Poll: Size the Mata Nui robot

How big do you like dem giant robotz?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This one's short: 

Re: maze core: 

I was suggesting the unnamed explosive was in the core, the EP would actually be embedded in it.

I think someone else suggested/implied this before Thormen brought it up - basically it's the idea that EP is in a bunch of rock tubes winding around inside in the Core of Spherus Magna.

(Another theory that has holes in it, but that's what it is.) 

Re: Acidity: Uh, well if the EP ate its way through the rock to get to the core, how did it not keep eating through the rock and destroy the planet? I'm pretty sure that EP's reaction with that rock, if there was one, had to be transformation, not destruction. Otherwise, Spherus Magna would be entirely destroyed. :P

I get the pipe moving from core thing. Yeah, that makes sense. 

Re: Acidity: Uh, well if the EP ate its way through the rock to get to the core, how did it not keep eating through the rock and destroy the planet? I'm pretty sure that EP's reaction with that rock, if there was one, had to be transformation, not destruction. Otherwise, Spherus Magna would be entirely destroyed. :P

Because the whole planet isn't a single substance as mentioned earlier (presumably), and once it reaches the center, gravity would keep it in place. It was also proposed that transformation of the immediately touching rock into a resistant form (like maybe exsidian) could be the final step, until later for some reason some EP started moving up to form the spring.

To the earlier long post, all I really have to say is something I didn't have time to mention before -- as far as I know it isn't my idea. I have no idea who at the time first recognized that it was the obvious implication from the canon, maybe it was me, maybe somebody else or lots of others. It appears to be the canon's writers' idea, but if it is somehow a wrong theory, it's whoever's theory who first suggested it (at least to those like maybe me who heard it from others). I didn't mind it being called mine too much since I do agree with it obviously, but then there's the angle of seeming to steal credit (and forgetting who exactly actually deserves the credit... not something I usually care about lol), so FTR.

Edit: Also, I would think that the things I pointed out would also be "doughnuts" in the analogy. Gaining more ability to appreciate a wider range of variation can only be a good thing. :) And my pointing out a practical way to go about it should be taken as help in doing so. I'd also suggest, though I think you get this now, that if to offer a doughnut you feel you have to fire a cannonball at somebody else, maybe that's a doughnut you should claim for yourself, unless you're on a diet. Or something. :lol:

Okay, let's say... a delicious salad. :P

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

*looks out over topic* Wow. Yeah, I guess most people like their robots smaller than GregF's size. I guess I'll have to allocate for that in the future. And all this geography stuff is still an unresolved question. I got a lot more than I bargained for with this one.

And given what this topic was designed to do...irony. So. Much. Irony. 

fishers, I'm gonna have to read most of your post later, but just FTR in case you were worried, I wasn't offended. :) I just saw you calling something boring, that I didn't find boring, and while I accept that due to your tastes it's perfectly okay for it to be, just wanted to try to explain some of why I personally don't find it so. :)

Also, I thought I said it may be going on here, not was. *checks back real quick* Well, "probably", but yeah. "May" or "might" would have been better, as well as my usual emphasis on "something to consider and ignore if it's not the case" -- but for longtime members I usually drop that as I presume most of them would get that automatically. :shrugs: Maybe it's best to err on the side of always mentioning that if I bring it up at all?

Yes please. And please, for the sake of all that's good in the world, make clear who you're referring to. If you're referring to me, say fishers. 

You said "what's going on here" which I thought applied to Thormen instead of me. *sigh*

Alright, mistake accounted for, I knew my tendency for bad jokes would catch up to me eventually, moving on. I'm starting to get it, I think.  

Because the whole planet isn't a single substance as mentioned earlier (presumably), and once it reaches the center, gravity would keep it in place. It was also proposed that transformation of the immediately touching rock into a resistant form (like maybe exsidian) could be the final step, until later for some reason some EP started moving up to form the spring.

Isn't that more complicated than supposing that the planet formed around the EP to begin with? :P

Eh, whatever, maybe it isn't. Any sort of hypothesis for that planet's formation is a complication anyway. :shrugs:

To the earlier long post, all I really have to say is something I didn't have time to mention before -- as far as I know it isn't my idea. I have no idea who at the time first recognized that it was the obvious implication from the canon, maybe it was me, maybe somebody else or lots of others. It appears to be the canon's writers' idea, but if it is somehow a wrong theory, it's whoever's theory who first suggested it (at least to those like maybe me who heard it from others). I didn't mind it being called mine too much since I do agree with it obviously, but then there's the angle of seeming to steal credit (and forgetting who exactly actually deserves the credit... not something I usually care about lol), so FTR.

Edit: Also, I would think that the things I pointed out would also be "doughnuts" in the analogy. Gaining more ability to appreciate a wider range of variation can only be a good thing. :) And my pointing out a practical way to go about it should be taken as help in doing so. I'd also suggest, though I think you get this now, that if to offer a doughnut you feel you have to fire a cannonball at somebody else, maybe that's a doughnut you should claim for yourself, unless you're on a diet. Or something. :lol:

Okay, let's say... a delicious salad. :P

And there's the expected response. :P I'm not perfect lol, so no leg to stand on here. Yes, go complain about me some more. :P And yes, I like all of those doughnuts and will happily eat all of them for myself, because I'm a terrible person. :P (You could have tried telling me that paragraph to start with - "I don't appreciate your joke because of *insert paragraph here*" and I would have gone back on it. I'm not that horrible.)

All I got to say is, if you continue to fight against human nature itself, you will not succeed. I hope you eventually learn this. Although every single piece of evidence suggests that you won't, and your stubbornness is hilarious to watch on a good day. (Which is why it's so freaking hard to resist joking about it! :P)

On a bad day, not so much. I still have some tastes where your level of insensitivity is not welcome. Fortunately, those aren't visible on BZPower very much, so I don't have much problem if you want to "help" me, I guess (although I think it is a pointless exercise, since you will be hilariously wrong most of the time, but if it makes your world tick, go forth). The problem becomes when others have tastes that they are attached to that are visible. But I've already said that, and you didn't listen, so I'll stop beating the dead horse. 

FTR, not on a diet lol. *looks a Sprite bottle next to computer* Besides, these are calorie-free self-improvement donuts, approved by every weight loss plan everywhere!

I agree with most of that. :) (But I don't see myself as fighting human nature but as a student of it. :) And it does seem like my asking did get him to "open the vault" and make it clearer why he was disagreeing -- the thing about Ockham's Razor. A little uneasy about the whole analogy too, BTW, as it seems kind of manipulative. I don't want to trick them into opening the vault the way I might get my dog to want to eat by putting some treats in the food; I prefer to appeal to people as people who can recognize when they should open up a vault as it were.) But this has gotten far afield now, so if you wanna know more, best to take it to PM at this point I'd say.

On-topic: Do you think maybe a poll about specific sizes might be worth it at this point? I have no idea, and given how early on here tempers flared, not sure it would be wise... but we shouldn't let the canon suffer just because of that, if this is a problem we can come to a consensus on a proposal to bring to Greg. (And we can always remind people of the rules here.) But I for one am a little curious if people are thinking "down to half" like I am or something even smaller. (Or even "nowhere near as small as half but a bit smaller.)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'll survive until the next debate, methinks. (:P?) We may not be 100% on the same page, but I don't think we necessarily have to be. :) 

On-topic: Do you think maybe a poll about specific sizes might be worth it at this point? I have no idea, and given how early on here tempers flared, not sure it would be wise... but we shouldn't let the canon suffer just because of that, if this is a problem we can come to a consensus on a proposal to bring to Greg. (And we can always remind people of the rules here.) But I for one am a little curious if people are thinking "down to half" like I am or something even smaller. (Or even "nowhere near as small as half but a bit smaller.)

I wouldn't be opposed. I'd just wonder which sizes - a lot of people were saying Christian Faber's size, so if I were going to do it, I'd test Greg's against Faber's as one question, then test ranges like "More than 20 million", "Less than 10 million", "Less than 1 million", etc.

Might be slightly better as a discussion topic, because everyone can throw out their pet number. Although poll topics are just that - topics - and can take people's responses in that sense. Including an "Other (please specify in post)" option somewhere might be encouraging to get a full picture of the demographics. 

I haven't been following this topic, but I'm just gonna leave this here:

Note: that planet is Earth, not AM

We've already been over that a couple times. <_< That is a preliminary, non-canon representation.

It's from Faber :shrugs: . Like I said, I haven't been following this topic.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username.