Bionicle 2015 Extras?

Owlexander

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was wondering to myself what extra sets I would like to see come during the June and July months (since that's when Summer break is) to hold me over until August, when the sets are releasing. Go and discuss, my friends!

Edited by Forgeta

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I think the Protectors kinda took the place of the Turaga and Matoran. Wildlife would be cool, but doesn't sound very practical. I would love to see masks in new colors though, and also more new designs! :br:

Like I said in the official 2015 discussion topic (http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/14525-official-bionicle-2015-topic/page-200), the matoran would have special masks, and have their own builds, which would be pretty cool as a polybag.

• Upvote 1

|

By wildlife polybags making from one to three creatures, do you mean one to three different sets? Or do you mean each set could be rebuilt into one to three creatures? The latter is probably vastly impractical for a polybag-sized set, which would generally only have the potential to be half the size of the Protectors at most. If you did mean one-to-three creatures, on the other hand, I could see creature-based polybags working,

The villager idea is grossly impractical, at least in the quantities specified. You're advocating for at least eighteen different polybag models, alongside the full range of more expensive Bionicle sets. The price point (again, half the size of Protectors) would limit how diverse they could be, as would the fact that they'd all be basically required to be humanoid (with two arms, two legs, and a head). For polybag villagers to work, they'd most likely have to be limited to six varieties (one for each tribe) at the very most, so that at the very least their colors would make them stand out from one another. And even then, I don't know how practical villagers would be, considering they'd basically just be seen as inferior versions of the already-fairly-cheap Protectors.

Mask packs are the most practical idea in the poll, and I imagine that's only because you failed to specify what exactly you meant by it. Randomized mask packs are a thing of the past and I can't see them coming back, for reasons that have been explained thousands of times. UN-randomized mask packs, on the other hand, already exist, in the form of the hero pack—and I could see further sets like that succeeding. But that works best as a promotion, so the number of varieties per year would have to be limited—I could see one for the summer wave and one for the winter wave, POSSIBLY with the potential for more if you distributed additional varieties to specific retailers like Toys R Us or Target for them to run their own promotions with.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'd like to see as much Bionicle as possible, ever.

As far as what's practical, though, as Lyichir said, 18 unique sets even smaller than the Protectors would be virtually impossible. I'd love to see some actual villager characters as small sets maybe next year, though.

The wildlife idea strikes me as a pretty neat idea, although I'm not sure how well it'd work with polybags. Definitely wouldn't work as a "one to three models per bag" thing like the Creator sets of old, at least not as a polybag, but tiny Rahi polybags would be neat.

I'd looove to see some mask packs. I don't think this year's Toa are going to be "collecting the masks" this time around, though, so what masks would really be in them besides the standard-colored ones already in the sets?

Randomized mask packs are a thing of the past and I can't see them coming back, for reasons that have been explained thousands of times.

Lyichir, can you explain it for the thousand-and-first time? The LEGO Minifigures sets seem to be working; why couldn't we have randomized mask packs? Discounting what I said about colors, of course.

banner.jpg

I'd like to see as much Bionicle as possible, ever.

As far as what's practical, though, as Lyichir said, 18 unique sets even smaller than the Protectors would be virtually impossible. I'd love to see some actual villager characters as small sets maybe next year, though.

The wildlife idea strikes me as a pretty neat idea, although I'm not sure how well it'd work with polybags. Definitely wouldn't work as a "one to three models per bag" thing like the Creator sets of old, at least not as a polybag, but tiny Rahi polybags would be neat.

I'd looove to see some mask packs. I don't think this year's Toa are going to be "collecting the masks" this time around, though, so what masks would really be in them besides the standard-colored ones already in the sets?

Randomized mask packs are a thing of the past and I can't see them coming back, for reasons that have been explained thousands of times.

Lyichir, can you explain it for the thousand-and-first time? The LEGO Minifigures sets seem to be working; why couldn't we have randomized mask packs? Discounting what I said about colors, of course.

Okay, lemme see if I can cover all the impracticalities in one post.

1. Mask packs do not appeal to anyone but Bionicle fans. What is a Bionicle mask, to a non-fan? Well, not much of anything. They won't comprehend what the different shapes or colors signify, and for the most part, they'd be considered interchangeable (that is to say, there would be no greater appeal for any one mask than for any other, or for multiple masks). The Collectible Minifigures have a huge advantage there. They feature characters who can fit in with many other themes—Castle, Pirates, Space, Western, etc.—or no themes at all, with quirky figures like the Unicorn Girl who don't belong to any particular theme category. This makes for a much wider audience, even including people who don't own other Lego sets! Which leads into my next point:
  2. Mask packs do not offer a complete play experience. This is huge, and one of the key reasons why mask packs were not that practical. Ultimately, mask packs only hold appeal for people who already have a Bionicle collection. A mask pack, for the most part, is just a mask—with MAYBE a head piece for them to attach to, in some cases. As such, there's little play value for people who don't have a figure for the mask to go on. That might seem to be a minor issue, but one of the goals of ~$5 Lego sets is for impulse buys—things a parent can pick up in a checkout line, that can serve as a springboard for their child to become a fan of the theme and invest more accordingly. Mask Packs are the inverse of that, being a small purchase that will only appeal to fans who are already invested heavily. As for the Collectible Minifigures, they are fully poseable, character-based models. Even someone who hasn't played with Lego in years can get a cute character for their desk or office—and like other impulse sets, that can serve as a gateway for more Lego purchases.
  3. A complete collection of masks is a pipe dream. The original mask packs featured more than 72 mask varieties. Even at the 2001 price of two masks for two dollars (probably impractical by today's standards), it would cost at least $72 to get a complete set—that's minus rarities and misprints, and based on the ridiculously unlikely scenario that you never get duplicates. The Collectible Minifigures may cost about as much for a set of 16 figures—but there are only 16 to collect, the chances of getting duplicates is significantly lowered (or eliminated entirely if you're good at feeling for their individual parts).

I'm sure I missed one or two factors, but that should give you a pretty good idea of why Lego Minifigures and mask packs are not that comparable. As much as we all miss mask packs, Lego had very legitimate reasons for abandoning them during the theme's initial run, and those reasons still apply today.

• Upvote 2

Okay, lemme see if I can cover all the impracticalities in one post.

1. Mask packs do not appeal to anyone but Bionicle fans. What is a Bionicle mask, to a non-fan? Well, not much of anything. They won't comprehend what the different shapes or colors signify, and for the most part, they'd be considered interchangeable (that is to say, there would be no greater appeal for any one mask than for any other, or for multiple masks). The Collectible Minifigures have a huge advantage there. They feature characters who can fit in with many other themes—Castle, Pirates, Space, Western, etc.—or no themes at all, with quirky figures like the Unicorn Girl who don't belong to any particular theme category. This makes for a much wider audience, even including people who don't own other Lego sets! Which leads into my next point:
  2. Mask packs do not offer a complete play experience. This is huge, and one of the key reasons why mask packs were not that practical. Ultimately, mask packs only hold appeal for people who already have a Bionicle collection. A mask pack, for the most part, is just a mask—with MAYBE a head piece for them to attach to, in some cases. As such, there's little play value for people who don't have a figure for the mask to go on. That might seem to be a minor issue, but one of the goals of ~$5 Lego sets is for impulse buys—things a parent can pick up in a checkout line, that can serve as a springboard for their child to become a fan of the theme and invest more accordingly. Mask Packs are the inverse of that, being a small purchase that will only appeal to fans who are already invested heavily. As for the Collectible Minifigures, they are fully poseable, character-based models. Even someone who hasn't played with Lego in years can get a cute character for their desk or office—and like other impulse sets, that can serve as a gateway for more Lego purchases.
  3. A complete collection of masks is a pipe dream. The original mask packs featured more than 72 mask varieties. Even at the 2001 price of two masks for two dollars (probably impractical by today's standards), it would cost at least $72 to get a complete set—that's minus rarities and misprints, and based on the ridiculously unlikely scenario that you never get duplicates. The Collectible Minifigures may cost about as much for a set of 16 figures—but there are only 16 to collect, the chances of getting duplicates is significantly lowered (or eliminated entirely if you're good at feeling for their individual parts).

I'm sure I missed one or two factors, but that should give you a pretty good idea of why Lego Minifigures and mask packs are not that comparable. As much as we all miss mask packs, Lego had very legitimate reasons for abandoning them during the theme's initial run, and those reasons still apply today.

Thank you! Those are all really good points. However, I would still like LEGO to introduce some sort of collectible mask system (well, I guess they already have, with the transparent and trans-orange Hau and now the gold masks, but I'd like to see that expanded upon greatly).

banner.jpg

By wildlife polybags making from one to three creatures, do you mean one to three different sets? Or do you mean each set could be rebuilt into one to three creatures? The latter is probably vastly impractical for a polybag-sized set, which would generally only have the potential to be half the size of the Protectors at most. If you did mean one-to-three creatures, on the other hand, I could see creature-based polybags working.

I meant 3 buildable creatures in 1 set. :)

Edited by Forgeta

|

The reason mask packs don't make so much sense to me, is that the toa didn't have to go and gather each mask in their color. The idea of having different colored masks is awesome, but it wouldn't fit into the story and doesn't really make sense for lego to do.

But who knows, maybe the books will reveal a more in depth story where they did have to go and seek different masks. We shall see.

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

The reason mask packs don't make so much sense to me, is that the toa didn't have to go and gather each mask in their color. The idea of having different colored masks is awesome, but it wouldn't fit into the story and doesn't really make sense for lego to do.

But who knows, maybe the books will reveal a more in depth story where they did have to go and seek different masks. We shall see.

(Correct me if I'm wrong) But I believe it's the sets that effect the story. So they could work mask packs into the story if they came out.

|

well I picked creature packs for visual reasons revealed in the wildlife of Okoto topic posted on here somewhere. Now if they could build anywhere from one to three creatures in a pack based on complexity then yay for us. It just seems weird that the only "wildlife" are these spiders on an island that you'd think would have some form of fowl. Not to mention a large predator and even livestock. I mean what do these villagers eat if anything? Are they simply farmers and vegetarians? I mean the ecosystem needs more than Protectors and Spiders to thrive.

Though if the Protectors created this island from nothing but their elemental power then maybe there really isn't any wildlife this time around. That is why these Skull Spiders are so scary and a threat. Because they've never seen "ANYTHING" different than themselves. So when something happened with this Mask of Ultimate Power that created these Skull Spiders it was Anarchy.

Anyway it seems the poll is rather even in what people want.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I'd love to be able to build up a village, but I think it would be too expensive. I think mask packs are possible, but even then I'm not sure if any of these will become a thing.

I'd say that if LEGO does actually implement any of these, it won't be because of a topic on BZP.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I'd love to be able to build up a village, but I think it would be too expensive. I think mask packs are possible, but even then I'm not sure if any of these will become a thing.

I'd say that if LEGO does actually implement any of these, it won't be because of a topic on BZP.

Was anyone suggesting otherwise? This topic, like the many other topics about future sets, is just meant as speculation. It's not designed as a petition for Lego to release a product, just as a place for fans to brainstorm ideas and critique their overall feasibility or likelihood.

• Upvote 3

Was anyone suggesting otherwise? This topic, like the many other topics about future sets, is just meant as speculation. It's not designed as a petition for Lego to release a product, just as a place for fans to brainstorm ideas and critique their overall feasibility or likelihood.

This.

|

This.

It was the part "I'm not sure if any of these will become a thing" that I took as saying "I'm not sure LEGO will do any of these", as if LEGO actually reviewed topics such as this. So really, I just assumed that's what Chirox was saying. Sorry 'bout that.

• Upvote 1

This.

It was the part "I'm not sure if any of these will become a thing" that I took as saying "I'm not sure LEGO will do any of these", as if LEGO actually reviewed topics such as this. So really, I just assumed that's what Chirox was saying. Sorry 'bout that.

No I'm completely aware that lego don't read this stuff, I believe that mask packs are a possibility in the sense that with the success of CMF and mixels I think lego might attempt this with bionicle (as they do commonly reuse ideas).

It's time to move on.

This.

No I'm completely aware that lego don't read this stuff, I believe that mask packs are a possibility in the sense that with the success of CMF and mixels I think lego might attempt this with bionicle (as they do commonly reuse ideas).

Well, seeing as mask packs and related memorabilia disappeared around 2005, I think LEGO has realized that it's not a sound investment.

This.

Well, seeing as mask packs and related memorabilia disappeared around 2005, I think LEGO has realized that it's not a sound investment.

Or maybe it's their secret weapon... >u>

|

This.

Proof? Do you have records of the pre and post 2005 sales that can show without a doubt that collectable packs wernt selling anymore?

Well to be fair in order for them to sell TLG had to put them up for purchase. Since it would appear they stopped doing so that could be your proof right there. It would seem illogical to discontinue a product that was doing well in the sales department.

"Yeah let's stop selling this product that is bringing in the cash-flow for this other product that maybe does not..."

VS.

"You know this products is not selling so well anymore so maybe it is time to move on something that maybe will sell."

The second would be my guess as to the general thinking of TLG.

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Or they could just end them just, well, because.

The original Star Wars battle packs with one army per box were preffered over the mixed box, and look how long it took to get them back.

Okay, I'm going to turn that around on you—where's your "proof" that the one-army-per-box battle packs were "preferred"? Keep in mind that opinions on the internet aren't a reliable indicator of what the primary target audience of Lego Star Wars "prefers"—the internet tends to favor adult fans, while Lego's own focus testing is based on the opinions of the young children who serve as Lego's primary audience. Also, the shift in the style of a product category over time and the complete abandonment of one are two very different things—and for a theme like Lego Star Wars, it might have as much to do with the licenseholder's preferences as it does with Lego's own sales strategy, which does not apply to non-licensed themes like Bionicle.

It's hard to find exact sources on why Mask Packs disappeared, since Lego never releases actual sales data on specific products, and the change in question happened so long ago. But on this page of the "Chat with Greg Farshtey" topic on the Lego Message Boards, the man himself states that "Mask packs sold well in 2001, not in 2002, so we stopped doing them after 2002." Is that authoritative enough for you?

Edited by Lyichir

Or they could just end them just, well, because.

The original Star Wars battle packs with one army per box were preffered over the mixed box, and look how long it took to get them back.

Okay, I'm going to turn that around on you—where's your "proof" that the one-army-per-box battle packs were "preferred"? Keep in mind that opinions on the internet aren't a reliable indicator of what the primary target audience of Lego Star Wars "prefers"—the internet tends to favor adult fans, while Lego's own focus testing is based on the opinions of the young children who serve as Lego's primary audience. Also, the shift in the style of a product category over time and the complete abandonment of one are two very different things—and for a theme like Lego Star Wars, it might have as much to do with the licenseholder's preferences as it does with Lego's own sales strategy, which does not apply to non-licensed themes like Bionicle.

It's hard to find exact sources on why Mask Packs disappeared, since Lego never releases actual sales data on specific products, and the change in question happened so long ago. But on this page of the "Chat with Greg Farshtey" topic on the Lego Message Boards, the man himself states that "Mask packs sold well in 2001, not in 2002, so we stopped doing them after 2002." Is that authoritative enough for you?

Yeah I guess so,

cringe