What don't you like about CCBS?

jmflem

A few shells (not bones, since bones exist to be covered) with similar details will help the CCBS bionicle feel a little more like G1.

Not all of the bones. I point to this image I uploaded on my DeviantArt gallery (original image is from here, just can't find the article) of Skull Basher's legs. His femurs are very skeletal looking, with no ball to put armor on. And from that image as well, you see the (prototype) new armor add ons which have extreme detail on them.

His femurs are very skeletal and if he were a human they would be anatomically incorrect but this is a toy line we are talking about so I will not look at that seriously.  I disagree with you about the armor add ons having extreme detail.  Although I will say they do have slight detail.

Add ons + slight detail = no.

Saying the add ons have slight detail is like saying old Bio pieces had no detail.

It really depends on the add-on in question. There are some add-ons like this one (or to an even greater extent, the new shoulder add-ons from the upcoming Star Wars constraction sets) that have a very subtle texture but make big changes to the shape and size of the armor. Then there are others like this one that add a lot of texture but hardly change the shape or size.

Overall, I don't think the BIONICLE add-ons fit either of those categories. They add a lot of texture AND they have a considerable impact on the overall shape of the armor. This is especially true of the new ones from the villain sets. I'd say they're on par with some of the shell pieces from the Barraki in terms of their level of detail.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

Aanchir, following the thread of discussion, I believe they were referring specifically to the Bone Warrior armour add-ons, though I could be mistaken.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

A few shells (not bones, since bones exist to be covered) with similar details will help the CCBS bionicle feel a little more like G1.

Not all of the bones. I point to this image I uploaded on my DeviantArt gallery (original image is from here, just can't find the article) of Skull Basher's legs. His femurs are very skeletal looking, with no ball to put armor on. And from that image as well, you see the (prototype) new armor add ons which have extreme detail on them.

His femurs are very skeletal and if he were a human they would be anatomically incorrect but this is a toy line we are talking about so I will not look at that seriously.  I disagree with you about the armor add ons having extreme detail.  Although I will say they do have slight detail.

Saying the add ons have slight detail is like saying old Bio pieces had no detail.

It really depends on the add-on in question. There are some add-ons like this one (or to an even greater extent, the new shoulder add-ons from the upcoming Star Wars constraction sets) that have a very subtle texture but make big changes to the shape and size of the armor. Then there are others like this one that add a lot of texture but hardly change the shape or size.

Overall, I don't think the BIONICLE add-ons fit either of those categories. They add a lot of texture AND they have a considerable impact on the overall shape of the armor. This is especially true of the new ones from the villain sets. I'd say they're on par with some of the shell pieces from the Barraki in terms of their level of detail.

I wasn't actually refering to what the add-ons did once they were on the armor, I was refering to those little details you see on the pieces (the round ones had those little lines and circles and what not).

BTW, you're awesome at debates.

Aanchir, following the thread of discussion, I believe they were referring specifically to the Bone Warrior armour add-ons, though I could be mistaken.

I was refering to all add ons in general.

Speaking of add ons, I think I have a strange obsession with them....

Textured shells would be brilliant, especially on a sort of Rahi build.

I did realise the Skulls had uncovered bones as part of their aesthetic. While I was typing in the other thread. Needless to say, the thread moved on. Still, the bones would, in ninety-percent of the models, be covered by shells, or am.I wrong?

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Textured shells would be brilliant, especially on a sort of Rahi build.

I did realise the Skulls had uncovered bones as part of their aesthetic. While I was typing in the other thread. Needless to say, the thread moved on. Still, the bones would, in ninety-percent of the models, be covered by shells, or am.I wrong?

YUSH!

No, you're right, I was just pointing that not all CCBS bones are covered. Furno 3.0 did it as well, actually.

The top of the new skull gang cladding part very vaguely reminds me of the top of the skull spider masks, just all decayed and such...I like it for that reason, though I'll agree with Dina that it sticks out a bit oddly.

AXKP5KC.png

:glare: :???:  You don't see it do you?  Never mind.  :bored:

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

At first I didn't like the look of the summer villains, but now they're really growing on me and I really like them. Same thing happened with the first wave, but now they're my favorite Toa sets ever made.

• Upvote 1

The thread is called "What don't you like" and people are still rushing in to defend it.

Well, the thread was made with the intention of the OP dispelling some common myths used to criticize it. It was never going to be an echo chamber where any criticism flies, no matter how irrational.

"I don't want this to turn into a G1 nostalgia war."

>Top kek

• Upvote 1

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

MARVEL had violence, and a bit of language.  And I watched the pg-13 movies before I was 13.  Pacific Rim just has a bit of language, and sci-fi violence.  Honestly, why did Lego make Marvel?  And why don't they make Pacific Rim(I know that answer, so please don't tell me)?

Because Marvel is in the business to sell merchandise. That is how they make their money. The movies have always been an (albeit well constructed) vehicle to sell licensed goods.

Pacific Rim was never about that and that is not how Guillermo Del Toro chose to do his business.

We've strayed about as far from the topic as we can however. Let's wrangle this back on-discussion, please.

Ok.  No wonder.

No.  Not really.

Yes, really.

I checked it and it could use SO many improvements for the way I see it.

• Upvote 1

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

A tacked on shell does not make up for a lack of detail.

A 'tacked-on' shell that contributes notably and well to a character's immediate visual silhouette is of course an utter waste of time.

I actually dislike the over-detailing on the old parts, because it makes layering them awkward.

• Upvote 3

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I actually dislike the over-detailing on the old parts, because it makes layering them awkward.

This is possibly the biggest downside to the otherwise amazing aesthetic of the armor detailing that started right at the Metru Nui Saga, personally.

• Upvote 2

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

MARVEL had violence, and a bit of language.  And I watched the pg-13 movies before I was 13.  Pacific Rim just has a bit of language, and sci-fi violence.  Honestly, why did Lego make Marvel?  And why don't they make Pacific Rim(I know that answer, so please don't tell me)?

Because Marvel is in the business to sell merchandise. That is how they make their money. The movies have always been an (albeit well constructed) vehicle to sell licensed goods.

Pacific Rim was never about that and that is not how Guillermo Del Toro chose to do his business.

We've strayed about as far from the topic as we can however. Let's wrangle this back on-discussion, please.

Ok.  No wonder.

No.  Not really.

Yes, really.

That's because you think everything to do with CCBS is bad.

• Upvote 2

Ok.  No wonder.

No.  Not really.

Yes, really.

Nope.  For me, only 40% of ccbs  parts (which is very little)works for my mocs and creations.  But what about you and bbs?   :glare: 

Edited by Gipsy Danger
  • Upvote 2

Ok.  No wonder.

No.  Not really.

Yes, really.

Nope.  For me, only 40% of ccbs  parts (which is very little)works for my mocs and creations.  But what about you and bbs?   :glare: 

I have trouble believing that percentage.

As for me, I only have a Claw, a Climbing Claw, a handful of Bohrok eyes, a Guurahk Staff, and a Drill of Onua. That's not enough to judge the system as a whole.

Ok.  No wonder.

No.  Not really.

Yes, really.

As for me, I only have a Claw, a Climbing Claw, a handful of Bohrok eyes, a Guurahk Staff, and a Drill of Onua. That's not enough to judge the system as a whole.

I'm thinking that's hard to believe...  

• Upvote 1

"I'm thinking that's hard to believe..." 

And why's that? I don't have any old Bionicle sets. The reason I have those pieces is because a friend gave them to me.

And why's that? I don't have any old Bionicle sets. The reason I have those pieces is because a friend gave them to me.

Oh.  I thought you got them from online sellers.  Ok.  Look, we've been basically fighting for, like, a year now and can we be friends and forget about fighting about bbs and ccbs?

• Upvote 1

Oh.  I thought you got them from online sellers.  Ok.  Look, we've been basically fighting for, like, a year now and can we be friends and forget about fighting about bbs and ccbs?

If I got them from online sellers, I sure as heck wouldn't've taken the sets aparts.:P

As for being friends, I want to be your friend, but it'll be hard to do if you keep bashing CCBS. If you state your dislike for it in a different way ("I don't really like CCBS because of its lack of detail, and to me it feels too simple."), then I'll be your friend no problem (same goes for HF and Bio '15).

• Upvote 2

If I got them from online sellers, I sure as heck wouldn't've taken the sets aparts. :P

As for being friends, I want to be your friend, but it'll be hard to do if you keep bashing CCBS. If you state your dislike for it in a different way ("I don't really like CCBS because of its lack of detail, and to me it feels too simple."), then I'll be your friend no problem (same goes for HF and Bio '15).

Got it.  Now I do like ccbs, but not the shells.  I think ccbs with no shells looks cooler and more realistic... So I basically like both BBS and CCBS.

• Upvote 2

If I got them from online sellers, I sure as heck wouldn't've taken the sets aparts. :P

Got it.  Now I do like ccbs, but not the shells.  I think ccbs with no shells looks cooler and more realistic... So I basically like both BBS and CCBS.

In certain cases, I like that too, it can give a nice skeletal feel to the body, if needed. :3

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I also like certain CCBS beams without shells, namely the 5M beams. On their own I think they look quite nice, and the bulge of the ball joint makes them feel sort of muscular. XT4 pulled off this look quite well, as did Toxic Reapa.

Now, I'm not so fond of the longer beams like 6M and 7M ones being used without shells or armor of any kind. Not only does the extra length make them feel spindly rather than muscular, but additionally, the Technic pin holes make them feel very gappy. It still works OK for some models (like the new General Grievous constraction set) that are supposed to look creepy, robotic, and skeletal, but not so well for ones that otherwise have a considerably more solid design.

• Upvote 3

In certain cases, I like that too, it can give a nice skeletal feel to the body, if needed. :3

For me, its needed.

ofc, with no shells you have the problem of all the limbs looking the same. and a lack of mass in most cases. :0

Personally, I do like how the current Toa basically have shells covering all of their limbs, but the limbs of the Protectors or Skull Villains also make for a neat effect. It's really all about what you prefer or what sort of look you're going for. It's nice to have options, at any rate.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with CCBS on paper. The problem I have with it is the execution of its system in finalized sets.

CCBS is, as we know, a three-layer system. You have a generic skeleton, which you cover with generic shells, which you then cover with armor add-ons to give it a unique look. My problem is that the third layer doesn't seem to be utilized as often as it could be. With sets such as Brain Attack Breez, or even the new Protectors, you can see that one armor add-on can make a huge difference. However, the variety of armor add-ons is very slim, and that lack of variety in the third layer can make the whole system seem bland.

As for the other drawbacks with the system, I don't mind them really. I just think that they should make more armor add-ons to expand the options for customization.

• Upvote 3

Personally, I don't have much of a problem with CCBS on paper. The problem I have with it is the execution of its system in finalized sets.

CCBS is, as we know, a three-layer system. You have a generic skeleton, which you cover with generic shells, which you then cover with armor add-ons to give it a unique look. My problem is that the third layer doesn't seem to be utilized as often as it could be. With sets such as Brain Attack Breez, or even the new Protectors, you can see that one armor add-on can make a huge difference. However, the variety of armor add-ons is very slim, and that lack of variety in the third layer can make the whole system seem bland.

As for the other drawbacks with the system, I don't mind them really. I just think that they should make more armor add-ons to expand the options for customization.

For a lot of HF sets I don't like how the system was used. Some sets look great though, like Toxic Reapa (now I wanna buy him :P ) and most of the 3.0 series. I think the addition of Technic helped a lot in the new Bionicle line, and the overall designs are much better than any of the HF heroes IMO. I do really like the new piston add-on, and couldn't agree more with wanting more add-ons. Also more specialized bones would be nice, as opposed to shells like most people want. We'll be seeing some of this with the new skeleton bones this summer. More stuff like that I would love to see.

For a lot of HF sets I don't like how the system was used. Some sets look great though, like Toxic Reapa (now I wanna buy him :P ) and most of the 3.0 series. I think the addition of Technic helped a lot in the new Bionicle line, and the overall designs are much better than any of the HF heroes IMO. I do really like the new piston add-on, and couldn't agree more with wanting more add-ons. Also more specialized bones would be nice, as opposed to shells like most people want. We'll be seeing some of this with the new skeleton bones this summer. More stuff like that I would love to see.

And this is why Bionicle is good for and in CCBS. G1 got us used to new pieces and designs regularly, so G2 should bring a wealth of new bones, shells and add-ons to the system

I find I like bare bones when the model is small, but not when the model is medium or large. The Toa just look silly without shells, but the skeletal Skulls rock the look quite well. It all cones down to intention and preference. I like my models having shape, so I like the shells.

• Upvote 1

And this is why Bionicle is good for and in CCBS. G1 got us used to new pieces and designs regularly, so G2 should bring a wealth of new bones, shells and add-ons to the system

I find I like bare bones when the model is small, but not when the model is medium or large. The Toa just look silly without shells, but the skeletal Skulls rock the look quite well. It all cones down to intention and preference. I like my models having shape, so I like the shells.

None of the new Toa have uncovered bones, IIRC.

None of the new Toa have uncovered bones, IIRC.

I think they were acknowledging that as a good design choice for them.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother