What Packaging would you like to see for Bionicle 2015?

Owlexander

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First of all, Bionicle 2015, as far as new reveals go, is over. It's 2016 you should be worried about. Also, you selected the "Allow multiple choice" option, and I think it would be better if you turned that off.

Now that I've got that out of the way, look at some of my arguments in the Mistika canister discussion. I feel like I'd be wasting my breath if I said it again. 

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

First of all, Bionicle 2015, as far as new reveals go, is over. It's 2016 you should be worried about. Also, you selected the "Allow multiple choice" option, and I think it would be better if you turned that off.

Now that I've got that out of the way, look at some of my arguments in the Mistika canister discussion. I feel like I'd be wasting my breath if I said it again. 

There, I've changed the question, happy now? <_<

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Canisters all the way. I could care less about 'art all the way around'--I'm not buying it for the pretty pictures. And besides, trash will get recycled whether you do it or not.

• Upvote 2

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Canisters all the way. I could care less about 'art all the way around'--I'm not buying it for the pretty pictures. And besides, trash will get recycled whether you do it or not.

I would be ok with the foil bags, I loved those, but I also wouldn't mind a canister. I just don't want a cardboard cereal box for Bionicle's reboot.

• Upvote 1

|

I actually really like the boxes. They're big enough that they can give a clear picture of the character and sufficient information on the back. Since they are bigger sets now they require bags to hold the parts, and having bags in a canister would be kinda weird. Idk, just would be :P . Canisters aren't very useful to me either. I don't store the sets in them so I don't really need them; they just take up space. I do still keep the cardboard boxes though, cuz I'm like that...also cardboard is more eco-friendly. I'm not a huge "green advocate" or whatever but it is nice to care for the planet. Canisters would be pretty nostalgic though! :D  I guess I don't care too much, though I highly doubt Lego will return to using canisters.

Edit: Oh yeah I also like the shape of them like Rahkshi said ^^

Edited by jmflem
  • Upvote 2

I voted cardboard boxes. I did generally prefer the foil pouches from Hero Factory to both boxes and canisters, but now that Bionicle's gotten started with the boxes it just makes sense to keep rolling with the visual identity established by those. Of course, I wouldn't mind if they added a bit more thickness to the cardboard just to make the boxes sturdier, and I'm all for them continuing to experiment with new box shapes, just as they did with the canisters of old.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I voted cardboard boxes. I did generally prefer the foil pouches from Hero Factory to both boxes and canisters, but now that Bionicle's gotten started with the boxes it just makes sense to keep rolling with the visual identity established by those. Of course, I wouldn't mind if they added a bit more thickness to the cardboard just to make the boxes sturdier, and I'm all for them continuing to experiment with new box shapes, just as they did with the canisters of old.

2015: angled boxes, 2016: round boxes somehow. 2017: tesseract boxes.

2018+: ???

• Upvote 2

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I voted cardboard boxes. Like I said in the Mistika canister topic, I don't really care what the set comes in, as long as the set itself is good. But cardboard boxes are a little easier to store if you want to keep them, which is what I'm doing. So I voted for them.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Collapsable, recyclable and biodegradable cardboooooaaaaarrrrddddd 

Collapsible, recyclable Shia LaBeouf.

Anywho, I would want canisters, if only for the nostalgia, but I think it would have worked better if they'd started with that this year, so I'll go with boxes. Voted for both, though.

Ugh, the foil from Hero Factory just cheapened the whole thing in my opinion.

banner.jpg

I'd love the foil pouches back (they were the most practical LEGO packages ever), but I don't think it's going to happen. As far as I can tell, cardboard like the new sets use is both cheaper (from a logistical standpoint at least) and more environmentally friendly than the foil pouches. Plus for some reason there are a lot of people who seem to think flimsy cardboard packaging is higher quality than sturdy foil pouches with tight zipper seals? I'll never understand that but I guess that's how it's gonna be.

If we do stick with the cardboard packages, though, I hope they switch to using a heavier stock, at least for the $20 sets. Those ones' packages seem to be the most prone to damage, from my experience.

We definitely shouldn't go back to hard plastic canisters. They were good for their time, but LEGO has evolved past that.

• Upvote 2

Cardboard, because I can simply collapse and store them without taking up a ton of space. I'd like more distinction between the boxes of the large and small sets though, as the protector boxes are hardly smaller than the toa boxes. So maybe a combination of rectangular and angled boxes, or foil packs for the small sets.

Carboard/foil should keep costs down and maybe allow for a few essential recolours like Tahu's hands/feet or a new mold.

I don't mean to insult anyone, and I just want to ask this question: Why do you want to keep the containers? I mean, once you build the sets, why would you need the boxes anymore? It really seems like a waste of space to me. If anyone who does this could explain to me, I'd appreciate it greatly.

I don't mean to insult anyone, and I just want to ask this question: Why do you want to keep the containers? I mean, once you build the sets, why would you need the boxes anymore? It really seems like a waste of space to me. If anyone who does this could explain to me, I'd appreciate it greatly.

It's just a prettier way of storing parts, really.

• Upvote 1

|

They're puuurdy. Idk, OCD kinda thing I guess :P

Also they're nice to include if you ever plan on selling the sets. People tend to like original canisters/boxes.

• Upvote 1

In my case, mostly for the beautiful graphics. I'm a sucker for quality design, whatever form it might take.

Certain types of packages (especially canisters, resealable pouches, and boxes with reclosable tabs... in other words, most forms of constraction packaging) can also be useful for storage and/or travel, whether you're storing the sets themselves or just loose parts.

• Upvote 2

Mostly because of need to transport sets and parts around, like when I move.

Mostly because of need to transport sets and parts around, like when I move.

Right, but the original containers are usually rather impractical in this sense. They usually can't hold the original set completely built, and they're not super amazing at holding parts. When I visit my little cousin this summer, I'm gonna bring all of my gen2 sets, so I'm most likely gonna take them all apart and put them in a gallon-zip-lock bag or two. I feel there would be a lot of wasted space if I brought the sets in their original containers (which have actually long been recycled).

Right, but the original containers are usually rather impractical in this sense. They usually can't hold the original set completely built, and they're not super amazing at holding parts. When I visit my little cousin this summer, I'm gonna bring all of my gen2 sets, so I'm most likely gonna take them all apart and put them in a gallon-zip-lock bag or two. I feel there would be a lot of wasted space if I brought the sets in their original containers (which have actually long been recycled).

The nice thing was, the reeaaaallly old canisters (like from 2001) were designed to be able to hold the whole set, with a little disassembling. They also were built into the story, so you could play with them too. If the canisters came back, I'd like to see ones like those that were practical and had a story purpose. Not the giant bulky things they had in later years....

For practicality reasons, I would say the Cardboard boxes are probably the best. But I voted for the canisters, just for the nostalgia. (and the play/storage value.) Plus, they also made great pencil holders.

• Upvote 1

Defy Expectations

What I do is put all the sets in one ginourmous drawer or box, and put the smaller sets in their original packaging to avoid them losing parts or mixing up parts with other sets.  

I want to see canisters return.

Canisters for the win. 

I just hate the foil bags. they're so unauthentic- and not stackable.

As for the cardboard boxes... Well, they're kind of flimsy and flammable, not long-lasting at all, the worst of the three.

• Upvote 1

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

It's a conjecture.

Here's another conjecture: canisters would melt if you brought them with you to take photos of lava.

Conjecture: canisters would crack into pieces if you rolled over them with a steam roller. (Bonus: the other two types of packaging wouldn't.)

Conjecture: if you put a lizard in the canister it will probably get filthy.

Man, all these conjectures about unlikely things are making canisters look pretty bad. Sure, they're not likely to happen, but it's conjecture.

• Upvote 4

It's a conjecture.

Here's another conjecture: canisters would melt if you brought them with you to take photos of lava.

Conjecture: canisters would crack into pieces if you rolled over them with a steam roller. (Bonus: the other two types of packaging wouldn't.)

Man, all these conjectures about unlikely things are making canisters look pretty bad. Sure, they're not likely to happen, but it's conjecture.

Thank you. Just what I meant.

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

It's a conjecture.

Thank you. Just what I meant.

I think she was teasing you, actually.

Calm down folks, it's just plastic and cardboard... c:

Right, but it just so happens that the cardboard is environmentally friendly and more cost-efficient than the plastic. Frankly, I don't care about anyone's nostalgia when it comes to helping our planet. Like, get over it! It's there because it's better for us.

Calm down folks, it's just plastic and cardboard... c:

Right, but it just so happens that the cardboard is environmentally friendly and more cost-efficient than the plastic. Frankly, I don't care about anyone's nostalgia when it comes to helping our planet. Like, get over it! It's there because it's better for us.

...dude, it's a piece of cardboard... I mean, I don't really care about packaging either... though I love the foil bags.

|