Piraka Rap: What's your opinion on it?

Your Opinion on the Piraka Rap  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Confession time: Until today, I've never listened to the Piraka Rap before. That's right. I went nearly nine years without hearing that song. My reason for this is that I just never got around to listening to it.

But today, I decided to change that. I went onto Youtube and listened to the song for the first time. It...was not what I was expecting, to say the least.

As for why I chose now to do this, I've seen other people talk about this song before and post some rather interesting thoughts about it. This inspired me to want to make a poll and see what other members thought about this piece of Gen 1 Bionicle history. But if I was going to make it, might as well listen to it first, right? :P

So basically my question to you all is this; what is your opinion on the Piraka Rap? Did you love it? Hate it? Not sure what to think of it? I'm curious to see what other members think of this song. As for me, I personally didn't like it, but its not the worst song I've ever heard. Though I can't help but think that this is a song Vezon wrote about the other Piraka while he was bored in the Chamber of Life. :P

Now I turn this over to all of you. Vote away!

P.S. If there is anyone here that hasn't heard this song yet, here is a link to a video with the song so that you can listen to it too. 

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster
  • Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Didn't like it all that much, but I suppose it could have been worse. I was debating between "didn't like it, but it's not the worst song ever" and "hate it; burn it with fire," because the song is just really annoying to my ears...but I eventually decided with the former.

-Rez

• Upvote 1

I said "I don't know what to think about it", because, while I don't like it, and think it's completely out of context and genre for Bionicle, I am listening to it right now as I write this.

(Also, does this version have more bass?)

• Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Yo Yo me don't like rap no no. 

Worse songs exist, of course. Rap with raunchy lyrics is worse.

no disrespect but i think you've missed the point of hip hop culture

anyway, the piraka rap missed it even worse, and had tragically inept flow / beat, so as a hip hop song it's terrible and as a marketing tool it was better off in the trash can

-Tyler

• Upvote 2

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

anyway, the piraka rap missed it even worse, and had tragically inept flow / beat, so as a hip hop song it's terrible and as a marketing tool it was better off in the trash can

-Tyler

I'm up for some cultural enlightenment. As I've probably missed the point of said culture, what is the point? What say ye? *holds out microphone*

I agree that whatever point it does have (and I can think of more than a few points, but I'm not sure which one of these you were thinking of or something else entirely), the Piraka rap missed it by a country mile. I think it was supposed to be a parody, but the thing it was parodying was so... unlikable to me and so unfitting for a kid's toyline that I can't bring myself to like the song.

-Tyler

I'm up for some cultural enlightenment. As I've probably missed the point of said culture, what is the point? What say ye? *holds out microphone*

I agree that whatever point it does have (and I can think of more than a few points, but I'm not sure which one of these you were thinking of or something else entirely), the Piraka rap missed it by a country mile. I think it was supposed to be a parody, but the thing it was parodying was so... unlikable to me and so unfitting for a kid's toyline that I can't bring myself to like the song.

The point of hip hop is to bring light to the uglier and realistic parts of a culture that has been systematically designed to put down minorities and PoC that can't escape the effects of a society that is stacked against them. Rappers are artists and celebrities; they don't tend to do the things they've bragged repeatedly of doing, and they haven't for going on twenty years.

Are there misogynistic and homophobic elements rampant in hip hop? Yes. Of course. Which is why artists like Nicki Minaj, Beyonce, and Frank Ocean in R&B/hip hop are such important cultural figures; they're turning those elements on their heads. But the point of the lyrics you seem to have a problem with is to highlight and educate, not to glorify. There's plenty of thoughtful hip hop from artists you may not expect that hits on a lot of these issues.

-Tyler

• Upvote 3

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

I love Rap but I hate the Piraka Rap.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

My tastes in this area of music more lean toward trap and drill, but I still enjoy the occasional rap song nonetheless.

The thing about Piraka rap is, I don't quite know what it is. It's kind of like rap, but not. The instrumental is very iconic and recognizable, so I like that.  

The problem I have is with the lyrics, and one specific part of them. "Yo yo".  

NOBODY SAYS YO YO ANYMORE. NOBODY EVER SAID YO YO. EVER. 

Other than that, it's lovely to listen to. But not to watch, seeing the Piraka act "gangsta" while listening to it makes me take this song way less seriously. The Piraka, or at least in my opinion, are better off being seen as scheming villains (or brutes depending on which one we're talking about, (kudos to 2006 for finally giving canister villains personalities)) rather than "gangsters." 

• Upvote 1

bZpOwEr

I noticed that on this site, many people have a, uhm, general disapproval attitude towards rap (X% of teens have moved onto rap, if you are part of Y% that still listens to real (???) music, blah blah, and some other things).

Anyway, I think it's nice. A listenable song, not much else, but listenable

(X% of teens have moved onto rap, if you are part of Y% that still listens to real (???) music, blah blah, and some other things).

Ah! Those are remnants of the original forums, when one of the fads was to copy and paste drivel into your sig.

Those were the days when people had nice-looking sigs. Or at least ones that popped out to readers.

By "real" music they mean something that doesn't sound like yogurt being squeezed out of a plastic bag. Which is what I think of rap. But that's just my opinion.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

By "real" music they mean something that doesn't sound like yogurt being squeezed out of a plastic bag. Which is what I think of rap. But that's just my opinion.

okay but, like, where's this rap you've heard that apparently goes "pbbbphpblthpblth-thbhthbhtphb-pthblb" because i haven't heard that one yet. o:

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I don't see what the big deal is.  This is hardly the worst rap ever made.

Like it or not, rap still is a widely appreciated style of music.  In fact, I recently read a highly reputable study that found that 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

• Upvote 19

Not as good as the DK Rap.

"His coconut gun can fire in spurts, if he shoots ya, it's gonna hurt!"

Got that right!

Anyway, it's no "Creeping in my Soul" or "Caught in a Dream," but it's an interesting part of the BIONICLE legacy, and it's something so out of place you can't help but feel some fondness for it. It's something you can look back at and say "Well, wasn't that kind of funny?"

• Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

okay but, like, where's this rap you've heard that apparently goes "pbbbphpblthpblth-thbhthbhtphb-pthblb" because i haven't heard that one yet. o:

1) Go to the first post

2) Click the video

3) "pbbbphpblthpblth-thbhthbhtphb-pthblb"

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

1) Go to the first post

2) Click the video

3) "pbbbphpblthpblth-thbhthbhtphb-pthblb"

To be fair, using this song to describe rap as a genre is about as inane as using the One Piece Rap from 4kids to do the same.

• Upvote 3

I don't see what the big deal is.  This is hardly the worst rap ever made.

Like it or not, rap still is a widely appreciated style of music.  In fact, I recently read a highly reputable study that found that 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

I never cared for rap, but I don't want that massive thing in my sig lol :)

This topic has been a very disappointing read.

Piraka rap was an extremely discouraging and blatantly commercial attempt to latch onto a culture it had no business being a part of.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 4

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert