What you don't like in G2 ?

Zidonaro

I miss a lot of things, and I'm with Lyichir that I'd love something like the MNOG- but TLG's proven that was a fluke and though the new team talked a devotion to it, it's clear that a game like that will never exist again. I wish it would.

Why must that be? What's stopping Lego from having something like that made again?

I think that this year it's become more clear than ever how vital MNOLG was to making people not just like but love Bionicle by immersing them in its world in a way that a bunch of 90 second clips can't. Without that game, 2001 wouldn't have been more than this year has been so far - some good sets with a bit of artwork and a few paragraphs of slightly interesting story.

• Upvote 3

I wouldn't call myself whiny. I already explained myself in a previous post.  Again, I will wait to make a proper call when the books are released and until then I am mostly refraining myself from G2's story. Sets are cool though. :P

I don't think the guys who don't like G2 deserve to be called "Whiny". I mean, the first generation of Bionicle left us a big legacy of characters and other things. For some people, this second generation simply didn't live up to the legacy left by the first generation. It doesn't mean it's bad, tho.

It just started, there is really nothing to compare at the moment. It's like comparing the first part of an essay outline to a finished novel.

Comparing to 2001 which was G1 start, there is a lot to compare actually, like the advertisement, characters, promotions, games, videos, etc. I think this is what people miss the most.

I wouldn't call myself whiny. I already explained myself in a previous post.  Again, I will wait to make a proper call when the books are released and until then I am mostly refraining myself from G2's story. Sets are cool though. :P

I don't think the guys who don't like G2 deserve to be called "Whiny". I mean, the first generation of Bionicle left us a big legacy of characters and other things. For some people, this second generation simply didn't live up to the legacy left by the first generation. It doesn't mean it's bad, tho.

It just started, there is really nothing to compare at the moment. It's like comparing the first part of an essay outline to a finished novel.

Comparing to 2001 which was G1 start, there is a lot to compare actually, like the advertisement, characters, promotions, games, videos, etc. I think this is what people miss the most.

Very true, however, most people keep on comparing it to the original continuity as a whole. If more people made comparisons along the lines of the example you provided, then that would be alright.

I miss a lot of things, and I'm with Lyichir that I'd love something like the MNOG- but TLG's proven that was a fluke and though the new team talked a devotion to it, it's clear that a game like that will never exist again. I wish it would.

Why must that be? What's stopping Lego from having something like that made again?

I think that this year it's become more clear than ever how vital MNOLG was to making people not just like but love Bionicle by immersing them in its world in a way that a bunch of 90 second clips can't. Without that game, 2001 wouldn't have been more than this year has been so far - some good sets with a bit of artwork and a few paragraphs of slightly interesting story.

Because it wasn't sold. Lego is now not going to put that much effort into something for free, they want to directly sell it to individuals now.

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I'll give you one reason: In 2001, the Bionicle website existed in three languages: English, French, and German. Today, it exists in more than 17 languages In other words, either the web team or the game development team would have to put in almost eight times as much work to translate the game into all of those languages. Considering that mindless action games are more accessible, are a more popular genre, and would require significantly less translation work than a text-heavy adventure game like the Mata Nui Online Game, it's easy to see why a game like MNOG would be considered impractical in this day and age.

In addition to that, the Mata Nui Online Game was one of the things that kickstarted the overwhelming complexity of the Bionicle story and lexicon. For people like myself and a fair number of others here on BZPower who were willing to put in the effort, that was a great thing—I've never forgotten terms like gnomon (the center "spike" of a sundial) that the game introduced to me. But don't let a dedicated community like this make you think we were the majority. The Mata Nui Online Game was so complex and confusing for the theme's target audience that Lego had to repeatedly add more and more guides, hints, and FAQs to the site itself just to try and help all the confused kids. And even then, many didn't feel it worth the effort—a huge swath of fans missed out on a defining part of the story, just because it was inaccessible to them based on their skill level.

For better or for worse, accessibility is one of the defining traits of the new story. There may not be much story-wise to the animations, but they're available for free, worldwide, take no skill or investment to follow, and cover all the main story beats in a way even the youngest children (or kids with reading difficulties) can understand. That gives them a huge advantage over the classic Bionicle story, which was spread over a wide variety of media and thus shut a huge number of potential fans out—those with a less advanced reading level couldn't enjoy the books or serials, those without computers (far more then than there are now) couldn't follow the serials or online games, and those who couldn't afford or lacked access to the books and movies missed out on the vast majority of the story. The old Bionicle, in many ways, catered to mega-fans—but in doing so it excluded the casual fans who are a necessary part of a healthy fanbase.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

While I don't know too much about G1 Bionicle, wasn't TLG under a lot of financial stress at the time and they really needed one good series to pick up and pull them from going bankrupt or something? Wouldn't that be good reasoning to try and shill the heck out of one that they were confident would get them tons of profit? Was it not Bionicle, perhaps because of the insane amount of marketing that went into it, that was that series?

These are honest questions, I remember reading that somewhere but maybe I'm wrong, but I think it may be worth considering.

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

Very true, however, most people keep on comparing it to the original continuity as a whole. If more people made comparisons along the lines of the example you provided, then that would be alright.

Because it wasn't sold. Lego is going to put that much effort into something now for free, they want to directly sell it to individuals now.

Wanna squeeze every penny from the fans now, eh?

Don't hate me for this.

I wish it was connected to Gen 1.  

I myself am undecided.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Because it wasn't sold. Lego is going to put that much effort into something now for free, they want to directly sell it to individuals now.

Lego was in major financial trouble when Bionicle began, and yet MNOLG was still free despite that technically making a loss for them due to paying Templar for it. Considering Lego are now the biggest toy company around with strong growth and profit, making something available for free now should be far easier than it was back when they actually did that.

I'll give you one reason: In 2001, the Bionicle website existed in three languages: English, French, and German. Today, it exists in more than 17 languages In other words, either the web team or the game development team would have to put in almost eight times as much work to translate the game into all of those languages.

Well, they've made the new animations available in multiple languages, so language can't be that big of an obstacle.

In addition to that, the Mata Nui Online Game was one of the things that kickstarted the overwhelming complexity of the Bionicle story and lexicon. For people like myself and a fair number of others here on BZPower who were willing to put in the effort, that was a great thing—I've never forgotten terms like gnomon (the center "spike" of a sundial) that the game introduced to me. But don't let a dedicated community like this make you think we were the majority.

I must disagree that MNOLG was overwhelmingly complex. Most Matoran and even some Rahi are left unnamed, and, at that point, there was very little story to learn (the line having just started) and all the information was available on the official site (whereas in later years it only had what was relevant to the present, leaving most story content to fan-run sites). Perhaps the only thing that is perhaps unnecessarily complex is the main character's identity, which is revealed suddenly in the last chapter with references that are a bit confusing if the player isn't familiar with the events of Quest for the Toa.

he Mata Nui Online Game was so complex and confusing for the theme's target audience that Lego had to repeatedly add more and more guides, hints, and FAQs to the site itself just to try and help all the confused kids. And even then, many didn't feel it worth the effort—a huge swath of fans missed out on a defining part of the story, just because it was inaccessible to them based on their skill level.

Do you actually know that many kids didn't take to MNOLG or are you just theorising?

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 1

Since when is MNOG complex? It's immersive, yes, but far from complex.

If you want a complex game from around the same time, play the first Deus Ex game. There, done and done.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I'll give you one reason: In 2001, the Bionicle website existed in three languages: English, French, and German. Today, it exists in more than 17 languages In other words, either the web team or the game development team would have to put in almost eight times as much work to translate the game into all of those languages. Considering that mindless action games are more accessible, are a more popular genre, and would require significantly less translation work than a text-heavy adventure game like the Mata Nui Online Game, it's easy to see why a game like MNOG would be considered impractical in this day and age.

In addition to that, the Mata Nui Online Game was one of the things that kickstarted the overwhelming complexity of the Bionicle story and lexicon. For people like myself and a fair number of others here on BZPower who were willing to put in the effort, that was a great thing—I've never forgotten terms like gnomon (the center "spike" of a sundial) that the game introduced to me. But don't let a dedicated community like this make you think we were the majority. The Mata Nui Online Game was so complex and confusing for the theme's target audience that Lego had to repeatedly add more and more guides, hints, and FAQs to the site itself just to try and help all the confused kids. And even then, many didn't feel it worth the effort—a huge swath of fans missed out on a defining part of the story, just because it was inaccessible to them based on their skill level.

:(

What about a game like Hero Factory: Breakout? At least that game made me feel like I was walking around in a world and had variety of obstacles, versus the repetitiveness/illogical teleports of Mask of Creation. Maybe throw in like two or three Matoran NPCs with like two lines apiece, like the way had Zib talk in Breakout? Yes?

I get why they didn't do it - they were trying to do a mobile game. But there are ways to do a Breakout style game on mobile - heck, Breakout did it itself with its own mobile version. They could totally have Gali face a different challenge in the end than Tahu, etc. They don't have to repeat everything. 

I can totally imagine a Tahu lava-surfing minigame (why have they not done that? why?). 

(Although Kohran is right that they translated the episodes into multiple languages - an even steeper translation challenge, because not only do they have to translate the scripts, they have to find voice actors for all of the languages! How much easier (and cheaper) would it be to just translate the text in a MNOG-style game!) 

This brings me to another thing that really chaps my hide - the web design for the new website is missing basic things like <p> tags and <br> tags and has broken links; the episode releases are inconsistent across languages, the Protectors don't have proper bios...it's clear they focused too much on mobile without realizing that most people still access the internet on computers.  Arggh. 

• Upvote 3

Wanna squeeze every penny from the fans now, eh?

Well, you can't forget that LEGO is a business. They exist to make money. Are they socially responsible? Yes. Do they create quality products and communicate with their fanbase? Yes. However, they still are out to make money, and they know better than to invest a lot of money into a project that will yield no profit like a free, online game. Also keep in mind that LEGO was close to bankruptcy back in the late 90s, so they know what that was like, and want to keep their business afloat.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

So, in the 2000, when lego was in the red, they made a FREE game.

In 2015, when lego is the biggest toy maker in the world, they won't make a free game?

Yup, don't see the logic in that.

The point I was making is that LEGO used to be almost bankrupt, and they were trying all kinds of new things to try to stay afloat. Now that they've raised themselves up to the top, they've become more experienced with their tactics, and know better than to do something that will cost them money in the long run.

Also, mind you, they have made a free game, Mask of Creation. While it isn't the same type of game as MNOG, it provides a cool little action game for the target audience to enjoy. I know that my 6 y/o cousin who I introduced to Bionicle (bought him his first sets, PoI and PoE), loves the game. When we talk on Skype, he'll often tell me about how cool the game is.

• Upvote 1

But does it immerse him in the universe like MNOG? Are their quests he can do? Puzzles that make you use your brain and be observant?

Dude. He's six. He'd be overwhelmed and confused by all that kind of stuff. A mindless game like Mask of Creation is perfect for him.

• Upvote 2

You'd be surprised of what kids like these days. Simple and fun is the only things that matter, which is a good thing. 

Edited by Anonymous User
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

But does it immerse him in the universe like MNOG? Are their quests he can do? Puzzles that make you use your brain and be observant?

Do kids really want that kind of stuff? Don't they get enough of that in school?

Depends on the kid.  At that age I was totally loved that stuff, and I loved MNOG. Then again, I always liked to stay inside, read, draw, play board games (later replaced with video games) and start to begin to talk about things teacher's deemed inappropriate, like religion (didn't really know carpet back then, but at least I started thinking. :P ). Some kids are just different then the standard bunch, which is fine in my book. The more the merrier!

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Dude. He's six. He'd be overwhelmed and confused by all that kind of stuff. A mindless game like Mask of Creation is perfect for him.
Do not call me "dude".

When I was six is was playing ps2, reading zoology books (like, REAL zoology books) building k'nect sets as big as I was, (my favorite was a helicopter :D) driving RC hummers across the sands of Daytona beach, building megabloks tanks, and megabloks model planes.

I'd find a game like mask of creation to be boring.

Plus I know a 3 year old who knows how to find and play movies on a PS3.

Edited by Decepticonwarrior
  • Upvote 1

Not every kid is like you. LEGO has the financial capability to conduct extensive research into their demographic, and their results have shown that the complex story would not be the right business move for G2.

Yes, like others I enjoyed MNOG and all those other games and extra story goodies. However we are not the majority, and as a business LEGO will cater to the majority. 

It's just business. 

• Upvote 1

AΨ 94

So, in the 2000, when lego was in the red, they made a FREE game.

In 2015, when lego is the biggest toy maker in the world, they won't make a free game?

Yup, don't see the logic in that.

The point I was making is that LEGO used to be almost bankrupt, and they were trying all kinds of new things to try to stay afloat. Now that they've raised themselves up to the top, they've become more experienced with their tactics, and know better than to do something that will cost them money in the long run.

Are you saying, in effect, that MNOLG being free was a mistake for Lego?

Whilst I can't prove it, I'm willing to bet it did more to introduce people to Bionicle than anything else until the first movie.

The Mata Nui Online Game being free was not a mistake. In fact, the fact that it was free was one of the best things it had going for it, as far as marketing the theme was concerned.

The problem with the game wasn't that it didn't bring in money through direct sales, but that it was not as effective as a marketing device as it could have been. And the reason for that was that, for young fans who might not have the best reading or problem-solving skills, it was hard. Lego repeatedly had to add FAQs and guides to the website in order to provide some direction to young fans who weren't used to a game that didn't tell them explicitly what to do or how to advance. And those were not a cure-all.

A promotional game is only as effective as its accessibility. A big part of that is making it free, so that anyone can play. But the great worldbuilding and storytelling such a game has to offer is meaningless for people who get too frustrated at an inability to advance. Even I had this trouble to an extent—during Bionicle's first year, a lack of understanding of the conventions of adventure games and irrational fears provoked by the moody atmosphere of locations like the Charred Forest kept me from advancing past Ga-Koro. That means that I didn't experience more than half of the game, and by the time I did complete the game, several years later, it had lost its promotional value—the sets featured in the game were no longer on store shelves.

That's why animations like the ones we're receiving this year or action games like the Mask of Creation game are often a better medium for promoting a toyline. It's like the contrast between a scavenger hunt and a rollercoaster—while the former lasts an indeterminate amount of time based on your luck and skill, the latter requires no innate skill. Obviously, the scavenger hunt has the potential to be a much more engaging experience, but only for the people who follow it to its end. But once you're on a rollercoaster, there's no chance of "missing out"—it automatically guides you to the finish within a short period of time.

• Upvote 6

The Mata Nui Online Game being free was not a mistake. In fact, the fact that it was free was one of the best things it had going for it, as far as marketing the theme was concerned.

The problem with the game wasn't that it didn't bring in money through direct sales, but that it was not as effective as a marketing device as it could have been. And the reason for that was that, for young fans who might not have the best reading or problem-solving skills, it was hard. Lego repeatedly had to add FAQs and guides to the website in order to provide some direction to young fans who weren't used to a game that didn't tell them explicitly what to do or how to advance. And those were not a cure-all.

A promotional game is only as effective as its accessibility. A big part of that is making it free, so that anyone can play. But the great worldbuilding and storytelling such a game has to offer is meaningless for people who get too frustrated at an inability to advance. Even I had this trouble to an extent—during Bionicle's first year, a lack of understanding of the conventions of adventure games and irrational fears provoked by the moody atmosphere of locations like the Charred Forest kept me from advancing past Ga-Koro. That means that I didn't experience more than half of the game, and by the time I did complete the game, several years later, it had lost its promotional value—the sets featured in the game were no longer on store shelves.

That's why animations like the ones we're receiving this year or action games like the Mask of Creation game are often a better medium for promoting a toyline. It's like the contrast between a scavenger hunt and a rollercoaster—while the former lasts an indeterminate amount of time based on your luck and skill, the latter requires no innate skill. Obviously, the scavenger hunt has the potential to be a much more engaging experience, but only for the people who follow it to its end. But once you're on a rollercoaster, there's no chance of "missing out"—it automatically guides you to the finish within a short period of time.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Personal nitpicks include:

• Lack of wildlife. This is pretty important to me, and it would flesh out Okoto neatly. There's a nice topic on BBC about the subject.

• Website. From Onya to incorrect picture on a section, you name it. Something serious should be done. The map's cool though.

• Lewa's neck, Pohatu's piece count, PoS's lack of back-armour and a few other set problems.

That's all for now.

• Upvote 2

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

What is bad about GEN 2? EVERYTHING!!! The pieces, story, art, etc.

Not sure if this is your real opinion or you're trying to stir up trouble. 

So you want me to explain what is bad about everything in gen 2?

Making a new account soon. I'll still use this one sometimes tho.

I think so. Please, make your point. :)

Story: Who likes it? DO YOU REMEMBER THE OLD ONE?! If you wanted bionicle back, then why liking the one that is just the same but the best parts of the story gone? Do you know the old one? it was thousands times better!

Parts: The old sets had fantastic parts and now you get very simple parts. THE SETS WERE GOOD BECAUSE OF TECHNIC PARTS!!! And more, there was thousands more possibilities for MOCs! Not to mention how good they looked like!

• Upvote 2

Making a new account soon. I'll still use this one sometimes tho.

Story: Who likes it? DO YOU REMEMBER THE OLD ONE?! If you wanted bionicle back, then why liking the one that is just the same but the best parts of the story gone? Do you know the old one? it was thousands times better!

Parts: The old sets had fantastic parts and now you get very simple parts. THE SETS WERE GOOD BECAUSE OF TECHNIC PARTS!!! And more, there was thousands more possibilities for MOCs! Not to mention how good they looked like!

But the G2 sets still use plenty of Technic parts. Not only is CCBS a Technic-based system just like the one the BIONICLE sets used, but additionally, even if you subtract the dedicated CCBS parts like shells and beams, some of the G2 Toa like Gali and Onua actually have even more basic Technic parts than their G1 counterparts.

Plus, if you look at Technic sets today, most of them strive for the same smooth, streamlined aesthetic and simplicity of part design as CCBS. The over-the-top, highly specialized greebling of G1 BIONICLE parts was not truly a part of their Technic DNA, and frankly a lot of Technic fans have always hated parts with that kind of aesthetic clutter.

One of the main goals of CCBS was to update constraction parts to have the same simplicity and modularity of sizes that had always been the foundation of every other LEGO building system. Just as LEGO System has modular sizes of basic bricks and plates as a foundation, and LEGO Technic has modular sizes of basic beams and axles as a foundation, CCBS has modular sizes of basic shells and beams as its foundation.

After all, the versatility of LEGO parts COMES from their simplicity, and the most versatile LEGO parts have always been and will always be the most basic ones. That's why so many basic parts from BIONICLE G1 like gears, Toa Hordika necks, and Bohrok eyes are still in use today while so many more specialized parts like Toa Mata torsos, Toa Metru shoulder armor, and Piraka torsos didn't even make it four years before being discontinued.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

Story: Many of G2's fans remember the old story. In fact, a great number of us remember the very start of the story, back before it became so edgy and convoluted. G2 Bionicle's story is very true to that, and while it hasn't gotten as much chance to develop as the classic theme, what we've seen so far suggests that the writers are taking specific steps to avoid the factors that led to the classic theme's cancellation.

Parts: The classic Bionicle parts did not follow any sort of system, with new parts frequently being introduced despite not offering significant advantages over the old ones. After Bionicle's end, Hero Factory introduced the CCBS (Character and Creature Building System), which helped to fix those issues by creating a core set of basic elements in a wide range of modular sizes. The new sets have more diverse and complex builds than any past Toa, thanks in part to groundbreaking levels of integration between the CCBS and traditional Technic elements.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Story: Many of G2's fans remember the old story. In fact, a great number of us remember the very start of the story, back before it became so edgy and convoluted. G2 Bionicle's story is very true to that, and while it hasn't gotten as much chance to develop as the classic theme, what we've seen so far suggests that the writers are taking specific steps to avoid the factors that led to the classic theme's cancellation.

Parts: The classic Bionicle parts did not follow any sort of system, with new parts frequently being introduced despite not offering significant advantages over the old ones. After Bionicle's end, Hero Factory introduced the CCBS (Character and Creature Building System), which helped to fix those issues by creating a core set of basic elements in a wide range of modular sizes. The new sets have more diverse and complex builds than any past Toa, thanks in part to groundbreaking levels of integration between the CCBS and traditional Technic elements.

Not to lead away from the conversation, but what does "Ninja'd" mean?

Not to lead away from the conversation, but what does "Ninja'd" mean?

I think it means that someone got your point across or said what you were going to say just before you got to post it.

It's funny because in this case, they're brothers with the same point. :P