. Maybe they don't think the audience for BIONICLE fan music is as large or appreciative as the audience for less fandom-specific music. Maybe BIONICLE's lack of a consistent official musical identity is discouraging for musicians. Or maybe it's just that the BIONICLE fan community hit its creative peak before sites like SoundCloud and Bandcamp really popularized independent online music sharing, and before BZPower loosened its restrictions on linking to media hosting sites like YouTube.

Whatever the reason is, I'd love for this to change. The LEGO and BIONICLE communities celebrate creativity, after all, and it'd be great if that creativity were not so limited to the visual arts.

You know, now that you mention I haven't seen any fan compositions at all. I don't see how people wouldn't be inspired to write/compose music for other Bionicle fans. Heck, just a while ago I did some experimenting with my keyboard and tried to make something that represented the sheer emotion of Makuta's jealousy and slight insanity. It starts out slightly sad/eerie in order to express his frustration with living under Ekimu's shadow while slightly going losing sanity, the song then slightly builds up to be more eerie, representing Makuta losing all respectable aspects of his former self and permanently changing into a power hungry maniac. This is where he creates the Mask of Ultimate Power, and at this moment, it kind of cuts into what I imagine would happen if Makuta were to reclaim that mask. The music gets intense while still containing that eerie feel, but now it's filled with vengeance and slight insanity, and during this you would see an overview of Okoto as shadow covers the land. 

Other composers I can think of are Yoav Goren and Jeffery Fayman (the co-owners of Immediate Music). Though they didn't do all the following songs (lots of help from many friends and employees and project teams), this should about cover their resume:

Well Bionicle is a mix of genres, and apparently most people don't know how to express that. You have high tech sentient robots living primitively on a tropical island, and an ancient robotic dragon repetitively attacking a futuristic/ancient metropolis, for examples.

You want examples? What about the scores of music produced for B:NG and the old Quest Of The Toa game (never completed)?  The A Rude Awakening project has a great musician and composer by the name of Toa Vanson, sure you've seen him around. Here is a song of his, Neuropolis, about either agori looking around the ruins of Metru-Nui or matoran remembering the City of Legends 200 years after it's abandonment. Bionicle fans are still around and pumping their creativity!

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

• 3 weeks later...

Shinedown or Avenged Sevenfold. Shinedown has songs full of meaning and enough variety that they can come up with something that fits. They've done songs for The Expendables, The Avengers, and Alice in Wonderland, and though I can't speak for the first, they captured the latter two perfectly, IMO. As for A7X, some of you are probably questioning that because of their tendency to use bad language, but not all their songs use it, and they've also shown themselves capable of doing a variety of styles and writing songs with meaning. Both bands are capable of the in-your-face fight songs as well as calmer, more emotional songs...and then songs that are a blend of both. Shinedown is perhaps better suited, but A7X could probably handle it fine. Although a Cryoshell return is what I'd like most.

I'm completely against Cryoshell returning. I'm going to say that loud and proud, we need something other than Cryoshell. I'm not saying they are bad and I'm not saying that I hate you for liking them. What I am saying is Gen 2 has a different feel than Gen 1. Gen 2 calls for something epic, kind of mysterious if not mystic, or something along those lines. I'm a casual A7X fan and I don't really think what they're doing nowadays would really fit in with the modern Bionicle. I think that symphonic metal/rock would be the best course of action because it's still got a rock vibe with lyrics and the orchestration would give it a score like quality. Bands like Epica, Within Temptation, Lucana Coil, the list goes on...

Are you putting a challenge out there sir? Because if you are indeed, I WILL compose something to pay homage to Bionicle's return. Would you want me to try composing something?

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I'm completely against Cryoshell returning. I'm going to say that loud and proud, we need something other than Cryoshell. I'm not saying they are bad and I'm not saying that I hate you for liking them. What I am saying is Gen 2 has a different feel than Gen 1. Gen 2 calls for something epic, kind of mysterious if not mystic, or something along those lines. I'm a casual A7X fan and I don't really think what they're doing nowadays would really fit in with the modern Bionicle. I think that symphonic metal/rock would be the best course of action because it's still got a rock vibe with lyrics and the orchestration would give it a score like quality. Bands like Epica, Within Temptation, Lucana Coil, the list goes on...

Are you putting a challenge out there sir? Because if you are indeed, I WILL compose something to pay homage to Bionicle's return. Would you want me to try composing something?

That's your opinion on Cryoshell, I shall respect it. I'll go ahead and admit that perhaps you're right and they should stay connected with G1, and move on to other things instead of doing anything for G2. I note that you said what A7X is doing nowadays...so do you mean that you think perhaps some of their older stuff would fit? I was thinking some of their modern songs like "Coming Home" might fit, but I'm uncertain on how I feel about that. I also noticed you didn't comment on Shinedown. If that's because you're unfamiliar with them, I will definitely recommend some of my favorite songs, if you'd be interested. As for you composing something, I'd say go for it. Would be interesting to hear.

That's your opinion on Cryoshell, I shall respect it. I'll go ahead and admit that perhaps you're right and they should stay connected with G1, and move on to other things instead of doing anything for G2. I note that you said what A7X is doing nowadays...so do you mean that you think perhaps some of their older stuff would fit? I was thinking some of their modern songs like "Coming Home" might fit, but I'm uncertain on how I feel about that. I also noticed you didn't comment on Shinedown. If that's because you're unfamiliar with them, I will definitely recommend some of my favorite songs, if you'd be interested. As for you composing something, I'd say go for it. Would be interesting to hear.

I'm a fan of heavier metal than A7X and Mike Portnoy is a god among the drummers in the bands I like (without further rambling, my favorite A7X album is Nightmare). I think as far as Bionicle goes, a song in a style like Danger Line or Burn it Down (ik that's not from Nightmare, but it's a great song) would be awesome to hear in Bionicle if the story got to a point where those songs would be considerable. I know A7X is going to make a new album soon so I'll see what that sounds like, but I really am not onboard with the direction they took on Hail to the King; just not my thing. I didn't mention Shinedown as I haven't heard any of their songs before, but I know they are along the lines of Disturbed, Sevendust, Breaking Benjamin, & other alternative metal bands. As far as what I would come up with...well let me come up with something first lol. It would probably be a blend of all my favorite bands with lyrics about Bionicle/some event in Bionicle. I'll start brainstorming this weekend on some lyrics and then see what I feel musically.

P.S. Evergrey is my favorite band. I would LOVE for Bionicle to be promoted by some Evergrey songs, but the storyline isn't dark enough for that yet. When I say dark, I'm thinking more along the lines of the 2007 storyline. I'll recommend you some songs as a trade for a some Shinedown songs

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

I'm a fan of heavier metal than A7X and Mike Portnoy is a god among the drummers in the bands I like (without further rambling, my favorite A7X album is Nightmare). I think as far as Bionicle goes, a song in a style like Danger Line or Burn it Down (ik that's not from Nightmare, but it's a great song) would be awesome to hear in Bionicle if the story got to a point where those songs would be considerable. I know A7X is going to make a new album soon so I'll see what that sounds like, but I really am not onboard with the direction they took on Hail to the King; just not my thing. I didn't mention Shinedown as I haven't heard any of their songs before, but I know they are along the lines of Disturbed, Sevendust, Breaking Benjamin, & other alternative metal bands. As far as what I would come up with...well let me come up with something first lol. It would probably be a blend of all my favorite bands with lyrics about Bionicle/some event in Bionicle. I'll start brainstorming this weekend on some lyrics and then see what I feel musically.

P.S. Evergrey is my favorite band. I would LOVE for Bionicle to be promoted by some Evergrey songs, but the storyline isn't dark enough for that yet. When I say dark, I'm thinking more along the lines of the 2007 storyline. I'll recommend you some songs as a trade for a some Shinedown songs

Ah yes, Danger Line came to my mind earlier, and Nightmare is an AMAZING album. Gonna be interesting to see what direction the new album takes. Burn it Down...you mean the Linkin Park song? I thought of mentioning them, but they're honestly overused in modern culture. Still love 'em though. Here's a few Shinedown songs you may like: Stranger Inside, Her Name is Alice, Diamond Eyes, I'm Alive, Sound of Madness...pretty much the entire Amaryllis album, especially the first 4 songs. Diamond Eyes, I'm Alive, and some of the songs from Amaryllis probably fit Bionicle - both old and new - best. I've never heard Evergrey, but am always looking for new bands to listen to, so I'd love to hear your recommendations! Look forward to whatever song you come up with, good luck with the brainstorming process! :)

Ah yes, Danger Line came to my mind earlier, and Nightmare is an AMAZING album. Gonna be interesting to see what direction the new album takes. Burn it Down...you mean the Linkin Park song? I thought of mentioning them, but they're honestly overused in modern culture. Still love 'em though. Here's a few Shinedown songs you may like: Stranger Inside, Her Name is Alice, Diamond Eyes, I'm Alive, Sound of Madness...pretty much the entire Amaryllis album, especially the first 4 songs. Diamond Eyes, I'm Alive, and some of the songs from Amaryllis probably fit Bionicle - both old and new - best. I've never heard Evergrey, but am always looking for new bands to listen to, so I'd love to hear your recommendations! Look forward to whatever song you come up with, good luck with the brainstorming process! :)

No, I mean Burn it Down as in the A7X song off of the 2005 album "City of Evil"

and I will check those songs out.

Evergrey- Swedish Progressive/Power Metal:

Choice songs: Numb, Caught in a Lie, It Comes From Within, A New Dawn, Unspeakable, or King of Errors. All those are good songs for first timers

Come to think of it...Caught in a Lie, It Comes From Within, & A New Dawn...all of those could work for Bionicle. Let's go!!!

Edited by Evergrey_Toa

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

It's unfortunate. The one I could say would be Nusua. I know a lot of Bionicle fans that make Bionicle-inspired tracks but I'd say that most of their work was created for old projects such as Next Generation, Mata Nui Inc., etc. and not really for the purpose of celebrating Bionicle in the way I believe you are saying. You can probably find their work on soundcloud.

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

With how Gen 2 is so far: Weird Al Yankovic

But if it gets better, I think the music would be based mainly on the tone. I could see artists like Bastille, The Fray, and Imagine Dragons doing music.

Off Topic, but I'd want there to be an early death. I think it'll push the Gen 2 story directly where it needs to go.

You want examples? What about the scores of music produced for B:NG and the old Quest Of The Toa game (never completed)?  The A Rude Awakening project has a great musician and composer by the name of Toa Vanson, sure you've seen him around. Here is a song of his, Neuropolis, about either agori looking around the ruins of Metru-Nui or matoran remembering the City of Legends 200 years after it's abandonment. Bionicle fans are still around and pumping their creativity!

AYY, thanks for the shoutout! Don't worry, I haven't abandoned the project, just on a mini hiatus due to school etc.  :P

Anyway, yeah I think that more atmospheric electronica would work pretty well for a Bionicle atmosphere. Leave enough of the tribal feel to keep the mysticism but introduce electronic elements to further the general "they are futuristic biomechanical beings" feel. Here's an example of the sort of song that might go well with something uneasy or foreboding:

NOTE: BoC in general would not be a good group to compose music for Bionicle. They're generally too atmospheric and ambient. If there's any artist I can think of who would be the best fit to compose music would be Autechre.

As for the issue that some brought up that "musicians who are Bionicle fans don't put their skills toward celebrating Bionicle", there's one right here  :P . Currently I'm working on transcribing the entire MNOG soundtrack into a more modern sound: https://soundcloud.com/theironchicken/sets/mnog-transcription

Edited by Toa Vanson

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

AYY, thanks for the shoutout! Don't worry, I haven't abandoned the project, just on a mini hiatus due to school etc.  :P

No problem! And that is good to know, I was actually starting to think something had happened to ya dude.  Good to know that you are still alive and about, man!

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Cryoshell was great for Bionicle. I kind of want to say that Dream Theater could make some suitably epic music for the line as well.

-NotS

I agree about Dream Theater. That band could make something epic. My only counter argument to that is that Symphony X & of course Evergrey (both bands and DT are the best in the progressive metal genre) would probably make something MORE epic and arguably better suited for Bionicle. Let's face this one fact: Dream Theater find it easier to write long songs than shorter, accessible (marketable) songs while SX & Eg write songs that average about 4-5 minutes in length and are more pleasing to listen to (at least to my ear). But Dream Theater is on point. I applaud you, sir.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands: