Large-Scale BIONICLE Sculptures

Over the years, LEGO has made large sculptures out of System bricks. Sometimes they were just artistic sculptures to decorate their amusement parks and stores, but other times they were meant to directly promote products. This includes BIONICLE characters. I want to know all the BIONICLE sculptures they made.

There are two categories: System bricks and generic plastic. These statues are not necessarily life size, as a Toa averages about 1.6 bio tall (7.2 feet or 2.19 meters).

These are what I have so far:

System Brick

Tahu (Generation 1) (Toa Mata)

lstahu.jpg

Onua (Generation 1) (Toa Mata)

lsonua.jpg

Vakama (Toa Hordika)

lstoahordikavakama.jpg

Keelerak

lskeelerak.jpg

Hakann

lshakann.jpg

Vezok

lsvezok.gif

Kalmah

lskalmah.jpg

Antroz

lsantroz.png

Mask of Creation (Generation 2)

lsmaskofcreation.jpg

Non-System Brick

Pakari

lspakari.jpg

Infected Mask

giantinfectedmask.jpg

Tahnok (2 versions)

lstahnok2.jpglstahnok3.jpg

Tahu (Generation 1) (Toa Nuva)

lstahunuva.jpg

Gali (Generation 1) (Toa Nuva)

lsgalinuva.jpg

Lewa (Generation 1) (Toa Nuva)

lslewanuva.jpg

Mata Nui Stone

bigmatanui.jpg

Makuta Stone

bigmakuta.jpg

Akaku, Hau, and Pakari Carvings

bigmasks.jpg

Turahk

lsturahk.jpg

Vakama (Toa Metru) (2 versions)

lstoametruvakama.jpglstoametruvakama2.jpg

Onewa and Matau (Toa Metru) (Onewa is half buried)

lstoametruonewandmatau.jpg

Whenua (Toa Metru)

lstoametruwhenua.jpg

Nokama (Toa Metru)

lstoametrunokama.jpg

Nuju (Toa Metru)

lstoametrunuju.jpg

Keelerak

lskeelerak2.jpg

Zamor Spheres

lszamorspheres.jpg

Have I missed any?

Edited by Black Six
  • Upvote 18

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

The Tahu looks nice and all, but I love that the Onua one is actually posed (in a way that is pretty cool/not awkward) and I love that rahkshi.

• Upvote 1

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

Here is a System built Antroz statue with eye lighting next to former Bionicle.com webmaster and BZPower administrator Binkmeister.    http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/8/81/Binky_antroz_toyfair_small.png

Here is a non-built statue of Tahu Nuva (2002) next to former head of the Generation 1 Bionicle team, Bob Thompson (right) and Jeffrey Tahler of Miramax (left). http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/0/00/Tahler_Tahu_Nuva_Thompson.PNG

EDIT: The Tahu Nuva above is actually a mascot, as Nidhiki of the Shadows pointed out. He's a cheeky one that Tahu. :haunu:

Edited by Rooster Nui
  • Upvote 1

If we're going to include Bionicle Blaster, there are models of Lewa and Tahu Nuva as well. I also think there is a system-built Vakama Hordika. 

These are so awesome though. Thanks for compiling them. I love seeing these, especially the system built ones. I've taken a picture next to that Tahu. :)

Also Rooster Nui - that isn't a statue of Tahu Nuva. That's a legit mascot. :P

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

Also Rooster Nui - that isn't a statue of Tahu Nuva. That's a legit mascot. :P

-NotS

I can't believe I thought that was a statue. Thanks for pointing it out. I missed the upper leg details, which show no sign of material capable of holding itself up from the ground, on its own. Oh, and he is actually holding on to his friends for a picture pose.

cf_galinuva_bb.jpg

How about this?

If we're going to include Bionicle Blaster, there are models of Lewa and Tahu Nuva as well. I also think there is a system-built Vakama Hordika.

-NotS

Those must be the LEGOLAND things I was thinking of. That Vakama Hordika sound familiar as well.

Here is a System built Antroz statue with eye lighting next to former Bionicle.com webmaster and BZPower administrator Binkmeister.    http://biosector01.com/wiki/images/8/81/Binky_antroz_toyfair_small.png

I think I've seen that one before. Thanks for pointing it out.

These are so awesome though. Thanks for compiling them. I love seeing these, especially the system built ones. I've taken a picture next to that Tahu. :)

-NotS

There used to be a picture of me at the LEGO Imagination Center in Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World with my arm around Tahu's shoulders, but it may have been lost due to hard drive failure. According to BS01, there also isn't even a Tahu statue there anymore.

EDIT: I found Tahu Nuva, Lewa Nuva, and Vakama Hordika. The Toa Metru were also posted at the BIONICLE Power Builder Ride in Germany.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

I don't think G2 will ever reach this level of advertising.

lsmaskofcreation.jpg

Am I missing something here?

Indeed, Generation 2 reached this level of advertizing before it even officially started. I haven't really been folowing Generation 2, perhaps I should start...

• Upvote 1

Well one large model does not an explicit advertising equal to Gen1 make. Usually when a new theme comes out the creators at lego craft an overly large model to represent the theme. This Gen2 Mask of creation is just Gen2's version of that... Let's wait and see if they start coming out with over the top Toa and Protector models out of system bricks and alike as akin to Gen1.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Because he is the Stone(sand/desert) Toa(Turaga) and therefore would be emerging from the sand as an epic reveal.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

No thanks... I like Tigers as much as the next guy but I'd rather not have to face down a Muaka for real. I already had to do that in the RP...

• Upvote 2

Onua.png

Actually, question about Bionicle Blaster - Did they ever rebrand that following Bionicle's initial end in 2010? Or does it still have the three Nuva statues to this day?

-NotS

As of my last visit, in 2014, Tahu, Lewa, and Gali still stood sentinel.

• Upvote 2

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Actually, question about Bionicle Blaster - Did they ever rebrand that following Bionicle's initial end in 2010? Or does it still have the three Nuva statues to this day?

-NotS

Keep in mind that attractions at Legoland are not rebranded very often. They still have attractions based on Adventurers and even Aquazone. Sometimes I wish the rides were rebranded more often, since the tendency to leave popular rides alone means that newer themes are often underrepresented.

It'd certainly be neat if they took the chance to rebrand the ride to match the new Bionicle, though! Just changing out the sculptures for ones of the new Toa would go a long way.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Anybody noticed the kid with a Kaukau mask yet?

& The Pakari next to him.

Man, what happened to those?

What about the System built Fire Bohrok in the background of the same image?... I is not listed here yet....

Onua.png

What about the System built Fire Bohrok in the background of the same image?... I is not listed here yet....

That's a separate picture from the other Bohrok. That's why I said "2 versions." It's not system built, it's way too smoothly detailed.

Oh wow, I thought that was a single large picture... My bad...

Onua.png

Keep in mind that attractions at Legoland are not rebranded very often. They still have attractions based on Adventurers and even Aquazone. Sometimes I wish the rides were rebranded more often, since the tendency to leave popular rides alone means that newer themes are often underrepresented.

Though given that most areas of the park (and System themes in general) fall under a popular archetype, its not too much of a slight. I doubt that Merlin want to remodel each zone every two or three years. The only area that strikes me as truly outdated (though of course, I'd hate to see it change,) is the Technic area, which includes the aforementioned Blaster.

The Adventurers attractions are a funny example, actually. They were introduced in 2008, a full five years after Orient Adventures. I suppose that they were intended to tie into the Indiana Jones theme.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

I saw him, but I didn't see the Pakari. It sure would be cool to have life-size masks.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Did Bionicle have support Halloween costumes of sorts back in the day? Those masks do look costume-y to me in that they are the cheep plastic masks often paired with a full body Halloween costume. I can admit as much as the next guy that I would love my own real Kanohi mask...

Onua.png

Did Bionicle have support Halloween costumes of sorts back in the day? Those masks do look costume-y to me in that they are the cheep plastic masks often paired with a full body Halloween costume. I can admit as much as the next guy that I would love my own real Kanohi mask...

There were actually a LOT of Halloween costumes. Bricklink lists Toa Hordika Whenua,Toa Hordika Vakama, Toa Inika Nuparu, Keelerak, and Hakann. There was also a Makuta (2003 Teridax) costume. There's also tons of play armor, masks, and weaponry sold by itself. There was even a Toa Hordika Vakama voice changer mask!

See here.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, that's like a quarter of the size of the G1 stuff.

It's actually more than half the size of the Toa Mata statues above, by the looks of it—I'd estimate Tahu as being about four feet tall and Onua as three feet or less. I've seen the Mask of Creation and I'd estimate it as over two feet tall, and extremely solid. Besides, I literally don't see how the size has any bearing on anything.

Considering you're comparing ten years worth of models with four months worth, I think it's a little premature to assume G2 won't offer anything comparable to the classic Bionicle (though of course, that's the case with almost every "G2 doesn't have this" complaint). Heck, of the pictures represented in the initial post, only two of them date to 2001!

Edited by Lyichir

It's actually more than half the size of the Toa Mata statues above, by the looks of it—I'd estimate Tahu as being about four feet tall and Onua as three feet or less. I've seen the Mask of Creation and I'd estimate it as over two feet tall, and extremely solid. Besides, I literally don't see how the size has any bearing on anything.

Considering you're comparing ten years worth of models with four months worth, I think it's a little premature to assume G2 won't offer anything comparable to the classic Bionicle (though of course, that's the case with almost every "G2 doesn't have this" complaint). Heck, of the pictures represented in the initial post, only two of them date to 2001!

But 2001 was before Bionicle was big. 2015, Bionicle is already an established franchise, plus it has HF as a frontrunner. It shouldn't need years of momentum to start up again if they've only got three scheduled.

• Upvote 1

But 2001 was before Bionicle was big. 2015, Bionicle is already an established franchise, plus it has HF as a frontrunner. It shouldn't need years of momentum to start up again if they've only got three scheduled.

Yes and no.  The children who will be buying bionicle sets were not around for g1.  Even though there is hero factory, bionicle is still something new and different to a lot of people.  Lego needs to market it to the children of today.  As much as we're all nostalgic about g1, we have to remember that for probably most of the people buying g2, it's a new thing to them.  The fact that they've only signed on for three years means that they don't necessarily want to spend tons of money on it, and want to see if it has potential to sell like it used to before they pump tons of money into it. 

• Upvote 2

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

Worth noting that another big difference from the classic theme is that the new Bionicle is not and probably never will be Lego's most successful theme. In 2002 and 2003, Bionicle statues made a lot of sense, because Bionicle was Lego's #1 theme and as such had the greatest potential to attract Lego fans. But that was primarily because most of Lego's other themes were severely unpopular and actually losing money. These days, Bionicle is being launched into a much more crowded market—mega-successes like Ninjago, City, and Friends have made "traditional Lego" cool again, and as such Bionicle occupies a much smaller niche.

But again, it's just too early to be saying G2 is getting the short end of the stick. It's not even halfway through the theme's first year, so it's not at all implausible that we'll see more promotional sculptures as the year goes on.

• 2 weeks later...

-NotS

Nice. :) That's good to hear.

I didn't notice that! Never knew those existed. Those are some awesome masks, wish I had a few. xD

Also thanks for updating the top post, Cheesy! Didn't know there were so many Toa Metru sculptures!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I found some more stuff, including a giant Infected Mask from 2002. However, they're from a magazine's website, and have a watermark. I hope I don't get in trouble for plagiarism.

• Upvote 1

Ooh, those 2003 displays based on the Mata Nui and Makuta stones are fantastic! Based on the lighting, I assume those were for some sort of event like a Toy Fair or Comic Con.

Gosh, that makes me wonder if Bionicle will be featured at New York Comic Con again this year... or maybe even San Diego Comic Con this summer!

Ooh, those 2003 displays based on the Mata Nui and Makuta stones are fantastic! Based on the lighting, I assume those were for some sort of event like a Toy Fair or Comic Con.

Gosh, that makes me wonder if Bionicle will be featured at New York Comic Con again this year... or maybe even San Diego Comic Con this summer!

I was wondering what you were referring to until I saw that the top post was updated yet again. xD I have never seen those before and they are awesome! Love the more traditional sculpture-like promotional statues... that infected mask and the totem with the three Kanohi are brilliant as well!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg