What don't you like about CCBS?

jmflem

Do you remember the fun for building the old bionicles? They looked better and had more possibilities for MOCs! Now, you assemble a skeleton and put a shell on it.

You are making claims with no reason or proof to back them up. Also, I would like to point out, the new wave of BIONICLE uses a lot of technic parts, making the build a lot more interesting and complex. Also, they are actually lot more complex than Gen1 Toa sets. Just go buy one and compare it to a Toa Inika, and you'll see what I mean.

A few posts back, I stated that I was going to give an example of how the two systems can work together with a recent MOC I made.

You can find the MOC here.

I find the construction I used for this to be done a lot better than any old Inika torso. The torso on this MOC is built using the larger-sized CCBS torso frame, and the add-ons I built into it minimize if not get rid of a majority of the gaps one would find in a standard Inika build.

Those shoulder pads work really well with that torso!

• Upvote 3

Do you remember the fun for building the old bionicles? They looked better and had more possibilities for MOCs! Now, you assemble a skeleton and put a shell on it.

You are making claims with no reason or proof to back them up. Also, I would like to point out, the new wave of BIONICLE uses a lot of technic parts, making the build a lot more interesting and complex. Also, they are actually lot more complex than Gen1 Toa sets. Just go buy one and compare it to a Toa Inika, and you'll see what I mean.

Also, I do remember the old Bionicles back when I wasn't even ten years old. Let me tell you, it really didn't help me at all when I tried to make my own design that characters looked odd and out of place because of all the overspecialized and stylized pieces. Frankly, I would have loved having CCBS when I tried so hard to make a Link (Legend of Zelda) MOC, but couldn't for the life of me because none of the pieces were right. So, tntkirill24, I feel like you are letting blind nostalgia cloud your judgement.

• Upvote 2

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

To be fair, I have to say the lack of panels or large shells in something not shaped like a torso is rather annoying for CCBS in general.

That's true when making larger MoCs. Lego doesn't make sets large enough to really justify shells that size except as torsos.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

To be fair, I have to say the lack of panels or large shells in something not shaped like a torso is rather annoying for CCBS in general.

That's true when making larger MoCs. Lego doesn't make sets large enough to really justify shells that size except as torsos.

On the other hand, when you get large enough, modern Technic panels can be a viable solution, and they look very consistent with standard CCBS parts. I'd love to see a large set that makes use of Technic panels for armor, but the closest we've gotten is the use of the smallest Technic panels for the upcoming Obi Wan set's "skirt".

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

On the other hand, when you get large enough, modern Technic panels can be a viable solution, and they look very consistent with standard CCBS parts. I'd love to see a large set that makes use of Technic panels for armor, but the closest we've gotten is the use of the smallest Technic panels for the upcoming Obi Wan set's "skirt".

Technically, Jango Fett, Clone Commander Cody, and General Grievous also all make use of those smallest Technic panels in some capacity.

And to some extent, I think you could say the same thing about classic BIONICLE parts. There weren't a whole lot of large armor pieces except torso shells, shields, and repurposed Technic panels. Like my own complaints on the previous page, that's more of an issue with Technic-based constraction in general than CCBS specifically. If you even call it an issue, that is — plenty of BIONICLE MOCists have managed to make larger MOCs without the range of larger armor parts limiting them considerably.

• Upvote 2

Preface: This topic is mainly aimed towards the haters/general dislikers of the Creature and Character Building System (CCBS, or "Hero Factory" parts), in reference to it's use in BIONICLE's 2015 return.

Basically, I would like to know what you don't like about CCBS. What do you think is wrong with it? Personally when I first learned of BIONICLE's return I was disappointed with the use of CCBS in the sets. I thought it was "simple" and "boring". I was basically one of the "haters". Thing is though, I had barely any experience with it--owning only two simple Hero Factory sets--and hadn't kept up with Hero Factory after BIONICLE's ending. The more I researched the new sets though, I actually really started to like the designs. When I finally got my hands on some of the new sets once they were released, I was able to experiment with CCBS and actually really liked it. Nowadays I find myself generally limiting myself to building only with CCBS because of how much I like it, including some Technic as well of course. In my opinion, it's truly a remarkable building system and works very well as a system for creating playable, pose-able action figures.

My question to you is: why don't you like it? Have you given it a chance, or are you making assumptions, like I did?

I would like to keep this a clean discussion, not a rant. I am very interested in what your thoughts are. ^_^

I think they are good for hero factory but for bionicle, THEY SHALL NOT BE USED!!! Do you remember the old ones? They were PERFECT FOR BIONICLE!!!

Now, we got parts that shall not even be used in bionicle! So instead of reviving bionicle, THEY DESTROYED IT COMPLETELY!!!

You mean the brittle, overspecialized pieces that were relatively hard to MOC with? How exactly were those perfect, and how did the CCBS ruin Bionicle?

I remember the old bionicles, they DID look better and had far more possibilities for MoCs. Now everything's boring old skeleball.

• Upvote 1

Preface: This topic is mainly aimed towards the haters/general dislikers of the Creature and Character Building System (CCBS, or "Hero Factory" parts), in reference to it's use in BIONICLE's 2015 return.

Basically, I would like to know what you don't like about CCBS. What do you think is wrong with it? Personally when I first learned of BIONICLE's return I was disappointed with the use of CCBS in the sets. I thought it was "simple" and "boring". I was basically one of the "haters". Thing is though, I had barely any experience with it--owning only two simple Hero Factory sets--and hadn't kept up with Hero Factory after BIONICLE's ending. The more I researched the new sets though, I actually really started to like the designs. When I finally got my hands on some of the new sets once they were released, I was able to experiment with CCBS and actually really liked it. Nowadays I find myself generally limiting myself to building only with CCBS because of how much I like it, including some Technic as well of course. In my opinion, it's truly a remarkable building system and works very well as a system for creating playable, pose-able action figures.

My question to you is: why don't you like it? Have you given it a chance, or are you making assumptions, like I did?

I would like to keep this a clean discussion, not a rant. I am very interested in what your thoughts are. ^_^

I think they are good for hero factory but for bionicle, THEY SHALL NOT BE USED!!! Do you remember the old ones? They were PERFECT FOR BIONICLE!!!

Now, we got parts that shall not even be used in bionicle! So instead of reviving bionicle, THEY DESTROYED IT COMPLETELY!!!

You mean the brittle, overspecialized pieces that were relatively hard to MOC with? How exactly were those perfect, and how did the CCBS ruin Bionicle?

I remember the old bionicles, they DID look better and had far more possibilities for MoCs. Now everything's boring old skeleball.

I wouldn't call it boring, I mean PoS showed how much detail you can put onto the shells and how much CCBS can EVOLVE.

But it's your opinion, to each their own. :)

Edited by Forgeta
  • Upvote 1

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Technically, Jango Fett, Clone Commander Cody, and General Grievous also all make use of those smallest Technic panels in some capacity.

And to some extent, I think you could say the same thing about classic BIONICLE parts. There weren't a whole lot of large armor pieces except torso shells, shields, and repurposed Technic panels. Like my own complaints on the previous page, that's more of an issue with Technic-based constraction in general than CCBS specifically. If you even call it an issue, that is — plenty of BIONICLE MOCists have managed to make larger MOCs without the range of larger armor parts limiting them considerably.

So how do I get me some modern Technic panels?

Of more import: are said panels available in LDD? What parts am I looking for? Too many to list?

What I don't like about it is that it has no detail at all.  And its supposed to be for little kids.

isn't... all of Lego primarily for kids? :0

Of more import: are said panels available in LDD? What parts am I looking for? Too many to list?

there's an entire LDD tab for technic panels, can't recall what the logo for that tab is though. :t

• Upvote 2

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

What I don't like about it is that it has no detail at all.  And its supposed to be for little kids.

You are aware that we are, in fact, talking about a line of children's toys? Bionicle is made entirely for little kids.

*Says the 29 year old before happily fiddling with his toys.

Something being made for children should not be seen as a stigma, and conversely not everything made fo adults is to be praised. 

To paraphrase C.S.Lewis:" What could be more childish than to desperately want to be grown up?"

• Upvote 2

Lalonde, I think he ment that Bio2s dumbed down building system, simplistic story, goofy character quirks, and lack of names for minor characters makes it far more kiddy than G1.

And I HATE that.

it's only dumbed down if you want to see it that way. *wink emote*

also, it can be rather impolite to bring up "goofy character quirks" as a downside to someone who considers such quirks to be a much better writing direction than forgettable, dismal characters. u-u

• Upvote 3

Lalonde, I think he ment that Bio2s dumbed down building system, simplistic story, goofy character quirks, and lack of names for minor characters makes it far more kiddy than G1.

And I HATE that.

it's only dumbed down if you want to see it that way. *wink emote*

also, it can be rather impolite to bring up "goofy character quirks" as a downside to someone who considers such quirks to be a much better writing direction than forgettable, dismal characters. u-u

Yeah... SOME OF US HAVE A FEAR OF THE DARK!

• Upvote 1

|

I think everyone who complains about a toy-line being childish has, at best, severly missed the point. AFoLs aren't TLC's primary consumer base, so don't expect anything to be aimed any higher than 14-15 years old. Bionicle was canceled not because it didn't have a strong fan base, but because said fans were falling into the high-schools/student bracket who don't have enough disposable income and can't ask their parents to buy toys anymore.

• Upvote 5

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

^ When people act like this, I just *roll eyes*.

Lalonde, but the quirks are just done for cheap laughs. They arnt like "Although he hides it, Tahu is rather unsure about being the Toas leader, feeling that he is not worthy of such a title." Instead they are "Onua snores."

Lalonde, but the quirks are just done for cheap laughs. They arnt like "Although he hides it, Tahu is rather unsure about being the Toas leader, feeling that he is not worthy of such a title." Instead they are "Onua snores."

"Onua snores" is a subsection of "Onua falls asleep a lot because of his laid-back and peaceful attitude" which actually gives us a nice amount of info on Onua. :t (the snores part is to be funny, yes, but is that a bad thing? being funny? :0)

• Upvote 5

How? Mature and objective? Heaven forbid we have the voice of reason speaking to the passionate fan. Admittedly, I'm not the only sensible person around here.

• Upvote 4

"Onua snores" is a subsection of "Onua falls asleep a lot because of his laid-back and peaceful attitude" which actually gives us a nice amount of info on Onua. :t (the snores part is to be funny, yes, but is that a bad thing? being funny? :0)

When this is suppost to be bionicle, there is no room for stupid comedy. G1 did it ONCE G2 is doing it IN THE BIOS.

When this is suppost to be bionicle, there is no room for stupid comedy. G1 did it ONCE G2 is doing it IN THE BIOS.

...I remember G1 having some humor more than just once...

• Upvote 5

|

I just watched the Bionicle movie "Web of Shadows" for the first time. It's part of me trying to familiarize myself with the older material, to try and maybe understand the appeal.

And that movie was full of stupid comedy. And teenage angst metaphors.

At his admittedly early point in my studies into the history of Bionicle storylines I am left mightily wanting compared to the high accolades that are being heaped onto it.

Edit: Please don't misunderstand that as a defense of the current storyline, which is vey simple and straightforward as well.

Edited by WorkbenchManiac
  • Upvote 4

"Another Hafu original!" Was that not childish comedy? Tell me you didn't find Turaga Vakama smacking a Rahkshi on the head funny. Or Matau's tendency to be splattered against every solid object in Metru Nui? Sure, the comedy dropped in later years, as we came closer to the climax of the story, but we still had the dark humour that was the Mutran Chronicles. That little blue Agori was funny as well.

• Upvote 3

G1 did it ONCE

if G1 did it ONCE, then i would obviously not be the Bionicle fan i am today, so clearly G1 did it at least TWICE. or maybe MULTIPLE TIMES when humor was needed. (also why are you CAPITALIZING certain WORDS in your SENTENCES?)
It's supposed to be emphasis, so I guess DW doesn't know BBCode for bold, italics or underlining. Edited by Regitnui

"Another Hafu original!" Was that not childish comedy? Tell me you didn't find Turaga Vakama smacking a Rahkshi on the head funny. Or Matau's tendency to be splattered against every solid object in Metru Nui? Sure, the comedy dropped in later years, as we came closer to the climax of the story, but we still had the dark humour that was the Mutran Chronicles. That little blue Agori was funny as well.

How about the Kapura fart, or the dancing Le-Matoran, or Matau getting friend zoned by Nokama, or Iruini's entrance in Web of Shadows, or...

You know, I'd love to list, but I have a life to live.

• Upvote 3

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

G1 did it ONCE

if G1 did it ONCE, then i would obviously not be the Bionicle fan i am today, so clearly G1 did it at least TWICE. or maybe MULTIPLE TIMES when humor was needed. (also why are you CAPITALIZING certain WORDS in your SENTENCES?)

So to be a BIONICLE fan you have to like dumb kiddish jokes? This explains so much about you :)

And I capitalize words to give them EMPHASIS.

G1 did it ONCE

So to be a BIONICLE fan you have to like dumb kiddish jokes? This explains so much about you :)

And I capitalize words to give them EMPHASIS.

yes, explains so much about me, like my actual sense of humor and good nature. :T

(also, a tip: when you CAPITALIZE FOR EMPHASIS, your words start to SOUND LIKE AN MSPAINTADVENTURES INTRO. but that's just MY PERSONAL OPINION there.)

• Upvote 2

When this is suppost to be bionicle, there is no room for stupid comedy.

We experienced very different Bionicles, I think. You can't have watched a single one of the movies or even read a single book and still think Bionicle has never done things for laughs.

I think DW is a little hypocritical, being a transformers fan who's critcisizing Bionicle for being childish and 'snap and click'. Though I guess the spinning parts and dual-mode of transformers models elevates them far above the dual weapon-modes and spinning arms of the Toa Okoto.

• Upvote 2

We experienced very different Bionicles, I think. You can't have watched a single one of the movies or even read a single book and still think Bionicle has never done things for laughs.

I think DW is a little hypocritical, being a transformers fan who's critcisizing Bionicle for being childish and 'snap and click'. Though I guess the spinning parts and dual-mode of transformers models elevates them far above the dual weapon-modes and spinning arms of the Toa Okoto.

DW has also said before that he doesn't like reboots, which makes DW even more of a hypocrite as a transformers fan.

• Upvote 3

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

Avoiding the done-to-death debate about humor's place in Bionicle...

Let me clarify a little, first, in case anyone was confused. By "modern Technic panels" I'm referring to the standard that began in mid-2008, with the panels used on sets like that year's Bionicle vehicles. The variety exploded from that point onward, but the important factor is that those panels set a new standard—they were smooth, with basic angles and curves and tons of connection points. They're best contrasted with the panels used in earlier Technic or Bionicle, like the ones on the Tarakava's head or the Muaka's shoulders—the unusual curves of those panels made them less than ideal for getting a specific shape for vehicles.

There are two main ways to get modern Technic panels: buying Technic sets, or Bricklink. I tend to prefer the latter, as every time my family gets a Technic set it ends up being too dang cool to take apart for pieces, and often too complex to just "borrow" pieces from. Of course, panels do appear in more than just Technic sets—special shout-out to the Milano from the Guardians of the Galaxy theme, which is the only set to have offered panels in the very versatile Silver Metallic.

On LDD, Technic panels are found in the category tagged with a spoiler (the automotive kind, silly, what did you think I meant?). Here's the full list of what's available: 11946 and 11947 (2x5 angle panels), 87080 and 87086 (3x5 angle panels), 64391 and 64683 (3x7 angle panels), 64693 and 64681 (3x11 angle panels), 62531 (3x11 curved panel), 11954 (3x11 curved panel with more connection points), 64394 and 64680 (5x7 angle panels), 64392 and 64682 (5x11 angle panels), 15458 (3x11 flat rectangular panel), and 64782 (5x11 flat rectangular panel).

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yes, but Transformers toys aren't constructable action figures. (Well, some are, but they're shellformer-y and honestly pretty terrible.) It's comparing apples to oranges. Sure, I can hold the Star Wars constraction figures next to other Star Wars action figures and say, "Gee, these other action figures sure do a better job of representing the character", but that's a disingenous comparison, as those other figures are not hampered by the need to be made out of LEGO pieces.

That said, there are a lot of parallels between the things DW hates about Bionicle and things that Transformers does, but I think it's a bit hasty to label him hypocritical; he could be as harsh and overbearing about Transformers as he is about Bionicle.

edit: just occurred to me that last part might have been sarcastic. oops.

Edited by Dina Saruyama

OP here. When was this ever a thread about Gen2's story?? :dozingoff:

This was supposed to be about a building system, and basically the sets of 2015, not the story...

Anywho, I myself am not impressed by the story so far, but its way too early to judge it (I await the books). Also, the animations haven't really been very "childish" at all. The characters seem to be pretty normal to me. The Toa seem pretty tough, especially their voices (e.g. Pohatu).

I was never a fan of the original BIONICLE movies. The humor was pretty bland and the animation was...strange (The Legend Reborn was much better in that regard). One of the things I hated the most was how just because Matoran are small, they have to have kid voices. Why? They're supposed to be normal people, who are 100s of years old. Just cuz there small doesn't make them children! But that didn't keep me from being a huge fan of the comics.

Okay, back to the topic of the thread now.

• Upvote 1

I also don't care for the New Toas chest plate, it looks like a bra. And in Kopakas case, he has nipples.

What's wrong with bras? ;)

In Gali's case, it works very well. On the other Toa, their shoulder armour mitigates the effect well in person. The wider torso armour on Tahu and Lewa also helps.

• Upvote 2

G1 did it ONCE

Wait, what? Since when? Sure, I like the comedy, but I like Bionicle for more than just that!

• Upvote 2

|

I also don't care for the New Toas chest plate, it looks like a bra. And in Kopakas case, he has nipples.

In Gali's case, it works very well. On the other Toa, their shoulder armour mitigates the effect well in person. The wider torso armour on Tahu and Lewa also helps.

You still have bionipples.

You still have bionipples.

Both genders have nipples, ya know. :P

• Upvote 1

|

Just so you all know, I only like G1 beast wars and the movies. So no, I am not hypocritical, I have misgivings to many Transformer continuities.

At least youre consistently insufferable.

(The movies, though? Come on, this is too easy. How can you claim to hate childish jokes and simple, meaningless stories and love a Michael Bay movie?)

I also don't care for the New Toas chest plate, it looks like a bra.

This is one of the silliest criticisms of CCBS I've ever seen. The meagerest of chest bumps is enough to call it a bra? Honestly. I don't see how it's inherently more boob-like than pec-like.

Edited by Dina Saruyama
  • Upvote 7