Should Bionicle bring back the Matoran sets

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So it specifically refers to the limb pieces with ball joints in the middle as well as the ends?

Don't worry that much about it. It's just a snarky term a single BZPower member uses to denigrate the system as a whole. It's not a term you're likely to see anywhere else.

outside of graveyard basketball tournaments anyway. :v

Now I need to see somebody draw this. :P

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

don't the protectors count as matoran sets? i mean ,yeah they're 10$ instead of 5-8$ but that's also because they have more humanlike proportions and stuff. :0

Not really.  Matoran are basically smaller than the "protectors".  Like when they first did the matoran back in 2000/2001/2002.

• Upvote 1

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

don't the protectors count as matoran sets? i mean ,yeah they're 10$ instead of 5-8$ but that's also because they have more humanlike proportions and stuff. :0

Not really.  Matoran are basically smaller than the "protectors".  Like when they first did the matoran back in 2000/2001/2002.

Then they made the matoran bigger, Which I didn't like.

Then they made the matoran bigger, Which I didn't like.

BIONICLE villager size changed over the years. In 2001 and 2002 they were much smaller than their leaders, the Turaga, but from 2003 onward villagers and village leaders were always roughly the same size (compare 2003 Jaller to 2001 Vakama, or Nuhrii to Turaga Dume, or Berix to Raanu). So I think if we got G2 villagers as sets they'd be similar in height to the Protectors, though maybe with slightly less armor and gear like we have seen in the animations. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the only reason the "McToran" were so small in the first place was that they were being distributed as freebie McDonalds toys and had to be kept within an extremely tight budget.

The simplest villager you could build that resembles the ones in the animations would be about 21 pieces. Even with weapons, a figure this size could possibly be sold as a $5 impulse set like the Mixels or previous years' LEGO Friends animal packs rather than a $10 set like the Protectors. But one of the biggest disadvantages (other than the challenge of introducing build differences with so few pieces) would be the lack of any kind of action feature. Even the $2, 8-piece "McToran" sets had a disk-flinging function. Without any sort of function, G2 villager sets would end up feeling even more like watered-down Protectors.

There are other options of how to make villager sets interesting, of course. For instance, you could bump them up to $10 sets like the Protectors and give each one a small vehicle or creature (this might weaken their potential for "army building", but would add more building value and play value). Or you could add weapons that include some kind of function — ideally something different than the rotating blasters of the Protector sets, though, because again, you wouldn't want them to seem like just watered-down Protectors.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

why not have small pets in polybags? Ex. The Fikou polybag? I'm small firebirds or a fish, or some little creature would be more than feasible for the price range you're thinking of. On the other hand, more specific villagers would be much appreciated like Takua, Nuparu, etc. But we don't have any rahi/creatures aside from the LOSS & the actual skull spiders so...I'm in favor of polybags with small pets. (I did vote yes in the poll, just btw)

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

why not have small pets in polybags? Ex. The Fikou polybag? I'm small firebirds or a fish, or some little creature would be more than feasible for the price range you're thinking of. On the other hand, more specific villagers would be much appreciated like Takua, Nuparu, etc. But we don't have any rahi/creatures aside from the LOSS & the actual skull spiders so...I'm in favor of polybags with small pets. (I did vote yes in the poll, just btw)

I would love small animal polybags like that! For years I've been trying to design small, simple creatures from CCBS parts. Those ones were envisioned as Hero Factory creatures, but the BIONICLE theme would probably be a much better fit for those kinds of creatures anyway (albeit with some stylistic changes).

• Upvote 1

BIONICLE villager size changed over the years. In 2001 and 2002 they were much smaller than their leaders, the Turaga, but from 2003 onward villagers and village leaders were always roughly the same size (compare 2003 Jaller to 2001 Vakama, or Nuhrii to Turaga Dume, or Berix to Raanu). So I think if we got G2 villagers as sets they'd be similar in height to the Protectors, though maybe with slightly less armor and gear like we have seen in the animations. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the only reason the "McToran" were so small in the first place was that they were being distributed as freebie McDonalds toys and had to be kept within an extremely tight budget.

The simplest villager you could build that resembles the ones in the animations would be about 21 pieces. Even with weapons, a figure this size could possibly be sold as a $5 impulse set like the Mixels or previous years' LEGO Friends animal packs rather than a $10 set like the Protectors. But one of the biggest disadvantages (other than the challenge of introducing build differences with so few pieces) would be the lack of any kind of action feature. Even the $2, 8-piece "McToran" sets had a disk-flinging function. Without any sort of function, G2 villager sets would end up feeling even more like watered-down Protectors.

There are other options of how to make villager sets interesting, of course. For instance, you could bump them up to $10 sets like the Protectors and give each one a small vehicle or creature (this might weaken their potential for "army building", but would add more building value and play value). Or you could add weapons that include some kind of function — ideally something different than the rotating blasters of the Protector sets, though, because again, you wouldn't want them to seem like just watered-down Protectors.

This did not need to be explained because I knew what happened over the yrs.  I don't understand it and I wasn't talking about the bio '15 villagers.

So it specifically refers to the limb pieces with ball joints in the middle as well as the ends?

Don't worry that much about it. It's just a snarky term a single BZPower member uses to denigrate the system as a whole. It's not a term you're likely to see anywhere else.

Now I need to see somebody draw this. :P

If someone drew a graveyard basketball tournament, but they used the skeleton warrior sets, would the art belong in the Creative Outlet Forum or the Off Topic Culture Forum?

• Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

This did not need to be explained because I knew what happened over the yrs.  I don't understand it and I wasn't talking about the bio '15 villagers.

Well, I mean, seeing as G1 is over, G2 villagers are basically what any "Matoran" sets today would be anyway. They wouldn't have to look exactly like the villagers from the 2015 animations (they could ostensibly have different masks or proportions or armor), but that's our best hint at what G2 villagers might look like, and it's fairly consistent with what 2003, 2004, and 2009 BIONICLE villagers looked like (which is to say, around the same size as their leaders, except with different physiques). So if new "Matoran" sets did appear, I think the Protector sets give a general idea of what their height and articulation would be like.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

Well, I mean, seeing as G1 is over, G2 villagers are basically what any "Matoran" sets today would be anyway. They wouldn't have to look exactly like the villagers from the 2015 animations (they could ostensibly have different masks or proportions or armor), but that's our best hint at what G2 villagers might look like, and it's fairly consistent with what 2003, 2004, and 2009 BIONICLE villagers looked like (which is to say, around the same size as their leaders, except with different physiques). So if new "Matoran" sets did appear, I think the Protector sets give a general idea of what their height and articulation would be like.

"Well, I mean, seeing as G1 is over, G2 villagers are basically what any "Matoran" sets today would be anyway"

The old matoran sets are still out today because they are being sold by other people.

"Well, I mean, seeing as G1 is over, G2 villagers are basically what any "Matoran" sets today would be anyway"

The old matoran sets are still out today because they are being sold by other people.

That's how I put it.

What does that matter? This topic is asking about whether LEGO should make new, official Matoran/villager sets, which has absolutely nothing to do with what old sets resellers are still selling.

Besides, that argument is a bit faulty. If you use that kind of logic, then no LEGO theme has ever ended. Blacktron is still out. Fabuland is still out. Belville is still out. Throwbots is still out. Galidor is still out. After all, there are still people selling sets from all of those themes, and there probably always will be unless all the remaining owners of those sets decide to either throw them out or keep them forever.

Fans can do whatever they like to keep all these old themes alive in spirit, but officially, they have ended.

• Upvote 3

LEGO could always reintroduce the name "Matoran" like they did with "Toa." So new Matoran sets, meaning sets that are specifically classified as "Matoran," are not completely out of the question.

However, I personally doubt they will.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

LEGO could always reintroduce the name "Matoran" like they did with "Toa." So new Matoran sets, meaning sets that are specifically classified as "Matoran," are not completely out of the question.

However, I personally doubt they will.

What they're called is a secondary factor to whether we get villager sets at all.

And as for whether villager sets could be successful, it's a real dilemma. If the sets are less interesting or dynamic than the Protectors, it's hard to see them being that successful. But if they're more interesting or dynamic than the Protectors, it'd be hard for them to seem credible as the Protectors' subjects. Plus, it's hard to undercut the Protectors' price, considering they're already pretty affordable. The best solution would probably be some sort of gimmick—maybe pairing them with an animal companion, or offering packs of multiple distinct villagers, like a battle pack. But both of those solutions would have the drawback of raising the overall price of the villagers themselves.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

If someone drew a graveyard basketball tournament, but they used the skeleton warrior sets, would the art belong in the Creative Outlet Forum or the Off Topic Culture Forum?

If it uses the Bionicle 2015 skeleton sets, it goes in Creative Outlet, most specifically General Art. 

Anyway, back in the land of on-topic, it depends on whether Matoran sets are feasible. Maybe as like a polybag or as part of a larger set, like the Ancient City Epic Showdown Set for 2017, complete with Ekimu/Makuta sculptures, mask forge models, a scale model of the Temple of Time (including the Exclusive!Mask of Time itself), and the Epic Bridge of Destiny! Preorders will be accepted in March, and will sell out in minutes!

I just consulted my crystal ball. It's all true, kids. 

Edited by fishers64
  • Upvote 3

I would love small animal polybags like that! For years I've been trying to design small, simple creatures from CCBS parts. Those ones were envisioned as Hero Factory creatures, but the BIONICLE theme would probably be a much better fit for those kinds of creatures anyway (albeit with some stylistic changes).

I really like the concept of the dog and the bird. The monkey was pretty cool, but the head was kinda weird imo. But those MoC's are essentially what I'm getting at, though maybe they'll feature a few more technic pieces to help with sizing and making them more proportionate. But yeah, Aanchir and I are onto something here!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Not as sets, but polybags. I love the idea of Matoran polybags in G1... or ANY polybags in this phase of G1.

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/18085-matoran-polybags/

ಠ_ಠ

Anyway, yeah I like the idea of simple-build villagers with one or two piece weapons (like 2003 Matoran Kolhii sticks).

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username.