What Packaging would you like to see for Bionicle 2015?

Owlexander

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know it won't happen, but I loved canisters and I would absolutely be thrilled to have them back. A big part of buying the sets in G1 was seeing the intricate canister designs and (sometimes) the function they served for the set. You just don't get that same satisfaction from a cardboard box.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

yes, Cwog, even after all of that.

I find it funny how you never give any practical reasoning for your decisions, other than just nostalgia.

Guys, let's remember that an preferential opinion is not something that needs to yield to facts. There are plenty of things I personally would love even if there are very good reasons why we will probably never get them—new Bionicle minifigures, a new Bionicle adventure game, Lego My Little Pony...

The canisters had their own appeal—in particular, molded detail that can't really be matched with other packaging styles and durable, and durable, reusable storage space. Just because there are valid reasons why boxes might be less practical doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to prefer canisters for the assets they DID have.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I did in an old thread about packaging. It basiclly boiled down to "a $20 figure should not come in a cereal box".

And that's crossing the line and claiming that "Lego should" cater to your personal taste at the expense of the environment, your fellow fan's storage space, and sound logic. 

Lego can't cater to every single one of everyone's personal tastes and still remain in business. It's not happening. 

• Upvote 1

I did in an old thread about packaging. It basiclly boiled down to "a $20 figure should not come in a cereal box".

And that's crossing the line and claiming that "Lego should" cater to your personal taste at the expense of the environment, your fellow fan's storage space, and sound logic. 

Lego can't cater to every single one of everyone's personal tastes and still remain in business. It's not happening. 

also note: All Lego sets come in boxes, basically. and most action figures come in the even less dignified Blister Pack. :0

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I love the canisters. Easier to store the sets and the canisters are durable. I like the boxes, they are pretty, but if they get smashed they are aesthetically ruined

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Canisters stand out more than bags and boxes and the elitists at lego that don't like canisters really don't realize that kids want canisters

whoah, whoah, which side is the elitists here?

Yeah, of all the criticisms I've seen of the new boxes, "elitism" is the most nonsensical.

Lego has not tried to hide the reasons for the end of canisters. The new boxes are more environmentally friendly, even featuring a certification verifying it. And they're less expensive, meaning that less of the set's cost is tied up in the packaging and more can be devoted to the set itself. Those factors have nothing to do with "elitism"—just with trying to do better by the environment as well as consumers themselves.

And if "kids want canisters" was such a given, why have they never made a fuss about the standard packaging for pretty much all other Lego sets? And where are kids even supposed to have gotten the expectation of sets packaged in canisters? Seems like the only people I've seen whining about the lack of canisters are older fans, well out of the theme's target age range.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

I liked the canisters. They were cool and unique and helped Bionicle stand out even more among the other LEGO lines. But ultimately, the way I get the parts doesn't really matter to me. What counts for me is what's inside the container, regardless if said container is plastic, foil, or cardboard. If thin cardboard boxes is the most economical and Earth-friendly option, more power to LEGO for using them.

Besides, flimsy though they might be, the shapes of the current Bionicle containers are, at the very least, interesting.

• Upvote 1

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

I liked the canisters. They were cool and unique and helped Bionicle stand out even more among the other LEGO lines. But ultimately, the way I get the parts doesn't really matter to me. What counts for me is what's inside the container, regardless if said container is plastic, foil, or cardboard. If thin cardboard boxes is the most economical and Earth-friendly option, more power to LEGO for using them.

Besides, flimsy though they might be, the shapes of the current Bionicle containers are, at the very least, interesting.

Yeah, I would have hardly any problems with the current packages if the cardboard used to construct them were a bit thicker so it wouldn't tear so easily. I really love all the creative things LEGO has done with traditional cardboard packaging, between these, the Speedorz boxes from last year's Legends of Chima sets, and the beveled edges of the LEGO Friends, Disney Princess, and Elves boxes. It goes to show that a company doesn't have to use packaging that is bad for the environment or dramatically inflates the cost of a set just to give it extra shelf presence.

The foil pouches would still have a slight advantage over sturdier cardboard packages in that they could collapse to the size of their contents... in other words, if the package is only half-full, then you could collapse it halfway, instead of having to choose between full-size and collapsed flat. However, if there are environmental benefits of doing away with the foil pouches, I'd be willing to give up that advantage in favor of something new.

• Upvote 1

I'm torn between boxes and canisters. I like canisters because they are oddly satisfying to pop open. That and some of them look cool on display. 

Boxes are more eco friendly and I can fold em down for storage. 

• Upvote 1

Canisters.  They can be integrated into the story and used to hold parts.  :smiletahunu:

The problem with boxes is when you pay for the set; you pay for the packaging as well.  So you might end up throwing away how ever much the packaging cost. (you lose money) :dollarsign:

The bags however could be reused, they might be able to integrate them in to the story.  But my only issue with them was the seal; it never always stayed closed. :(

P.S. If you aren't going to be throwing it away and you are reusing it; then doesn't that mean you just made that thing eco-friendly?  I'm just curious. :???: ^_^  

• Upvote 3

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

Canisters.  They can be integrated into the story and used to hold parts.  :smiletahunu:

The problem with boxes is when you pay for the set; you pay for the packaging as well.  So you might end up throwing away how ever much the packaging cost. (you lose money) :dollarsign:

The bags however could be reused, they might be able to integrate them in to the story.  But my only issue with them was the seal; it never always stayed closed. :(

P.S. If you aren't going to be throwing it away and you are reusing it; then doesn't that mean you just made that thing eco-friendly?  I'm just curious. :???: ^_^

Canisters being eco-friendly because they're not meant to be thrown away is assuming other people have the same priorities as mega-fans. I've seen horrifying accounts of parents even throwing away extra parts, just because they're not needed for the set itself. What's stopping people from just throwing away canisters the same way? As for boxes, even if you do throw them away instead of recycling them, they're biodegradable.

Also, there's the matter of cardboard boxes being cheaper (so they make up less of the cost of the set, and more actual parts can be included), and the fact that canisters are less eco-friendly to PRODUCE (being a more energy-intensive process to mold in the first place).

I found creative uses for the later year canisters:

nuts and bolts containers

plant wind-shields

storage of pool chorine

The most creative use I ever had for a Bionicle canister: catching a snake that had found its way into our basement. There were no other containers handy, so the canister was the easiest way for me to catch the little guy and release him outside. I also tend to use a Toa Nuva canister for transporting neckties when I need to pack fancy clothes for a trip. In general, though, I only use canisters for things like that because they're there—if I didn't have so many canisters cluttering my house, it'd be easy to find alternative storage that might well serve the same function more effectively.

• Upvote 3

Canisters being eco-friendly because they're not meant to be thrown away is assuming other people have the same priorities as mega-fans. I've seen horrifying accounts of parents even throwing away extra parts, just because they're not needed for the set itself. What's stopping people from just throwing away canisters the same way? As for boxes, even if you do throw them away instead of recycling them, they're biodegradable.

Also, there's the matter of cardboard boxes being cheaper (so they make up less of the cost of the set, and more actual parts can be included), and the fact that canisters are less eco-friendly to PRODUCE (being a more energy-intensive process to mold in the first place).

plant wind-shields

storage of pool chorine

The most creative use I ever had for a Bionicle canister: catching a snake that had found its way into our basement. There were no other containers handy, so the canister was the easiest way for me to catch the little guy and release him outside. I also tend to use a Toa Nuva canister for transporting neckties when I need to pack fancy clothes for a trip. In general, though, I only use canisters for things like that because they're there—if I didn't have so many canisters cluttering my house, it'd be easy to find alternative storage that might well serve the same function more effectively.

1: IDK about everyone else, but I flattened my set boxes and stored them in a drawer. For some reason I can't throw my LEGO packaging away....:P

2: *Shudders* I don't like snakes. And yet for some strange reason the Serpentiene are my favorite Ninjago enemy.....

plant wind-shields

storage of pool chorine

1: IDK about everyone else, but I flattened my set boxes and stored them in a drawer. For some reason I can't throw my LEGO packaging away.... :P

2: *Shudders* I don't like snakes. And yet for some strange reason the Serpentiene are my favorite Ninjago enemy.....

Aanchir and I have also been flattening out our set boxes. We've been keeping them in one of the cardboard-backed plastic sleeves that come with the instruction booklets and sticker sheets of larger sets to keep them from getting torn or wrinkled. It's pretty much a perfect fit!

That's also a big part of why I'm glad the new sets aren't in canisters. The 13 boxes we have so far take up about as much space flattened as a single one of the $20 Toa boxes would take up unflattened. That alone should give you a pretty good idea of how much space we're able to save for future sets and their packaging!

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

plant wind-shields

storage of pool chorine

1: IDK about everyone else, but I flattened my set boxes and stored them in a drawer. For some reason I can't throw my LEGO packaging away.... :P

Aanchir and I have also been flattening out our set boxes. We've been keeping them in one of the cardboard-backed plastic sleeves that come with the instruction booklets and sticker sheets of larger sets to keep them from getting torn or wrinkled. It's pretty much a perfect fit!

That's also a big part of why I'm glad the new sets aren't in canisters. The 13 boxes we have so far take up about as much space flattened as a single one of the $20 Toa boxes would take up unflattened. That alone should give you a pretty good idea of how much space we're able to save for future sets and their packaging!

I have to admit, I was originally reluctant to flatten my Bionicle boxes, since I really liked the shape they were. But then I realized it was far more conventional to flatten them.

• Upvote 1

plant wind-shields

storage of pool chorine

"Aanchir and I have also been flattening out our set boxes. We've been keeping them in one of the cardboard-backed plastic sleeves that come with the instruction booklets and sticker sheets of larger sets to keep them from getting torn or wrinkled. It's pretty much a perfect fit!"

Why not just throw away the cardboard boxes and just keep the instructions?  Throwing away cardboard boxes and sticker sheets(if the stickers are still on there, I get it)gives Mocmaker and I more room(Like just a bit more room).  Now I do keep the canisters because their useful.  Just saying.  This was my thought.

plant wind-shields

storage of pool chorine

Great Idea!  You can also use the canisters to put Lego parts in, too.

Have you seen chlorine tablets? Not all come in a huge bucket, some are sold in pairs in baggies.

I never heard of chlorine tablets.  But I did hear hear the word chlorine :P .

Edited by Gipsy Danger

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

Why not just throw away the cardboard boxes and just keep the instructions?  Throwing away cardboard boxes and sticker sheets(if the stickers are still on there, I get it)gives Mocmaker and I more room(Like just a bit more room).  Now I do keep the canisters because their useful.  Just saying.  This was my thought.

I keep the boxes for the same reason I keep my old canisters: to preserve and archive them for future reference. Lego packaging often has graphical elements that aren't recorded elsewhere, as well as mundane-seeming information that is not easy to find online—you'd be surprised that of all the Lego set databases online, hardly any include information like the recommended age range or the specific factory locations the parts are sourced from.

It helps that, as I mentioned, the space the boxes take up when folded is negligible compared to the old canisters—I would barely gain any space by throwing them out, but I would lose so much of the information they contain. Contrast that the classic canisters, which have a few more assets than the boxes (particularly the ones like the Metru canisters with lids that can be used as building elements), but also have the significant drawback of taking up more than a cubic meter of space in our room.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

Have you seen chlorine tablets? Not all come in a huge bucket, some are sold in pairs in baggies.

I never heard of chlorine tablets.  But I did hear hear the word chlorine  :P .

Do you have a pool? If so, what you probibly stick in the filter is a chlorine tablet. They are about the size of a large cookie and are a freckled white color.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 1

Do you have a pool? If so, what you probibly stick in the filter is a chlorine tablet. They are about the size of a large cookie and are a freckled white color.

I don't.  But I wish.

Sounds tasty. ;P

• Upvote 2

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Sounds tasty. ;P

I don't get it.

I voted boxes assuming Lego either stays with the current Bionicle box design or gives us another equally unique box design. I actually don't really care about canisters because I don't think we've had a good canister design since 2005. I say that because the cans became bulkier after (excluding the Piraka who had essentially modified Hordika cans) 05 and less stackable not to mention just uninspired in my opinion. The best can design? I really like the Rahkshi/Vahki canisters, the Mata, and the Bohrok cans were amazing! You could hang the bohrok from the lid as if they were in the hive! But I don't think Lego is going to move in that direction and I don't really think bringing canisters back would be good because it's more plastic to manufacture so the price would go up, the design probably wouldn't be compact, and I just don't think it would attract any more buyers than the current box design.

Foil bags? Two words: NEVER AGAIN! I couldn't stand those because they were hard to open without a knife or tool of some sort, while cans usually twisted open or the boxes could be opened with a "push in" tab. But I also just thought the bags were flimsy and increased the risk of damaging parts, but beyond that, it didn't feel like buying a toy, it felt more like an edible product. Just out of curiosity, how many toys do you know that come in bags in a similar fashion to Hero Factory (and for all the smart alecs out there, please don't say everything comes in a bag when the store bags it for you or anything along those lines  :glare: )

But overall, I'm pleased with where lego is taking the new Bionicles in terms of packaging. My only complaint would have to be that the material is a little too flimsy imo, but it's doable at the moment.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica