Gen2 Vehicles

Xabla

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing vehicles in the new Bionicle! Any sort would do, provided they stayed true to Bionicle's overall aesthetic and feel. It doesn't really matter who pilots them, either—I'd first considered vehicles for the Toa, like the ones in 2008 (with the hopes that if we got those we could get them for all six of them), but recently it occurred to me that vehicle sets might be our best shot at getting non-Protector villagers (since it would allow the less impressive villagers to be balanced by the appeal of unique vehicles).

Another option, of course, would be ridable animals or steeds—back in the classic theme I'd considered the possibility of a series of animal companions for the Toa, but the story never really delivered on those hopes.

It's also worth noting that my pipe dream of seeing Bionicle figs in Lego Dimensions is also dependent on vehicles or creatures existing to base mini-models on, since every figure announced so far has come with a mini-model for them to ride with the exception of Wyldstyle and Gandalf from the starter set.

• Upvote 5

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

define vehicle. I mean the early Bionicle on Mata Nui didn't have vehicles. Relying more on specialized Rahi for their transport. I think in truth the only vehicle they had that could be classed as a vehicle was the Ga-Wahi boats. Then maybe the Exo-Toa. The later ones were more for one of the other regions were they not?

With the preliminaries out of the way I could stand to see a Boat type design made from CCBS/Technic like the LOSS. Maybe some form of glider for the Jungle villagers. I can't really see too many "Vehicles" in a tribal island atmosphere as they are more of an industrial concept.

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Well, the vehicle sets of 2008 and 2009 are cool, but I never really played with them much, which is ironic because I play with Technic (line) sets a fair bit. However, I wouldn't mind seeing Boxor-like vehicles with villager pilots. Creatures like the Gukko Bird (2001) would be cool to have as well, if you're counting creatures as vehicles. Like Lyichir, I'd like vehicles to stay true to Bionicle aesthetics.

So yes, I do want them, but I don't want big ones like the Jetrax T6 and Axalara T9, which are expensive for kids and take up a bit of budget.

• Upvote 1

It would be pretty cool to see some vehicles, though we really don't know anything about the fauna or technology of Okoto, so it's really impossible to predict what mounts or vehicles might appear. I think it would be pretty cool if there was a callback to the Ussanui, with a vehicle being constructed of the dismantled parts of defeated robotic enemies or something, perhaps driven by a Seventh Toa. But who knows? So far, the Bionicle sets have been seriously impressive, so I'm pretty confident if we do get vehicles, they will certainly be satisfying, whatever they might be.

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

define vehicle. I mean the early Bionicle on Mata Nui didn't have vehicles. Relying more on specialized Rahi for their transport. I think in truth the only vehicle they had that could be classed as a vehicle was the Ga-Wahi boats. Then maybe the Exo-Toa. The later ones were more for one of the other regions were they not?

With the preliminaries out of the way I could stand to see a Boat type design made from CCBS/Technic like the LOSS. Maybe some form of glider for the Jungle villagers. I can't really see too many "Vehicles" in a tribal island atmosphere as they are more of an industrial concept.

There was also the Boxor, but that was just as much a weapon as a vehicle. Then there was the Ussanui, but that had barely any screen time before it crashed and got totaled. There's also the cable car to Ko-Koro, but that hardly qualifies as a vehicle...more like an elevator that moves on an angle.

Anyway, I still haven't bought any sets or payed much attention to the new generation. I'm on the fence about it, because I loved the old BIONICLE and want to respect it, and if I start collecting sets again it'll cost lots of money. As for vehicles...not sure. I got all the 2008 vehicles, but none of the 2009 ones mostly because I was A) depressed about BIONICLE ending and kind of alienated myself from the franchise and B) I was at a residential school (long story), so I didn't have as much free time to buy stuff and nowhere to keep it.

The vehicles are kind of a cool concept, though, as they don't represent characters, but the world OF the characters. It gives some insight into how society works and how far the technology in it has reaches. The only problem is that vehicles are big, so they cost more than the average "titan" set and they're hard to store without falling apart. All my vehicles are in pieces.

• Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Cheesy brings up a good point. They're expensive, and with the 2015 waves already totaling in at $270, do we really want that much more expense? I'm not sure... I'm planning on getting a job soon, maybe in the summer. Point is, I know that some little kid that might want all the sets but doesn't have a whole lot of money may be disappointed if LEGO adds another expense in. Of course, I don't know much about money and sales and all that. I think Lyichir may be more suited to that.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I'd be open to Bionicle boats, submarines, and spaceships. (If there is a Bionicle boat, I'm buying it. I heart boats.)

Of course, when we go to the Okoto version of Metru Nui, I totally want Tahu to have a slick motorbike. Totally fits his G2 personality. That will be the same line with Lewa's airplane, Kopaka's TANK, Gali's jet-ski, Pohatu's desert racer, and Onua's giant mech with giant cannon douf-ma-jigs. YES. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind seeing vehicles or steeds in the Gen 2 story. I like the vehicle sets from the original line, and I think they would be cool to see them return for the new story. As for pilots, I personally would like for the Protectors to use them. I would love to see a 'Gen 2 Boxor' with a Protector piloting it. 

Of course, when we go to the Okoto version of Metru Nui, I totally want Tahu to have a slick motorbike. Totally fits his G2 personality. That will be the same line with Lewa's airplane, Kopaka's TANK, Gali's jet-ski, Pohatu's desert racer, and Onua's giant mech with giant cannon douf-ma-jigs. YES. 

I now want Kopaka to have a tank sometime in the future storyline. I don't care how they bring it into the story. This just needs to happen, because it would be beyond awesome. :P

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I now want Kopaka to have a tank sometime in the future storyline. I don't care how they bring it into the story. This just needs to happen, because it would be beyond awesome. :P

Yeah, his animation form totally looks like a tank driver. :)

It doesn't look like they have any sort of vehicle techs in the videos. Maybe steeds.

So far, we've only seen isolated villages and wilderness. Assumedly, like Metru Nui, the best technology that ever existed on Okoto would probably have been lost when the Ancient City was abandoned. Some of it may well still be there.

Besides that, we hardly saw much in the way of vehicle technology in the classic theme until 2002. It's hardly realistic to assume that what we've seen is all we're ever going to get. I'm not saying that we WILL see vehicles, but considering that sets come before story and vehicle sets have perennially been a part of constraction themes, I think it'd be silly to assume vehicles will never happen just because this year's sets and story lack them.

Well keep in mind that the ancient city was possibly something more along the lines of old Aztec or Mayan architecture meaning that while life within the city was I would assume better than say the villages as a whole, I do not hold much hope there would be stashed anything on a level of what we may have gotten in the later years of Gen1. Sleds or Mounts of the local fauna seem a likely option. Even if only for the villagers themselves and not the Toa.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

If and when Takanuva shows up (you all saw that grin on the reps faces when his name was mentioned at the NYCC panel :P) I do kind of hope he's got something to ride. Whether that be a Rahkshi Corpse Hover Bike Mk. 2 or some kind of mount. 

When did they mention him?

76561198084608045.png

Γαρ επιστιμη!

Для науки!

For science!

(Literally, it means "For knowledge", but it can be taken as "For science")

Take into account how HF handled vehicles.

...With occasional bikes or similar vehicles every few years?

That really wouldn't be any different from how the classic theme tended to approach vehicle sets. I'm confused as to what kind of argument you're trying to make.

I'd love to see vehicles that sort of have a balance between looking futuristic and ancient/magical. I think the Exo-Toa armor and the Ussanui might come closest to this in classic BIONICLE, in terms of both sets and story (although the Ussanui was not ancient at all, the directions to make it were magically granted to Takanuva upon becoming a Toa).

Examples of this sort of "magitek" include Dragoon from Kirby Air Ride and the Great Sacred Treasure from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Chances are you'd want a BIONICLE vehicle to look slightly more mechanical-looking than those, both to fit the visual language of the other sets and parts and to allow you to incorporate more action features, but that's the sort of vehicle that I think might fit the BIONICLE G2 story. Just as the BIONICLE universe's inhabitants think of themselves as people rather than technology, I think their vehicles (despite being mechanical) should be thought of as valuable treasures rather than just as machines — even more so if they are particularly rare or special for whatever reason.

Animal steeds of some sort (or animal companions in general) could also be cool for the BIONICLE G2 universe. What sort, I don't know. Horses would feel a bit too "real-world" for BIONICLE G2, I think, and they wouldn't exactly fit the tropical island setting. On the other hand, I almost think some BIONICLE animals almost got TOO exotic, like the Kikanalo. As cool as a combination rhino and kangaroo might be, it's the sort of alien creature that made BIONICLE feel almost more sci-fi than fantasy, unlike the Rahi of 2001 which were mostly just giant, mechanical versions of real-world creatures (except the Tarakava, which was always a bit of an odd duck). The 2015 BIONICLE story, with creatures like the Skull Spiders and Lord of Skull Spiders, feels a bit closer to this 2001 fantasy spirit.

• Upvote 3

I prefer the idea of animal mounts for the Toa/villages. Of course, this being Bionicle, we can have Tahu riding a CCBS Muaka. Like an off-road motorbike that becomes a tiger from the waist up. The Rahi from 2001 were interesting because they were treaded animals, something that built on the "robots on a tropical island" feel of that year. That said, let me try and link the Masters with an appropriate 'beast-vehicle'.

Tahu - Muaka (tiger-motorbike)

Gali - Tarakava (eel/snake-jetski)

Lewa - Kahu (condor-jet)

Onua - Archives Mole (mole-excavator)

Pohatu - Kikanolo (Kangaroo-sled)

Kopaka - Great Tusker (Mammoth-Tank)

The Archives Mole might need a new name, and I imagine the 'Great Tusker' taking a few design cues from the Kane-ra bull, except with dual treads like the Skopio. G2's Kikanolo would most probably ditch the rhino resemblance to look more like the Sand Sailors from Avatar:TLA. The Tarakava could get away with no legs at all, this time.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

the best technology that ever existed on Okoto would probably have been lost when the Ancient City was abandoned. Some of it may well still be there.

Great, now i'm upset because we got Skull Grinder instead of a bike-riding-baddie called Skull Chopper. :v

*cough* ghostrider *cough*

You know if you stopped smoking that cough would clear right up... :P

Onua.png

I thought HF only had like 3 vehicles.

Hero Factory's number of vehicles easily measures up to the early years of BIONICLE. But before I get started, let's define a vehicle set. To be generous, I'll say a vehicle set is any set containing a means of conveyance that is not a rideable creature and is built from more than twelve pieces. Less than that, and we have to debate whether secondary weapon functions like jetpacks, skis, skates, and surfboards count as vehicles, in which case up to four BIONICLE 2015 sets might already count as vehicle sets.

According to this definition, 8697 Toa Ignika and 44014 Jet Rocka count as vehicle sets, but 8811 Toa Lhikan and Kikanalo and 7179 Dunkan Bulk and Vapour do not.

Let's start off without counting minifigure-scale sets. Hero Factory had two vehicle sets in 2010 (Furno Bike and Drop Ship), one in 2012 (Speeda Demon), and one in 2013 (Jet Rocka). That's four vehicles total. BIONICLE had two vehicle sets in 2002 (Exo-Toa and Boxor), one in 2003 (Takanuva), one in 2007 (Lesovikk), six in 2008 (Toa Ignika, Vultraz, Mazeka, Rockoh T3, Jetrax T6, and Axalara T9), and five in 2009 (Cendox V1, Kaxium V3, Baranus V7, Thornatus V9, and Skopio XV-1). Obviously there's a huge spike in 2008 and 2009. Needless to say, Hero Factory may not have had as many vehicles as BIONICLE, or even as many vehicles per year overall (BIONICLE had 1.5 per year, Hero Factory had .8 per year), but still, recognize this: Hero Factory had as many vehicle sets in just its first four years as BIONICLE had in its first seven.

What happens if we include vehicles from minifigure-scale sets, though? In that case, Hero Factory gets another eleven vehicle sets from the 2014 Invasion from Below series. The 2005–2007 BIONICLE playsets were considerably less clear about what is a vehicle and what is a Rahi, but if we break our rule about not including rideable creatures just for the playsets, then BIONICLE gets another vehicle set in 2005, three in 2006, and three in 2007. By that measure, Hero Factory actually had MORE more vehicle sets in its entire five-year run than BIONICLE had in its first seven years. Incidentally, this means that Hero Factory had more vehicle sets per year than BIONICLE (3 versus 2.2), though as is to be expected from a five-year theme, its total number of vehicles is still lower (15 versus 22).

• Upvote 2

i just realized half-vehicle half animal would blend into the tropical setting better, and honestly maybe we can avoid the bland organic-looking animals this way too.

like, idk, i'd wanna see some sorta huge chameleon/iguana/lizard/dragon tank thing with a blaster in its mouth or glowing eyes, now THAT would be impressive fauna. (also put me as a +1 for any sorta jet-bird, jet-birds are cool.)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

If and when Takanuva shows up (you all saw that grin on the reps faces when his name was mentioned at the NYCC panel :P) I do kind of hope he's got something to ride. Whether that be a Rahkshi Corpse Hover Bike Mk. 2 or some kind of mount. 

What if Okoto is just one of the alternate universes that Takanuva visited when trying to travel to Karda Nui? :OMG:

Edited by Forgeta

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

That almost sounds more Chima then Bionicle.

That was sort of my thinking as well. Granted, there's nothing totally wrong with that. Chima is ending this year, so there wouldn't be any worries about brand confusion, and I got some definite Tarakava vibes when building Laval's Fire Lion. But at the same time, I don't know if things like the 2001 Rahi with treads (or the 2007 Rahi/submarines) would really fit in with the inhabitants of Okoto so far. There are a lot of ways you could take the idea of "combination creatures and vehicles", so you'd have to be careful to ensure that the direction you choose fits in.

• Upvote 1

Thr inhabitants of Okoto might remember the animals that once lived there, as if they were chased off by the skull spiders. Say '16's plot is about the Rahi returning to the island and beginning to prey on the the villagers, as animals do, and then Makuta and his Mask of Control escalating things into a full-out Animal-Toa war, necessitating that the villagers tame neutral beasts and fight back to protect themselves, like the Ussalry and Kewa-based air force of G1.

• Upvote 2

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

How about a 'Boxor V2' piloted by an Earth villager who may not be officially named Nuparu but us older fans know he totally is Nuparu, and younger kids would think the V2 is just another jibberish number like 'Kaxium V3' or 'Ninja DBX', while we'd squeal in excitement totally getting it.

Interesting concept. Serving the older fans but keeping it new. Plus, it'd be piloted by NEWparu.

What about "Exo-Masters?"

• Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

How about a 'Boxor V2' piloted by an Earth villager who may not be officially named Nuparu but us older fans know he totally is Nuparu, and younger kids would think the V2 is just another jibberish number like 'Kaxium V3' or 'Ninja DBX', while we'd squeal in excitement totally getting it.

That would be cool, but they would have to have a reason to exist on the story. Maybe as villager defense against the Skull Spiders?