Do you think the new Bionicle line is selling well?

Rooster Nui

I would assume so. The day my local TRU got the Bionicle sets in the shelves had already been ravaged (not just because of Christmas) and I felt lucky to have picked up the full set of Toa. Most times I've been in stores that sell Lego since I've seen kids fondly regard the sets and buy them. There was even one time I saw a kid and their father walk up and look at them, and the father mentioned he didn't think they sold these anymore. Kind of cute in my opinion, it made me fairly happy.

I'm not too sure popularity wise, though, as all the people I know who like BIONICLE were fans of it from the original line. I'd imagine kids would like it though.

• Upvote 1

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I don't know. 

This is my answer as well. I've seen a lot of members of here (BZP) who've said they have gotten a lot or all of the new sets. But I know that only counts for a very small number of people who may or may not have gotten the sets. 

Personally, I like to think the line is doing well. I just have no way to support my belief. :P

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I'm going to assume yes as sales on amazon UK have been greatly inflated, then again though from what I've heard bionicle has always been more popular in Europe then the USA. 

I'd heard it's the other way round, though not from anyone important. A report from a few years ago did say North America spends the most on Lego products overall.

I'm going to assume yes as sales on amazon UK have been greatly inflated, then again though from what I've heard bionicle has always been more popular in Europe then the USA. 

I'd heard it's the other way round, though not from anyone important. A report from a few years ago did say North America spends the most on Lego products overall.

I remember I heard that on an "ask max" page which was (not sure if it's still around) a page on the lego club website where members would ask questions, when asked the question of which theme was the most popular they said it depended on region and said that in the U.S it was star wars and that in Europe it was a tie between city and bionicle, I believe this was said back in either 2010 or 2008.  

It's time to move on.

I wish there was some sort of data readily available to look at right now. It's impossible to know unless we see actual sales data or lego straight up tells us.

The only thing that I could find to help is the Euro-Stock data system on Brickset, which shows graphs for the amount of stock for currently available sets in Europe.

when I was living in the capital, I found that all the Toas save for a few Lewas and A whole lot of Pohatus were ravaged. Last I checked they only brought in more Galis and Lewas. They had a ton of protectors left. It was almost embarassing. 

Time is my frenemy. So is money.
May the classics never die and may the future find a new set of Toa.

BZPRPG Character

Just as an fyi, the LEGO team said during the ramp up to BIONICLE 2015 that BIONICLE's main audience and best market was the US.

• Upvote 4

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Just as an fyi, the LEGO team said during the ramp up to BIONICLE 2015 that BIONICLE's main audience and best market was the US.

Well the ask max page said otherwise, although maybe in the earlier years the U.S was the best and then Europe took over (possibly due to bio's decline). 

It's time to move on.

Well the ask max page said otherwise, although maybe in the earlier years the U.S was the best and then Europe took over (possibly due to bio's decline). 

I think "the Lego team" would've had in mind the entire run.

America being the best market would also explain why it got things, such as the McToran promo and the books, that the rest of the world didn't. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know anything about how things are selling, and really none of us can — any outsider evidence of sales at this point is going to be extremely anecdotal.

In terms of Internet search interest in BIONICLE, it's still nowhere close to Ninjago, but I wouldn't really expect otherwise. Ninjago's success is exceptional pretty much any way you slice it, and it wouldn't surprise me at all for it to eventually surpass BIONICLE G1 in lifetime sales, if it hasn't already. However, this February BIONICLE commanded the most search interest since January 2011, more than Hero Factory has had since December 2013 and far more than Hero Factory did two months into its lifespan — in fact, Hero Factory didn't command that much search interest until August 2011, when it had been available for a full year.

It would probably not be realistic to expect BIONICLE to command as much media interest today as it did in 2001. We often just think of BIONICLE as a quality toy with a quality storyline, but in 2001 it was a lot more than that — it was the first product line to really prove that there was a market for buildable action figures, not to mention the LEGO Group's first fully-fledged intellectual property (Fabuland notwithstanding). It was also an entirely new brand. And that got it a lot of media exposure. Although to us it might be amazing to have BIONICLE back after a four-year hiatus, the non-fans who report on LEGO for the media might never have realized it was gone (particularly since the fan community has remained active and visible throughout the hiatus). And the news media is too busy reporting on entirely new things, including experimental toys that might never be more than a temporary craze, to cover every reboot of a children's toy line.

Social media, on the other hand, has been buzzing quite a bit in the wake of the BIONICLE reboot. You won't believe how many tweets I've seen that basically consist of "whoa, I just saw a BIONICLE commercial for the first time in forever". BIONICLE was a big part of many people's childhoods, even people who never got into it the way most of us here on BZPower did. And except for the grumblings of a few disgruntled fans, most of the BIONICLE chatter on social media has been fairly positive — people not only share their fond memories of BIONICLE G1, but also throw praise on the G2 character designs and brag about defying the conventions of adulthood by purchasing the G2 sets. There's still nowhere near as much social media chatter as there is about Ninjago (in fact, there are so many Ninjago tweets each day that I usually can't even make checking them a part of my daily routine), but I think the amount of interest I've seen from both former fans and parents of new fans bodes well for the future.

• Upvote 5

Not really, what you paraphrased doesn't say BIONICLE was more popular in Europe, just that it was the second most popular theme in Europe. Even if Star Wars was the most popular theme in the US, and BIONICLE was behind that, it's still possible that BIONICLE sales out-paced and out-performed European sales. The US is TLG's second-biggest market (behind Germany), and the creative team this past summer made no secret that BIONICLE was always a more US-centric theme in sales and focus.

(As an aside, Hero Factory apparently performed best in Russia and the Ukraine, where it was immensely popular.)

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

I guess they're selling alright where I live. The Toys R' Us is giving out little Bionicle leaflets at checkout, so the promotion is A-Ok.

Edited by Anonymous User

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

So, it seems like some areas aren't doing bad, while others may be slightly bad or just okay. 

I guess it may take some time before interest really kicks in, like with what Aanchir mentioned about Hero Factory. I remember that experience, in which the end of 2011 was when the interest in Hero Factory grew, and 2012 and 2013 was where it really shined.

Not really, what you paraphrased doesn't say BIONICLE was more popular in Europe, just that it was the second most popular theme in Europe. Even if Star Wars was the most popular theme in the US, and BIONICLE was behind that, it's still possible that BIONICLE sales out-paced and out-performed European sales. The US is TLG's second-biggest market (behind Germany), and the creative team this past summer made no secret that BIONICLE was always a more US-centric theme in sales and focus.

(As an aside, Hero Factory apparently performed best in Russia and the Ukraine, where it was immensely popular.)

Never thought of it like that, thanks for clearing it up, and I find it quite interesting to know that lego is so popular in eastern Europe, I mean I know it's popular world wide but I'd have never guessed they got so much money from Russia. 

It's time to move on.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think it's going alright, but I'm not sure if the sales and interest are great enough that the line will gain the extra years that the original Bionicle line and Ninjago have.

Discuss below.

Well, of course its selling well.  Its back.  Everyone's rejoicing and being glad that its back.

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

Oh boy, I hope Bionicle is doing well. I want it to keep going strong. It was huge back in the day, it has the potential to be huge even now.

In terms of local sales, it was hard finding sets in the first 3 months of the year. Constantly sold at my local TRU. Even now, Tahu seems to be flying off the shelves. I cannot seem to find him anywhere any more. Hopefully that is a good indicator. 

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

I personally think it's going alright, but I'm not sure if the sales and interest are great enough that the line will gain the extra years that the original Bionicle line and Ninjago have.

Discuss below.

Well, of course its selling well.  Its back.  Everyone's rejoicing and being glad that its back.

As much as I like your optimism, it's worth keeping in mind that a large portion of the new theme's audience is going to be people experiencing the theme for the first time. For them, the fact that it's a classic theme's return is secondary to their personal opinions about what may well be the first Bionicle sets they've ever known.

That's not to say that kids don't like the theme or that it's not selling well... just that nostalgia alone isn't a good way to determine actual sales success.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I honestly don't know without a graph/chart or something. I have all of the new sets and a few extras that I bought and I gifted one to my girlfriend's littler bro who really likes his Lewa. I would imagine that it's doing well since he likes it and will probably tell all of his friends about it. I can't say I've seen shelves empty in any stores here since I live in a small college town, but a bunch of my fellow high school friends are aware that it's back, though I don't think they buy them like I do...

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

While I know what an individual store has in stock is absolutely one of the worst ways to interpret whether a toyline is doing well, I have noticed something that stands out. You see, I live by a small town that isn't very business friendly and thus only has a few businesses there that can some-what thrive, if only on the people currently living in the town. Now we all know that if sets don't sell well, a store isn't going to keep stocking them. There's a Wal-mart in this small town, and in 2009, it had COMPLETELY stopped selling BIONICLE sets of any kind due to declining profits. After this they NEVER ONCE stocked their shelves with any constraction sets. That is, until this year. This year they actually have BIONICLE sets on shelves, and they also seem to be doing a good job of restocking them (That's the place where I bought my Protectors). It seems to me that BIONICLE is in fact doing very well, and that kids are starting to get invested in the series. I also happened to show it to my girlfriend, and she's actually really into it now (she's not the nerdy collector type at all which is why I was extremely surprised). 

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ehhh, I have my doubts... At my local LEGO store, they're all kinda crammed into a corner near the front of the store. A little out of the way, and their display isn't as eye-catching as some of the other ones. But, y'know, they kind of have to ease into it, and there's only been one wave of sets so far. 

I do hope that more interest will be garnered, though! I want to see what TLG's gonna do with G2 Bionicle. :D

WHAT'S UP, BUTTERCUP???

Based on the Merlin Mann interview, if the new sets were selling bad, the online animations would've stopped completely, and it's pretty much a given that we're getting a batch for the summer wave too.

te0FrhT.jpg