I recently got to thinking about what the Mata Nui Saga would look like if it was in chronological order instead of having all those flashbacks, so I decided to try to figure out what the chronological order of the chapters would be.  I came up with this order: 0, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 20, 21, 22, 1, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, then 23-33 normally.  I tried making a rearranged version of the flash file from the Biomedia Project, and the images and audio work fine, but I couldn't get the subtitles to correspond.  Any thoughts on the rearranged order or how I can make the subtitles match up?

-TotBI

Edited by Toa of the Blazing Inferno

The audio isn't the problem.  I redesignated the main images and audio and thumbnails to the same number, as well as the section of the text.xml file.  Each chapter has a line in the config xml file that looks like this:

<Chapter sfx="sfx0.mp3" img="img0.jpg" thumb="thumb0.jpg" overlayKey="OVERLAY_0" />

and I changed all the numbers to match on each line.  Do you think I need a different text xml for each subtitle/overlay text?  That seemed to work with the images and audio.

I'm just not sure how much of the code string I'd have to have in each separate xml file.  Here's the beginning of the file through the end of the intro text:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><strings><MuteDefaultOn>false</MuteDefaultOn><SubtitlesDefaultOn>true</SubtitlesDefaultOn><text id="TEXT_PLAY_START">Play From Start</text><text id="TEXT_CHAPTER">Chapter</text><text id="TEXT_NEW">New</text><text id="TEXT_COMING">COMING SOON</text><text id="TEXT_MENU">MENU</text><text id="TEXT_CHAPTER_SEL">CHAPTER SELECT</text><text id="TEXT_HOME">RETURN HOME</text><text id="OVERLAY_0"></text><text id="SUBTITLE_0">I am Mata Nui. My original form was built on the world of Spherus Magna more than one hundred thousand years ago. I was built to bring order back to my world and its people, but I lost my way. With the help of new and old friends, I have one final chance to fulfill my duty and my destiny.</text>

Do you think I'd have to reproduce all of the text before "overlay_0" in each different xml file?  I think I might, but I want to make sure.

I think so, but I'm not sure. I think if you cut that out, the top menu won't display properly.

Looking at the code, though, I'm wondering why you can't just replace the text between the text subtitle tags: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><strings><MuteDefaultOn>false</MuteDefaultOn><SubtitlesDefaultOn>true</SubtitlesDefaultOn><text id="TEXT_PLAY_START">Play From Start</text><text id="TEXT_CHAPTER">Chapter</text><text id="TEXT_NEW">New</text><text id="TEXT_COMING">COMING SOON</text><text id="TEXT_MENU">MENU</text><text id="TEXT_CHAPTER_SEL">CHAPTER SELECT</text><text id="TEXT_HOME">RETURN HOME</text><text id="OVERLAY_0"></text><text id="SUBTITLE_0"> *insert text you want here*</text>

Or change the subtitle number thing:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><strings><MuteDefaultOn>false</MuteDefaultOn><SubtitlesDefaultOn>true</SubtitlesDefaultOn><text id="TEXT_PLAY_START">Play From Start</text><text id="TEXT_CHAPTER">Chapter</text><text id="TEXT_NEW">New</text><text id="TEXT_COMING">COMING SOON</text><text id="TEXT_MENU">MENU</text><text id="TEXT_CHAPTER_SEL">CHAPTER SELECT</text><text id="TEXT_HOME">RETURN HOME</text><text id="OVERLAY_0"></text><text id="SUBTITLE_2091">I am Mata Nui. My original form was built on the world of Spherus Magna more than one hundred thousand years ago. I was built to bring order back to my world and its people, but I lost my way. With the help of new and old friends, I have one final chance to fulfill my duty and my destiny.</text>

But you probably already tried that. :)

I tried the separate files thing and the main flash file wouldn't even load after I changed the text source, so I changed it back.

I think so, but I'm not sure. I think if you cut that out, the top menu won't display properly.

Looking at the code, though, I'm wondering why you can't just replace the text between the text subtitle tags: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><strings><MuteDefaultOn>false</MuteDefaultOn><SubtitlesDefaultOn>true</SubtitlesDefaultOn><text id="TEXT_PLAY_START">Play From Start</text><text id="TEXT_CHAPTER">Chapter</text><text id="TEXT_NEW">New</text><text id="TEXT_COMING">COMING SOON</text><text id="TEXT_MENU">MENU</text><text id="TEXT_CHAPTER_SEL">CHAPTER SELECT</text><text id="TEXT_HOME">RETURN HOME</text><text id="OVERLAY_0"></text><text id="SUBTITLE_0"> *insert text you want here*</text>

Or change the subtitle number thing:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><strings><MuteDefaultOn>false</MuteDefaultOn><SubtitlesDefaultOn>true</SubtitlesDefaultOn><text id="TEXT_PLAY_START">Play From Start</text><text id="TEXT_CHAPTER">Chapter</text><text id="TEXT_NEW">New</text><text id="TEXT_COMING">COMING SOON</text><text id="TEXT_MENU">MENU</text><text id="TEXT_CHAPTER_SEL">CHAPTER SELECT</text><text id="TEXT_HOME">RETURN HOME</text><text id="OVERLAY_0"></text><text id="SUBTITLE_2091">I am Mata Nui. My original form was built on the world of Spherus Magna more than one hundred thousand years ago. I was built to bring order back to my world and its people, but I lost my way. With the help of new and old friends, I have one final chance to fulfill my duty and my destiny.</text>

But you probably already tried that. :)

I actually haven't tried that, but I'll probably have to change all the overlay numbers back to their original numbers on the main xml before I do that in order for it to work.  I'll try that.

Update: I tried re-numbering the subtitles in the text.xml file, and everything lines up now, which is great to see.  I just realized that my new file might be a good way to show people the G1 Bionicle story, since it doesn't jump around as much as the original does.  I'm thinking of making it available for download.  Do you think others might be interested in my rearranged version?

Here's the link, and I also put it in my signature for people who see it in other topics on here.  I'll probably also share it on Eurobricks.

Edit: I just got another idea.  You know where it says "long ago," and "100,000 years ago," and stuff like that?  Well, more than one slide says that and I'm thinking of eliminating the duplicates, and only leaving it when it changes.  Like, I'll leave the first "long ago," but if the next one says that too, then I'll delete that, then leave the first "100,000 years ago," and so on.  I'm also wondering if I should add anything else that the original didn't have (maybe the story year it's referring to, or something like that).  I'd like anyone's thoughts on this who wants to share them.

Arg 4shared is the worst. 

I got the file up anyway, and I definitely felt that the first part of it made so much sense in chronological order that it was hard to imagine it any other way, so excellent job (probably the fact that my mind had already rearranged them that way helped :)). I thought things got kinda wonky on the chapter 13 though - it goes straight from "clues" to "Spherus Magna's past could be my future" and I found the transition to be jarring. I get why you did it though.

Edit: I just got another idea.  You know where it says "long ago," and "100,000 years ago," and stuff like that?  Well, more than one slide says that and I'm thinking of eliminating the duplicates, and only leaving it when it changes.  Like, I'll leave the first "long ago," but if the next one says that too, then I'll delete that, then leave the first "100,000 years ago," and so on.  I'm also wondering if I should add anything else that the original didn't have (maybe the story year it's referring to, or something like that).  I'd like anyone's thoughts on this who wants to share them.

I'd leave it as it is, but that's probably an IMO thing, mostly because of nostalgia for the original Mata Nui Saga. :shrugs:

Yeah, that is kind of a weird spot, but I think that's only because there's not much context between the two parts.  Do you have a better idea for that arrangement, or do you think I did the best that could be done?

What's wrong with 4shared?

You can't just click free download?

No, it tells me I have to sign in to use that function.

Oh, sorry about that.  Back on topic, is there anything you can think of that I can do to make it better, or do you think it's as good as it's going to get?

I didn't even notice it did that, since I use the executable file, and I'm surprised the compilers of the original file missed that too.  I don't actually know how to fix that. You might bring it to the attention of the Biomedia Project people, and they could see about fixing it.

It's really easy. Just open "Launcher.html" in Notepad or similar, and look for this: 

<title>Mata Nui Sage</title>

Then change it to this: 

<title>Mata Nui Saga</title>

I'm surprised you don't know this. You were just talking about XML stuff that nearly went over my head a few posts up, so...

I guess I should do it myself on my own copy. 

It's really easy. Just open "Launcher.html" in Notepad or similar, and look for this: 

<title>Mata Nui Sage</title>

Then change it to this: 

<title>Mata Nui Saga</title>

I'm surprised you don't know this. You were just talking about XML stuff that nearly went over my head a few posts up, so...

I guess I should do it myself on my own copy. 

The stuff I was talking about earlier was easy for me to find.  The key I was missing was opening the Launcher.html file using notepad.  From there, it seems easy enough, and it is.  I still say someone should take it to the BioMedia Project people so no one else gets bugged by it.  I'll update the file with the fixed html file for others.

• Upvote 1