The difference between OLD and NEW Bionicle

Gipsy Danger

I wouldn't call them guidelines... More like options.

I call them guidelines because they are meant to guide people — namely, parents and gift-givers who might not know the first thing about LEGO building, let alone BIONICLE. An actual LEGO fan of any age usually has at least some idea what kind of building interests them and what kind of building they're capable of. But it's very easy for a well-meaning gift-giver to either overestimate or underestimate what kinds of things a kid is interested in or capable of.

For instance, if you were nine and were already building Technic sets on your own, you probably wouldn't want your aunt or uncle to buy you a Juniors set. So those sets are marked with a recommendation for ages 4–7. Likewise, if you were just five years old and hadn't ever built a Technic set before, you might get easily frustrated with building the Mobile Crane MK II, or at least need an adult's help (even as an adult, I made some mistakes building that set that required me to undo pages and pages of what I had built previously). So that set is recommended for a much higher age range.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

The only comment I can give on age is that my brother messed up a Bohrok build when he was 6. He had an easier time with the Makuta and the Rahkshi. The Bohrok seem to be an exception to the complexity increase rule, however, due to their Technic structure - the Rahkshi were so much simpler. 

I think Aanchir's post about later fans might be valid, since I got in 2005 and kinda feel in the middle-ish. Though my tastes are so left-field that it's probably no good for analysis.

A better marker is that kids who got into Lego with Hero Factory in 2011-12-13 are probably going to eat up these sets. My fascination with CCBS made the conversion a blissful slide. Plus the technic gearboxes are an "age up" from the HF simplicity - a thought that the CCBS may be aging with its fans, if only a little. 

Can we agree that Bionicle 2015 is better than Hero Factory?

• Upvote 2

The only comment I can give on age is that my brother messed up a Bohrok build when he was 6. He had an easier time with the Makuta and the Rahkshi. The Bohrok seem to be an exception to the complexity increase rule, however, due to their Technic structure - the Rahkshi were so much simpler. 

I think Aanchir's post about later fans might be valid, since I got in 2005 and kinda feel in the middle-ish. Though my tastes are so left-field that it's probably no good for analysis.

A better marker is that kids who got into Lego with Hero Factory in 2011-12-13 are probably going to eat up these sets. My fascination with CCBS made the conversion a blissful slide. Plus the technic gearboxes are an "age up" from the HF simplicity - a thought that the CCBS may be aging with its fans, if only a little. 

Nope, at least not story wise. Set wise, it's better than the Heroes of 2010 - 2011, and the villains of 2014.

Set-wise, I think so, from my limited HF experience. Story-wise (Actually binged the HF story at some point for some reason), we'll have to see. This is what, month 5?

If it's alright, I'd like to take a minute to go back to a previous line of discussion.

any bio is better than the blank slates that are the protectors, even the villagers are just clones, no diversity, what so ever.

I don't think that's true. The best example I've got to pull out of my bag of tricks (bag of holding, maybe?) is a Dungeons & Dragons thing. Let's say the players are going through a crowded street. As the Dungeon Master, you'd have dozens of minor NPCs around, with nearly no details to them. You'll only want to introduce details about those NPCs as they become important, usually through players doing their usual thing and talking to every NPC you never plan on them needing to talk to. It's not important to name a character or give them many other details until, for whatever reason, those details become important. Who an innkeep is doesn't become important unless the players constantly visit that inn and strike up conversations with him/her. This is beneficial because you can pull any NPC from that crowd and make them exactly who you need to be.

To try my best and pull this back to something a bit more relevant, in MNOGII, they kind of did have to include the bare minimum for all of those characters who never showed up again. The game would have felt much more empty without those characters just being there and doing their thing. Sometimes, a name, a face, an occupation, and a line or two of dialogue is all you need.

tl;dr: While sometimes you'll have to include the bare minimum of detail for otherwise unimportant characters, blank slates deserve a bit of credit themselves. You can mold them into what you need from almost nothing, which gives you some flexibility.

• Upvote 5

Nope, at least not story wise. Set wise, it's better than the Heroes of 2010 - 2011, and the villains of 2014.

...HF's "story" containing at least two references to infanticide as a course of action, several character inconsistencies, and generally shoddy all-around results is better than Bionicle 2015's decent, if a little sparse, story?

• Upvote 2

...HF's "story" containing at least two references to infanticide as a course of action, several character inconsistencies, and generally shoddy all-around results is better than Bionicle 2015's decent, if a little sparse, story?

The only inconsistency was Evo's. The Fire Villains weren't able to be cured, so that's why they were in prison.

And had LEGO used their brains, they could've gotten somewhere with the whole "Brain Attack and Breakout are connected" thing.

I'd like to think that Bionicle G2's Story: Neutral, Sets: FANTASMICALLY OUTSTANDING is better than HF's Story: WHY??? and Sets: Meh. 

Old Bio's story > HF's story > New Bio's story. 

HF's villain sets > New Bio's villain sets > Old Bio's villain sets

New Bio's hero sets > HF's hero sets (2012 and 2014) > Old Bio's hero sets > HF's hero sets (2010 - 2011) 

• Upvote 1

Let's all judge six months of G2 by 10 years of constantly evolving G1. Never mind that the Mata and Glatorian are the very least as different as the Glatorian and the Masters. G1 had 10 years to make a story that people could love, but we have people now judging G2 unnecessarily negatively because it has the sheer gall not to be more G1.

I'm sorry, Makaru, for continuing the off-topic discussion. I'll take my suspension.

Edited by Regitnui
  • Upvote 3

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Judging from the sets I snatched up lately to pilfer for parts, I have to agree completely. The only figure I actually really liked was the core hunter (or is that his proper name?). Although there was a lot of improvement evident over the course of the line.

Storywise I can't judge, don't know, don't care. I really am more about the plastic.

• Upvote 1

No offence, but you could've started up a flame war with that post. And yes I understand what he means. Its YOU who doesn't understand. DecepticonWarrior does not make up facts. I DON'T care? I DO CARE! I do have interest in the truth, sometimes I won't show it. But I'm showing it now. This is on your end, not mine. Period.

Again, I'm really sorry you feel that way. But saying that DW doesn't lie doesn't make it true.

Just look at the other posts on this page. DW made a bold assertion, that "...bionicle was a subset of technic, back when technic was actually complex adult-level sets." He didn't include a single example of a set or sets that backed up that statement. Numerous members pointed out that the facts contradicted that assertion, and they DID cite sources to back up their claims. Yet both you and DW ignored every single one of those valid points, because you both prefer DW's made-up narrative of the "good old days" to actual reality.

There's a term for the phenomenon where a person ignores facts that contradict their preferred worldview: cognitive dissonance. And it has a tendency to have a negative effect on reasoned discussion, because it's incredibly hard for a debate or discussion to be productive when the two sides are operating based on mutually exclusive perceptions of reality. I don't want to start any sort of flame war; I just want you to recognize that ignoring the facts as well as any opinion that challenges your own is no way to go through life.

you and DW ignored every single one

No we don't

I just want you to recognize that ignoring the facts as well as any opinion that challenges your own is no way to go through life

I'm 13. I'm not old enough to know that stuff yet. I am starting an ignore list as DecepticonWarrior said. This HAS gone too far.

Are you copy-pasting arguments from other users, or are you just using phrases because they sound good, because your argument has devolved into 'No, your *insert point here*"

You said you are 13, correct? That means the sets you defend so fervently were already past their heyday by the time you could own one. Just going by the math, you were wearing nappies when the Bohrok-Kal were attacking. Metru Nui went by while you were learning how to walk and talk. Voya and Mahri Nui breezed past while Duplo was your recommended play material. G1 ended when you were 7. At 7, you probably had (say) Kiina or Tarduk and were very excited about this new toyline you'd found that promised so much awesome robot fun!

And it ended before you could really begin. :'(

Now, at the ripe old age of 13, you see that name. The metaphorical 'one that got away'. You held your few G1 sets close, and waited with bated breath... And then saw this. The CCBS Toa. They weren't, aren't like those heroes you barely got to know. How dare the company that owns the toys betray you like that. Years spent listening to how the previous generation of children (me, for example) had grown up with Tahu and Kopaka butting heads, how Macku and Hewkii flirted despite being from opposed environments. How the Great Spirit had battled his evil brother in the giant robot fight to end all giant robot fights, and they reboot it instead of letting you pick up where we left off.

Except, you're 13. I was 10 when my parents bought me Kopaka, Lewa and Gali, and I spent years playing with them. I built Warihua so many times I could probably do it by memory. G1 was so much fun to grow up with. But, it's gone. Now, you and your generation have your own Tahu, Gali and the rest. I'm jealous as Karzahni that you got these sets that, despite their flaws, feel like everything G1 had tried to do distilled into something very near perfection. And these are your Toa. Your Pohatu is a boomerang-riding Aussie. Your Tahu has his own surfboard included!!

This is your chance to go on a Bionicle Journey, with your own, new, better heroes. In 15 years' time, you'll be sitting where i am, and my kids will be the ones with a New Bionicle. Will they reminisce about something they can barely remember? Will they be here, talking to you about how CCBS made the sets look so sleek and elegant, and their new sets are so much worse?

And what will you say to them? Will you agree, and forever entrench in their minds that Lego from their lifetime sucks? Or will you do as the older generation here are trying to to do, and pass the flame of love and affection we had for Bionicle on to you?

Here's your choice, Gipsy Danger, and the choice faced by your generation. Reject the fact that TLG brought Bionicle back because it doesn't look like something you can hardly remember right, or embrace it as your Bionicle, one that you can journey with in your own way. Generation 2 is generation 2 not because it's supposed to be my Bionicle again. It's supposed to be your Bionicle. Yours.

And now, having skipped past all of that and now penning an angry reply for me disagreeing, stop. Think. Ask why your generation was given a new story, more complex sets, frankly better treatment than my generation had of TLG didn't want you to love these as I loved my first Kopaka. It went missing once. I, a ten-year-old boy, tore around the house frantically, crying like I'd had my pillow taken before I'm about to go to bed.

Here's the tl;dr. This isn't G1, stop judging it like it is supposed to be. It's G2. And it has hardly started. Go, buy a Kopaka and hold that like 10-year-old me clung to that barely-mobile plastic toy and watch. You're more than likely going to get something amazing.

Are you copy-pasting arguments from other users, or are you just using phrases because they sound good, because your argument has devolved into 'No, your *insert point here*"

Yes because that is where I'm REPLYING TOO!!!  And its not supposed to "look good" You know, quit being so rude and move aLONG.  My first Bionicle was TAHU NUVA(The first ones).

Here's your choice, Gipsy Danger, and the choice faced by your generation. Reject the fact that TLG brought Bionicle back because it doesn't look like something you can hardly remember right, or embrace it as your Bionicle, one that you can journey with in your own way. Generation 2 is generation 2 not because it's supposed to be my Bionicle again. It's supposed to be your Bionicle. Yours.

I don't have a choice because I stick with the g1s.

You said you are 13, correct? That means the sets you defend so fervently were already past their heyday by the time you could own one. Just going by the math, you were wearing nappies when the Bohrok-Kal were attacking. Metru Nui went by while you were learning how to walk and talk. Voya and Mahri Nui breezed past while Duplo was your recommended play material. G1 ended when you were 7. At 7, you probably had (say) Kiina or Tarduk and were very excited about this new toyline you'd found that promised so much awesome robot fun!

EXCUSE ME?!  I leaned to walk at 2 yrs old and I wasn't wearing "nappies".  I got Bionicles when I was 3.  THREE!!!  I got the Toa Inika and Piraka when I was 4.  When Bionicle ended, I moved on to NINJAGO.  But Bionicle g1s NEVER EVER left.  I still get them on sites that sell them by other sellers.  

And it ended before you could really begin. :'(

For you, maybe.  But NOT for me.

For some reason I have a hard time believing you got into Bionicle at the age of three. Mainly because every toddler I know would have trouble pronouncing the names "Tahu" and "Karzahni", and also because I doubt a three year old could understand the plot of Bionicle.

And nappies are another word for diapers. All two year olds wear them.

Mainly because every toddler I know would have trouble pronouncing the names "Tahu" and "Karzahni", and also because I doubt a three year old could understand the plot of Bionicle.

I pronounced the names fine when I  was little.  AND I understood the plot for Bionicle

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 1

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

In your mind, maybe.

And don't give me that "Well lego says..."

Who cares what lego says!? If GD liked G1 when he was little, so what? It's not like he broke some sacred code.

Nobody is saying that it's not okay for kids to like Bionicle.

The point everybody is trying to make is that Bionicle, like all themes, is designed to appeal to a certain age range. And like all other themes, there will be people who are both younger or older than that age range who enjoy the theme. That does not mean that the idea of a "target demographic" is false or irrelevant; it just means that there are outliers just like there are for pretty much any sort of statistics.

In any case, this all started with the assertion that the target demographics for G1 and G2 were significantly different. They're not. If anything, Lego has simply gotten better at targeting the specific demographic they've been aiming at all along.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 10

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

So which parts do you think is better? ccbs or bbs?

You asked, we told.

Oh, my bad. That was on my end.

Personally, I prefer CCBS over the BIONICLE Build System. Parts from BBS were often one trick ponies, being used only in certain ways. The overly-detailed parts also alienated them from the rest of LEGO, not to mention the thin plastic caused them to break. CCBS has very sleek, simply designed shells and bones, similar to LEGO System bricks. The fact that they all use the same connection points allows for the ability to mix and match parts more comfortably and easily, allowing more potential. Also, the inclusion of the gearbox in the new Master sets, it being a Mata or Metru torso boiled down to it's most basic elements, allows for more potential and possibilities of use.

But that "overly detailed" stuff makes the OLD Bio different that the rest.

But BIONICLE shouldn't have to be different from the rest. Yes, it is clearly not classic System, but the fact that the majority of many of the parts made for BIONICLE could only be used in BIONICLE betrays one of the core ideas of every LEGO sets: interchangeability. Because they looked like no other TECHNIC, or even LEGO, line, they could not be used for anything but BIONICLE. However, once in a blue moon, a good, generic part was made (the Bohrok eye, or the Hordika neck) which could be used interchangeably between themes, giving them more of a longevity. So, when BIONICLE ended, it shouldn't be that big of a surprise that those parts are pretty much the only BIONICLE parts still produced. So yes, although BIONICLE is different than other LEGO lines, it is still primarily LEGO, and shouldn't be treated differently than the rest.

(Also, intricate detailing in a small space can lead to thin plastic, causing eventual breaking in small, isolated areas, like the sides of the "jaw" on the '01 Miru.)

Old Bionicle is basically techinc in a sense since they made it.

What do you mean, "they" made it? Both systems are Technic-based and the parts for both were designed predominantly by Lego designers who specialize in Technic parts. The only difference is that CCBS sets don't include the Technic branding—but neither did the vast majority of Bionicle sets.

Both? No, you understand HALF of it. OLD Bio had DETAIL, ccbs parts don't have any detail. ccbs have 50% "Technic-based" for the system because they don't have any detail.

I loved the overly detailed look.

So do I.

No, I think it's you who doesn't understand. The high detail of Bionicle was barely an aspect of Technic. Technic was, and still is, mostly defined by low-detail axles, connectors, beams, and functional elements. Things like fake pistons and joints were not an aspect of Technic at all.

In fact, modern Technic parts are much like the CCBS, with large, smooth panels and mechanical details limited largely to parts that are actually functional.

Fake pistons and joints were actually an aspect of Technic.  Bionicle was a product of technic originally, and the product before it was the Slizer series.  Both the Slizer and Bionicle products were apart of technic and because of that they were designed to look like robots so that is why you see all the fake piston's, mechanical parts and the functioning gearboxes in a part of G1.

But my point is that those were not integral parts of Technic. In fact, for the most part, those features WERE limited to themes like Bionicle, Slizers, and Roboriders. The fact that CCBS themes feature fewer of those details doesn't make them any less "Technic", because Technic itself rarely features those sorts of details either.

And of course, there's the fact that figures don't have to be covered in exposed pistons to look robotic. In fact, many actual robots opt for smooth, clean, and non-threatening shapes, like the armor shells of the CCBS.

Or like Baymax... :P

Sorry, just had to. :P

• Upvote 2

"All magic comes with a price, dearie!" -The Dark One

I'm known on the LMB's as Brickobotface, Teh Dark One is merely a fad. :P

And don't give me that "Well lego says..."

Who cares what lego says!?

People who purchase Lego products and whatnot usually do. o:

Who cares about what Microsoft says about Windows 10, or what Blizzard Entertainment says about WoW, or what Brandon Sanderson about his Cosmere, or Keith Baker about Eberron, or Jim Butcher about the Dresden Files...

I could go on. You should get the idea, though. TLG's word is the only word that really matters, since they are the owner, creator, distributor of Bionicle and anything that wears the Bionicle name. When they say X, it's a pretty solid supposition that X is true. Like Greg for G1.

• Upvote 3

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Like Greg for G1.

Thaaaaaaaaaaat's debatable...

Yeah, with the amount of second- and third-guessing going on in S&T. The other examples are still true, though

• Upvote 2

My only "grife" with CCBS is that it's less fun to draw.

So true. I became (IMO) pretty good at drawing just from learning how to draw the highly detailed pieces in a 3D form. Nowadays I take the the same concept and customize it to give it a realistic appearance, but it all started with the memorization of those pieces.

The CCBS is great for building, but not for drawing: but that's not why Lego exists now, does it?

And the word you were looking for is 'gripe'. ;)

• Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Like Greg for G1.

Thaaaaaaaaaaat's debatable...

Yeah, with the amount of second- and third-guessing going on in S&T. The other examples are still true, though

I never cared what Greg said.

So you didn't like/care for the story? Because he was one of the head writers, and wrote almost all the books (except for the first few, which were by Cathy Hapka).

• Upvote 3

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

I think he means the Greg comment canons, or whatever we're calling them. Even if he doesn't like Greg, he can't argue with TLG on their property. It's not like anything belongs to you just because you like it. It belongs to you because you created it or paid money for it to be created. I love Dresden Files, but the world doesn't belong to me, even though I own all of the currently-published books. Same with currently-published and the sets. Nobody here, even collectively, has any right to claim they have more right to bionicle than TLG.

• Upvote 3

I think he means the Greg comment canons, or whatever we're calling them. Even if he doesn't like Greg, he can't argue with TLG on their property. It's not like anything belongs to you just because you like it. It belongs to you because you created it or paid money for it to be created. I love Dresden Files, but the world doesn't belong to me, even though I own all of the currently-published books. Same with currently-published and the sets. Nobody here, even collectively, has any right to claim they have more right to bionicle than TLG.

In reply to your comment, it was bound to happen as the child-based fan base grew up so a lot of the self-entitled Bionicle fans do make such a claim. After all, Bionicle has been around for 15 years and most of the fans are way over 15, so... yeah.

Moving on, the whole concept that former G1 fans are the 'Turaga' of G2 and, as such, should help to usher in the glory of Bionicle and its new fan base is totally erroneous. I highy doubt that we will see very much difference in the membership of BZPower, as many people are waiting for the day when the log in and see 1000+ people online. Those days are dead. Those kids have either grown up or entirely forgotten about BZPower. Just look at the other Lego franchises. The average fan for those are at the ages of 4-12 (most of them being at the 4-8 mark) and have they registered an account on BZPower? No! They watch Ninjago on Cartoon Network and buy the toys, because that is what they are at the end; toys.

And Lego has all the money in the world to show for it so don't tell me that it's not true

Lego sees in dollar signs, and whether you like it or not, the BZPower members are an absolute, total minority of the total profit of Lego. Do you think that the forum posts of a 100+ attending membership in any way sways Lego? 

Gipsy, yes, in the pre 2003 years, bionicle was a subset of technic, back when technic was actually complex adult-level sets.

When did TECHNIC stop being complex adult-level sets?

How exactly is it adult-level? I built Technic sets with ease when I was younger, it is practically impossible to mess up so long as you stick to the instructions.

It's ironic that Bionicle coming back has been the biggest thing to divide the Bionicle community in a while.

Edited by Barad-dur
  • Upvote 3

EXCUSE ME?!  I leaned to walk at 2 yrs old and I wasn't wearing "nappies".  I got Bionicles when I was 3.  THREE!!!  I got the Toa Inika and Piraka when I was 4.  When Bionicle ended, I moved on to NINJAGO.  But Bionicle g1s NEVER EVER left.  I still get them on sites that sell them by other sellers.

Okay, I was confused about you thinking BIONICLE was aimed at teens earlier, but now, knowing how early you got into it, it makes a lot more sense to me. After all, it was aimed at an older audience than you for at least four years, so it's easy to see how you could keep thinking it was aimed at an older audience for you for the three years after you became a part of the theme's core audience.

But this should also be a strong indication that BIONICLE was always aimed at a younger audience than traditional Technic. By your own admission, the G1 sets were simple enough for a particularly advanced three-year-old to enjoy. I know kids aren't stupid (and LEGO knows it too), but there were lots of kids my age at my seventh birthday party who struggled to put the Throwbots sets together according to the instructions. That is why LEGO's recommended age range is so important — to give parents and gift-givers a general idea of what kids will be old enough (or young enough) to fully appreciate. It is not intended to suggest that older or younger kids CAN'T enjoy a set, just to guide them towards sets that a particular kid is most likely to enjoy.

The CCBS, for what it's worth, is designed to be enjoyed by kids as young as five, but all CCBS sets to date have had a minimum recommended age of six or higher. It's the same way LEGO System bricks are for ages four and up, but all LEGO City sets are recommended for ages five and higher: the complexity of the individual sets has as much influence on what age they're best for as the complexity of the building system as a whole. A four-year-old kid has probably mastered stacking, but other types of building might still be a challenge. A five-year-old kid has probably mastered the basics of sideways building as well as clipping parts together, but might not be ready for the complexities of Technic building, where the order in which you put parts together can have a huge impact on whether they work or not.

Recommended age ranges are guidelines, not hard and fast rules, but that's not to say they don't have any meaning at all. And obviously, LEGO is always learning what kids might or might not be capable of. Over the years, LEGO has learned that even younger kids are often looking for a challenge in their sets. That's a big part of why the Protector of Fire has a lower recommended age range than Nuhrii despite having two and a half times as many pieces and a much more complex build. Back in 2004, LEGO had doubts that a typical six-year-old would enjoy a set of that complexity, or that a 15-year-old would prefer a more complex Technic set. But today LEGO knows that kids enjoy a challenge far more than they'd given them credit for back then, and so the recommended age ranges have been adjusted to reflect that new knowledge.

Age ranges are suggestions.  But Bio '15, yes it is because I heard from some other users who said that in one of the webisodes, Kopaka slid and said "WEEEE".  Yeah, its for little kids.  You should check out

www.biomediaproject.com.

videos and ONE of them discribed the parts that were cut out because it was way too violent.

Edited by Gipsy Danger

Whoever told you he went "WEEEE" is either horribly mistaken or lying.  There was a brief scene where Kopaka lost his balance on some ice, and after he recovered he said, "I didn't slip," because of his pride.

Compare that to Matau constantly crashing into things in LoMN.  Or really anything to do with the Le-Matoran.

(I also don't know how you can argue about the quality of the new shorts if you're going solely on "well someone said…")

Also, cutting things out for being too violent does not mean they were trying to shift focus to older audiences, it means they were toning it down for a younger audience.

• Upvote 4

OpAXNpl.jpg

Again, even with the assumption that the new webisodes are less "mature" than the classic story media (which is itself debatable), that doesn't mean the classic Bionicle was aimed at a more mature audience. All it means is that the classic theme did not do a good job of targeting the 7-12 year-old kids the theme was meant for. The dissonance the classic theme often exhibited between older fans of the story (who often ignored the sets) and fans of the sets (who often ignored the story) was a major problem, and one that the more minimal story and more involved sets of the new theme seem aimed at correcting.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

phht, what target audience? I can assure you kids probably loved the way the piraka constantly threatened to snap necks, break limbs, or rip the spines out of every single person they met, and the way the barakki did that too! and the makuta! gosh, such fun and varied and mature characters. :U

• Upvote 3

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

phht, what target audience? I can assure you kids probably loved the way the piraka constantly threatened to snap necks, break limbs, or rip the spines out of every single person they met, and the way the barakki did that too! and the makuta! gosh, such fun and varied and mature characters. :U

I liked that stuff with the snapping necks and such :D.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, sure, classic Bionicle was horrible with all these characters dying, characters locked in comas, characters subjected to fates worse than death.

And G2 Bionicle has two characters locked in comas, with the enemies a whole bunch of undead zombies that, you know, got killed. That's just the backstory. At least G1 changed the zombies so they looked like Bohrok. :P

Pretty sure that G2 is headed for the uncanny valley. I'd be surprised if Ekimu makes it through all three years.

• Upvote 1

Lalondes always going off about violence, just ignore her.

At what point did you think this was an acceptable thing to post? Do not disrespect fellow members again.

~Makaru.

Edited by Makaru
flaming

Not me, I didn't like how dark and edgy the story had gotten with the Piraka so I ignored the story until it ended.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Lalondes always going off about violence, just ignore her.

At what point did you think this was an acceptable thing to post? Do not disrespect fellow members again.

~Makaru.

Oh yes o mighty overlord! I am not worth of you kindness!

Edited by Decepticonwarrior

Dude, respect our fellow members and especially respect our mods and admins. This is supposed to be a friendly community.

Back on topic, I an tell you that at 6 years old, when the Piraka first came out, I loved them. However, most of the brutal violence stuff flew right over my head. Just like Aanchir said a little while earlier, just because Gen1 seemed darker, doesn't mean it was meant for a mature audience. It just meant that they did a mediocre job of making it appeal to the target audience.

Now, as for the 2015 Skull villains? They're evil, undead, and look the part. When I first showed my little cousin, who is 6, the pictures from NY Toy Fair, he basically flipped out. Zombies are in right now, and these are a perfect example of them that aren't totally over-the-top gory.

• Upvote 4

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg