The LEGO Movie Music

TheSkeletonMan939

Did you like the score to The LEGO Movie?

It was composed by none other than Mark Mothersbaugh, of DEVO fame. You've heard his stuff before: Rugrats, Regular Show, Mater's Tall Tales, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs/2, and more recently The Last Man on Earth. Lots of other credits too (Wikipedia lists Deadpool as a 2016 job for him... can anyone confirm that?). He also wears silly glasses.  :glasses:

Mothersbaugh's score for this film was very electronic and synth-based, which makes sense since that's what the kids are into these days, but I'm always amazed when he's able to smoothly and almost effortlessly able to transition to more orchestral or choral themes to highlight more dramatic moments. I listen to the soundtrack often, and I'm excited to hear that a vinyl of it was released today (I think). I wonder what audio differences there might be between the vinyl and the CD?

At no point in the film does the music needlessly overpower the visuals or the rest of the soundstage. I think it was greatly integrated and was a perfect fit for the movie.

Don't talk about how much you loved the lyrics to "Everything is Awesome!!" here. Find some other sleazy thread to do that in. Mothersbaugh did the instrumentals for the song though, so you can mention how much you like the electronic noise in the song! I personally listen to the instrumental far more than the normal version.

Did you like Mothersbaugh's score? Why or why not? Do you want him to return for future installments in the franchise? Do you wish the complete score was released, instead of being tethered to the 60-minute official soundtrack? What music in the film did you enjoy that wasn't on the soundtrack? Tell me!!  :ahhh:

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 1

Did you like the score to The LEGO Movie?

It was composed by none other than Mark Mothersbaugh, of DEVO fame. You've heard his stuff before: Rugrats, Regular Show, Mater's Tall Tales, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs/2, and more recently The Last Man on Earth. Lots of other credits too (Wikipedia lists Deadpool as a 2016 job for him... can anyone confirm that?). He also wears silly glasses.  :glasses:

Mothersbaugh's score for this film was very electronic and synth-based, which makes sense since that's what the kids are into these days, but I'm always amazed when he's able to smoothly and almost effortlessly able to transition to more orchestral or choral themes to highlight more dramatic moments. I listen to the soundtrack often, and I'm excited to hear that a vinyl of it was released today (I think). I wonder what audio differences there might be between the vinyl and the CD?

At no point in the film does the music needlessly overpower the visuals or the rest of the soundstage. I think it was greatly integrated and was a perfect fit for the movie.

Don't talk about how much you loved the lyrics to "Everything is Awesome!!" here. Find some other sleazy thread to do that in. Mothersbaugh did the instrumentals for the song though, so you can mention how much you like the electronic noise in the song! I personally listen to the instrumental far more than the normal version.

Did you like Mothersbaugh's score? Why or why not? Do you want him to return for future installments in the franchise? Do you wish the complete score was released, instead of being tethered to the 60-minute official soundtrack? What music in the film did you enjoy that wasn't on the soundtrack? Tell me!!  :ahhh:

I'm not a huge fan of electronic music, at least not as a genre. But I ADORED the score to The Lego Movie, and felt that it was the perfect choice for it. The hyper, electronic beats meshed ridiculously well with the high action of the movie and the subtle jankiness of the movie's faux stop-motion animation. And the way they were blended with an orchestral score which would surge to the foreground at key moments helped to emphasize the movie's most emotional scenes.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I tend to like electronic music. 

Sort of. 

I have the Prologue and Emmet's Morning on my computer's stack of MP3s, and listen to them fairly often. The tracks for the rest of the movie didn't really stand out to me that much when watching the film, and I remember listening to the rest of the soundtrack and not liking it that much. They had too many renditions of Everything is Awesome in it, which I thought was bad - EiA is kind of an okay song, but repeat it that many times and I'm out of there. 

I tend to like electronic music. 

Sort of. 

I have the Prologue and Emmet's Morning on my computer's stack of MP3s, and listen to them fairly often. The tracks for the rest of the movie didn't really stand out to me that much when watching the film, and I remember listening to the rest of the soundtrack and not liking it that much. They had too many renditions of Everything is Awesome in it, which I thought was bad - EiA is kind of an okay song, but repeat it that many times and I'm out of there.

Wait, those were the only two that stood out? What about Wyldstyle Leads? Or I am a Master Builder? Everyone loves a triumphant reprise!

Plus the amazing orchestral work on Requiem for Cuckooland and My Secret Weapon. Or the catchy heist tune Emmet's Plan. I feel like reducing the soundtrack to the various versions of Everything Is Awesome (of which there were really only four) is selling it a bit short.

As a side note, a different song, "Jam in the Jungle", was used in the movie in place of "Cloud Cuckoo Land and Ben the Spaceman". I do kind of think the snippet they used fits better for Unikitty's introduction, but when I looked up the replacement song and listened to it in full, I didn't like it as much. Go figure.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Wait, those were the only two that stood out? What about Wyldstyle Leads? Or I am a Master Builder? Everyone loves a triumphant reprise!

Plus the amazing orchestral work on Requiem for Cuckooland and My Secret Weapon. Or the catchy heist tune Emmet's Plan. I feel like reducing the soundtrack to the various versions of Everything Is Awesome (of which there were really only four) is selling it a bit short.

As a side note, a different song, "Jam in the Jungle", was used in the movie in place of "Cloud Cuckoo Land and Ben the Spaceman". I do kind of think the snippet they used fits better for Unikitty's introduction, but when I looked up the replacement song and listened to it in full, I didn't like it as much. Go figure.

I'll allow that I might not have given the soundtrack time to properly grow on me. However, I must allocate for my own crazy taste and say that I find "The Truth" to be a better orchestra piece.

And while Wyldstyle Leads and I am a Master Builder have some good musical phrases, they have a lot of other less-nice phrases mixed in, which drags down the tracks a little. The Prologue and Emmet's Morning have none of that - the musical phrases are consistent and clear. 

Emmet's Plan gives me a "where have I heard this song before" feeling. It feels too generic, like "this is a kid's amazing plan" tune. I can totally see that sort of music following Griffin Bing around. :P But kids having amazing plans have happened in other movies, and they probably were followed by some variation on this beat. Emmet's Morning gives me the same feeling - this is the generic "city street" song, but I don't care, I like it anyway. 

Side note: I'm pretty sure I remember Devo - those were the guys who did "Whip it" IIRC. Good tune, eh lyrics. 

• Upvote 1

As a side note, a different song, "Jam in the Jungle", was used in the movie in place of "Cloud Cuckoo Land and Ben the Spaceman".

Woah man, link me to "Jam in the Jungle". I thought the film version of "Cuckooland" was just something Mothersbaugh made 'cause he or the directors didn't like the tune he'd already made (the OST version)... are you saying it's a real song somewhere?

The OST actually has a lot of variations from the film. Missing backends, mostly. "Saloons and Wagons" has some silly chanting omitted from the OST, for instance.

The track I'd love to have most that isn't on the OST is the bit that plays during Emmet's interrogation, and when all his construction buddies apparently have no idea who he is.

OP, I think you should add a poll so you can keep a record of everyone's answers.

... Can non-premier members do that?

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

• 2 weeks later...