What you don't like in G2 ?

Zidonaro

Pridaks "blood" was just natural markings, people only assumed it to be blood because of its color, location (around his mouth and on his weapons) and because of his shark motif.

Then tell me why his weapons would have any reason to possess the exact same "natural patterns" as his body. No, it was pretty blatantly intended to be blood; it's just that a hasty retcon was done when the appropriate people came to their senses and realized that the blood-smeared shark wouldn't be the most kid-friendly toy out there.

~B~

So then why did none of the other Barraki have it? You can't convince me they've never gotten blood on themselves before. Also, if it was blood, why hadn't it washed off? Something like that wouldn't stay on him forever.

sigh

it was a set design feature, blood streaks were included as part of his shark motif, like takadox's glow in the dark chitin, carapar's transparent carapace, and mantax's blended ray-fin-wings.

• Upvote 1

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Pridaks "blood" was just natural markings, people only assumed it to be blood because of its color, location (around his mouth and on his weapons) and because of his shark motif.

Then tell me why his weapons would have any reason to possess the exact same "natural patterns" as his body. No, it was pretty blatantly intended to be blood; it's just that a hasty retcon was done when the appropriate people came to their senses and realized that the blood-smeared shark wouldn't be the most kid-friendly toy out there.

~B~

even though it was, imo at least, a pretty good look for him, color balance wise and whatnot. :u

I don't dispute that. In fact I agree! It's just a rather inappropriate thing given the target audience.

~B~

So then why did none of the other Barraki have it? You can't convince me they've never gotten blood on themselves before. Also, if it was blood, why hadn't it washed off? Something like that wouldn't stay on him forever.

Dina covered why it makes sense for Pridak alone to have the blood association here. As for it washing off, that is an in-universe storyline aspect. The set is the set regardless of the story, and the set looks very clearly bloodstained. That making rational sense for someone dwelling underwater is a different thing altogether. I'm not sure why that is relevant.

~B~

Yeah, let's slice Bionicle's run time in half and up and reveal the Toa Mata's origins (another twist).

The Adaptive Armor didn't have to be intrinsically tied to revealing the Toa Mata's origins. They could have given it to them at any time if it suited the needs of the sets.

Wasn't really a twist, just plot development.

The definition of a twist is "an unexpected development of events."

That was an unexpected development of events. In fact, it was a complete subversion of expectations. It was, objectively and by definition, a twist.

And yet it featured more of the latter and not the former.

No, it didn't. Its characters were shallow, and its morality was black and white no matter how hard they tried to grey it. Those attempts at greying even fell far more into the former. It was not this deep, thoughtful story you think it is. It was a story for a children's toyline; it's lucky it wasn't as incohesive as the Transformers G1 cartoon, but that doesn't mean it's a masterpiece of fiction. It was shallow with simple themes, just with a lot of unnecessary character baggage.

And yet it had entire games devoted to exploring the worlds, plot twists, character development, etc.

Correction: it had two games devoted to that, the first of which was proven to be a fluke. I did a breakdown of the games made for Bionicle G1, and actually a majority of them were mindless action games. It really didn't have this focus on true depth you want it to have.

Then why did none of the others have it? Sharks aren't the only vicious things in the sea.

It wasn't blood. And even if it was, how would it've stayed their for all those years?

because... they toy makers wanted people to know he was a vicious sharkman that is constantly coated in fresh blood? that's always been my best guess. :0

If they were implying how vicious he was, why not do the same for the other Barraki?

Not only would it have been useless on Kalmah, the other Barraki's animals don't have the same connection with blood that sharks do. You don't think of blood often in relation to electric eel, for example. Sharks, however, are notorious biters of flesh, and as a bonus have spectacular blood-sniffing skills. Therefore, if you're going to slap blood on a Barraki, it's gonna be the shark.

I spelled it out pretty clearly here.

Whether or not it was eventually called markings is irrelevant; it was clearly intended to be blood. Its placement, color, and general look do not point to any other plausible conclusion.

Yeah, let's slice Bionicle's run time in half and up and reveal the Toa Mata's origins (another twist).

The Adaptive Armor didn't have to be intrinsically tied to revealing the Toa Mata's origins. They could have given it to them at any time if it suited the needs of the sets.

Wasn't really a twist, just plot development.

The definition of a twist is "an unexpected development of events."

That was an unexpected development of events. In fact, it was a complete subversion of expectations. It was, objectively and by definition, a twist.

And yet it featured more of the latter and not the former.

No, it didn't. Its characters were shallow, and its morality was black and white no matter how hard they tried to grey it. Those attempts at greying even fell far more into the former. It was not this deep, thoughtful story you think it is. It was a story for a children's toyline; it's lucky it wasn't as incohesive as the Transformers G1 cartoon, but that doesn't mean it's a masterpiece of fiction. It was shallow with simple themes, just with a lot of unnecessary character baggage.

And yet it had entire games devoted to exploring the worlds, plot twists, character development, etc.

Correction: it had two games devoted to that, the first of which was proven to be a fluke. I did a breakdown of the games made for Bionicle G1, and actually a majority of them were mindless action games. It really didn't have this focus on true depth you want it to have.

Then why did none of the others have it? Sharks aren't the only vicious things in the sea.

It wasn't blood. And even if it was, how would it've stayed their for all those years?

because... they toy makers wanted people to know he was a vicious sharkman that is constantly coated in fresh blood? that's always been my best guess. :0

If they were implying how vicious he was, why not do the same for the other Barraki?

Not only would it have been useless on Kalmah, the other Barraki's animals don't have the same connection with blood that sharks do. You don't think of blood often in relation to electric eel, for example. Sharks, however, are notorious biters of flesh, and as a bonus have spectacular blood-sniffing skills. Therefore, if you're going to slap blood on a Barraki, it's gonna be the shark.

I spelled it out pretty clearly here.

Whether or not it was eventually called markings is irrelevant; it was clearly intended to be blood. Its placement, color, and general look do not point to any other plausible conclusion.

1: It had to be given to them via someone related in anyway to Arthaka, which would've exponentionaly developed the plot.

2: Even if it was a twist, Bionicle made up for its "bad" twists with better ones (Turaga once being Toa, the entire Bionicle universe from 2004 - 2008 being inside a giant robot, etc).

3: Perhaps the Matoran were shallow, but not the Toa and the more major characters. And if we had the Toa Mata every wave, it would've been boring.

4: 3 of them: MNOG, MNOG II, and VNOG. The first two revealed more about the Matoran universe, and the third was more action orientated.

5: So the markings on his back were blood and they got their how?

It had to be given to them via someone related in anyway to Arthaka, which would've exponentionaly developed the plot.

Sets decide story, not the other way around. Adaptive Armor was developed entirely to explain the Phantoka/Mistika looking nothing like their previous forms. They could give it any backstory they like if it was necessary.

Perhaps the Matoran were shallow, but not the Toa and the more major characters.

Right, the extremely developed Toa. Tahu "Angry" Mata, Gali "Peaceful" Mata, Kopaka "Cold" Mata. Such depth.

3 of them: MNOG, MNOG II, and VNOG. The first two revealed more about the Matoran universe, and the third was more action orientated.

VNOG was non-canon, and also a royal pain, the latter of which is far more important to me, but the former of which is important to it being counted in this list; as non-canon, many aspects of the Voya Nui portrayed may be completely fictitious.

And this also has nothing to do with depth of story.

So the markings on his back were blood and they got their how?

You're falling back on non-issues to defend an indefensible cause. They weren't going to spend the money to make an all-white blade for his back when they were already including the same exact piece with an only slightly different color blend. The markings are supposed to look like blood, end of story. This really shouldn't need this much explanation.

• Upvote 2

It had to be given to them via someone related in anyway to Arthaka, which would've exponentionaly developed the plot.

Sets decide story, not the other way around. Adaptive Armor was developed entirely to explain the Phantoka/Mistika looking nothing like their previous forms. They could give it any backstory they like if it was necessary.

Perhaps the Matoran were shallow, but not the Toa and the more major characters.

Right, the extremely developed Toa. Tahu "Angry" Mata, Gali "Peaceful" Mata, Kopaka "Cold" Mata. Such depth.

3 of them: MNOG, MNOG II, and VNOG. The first two revealed more about the Matoran universe, and the third was more action orientated.

VNOG was non-canon, and also a royal pain, the latter of which is far more important to me, but the former of which is important to it being counted in this list; as non-canon, many aspects of the Voya Nui portrayed may be completely fictitious.

And this also has nothing to do with depth of story.

So the markings on his back were blood and they got their how?

You're falling back on non-issues to defend an indefensible cause. They weren't going to spend the money to make an all-white blade for his back when they were already including the same exact piece with an only slightly different color blend. The markings are supposed to look like blood, end of story. This really shouldn't need this much explanation.

1: But they didn't, end of story.

2: Tahu had a short temper and clashed with Kopaka, but eventually the two learned to get over their dislike and respect one another. Gali was calm at times, and wished her brothers were more united, but could be ruthless when the time called for it (Just ask the island of Karzahni).

3: Fine, but MNOG and MNOG II were FAR from mindless action games. And they did develop the plot a little, delving into the world of Bionicle from a Matoran's perspective.

4: The markings look like blood but it isn't, end of story.

But they didn't, end of story.

This wasn't an argument about whether they did or did not; this was an argument of whether they could have invoked it earlier to allow the Mata more screen time while still producing new sets. I think I proved that quite soundly.

Tahu had a short temper and clashed with Kopaka, but eventually the two learned to get over their dislike and respect one another.

Okay, but this is still a clash between two singular personality traits: angry and cold. (Cold here meaning "distant; aloof".)

Fine, but MNOG and MNOG II were FAR from mindless action games. And they did develop the plot a little, delving into the world of Bionicle from a Matoran's perspective.

I agree; they were the exceptions I listed in the first place.

The markings look like blood but it isn't, end of story.

This argument wasn't about if it was blood in canon; that's an open-and-shut argument. Of course in canon they were called markings. I could look that up on BS01 and get that answer. The argument was about set designer intent, and the intent was blood. The blood was then called markings in canon because you can't actually get away with selling a toy covered in blood to seven-year-olds.

• Upvote 1

Jurassic parks dinosaurs had visible guts, just saying.

...I'm not sure where you're going with this. Are you saying toys based on a monster movie showed guts, or that a movie rated PG-13 (i.e. not aimed at children) showed guts? Neither of those is really equal to a LEGO toyline (none of their toys in my memory has had visible blood) suddenly releasing a toy slathered in blood.

(Or are you maybe referring to the unfortunate shrink-wrapping of their reconstructions that renders their innards entirely too visible? :P)

But they didn't, end of story.

This wasn't an argument about whether they did or did not; this was an argument of whether they could have invoked it earlier to allow the Mata more screen time while still producing new sets. I think I proved that quite soundly.

Tahu had a short temper and clashed with Kopaka, but eventually the two learned to get over their dislike and respect one another.

Okay, but this is still a clash between two singular personality traits: angry and cold. (Cold here meaning "distant; aloof".)

The markings look like blood but it isn't, end of story.

This argument wasn't about if it was blood in canon; that's an open-and-shut argument. Of course in canon they were called markings. I could look that up on BS01 and get that answer. The argument was about set designer intent, and the intent was blood. The blood was then called markings in canon because you can't actually get away with selling a toy covered in blood to seven-year-olds.

1: With the exception of 2005, 2007, and 2009, the Mata appeared in every year. No more screen time needed.

2: Doesn't mean they were shallow.

3: Quote from BS01: 

• The markings on Pridak's face and weapons do not represent blood, as was once commonly believed. Greg Farshtey has confirmed them to be natural markings.

With the exception of 2005, 2007, and 2009, the Mata appeared in every year. No more screen time needed.

Yeah, if Harry Potter only appeared in 5/7 books, and two of those relegated him to a side character, that'd be just okay. Exactly how stories should be written, and protagonists should be treated.

Doesn't mean they were shallow.

Having only one or two defining personality traits is the definition of a shallow character.

Quote from BS01: 

• The markings on Pridak's face and weapons do not represent blood, as was once commonly believed. Greg Farshtey has confirmed them to be natural markings.

Again, this is referring to in canon. There is a difference between in canon and in the set designer's mind. I thought I made the distinction quite clear that I wasn't talking about canon here, and in fact that if I was I would have gone to that exact section on BS01 and looked it up myself.

It doesn't mean two bits what they were in canon when talking about what they were clearly designed to resemble, which is blood.

• Upvote 3

With the exception of 2005, 2007, and 2009, the Mata appeared in every year. No more screen time needed.

Yeah, if Harry Potter only appeared in 5/7 books, and two of those relegated him to a side character, that'd be just okay. Exactly how stories should be written, and protagonists should be treated.

Doesn't mean they were shallow.

Having only one or two defining personality traits is the definition of a shallow character.

Quote from BS01: 

Again, this is referring to in canon. There is a difference between in canon and in the set designer's mind. I thought I made the distinction quite clear that I wasn't talking about canon here, and in fact that if I was I would have gone to that exact section on BS01 and looked it up myself.

It doesn't mean two bits what they were in canon when talking about what they were clearly designed to resemble, which is blood.

1: Except in Bionicle, there's no focus on one particular character. Unlike in Harry Potter, were it focuses on him alone, this one has an interchange able cast of characters. Also, the Turaga needed some sort of backstory, or else they were just these random old dudes.

2: From BS01:

Tahu is one of the boldest, fiercest, and most courageous of the Toa; however, this trait often manifests as hot-headed temper and aggression. Despite this fault, he is fiercely loyal to and very protective of his team, especially Gali. He takes being a leader very seriously, but in doing so he becomes impatient and does not feel inclined to get the opinion of his fellow Toa.

Tahu's personality often clashes with Kopaka's, though they ultimately respect each other. Gali has also become frustrated with Tahu occasionally, particularly when he acts without thinking. After Lewa was freed from the effects of the Krana, Tahu had difficulties trusting him, especially because, unknown to everyone, he had also worn a Krana briefly and therefore knew their power, but this trust was restored when Lewa demonstrated that he would risk anything to save the Matoran from the Bohrok.

Tahu has matured much since his beginnings, attempting to listen to his team more and waiting before heading into a fight without a plan.

Not exactly shallow.

3: Look, it's not blood, that's that.

didn't mean to add fuel to the fire.

in my opinion, I didn't think it was inappropriate, every kid whos played outside has seen blood from their cuts and bruises.

That happens to me sometimes.  Once I got a cut from practicing with my sword :D .

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

Jurassic parks dinosaurs had visible guts, just saying.

...I'm not sure where you're going with this. Are you saying toys based on a monster movie showed guts, or that a movie rated PG-13 (i.e. not aimed at children) showed guts? Neither of those is really equal to a LEGO toyline (none of their toys in my memory has had visible blood) suddenly releasing a toy slathered in blood.

(Or are you maybe referring to the unfortunate shrink-wrapping of their reconstructions that renders their innards entirely too visible? :P)

@Italic, yes.  Like Pacific Rim.  Except that in Pacific Rim it was not those kind of guts.  Now in Alien, underworld, that kind of stuff, showed some guts.  Also, shouldn't you and toamarksurge be talking about what you guys don't like about g2??

I think this topic is attracting people whose answer is "everything, because it isn't my nostalgia memories of G1."

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

It's possible that the Toa Mata could have been the protagonists for all eight years...

But I'm not a fan, because if that happened, Vakama would not have happened, and he was the best thing to happen to Bionicle story, so yeah. :P

I'm pretty sure Vakama happened as early as 2001, so he would have still been in the story, for what it's worth.

~B~

• Upvote 2

in my opinion, I didn't think it was inappropriate, every kid whos played outside has seen blood from their cuts and bruises.

That happens to me sometimes.  Once I got a cut from practicing with my sword :D .

You'd better be carful! :D

• Upvote 1

It's possible that the Toa Mata could have been the protagonists for all eight years...

But I'm not a fan, because if that happened, Vakama would not have happened, and he was the best thing to happen to Bionicle story, so yeah. :P

eeeehhhhhhh.... that kinda rubs me wrong 'cause it's just substituting the other roles w/ the mata, which is not what it would really be like if we focused on them at all. :0

i think the metru-nui bit was fine, but the inika's year really should have been a return to the Nuva, since the flashback saga was done. :t

(i digress from the topic of this topic though...)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Not enough armor. The new shells and Onua's stuff are cool, but there's simply not enough unique aesthetic pieces in the new bionicle run. Too many re used parts. Even the weapons are reused, I wish Kopaka had his own shield piece. Also the summer run is reusing a lot of masks as well. Only three new ones counting the mask of creation IIRC.

I've heard the "not enough new parts" argument before. However, yesterday I did some tallying up. Not counting the Manas RC elements or basic Technic elements, the 2001 sets had about 36 new molds across 24 sets. The 2015 sets have about 27 new molds across 18 sets.  So both years have an average of about 1.5 new parts per set. This is about the same as the average number of new parts per set in 2002 or 2003 (I haven't taken the time to tally things up for other years). It only seems like the 2015 sets have fewer new parts because the Toa and Protectors have a greater number of parts overall than the 2001 Toa and Turaga, and because none of their parts are as huge in proportion to their bodies as Toa Mata leg beams, arm beams, and torsos.

Even just looking at masks, it might seem like there aren't a lot of masks this year. But add up the three from the summer and the eight from the winter, and you get eleven different mask molds. 2001 had just twelve mask molds (thirteen if you count the Vahi that didn't actually get released until 2002) so there's really not a huge difference! And if you count separate colors individually instead of just molds, we already know of 36 G2 masks. That's the most masks BIONICLE has ever had in one year since mask packs went away in 2003! In fact, that's more than twice as many masks as there were in 2004 (just fourteen)! Reusing masks is really nothing new to BIONICLE, and I know some people who feel like the later years of G1 actually didn't do enough of that. Post-2005 masks were rarely available in more than one color, whereas ALL 2015 BIONICLE masks come in at least two colors.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Most the new parts are the weapons, the piston shells, the head, and the gear box. Only problem is that outside of those, the designs are extremely similar to other CCBS sets. The torso, the arms, the legs, they all look exactly the same to other CCBS sets. Its not just similar, many other CCBS sets have the exact same positioning of pieces outside of a few orientation changes if you take off the piston shells. So its not just them looking similar, in many cases they are literally identical to other CCBS sets outside of colors. 

You're right, the main problem is that there are way more parts this time around and as a result its less noticeable. Maybe they can build on themselves over the years and get to the point where there's enough to make the bionicle line distinguishable from others. Like, next year they wont need to reuse the gear box or the head, so the money spent for creating those molds can be used on some more armor.

I'm just curious though, what are the new parts counts compared to later bionicle years? I'd imagine the gap would be greater as the sets got more specialized despite the piece count increasing.

Edited by hiddenderek

I'm pretty sure Vakama happened as early as 2001, so he would have still been in the story, for what it's worth.

~B~

Yeah, but if 2004 didn't happen he would be a one-dimensional elder bit part instead of the three-dimensional character we did get. 

• Upvote 2

Please, no G1 vs G2 nostalgia war here, just talk about the things you don't like about the second generation of Bionicle.

Everything about it all except the ccbs limbs and the new heads.

You'd better be carful! :D

Well, hey.  I'm still learning :D .

I nearly lost an eye a few days ago.

That's General Discussion material. Very off-topic.

Let's talk about G2's approach to story. That's fruitful.

• Upvote 2

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

He's just saying what happened to him, that's all.  He just wanted to tell us what happened to him, and he know's that.  

• Upvote 1

He's just saying what happened to him, that's all.  He just wanted to tell us what happened to him, and he know's that.  

Yeah, but it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, we were just reminding him that it's a bit off topic.

Anyways, yeah, let's brutally criticize a story that's barely even been built up yet! /s

• Upvote 1

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

You did?!  How did it happen?

Yeah, but it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, we were just reminding him that it's a bit off topic.

Anyways, yeah, let's brutally criticize a story that's barely even been built up yet! /s

What I'm trying to say is that he'll go "in-topic" as in like back to the conversation.  But I want to know what happened and how before we go back in the discussion. 

In which case, he can go to general discussion and say how he almost lost an eye, or, you can PM him and find out there. Please, let this off-topic discussion be and get back on topic now. I believe the last productive post was Fishers' about Vakama?

Yes, I was very glad that we got more fleshing out of the Turaga's characters. Find out why Nuju needed a translator, or how Vakama became so wise... it was a wonderful, somewhat darker story arc, what with the feelings of pessimism and betrayal, and corruption. It was also nice to see some of our favorite Matoran develop and grow as they defeated foes not even the Toa Nuva could. What I feel would have been nicer is if the Toa Nuva themselves had more character.

Granted, I didn't read all the books, and most of what I know is from the movies and content on Bionicle.com, but... the Toa Nuva really seem one-dimensional. Here's hoping that that don't make the same mistakes in gen2.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I'm pretty sure that 'losing an eye comment' was a joke.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Oh, it most certainly wasn't...

Lol, you just made my day. Thanks.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Oh, it most certainly wasn't...

*suppressing snarky comment about seeking attention*

Anyway, I did enjoy the Toa Metru and their arcs, but as a set series they were meh. The latest Toa are far better for variance than any G1 team, except perhaps the Mahri, who had a whole different set of problems. And that's probably the beat advantage G2 has. For all it's shortcomings the Toa have great visual personality, even as sets. I can, at a glance, tell you Onua's the Big Guy of the team, while Pohatu and Lewa are the two lithe whippets that favour speed over power. Gali (somehow) looks extremely feminine alongside her counterparts, and Kopaka gives the great impression of wearing 'fur' to protect against the cold. Tahu just looks like 'generic awesome guy', but his antennae and bell bottom trousers definitely give him his own style.

The Metru had the opposite advantage. All of them were great personalities, but were utter clones as sets. Vakama had the best development, managing to checkmate the Xanatos of G1, but all the Toa had arcs and development that makes them memorable above the Nuva or Mahri.

• Upvote 4