Should Bionicle bring back the Matoran sets

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the past, Bionicle has included Matoran sets; Smaller-scale sets of the residents of the Bionicle universe. So far, they have not made a comeback in G2. My question is... Do you want to see the Matoran sets come back?

Edited by Booky The Bookworm
  • Upvote 1

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Isn't that kind of what the Protectors are? We don't know if Matoran exist in this new story, so you just mean small sets. Have you compared a Protector to any of the Toa? There you go. Small sets all around!

It was shown in the animations that there are villagers along with the protector.

• Upvote 1

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Isn't that kind of what the Protectors are? We don't know if Matoran exist in this new story, so you just mean small sets. Have you compared a Protector to any of the Toa? There you go. Small sets all around!

It was shown in the animations that there are villagers along with the protector.

I know that. But the OP sounds like he's saying we don't have small sets, when clearly we do.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I know that. But the OP sounds like he's saying we don't have small sets, when clearly we do.

I wouldn't call them small, I'd call them medium. I mean, we can get MUCH SMALLER sets than the protectors.

• Upvote 1

|

I would like villagers. But I don't know if it would be a good idea.

Don't get me wrong. It would be a great idea for fans like us. But would such sets even be marketable? The Protectors are already fairly cheap at $10 apiece. Villagers, as seen in the animations, resemble the Protectors apart from having less armor, less impressive weapons, and unblended masks (the masks being pretty much the only parts of the villagers that can't be made with existing parts). I don't know if there's a real market for what would essentially constitute less impressive versions of already-affordable sets.

I could maybe see three ways that villagers could be marketed, but neither would exactly be conducive to collecting a ton of them. The first would be if villagers were released as sub-$5 polybag sets, for checkout aisles and the like. But chances are it wouldn't be practical to have six full sets of that type—in other words, you might get one tribe's villager, but there's little chance of a full set of six being released that way. The second would be if the villagers didn't come on their own as a sub-$10 set, but rather came with a vehicle (like the Boxor or Mazeka) at a higher price point. It's possible that unique vehicles or similar models could offset the villagers' own lack of distinct appeal. But if villagers were released that way, it would be pretty impractical to assemble a sizable population of villagers. The third (and probably the most appealing for collectors) would be if multiple villagers were released as a co-pack. It's possible that a $10–$15 set of two or three villagers might be more marketable than a single villager would be on their own. With the inclusion of a Skull Spider or similar corrupting force, such a set would offer built-in conflict play, and would be the cheapest way for fans to get multiple figures at such a low price. Best of all, you'd only need two or three such sets to assemble a full assortment of six villagers. But even then, I'm only hypothesizing as to how practical such sets would be—I have no idea whether they would actually be practical in terms of their sales potential.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I would like villagers. But I don't know if it would be a good idea.

Don't get me wrong. It would be a great idea for fans like us. But would such sets even be marketable? The Protectors are already fairly cheap at $10 apiece. Villagers, as seen in the animations, resemble the Protectors apart from having less armor, less impressive weapons, and unblended masks (the masks being pretty much the only parts of the villagers that can't be made with existing parts). I don't know if there's a real market for what would essentially constitute less impressive versions of already-affordable sets.

I could maybe see three ways that villagers could be marketed, but neither would exactly be conducive to collecting a ton of them. The first would be if villagers were released as sub-$5 polybag sets, for checkout aisles and the like. But chances are it wouldn't be practical to have six full sets of that type—in other words, you might get one tribe's villager, but there's little chance of a full set of six being released that way. The second would be if the villagers didn't come on their own as a sub-$10 set, but rather came with a vehicle (like the Boxor or Mazeka) at a higher price point. It's possible that unique vehicles or similar models could offset the villagers' own lack of distinct appeal. But if villagers were released that way, it would be pretty impractical to assemble a sizable population of villagers. The third (and probably the most appealing for collectors) would be if multiple villagers were released as a co-pack. It's possible that a $10–$15 set of two or three villagers might be more marketable than a single villager would be on their own. With the inclusion of a Skull Spider or similar corrupting force, such a set would offer built-in conflict play, and would be the cheapest way for fans to get multiple figures at such a low price. Best of all, you'd only need two or three such sets to assemble a full assortment of six villagers. But even then, I'm only hypothesizing as to how practical such sets would be—I have no idea whether they would actually be practical in terms of their sales potential.

This.

|

I voted yes. 

Even though I kind of see the Protectors as the 'small sets' of Gen 2, I wouldn't mind seeing even smaller ones of one of the villagers sometime in the future. Though I don't think they would be called Matoran.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I'm pretty sure that the last time I checked, the Protectors are the Matoran.

Also I think Matoran Vehicle comeback would be great and have a recolor master mask like Onua Mask.

Yes, I wouldn't mind some vehicles coming into G2, think it'd be quite interesting seeing some more CCBS-bionicle style vehicles.

Edited by Forgeta

|

Also I think Matoran Vehicle comeback would be great and have a recolor master mask like Onua Mask.

Yes.

1st; @Forgetta: your single post responses are bordering on SPAM. Hope a staff doesn't notice.

2nd; @ShadowWolfHount: Don't let too many people hear you say that. While I agree and even openly expressed that the Protectors are Matoran most people see them more as the Turaga of Gen2 with the normal villagers being separate and therefore the Gen2 Matoran.

On to the topic at hand I would love to see some form of secondary release of the villagers(Protectors) at large as it could confirm the argument one way or the other if the villagers are different than the currently released Protectors other than due to having the weapons of choice as a Gen2 version of a "Staff of office" At it's core I just want them as an excuse to flush out the villager scene as a whole. I mean we got 3 types of characters at the beginning of gen1 (Tohunga/Matoran; Turaga; Toa) and had an established hierarchy for them. So far we have only two types of characters with a perceived 3rd. So give us the 3rd and end the debate once and for all.

I can see a lot of the arguments against releasing generic villagers by themselves as stated there wouldn't be much call for it with the cheapness of the already released Protector sets. So I cast my vote for multi packs. Releasing 2 or more in a single set to bolster the ranks. While I suspect the price range could get up to Toa level if they do. Even if they don't carry all the armor/weapons of the Protectors their piece count would be double; triple; due to having two characters. So naturally the price in turn would also have to go up.

The Villager/Vehicle combo pack would be cool, maybe for an impulse buy. Though I could not see people doubling up on it to increase their ranks. Sure you'd get a vehicle of some kind and could possibly have races between multiple, but if the idea is to release villagers there would be a better more cost effective way to do so. Unless you just liked getting the parts for later MOCs.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Yes, I wouldn't mind some vehicles coming into G2, think it'd be quite interesting seeing some more CCBS-bionicle style vehicles.

1st; @Forgetta: your single post responses are bordering on SPAM. Hope a staff doesn't notice.

What spam? ;3

Edited by Forgeta

|

What spam? ;3

The posts that say nothing but "This." If you really like what a post is saying, upvote it. Don't spam the discussion.

Back on topic, I don't want "Matoran" per se. I do want villagers. However, after looking at Lyichir's post, I don't think that would happen. I would love to get some unblended masks, though, because I don't like my villager self-moc to have a Protector mask. I'd rather just plain white.

Edited by Cwog

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Whilst I'd like to see it happen, I doubt it will because as Lyichir said, the Protectors have already filled the six small sets category. Perhaps as a McToran style promotion?

What specifically do you mean by "McToran style"? We're not going to ever see anything quite like like the McToran again, because McDonalds and similar fast food establishments don't favor toys that require any substantial amount of assembly (hence why when Lego toys DO appear these days, they're usually the same sort of low-quality molded figures as other such toys, rather than being made out of actual Lego). And while Lego releases occasional promotional sets through other means, like the Hero Pack, the chance of a full set of six full sets based on a niche theme being released in that way are incredibly slim.

• Upvote 1

I meant a repeat of the McDonald's promotion in 2001 which saw villager sets available with Happy Meals, something you seem certain won't happen again.

Yeah. McDonalds has not had buildable Lego models as Happy Meal toys for many years now—the last such Lego-compatible toys were Lego Racers cars released in Denmark and Canada in 2009, and the last ones in America were Lego Sports figures released more than ten years ago. In fact. It's not soley McDonalds' fault—Happy Meal toys are used by a lot of parents as a convenient distraction to shut their kids up, and as such when McDonalds used to release Lego models as toys, they would end up having to answer to a lot of frustrated parents who themselves were frustrated by their kids being unable to decode the instructions and then bothering them for help. It's much easier (and cheaper) to release a single-piece toy that might disappoint kids but won't risk confusing them.

In fact, the reason why Lego no longer features alternate models on most of their boxes is somewhat similar. Back when Lego used to do that for almost all sets, Lego customer service ended up swamped with calls asking how the models were constructed. Of course, Lego neither had instructions for those models (which were whipped up by model builders late in the design process and meant solely as inspiration) nor could provide them to callers, meaning that rather than allaying customer concerns and sending them away happy like Lego aspires to do, they had no choice but to disappoint them and possibly make them even more upset. Nowadays the only alternate builds shown on Lego packages are the ones from themes like Creator, Technic, and The Lego Movie, since those are the themes for which the alternate builds are considered an integral part of the design process.

• Upvote 3

Yeah I am going to have to agree with Lyichir on this one. The likelihood of a fastfood chain releasing buildable toys of more then say 4 pieces is unlikely at best. Keeping in mind that the McToran did have but 4 varying pieces (feet; body; arms; head). Though not sure what the record is for the alternate models for displayed pieces on packages as there seems to be quite a list of models now on the lego site along with other locations after the fact. Either 3rd party instructions in special releases in lego magazines. So while TLG may have had their fair share of displeased parents calling about instructions for alternate models a Company knows they cannot please all the people all the time. This is equally true of Lego. No matter how hard they may try...

• Upvote 1

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Back before BIONICLE came back, I contemplated the possibility of doing Mixels-style $5 impulse sets that would include either a villager or a small creature. That would allow you to release sets with even greater variety than the McToran (which is good, because complete clone sets like that really don't have a lot of selling power in this day and age). After all, the Mixels theme so far introduces nine unique Mixels each wave and twenty-seven each year!

There are a couple issues with this proposal. The first is obvious: there's no way of knowing whether BIONICLE has the sales strength to support 18 regular-size sets AND a whole line of impulse-priced sets. Even in the G1 days, the only reason we got the McToran at all was because of that McDonalds promotion — never again did we have two complete series of villager-size sets in a single year. And while Mixels can support 27 unique sets a year, that's because it doesn't have to support any larger sets in addition to those. Most people can't just afford to buy more sets because more sets happen to be available. And that means that you'd be spreading the same demand for the theme as a whole thinner and thinner across a wider and wider range of sets. This is why the number of sets has to get bigger or smaller in response to the projected demand, not the other way around.

The second sort of ties in with what I said about clone sets. These days, set design standards are a lot higher than they used to be. Complete clone sets are unheard of. Even the smallest G2 BIONICLE sets (the Protectors) have eleven to thirteen points of articulation, something that was unheard of for villager sets back in G1 BIONICLE! And BIONICLE sets tend to float around 20 cents per piece, while System sets more often float around ten cents per piece, so a BIONICLE set priced the same as a Mixel would not be able to include anywhere near as many parts. I have no doubt that you could sell a villager of Okoto with eleven points of articulation, or a creature of roughly the same size, for just five dollars (though you might be limited in how many recolors you could afford to include without going over budget). Designing a whole assortment of them that don't feel like clones is where things get more difficult, because the fewer pieces you have to work with, the harder it is to change things up.

As you can see, it isn't the size of the sets that would be an issue so much as the NUMBER. Even if BIONICLE G2 sells like hotcakes, it probably couldn't support a whole Mixel-sized wave of impulse sets in addition to what it has now. Six might be more realistic... but that still depends on whether the designers can really make them unique enough that they won't just seem like watered-down Protectors.

• Upvote 2

Yeah...

Seeing as how from the animations the villagers as a whole; from what we have seen of them, are just "watered-down" versions of the Protector sets. Being they either just have a differently colored mask, and/or lack any weapons all together. So what is a Protector with no weapons? Sold for scrap; or putting it gently a glorified Parts pack. Now if they decided to change up the color pallet of the villagers some that would be an improvement for "army building" but even with different colors it would be simply a parts pack. Or clone set...

Onua.png

Yeah...

Seeing as how from the animations the villagers as a whole; from what we have seen of them, are just "watered-down" versions of the Protector sets. Being they either just have a differently colored mask, and/or lack any weapons all together. So what is a Protector with no weapons? Sold for scrap; or putting it gently a glorified Parts pack. Now if they decided to change up the color pallet of the villagers some that would be an improvement for "army building" but even with different colors it would be simply a parts pack. Or clone set...

Well, I think you have to bear in mind that even though the animations so far use just one stock design for villagers, that's not to say that ALL villagers of Okoto adhere to that stock design. Animated crowds can never be expected to reflect the full diversity of a population of individuals. It's just a matter of how many "crowd-filler" designs you have the budget and production time to create. The first three BIONICLE movies had plenty of "cloned" Matoran in its crowds. That doesn't mean that the populations of Mata Nui and Metru Nui didn't include more characters with more unique masks and color schemes, just that they weren't shown in those crowd scenes.

And remember that the story media reflects the sets, not the other way around. This means that the designers can make whatever changes they like for the purposes of new sets, and the story media will change to accommodate them via hand-waves or retcons. Remember, Mata Nui Online Game didn't have any Onu-Matoran with orange masks, but after Nuparu appeared in the Boxor set, suddenly the Onu-Koro of Mata Nui Online Game II was full of them. If more diverse villagers were introduced as sets, there's no reason the animators couldn't just seed them into crowd scenes in next year's animations without needing to make any excuses for why we didn't see them before.

I can see the potential for SOME variation in physiques among impulse-priced villager sets. There are some limitations, but those have more to do with piece count/budget limitations than with having to adhere strictly to what's been seen in the animations thus far. If you priced the new villager sets at $10 like the Protectors, then they could be just as diverse. The only problem then would be that you'd probably still be limited to six per year, instead of vast numbers like my probably impractical Mixels-esque idea.

• Upvote 1

See my point isn't / wasn't so much that the animations were dictating how villager sets would look. Keeping in mind that in Gen1 the new versions of the Matoran you described were "clones" or "re-decals" of already established sets. With Onu-Matoran possessing a new colored masks. It is true that it is likely that we are not likely to get more than 6 sets. That being said the limited parts and general smaller size limits the customizing possibility of released sets relying mostly on recolored parts rather then totally new designs. I mean CCBS skeleton does not leave much variety in the biological options available. You get two arms that would have 2-4 links at the very most, followed by equally with the legs themselves. Any more and you could be going from Protector/villager size into Toa Territory. These types have already been explored with the current Protector sets.

So Either we will be getting glorified recolors defined as Villagers with again, the possible lack of weapons(G1 Staffs of office maybe?) released to define them as basic villagers over the seemingly different Protector class. So where you argue the Onu-Matoran got a new mask due to the Boxer set release animation following suit you skipped over the fact that the Matoran that came with the Boxer was a recolor and nothing more as defined as a separate unique character as is true of the villagers(Matoran) within Bionicle. The only real change is when they went from the McToran design to the Rebuilt version upon the release of inspired sets. And then again with the Metru forms followed again by the 4th Matoran forms. These changes would have been better suggested for your side of the argument. Not so much the newly colored Masks... :D.

Now CCBS has room to expand and it is possible with the release of new parts a new form of the Protector/Villagers could be released in set and then animation form. However speaking from the experience of the past evolution of the villagers we can expect possible rereleases of the current Protectors in a possible villager form since we already know that the villagers we have seen match the Protector sets we have if only on a basic level. So it would stand to reason that if they do choose to release villager sets they will more than likely fit this bill with a possible addition of a generic tool or maybe Rahi style creature.

As it stands I would love recolors of the parts and masks(Solid or otherwise) to expand on my collection. However I don't hold much hope of them releasing villager sets unless they don't already have them in production for year 2-3.

Onua.png

don't the protectors count as matoran sets? i mean ,yeah they're 10$ instead of 5-8$ but that's also because they have more humanlike proportions and stuff. :0

Yup, because humans have chainguns for guts lol. :)

Let me explain my preference for Matoran:

They have actual personalities.

No skeleball

Unique masks (that's a huge plus to me)

don't the protectors count as matoran sets? i mean ,yeah they're 10$ instead of 5-8$ but that's also because they have more humanlike proportions and stuff. :0

Let me explain my preference for Matoran:

They have actual personalities.

No skeleball

Unique masks (that's a huge plus to me)

Let me explain why those opinions are misguided:

Peesonalities have nothing to do with the type of sets.

Any future villagers would almost inevitably use "Skeleball", which replaced the old system for a reason.

The 2008 Matoran were literally the only ones that ever had unique masks.

• Upvote 2

Anatomy =/= proportions.

Also, since you said "personalities" in a topic about sets, I can turn it from a jab at the animations to pointing out that almost none (the Voyatoran were a blessed exemption) of the G1 Matoran had any personality to their builds because they were all built exactly the same. Meanwhile, the Protectors mix it up quite a bit, and with the Protector of Earth being rather buff and the Protector of Jungle being somewhat lanky, I can safely say more personality went into their designs than most Matoran sets.

Your complaint may have been at their lack of screentime in the animations, but that has no bearing on the sets themselves. The sets themselves have more personality than the Matoran you uphold.

• Upvote 3

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does the word "skeleball" refer to?

It refers to the Character & Creature Building System, based on the fact the system features bones that are made up of ball joints.

"The Kingslayer"

z2r5DTz.png

Complete Okoto Alphabet + Okotoan Symbols | Infrared's Okoto Font | SDCC Semi-Live Coverage

—————————BZPGOT S1 KILLS—————————

Gi9juq3.png

So it specifically refers to the limb pieces with ball joints in the middle as well as the ends?

Don't worry that much about it. It's just a snarky term a single BZPower member uses to denigrate the system as a whole. It's not a term you're likely to see anywhere else.

So it specifically refers to the limb pieces with ball joints in the middle as well as the ends?

Don't worry that much about it. It's just a snarky term a single BZPower member uses to denigrate the system as a whole. It's not a term you're likely to see anywhere else.

outside of graveyard basketball tournaments anyway. :v

• Upvote 2

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png