Favorite/Least Favorite Years of Bionicle?

My least favorite year was 2010, mostly because that was the year it ended, very few sets, & the Bionicle Stars were the sets.

However, my favorite year was probably 2008 & 2007 as a close second. Mostly because I got interested in Bionicle during mid-late 2006.

• Upvote 1

Onua.png

My favorite years were 2001 - 2004 along with 2015. 2002 is probably my favorite year overall, though.

My least favorite year was 2006. That was the year I lost interest in the original line because the story and sets took some weird turns. It didn't feel like Bionicle anymore at the time.

Edited by Mehku
  • Upvote 2

A lot of people dislike 2006, for reasons I don't fully understand. It FINALLY brought the story back on track after two years of flashbacks. That's not to say 2004 and 2005 weren't good, but we all knew the ultimate ending: the Matoran and Turaga end up on Mata Nui. Sort of like when going to see Star Wars Episode I for the first time, you're like "Oh, that kid's going to grow up to be Darth Vader and kill all the Jedi and take over the galaxy."

I sort of feel like the weakest years were probably 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2009 in the sense that they were heavily dependent on the movies. But 2005 is the year that I got back into BIONICLE (I stopped following it sometime after Mask of Light was released). In late 2008, I was sure I was going to hate 2009, and even posted it. I said something like "I have a feeling I'm going to HATE 2009." And what happened? Greg Farshtey himself PMed me and asked why I felt that way. I felt both honored and stupid.

Now I feel differently about 2009. Both story and sets were fairly interesting, and the fact that Greg, AKA someone actually in tune with the story, wrote for the movie helped the canonicity factor.

In short, I don't really have a favorite or least favorite, and I see good and bad points for each year. But, if I had to pick a least favorite, I'd have to say 2015, simply because I haven't been following it yet. I'm trying to wrap up the Generation 1 story before I start Generation 2. On the other hand, I loved 2001 because of the "collect the masks" concept, the overall mysteriousness of everything, and the Mata Nui Online Game.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 2

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Best year. Hmmmmm... It's Basically 2001, 2002 and 2004. I loved their stories and sets. Bionicle started things of with a bang, the bohrok story had the animations and it was amazing to see how the matoran had to dight against a threat like the Bohrok and I like the 2004 prequel story and the sets.

My least favourite year was 2009. I wasn't used to the story at all and some of the characters. The sets were ok though but kept on snapping so easily. I did not like the whole year in general and I got to thank 2012 for that

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

For me my favorite year was 2007 story and set wise, lease favorite was without a doubt 2005. I think it's unfair to say 2010 because it ended really early on that year.

Edited by Xarok

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

For my favorite years set and story wise were 2001-2003, 2004, 2008, 2009, and 2010. 

my least favorite years are 2005, 2006, and 2007.

As much as I liked 2006 for what it gave to the series and it being the year that I got into the line, it just didn't have that same feeling that my favorite years had. Same goes for 2007. Sure these years were about saving the universe from DYING, but it didn't have that feeling of pure adventure and closeness to nature as the other years did (to me at least). 2005 came out of nowhere, and had too many off moments (*cough* Vakama *cough*). 

Finally, 2010 was not the year for greatest story or sets, but I liked the return of Tahu and Takanuva. I also have a personal connection with this year, which I'm not going to go into detail about.

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

2001, 2004, and 2008 are my favourite years. I think all three had a strong story, memorable characters, and interesting sets. 2001 probably takes the top place simply for nostalgic value, though.

2005 and 2006 are my least favourite years. 2005 returned us to an interesting Metru Nui, but the characters felt like they were retreading a lot of the development they had experienced over 2004, and the sets were ugly. 2006 would have been pretty good had it not been for the hip-hop and grunge themes, which felt distinctly un-BIONICLE.

• Upvote 1

Based on story:

Favourite: 2004, because of the story and the characters of the Toa Metru. The story was unique when compared to the other years, as the Toa were actually not the stereotypical heroes you would expect, and there was a lot of mystery surrounding their quest too.

Least favourite: 2009, do I even need to explain this? Bad story with an even worse and poorly thought location. It might have worked out well together with the originally planned Bara Magna years after 2009, but as a standalone it's quite horrid and out of place.

Based on sets:

Faovurite: 2002, because the Bohrok design was quite ingenious and the titans had complex and imaginative builds.

Least favourite: 2010... you know what I mean

Edited by Toatapio Nuva
  • Upvote 1

Sets:

Favorite: 2004. The Toa Metru were pretty awesome.

Least favorite: 2008. While I do not have any of the sets from this year, I already know that this was when the sockets were changed. The broken sockets were maddening in 2006 and made worse in 2007 with lime green. 2008 was like: "let's make all the sockets like the lime green ones!"

Story:

Favorite: 2004. I got invested in the story in 2004. It has its charm to me and many others, so I don't think it needs any further explanation.

Least favorite: 2005. The story, at least the way I experienced it back in that year felt sporadic, like they really didn't know what to do with it. I followed the comics and (loosely) the website. Here's what I got back then:

1. Find the cure for the Hordika venom.
  2. Plot holes.
  3. Find the Mask of Light(?).
  4. More plot holes.
  5. Find Keetongu.
  6. Unnecessary side changes for Vakama.
  7. Random side stories from Norik.
  • Upvote 1

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif