VooDoo Heads on Camera

The Faber Files blog has been updated once again, this time with possibly some of the coolest content yet. In Turaga Files - Unboxing the Legend - Exhibit 023 - Video 1, Christian Faber takes out some video tapes and a camera that I'm guessing can't even be connected to a modern computer to show us some of the early concept models for the VooDoo Heads. Those sets, of course, would go on to become Bionicle, and you can already see some of the similarities like masks and functions (and one model that looks like a blue Muaka). This is a must-watch for any Bionicle fan and shows off the origins of the line!

View the full article

• Upvote 6

Its really interesting seeing these sets that would later become the Bionicle we all now know. Their functions looked really cool too, especially for the one that was walking on its own. 

I'm not the biggest fan of their heads though. I don't know why, but I just don't like them. They look too weird to me, I guess. I still wonder how many were made at the time, and if anyone outside of the Lego Company ever got their hands on one of them. It would be very cool to see someone own one of these heads.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

This is awesome, I can't believe that there is footage of the Voodoo Heads in action! If Mr. Faber has archived footage of the Dooheads, who knows what else he could have in his files...

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Disappointed the video doesn't demonstrate the head pop-off feature that terrified children. Maybe that was already out in this iteration.

But this is seriously awesome. Incredibly so.

Edited by Pereki
  • Upvote 2

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

These things are...interesting, I can see the resemblance to the Rahi in the bigger sets, but the main canister sets look nothing like what would become Tahu, Gali, Lewa (etc etc). The heads aren't appealing at all and I imagined they would have scared me as a child (heck they creep me out even now), and the functions whilst cool and ambitious look like they would had to have many pieces (many more then the final product) and thus would have inflated the prices (thus meaning less success). At the end of the day I'm happy these things were cancelled, they looked like they had some cool ideas but the whole concept of voodoo heads looks like it lacked the character and world that made bio so appealing to me and many others.

On an off-topic note I noticed that he has other tapes lined up, the ones I can read say "bionicle 2004" (then something beginning with an M), "bionicle 2005", "bionicle (behind)", and behind the something (I can't read what it says after behind the), I wonder what else he has in store for us?

Edited by masterchirox580
  • Upvote 3

It's time to move on.

Some of these concepts look really, really cool, like the Manas equivalent. However...uh yeah those heads are outright terrifying and i'm very glad LEGO didn't stick with those. Still kinda funny that the Muaka almost matches perfectly with the final, Bionicle version.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

In interviews the developers said that the prototypes were considered "too scary". I had no Idea how horrifying they actually were. Now I know. But in all honesty, they do look quite interesting. I wonder how long it will be till we get Doo Heads MOCs or fan art...

@Bfahome: Somehow, that's even worse.

Edited by Jovan2
  • Upvote 1

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

I love seeing prototype sets. Hopefully he has more videos of other prototypes lying around. But I have to agree with the general opinion on this thread; it is pretty clear why these never got released. Still, at least the proto-Rahi designs were solid enough to have recognizable elements remain in the final figures.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

That was absolutely terrifying. It's like the alternate timeline in Back to the Future: Part II. Can you imagine these things on store shelves? I knew the Boneheads were a reach and didn't pan out, but I had no clue they were that horrifying. I wasn't mentally prepared. I'm gonna have nightmares about these things beating up my Bionicle collection Small Soldiers style and then coming for me  :dontgetit: 

That being said, some of those designs are pretty wicked and they definitely succeeded at getting a very clear theme and atmosphere with 'em; it's amazing how advanced those designs and functions were. It looks like all the parts except for the heads are existing molds; somebody has to try and rebuild them!

I'm thrilled that the Faber Files are digging up some real ancient, behind-the-scenes things. I want more. I want everything he's found in that storage unit. Maybe just warn us to sit down for some of 'em next time :P

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 3

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Wow! These are some neat prototypes!:) The little blue Muaka is cute, and I can see that it was originally designed to grab heads, not masks, in terms of VooDoo Heads. Who knew these head pieces are giant! There are also some cool-looking canisters that fit these huge heads in them. Them set look like that they are school robotics made of Technic pieces.

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

So those were VooDoo Heads...

They looked pretty cool, save the head-things with googly eyes. I'm glad they switched to masks. I especially liked the recolored muaka with limbs that fell off. That was a nice feature

But the final version of the Muaka retained that feature. I personally never liked it and added some pieces to the set so that the set wouldn't fall apart when I played with it.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Wow. While the Faber Files have been consistently good lately, if he can top this then we've really got something.

Seeing the original "Bionicle" sets is just... well, surreal. These Boneheads of Voodoo Island are so uncanny. Familiar yet not. Doesn't help that their faces are absolutely terrifying.

Interesting designs that seem more reminiscent of Slizer... also the functions are pretty cool. Found it interesting how the Rahi were clearly recycled from some of the bigger sets seen. Muaka looks pretty much the same, I saw a Tarakava-like set, and it seems the Mana's took inspiration from the walking thing.

Super cool. Can't wait for some more quality Faber Files.

-NotS

• Upvote 4

tahubanner.jpg

If they had come out, you would have had to tell everyone that you liked "VooDoo Heads" instead of "Bionicle."

. . . You just shed a very frightening light on how different my childhood would have been if they'd stuck with VooDoo Heads.

Vale, Nuile :smilemirunu:

• Upvote 2

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Seeing this was...an experience. They were so...so very creepy. But still cool. The walking dude looked legitimately imposing, swinging that chain around, his creepy, unsteady gait. And those heads, oh my. If they came out with this instead of Bionicle, I would have gotten nightmares.

=)

• Upvote 1

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad