LEGO Unveils 10247 Ferris Wheel

10247_Ferris_Wheel_Reveal_teaser.jpg

BrickFair New England is going on right now, but LEGO isn't present to reveal this new set. Instead, at the Time to Play event in New York (which I can't find any information about) they are revealing 10247 Ferris Wheel, the latest in the line of Creator Expert sets. This compliments last year's Fairground Mixer very well and is a great addition to the series. Read on to check out the designer video, see the pictures, and read the full press release!

View the full article

I don't think I've seen a Ferris Wheel Lego set before. This looks really well built and it has a lot of cool pieces on it too.

Though if I were to get it, I would wait for it to go on sale. That price tag on it is a little too high for my liking. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I don't think I've seen a Ferris Wheel Lego set before. This looks really well built and it has a lot of cool pieces on it too.

Though if I were to get it, I would wait for it to go on sale. That price tag on it is a little too high for my liking. :P

There was previously one in 2007, the early days of Lego Creator. As is to be expected, the new one puts the old one to shame. I may just have to get this one, though if I do I'll probably wait for double VIP points or a similar promotion.

Fun fact for Bionicle fans! If you look at where the center axle of the Ferris Wheel joins with the trusses supporting the entire structure, you can see a familiar piece: the launcher from this year's Protector sets! Here it's not used as a launcher, but rather just as a bearing to support and strengthen the axle while still allowing it to turn freely.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Ugh...This set is in the same boat as the Quick-E Mart for me: doesn't offer enough to justify the price tag. Sure it's large and really decorative, but I dunno. It's lacking that 'unf' factor.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Fun fact for Bionicle fans! If you look at where the center axle of the Ferris Wheel joins with the trusses supporting the entire structure, you can see a familiar piece: the launcher from this year's Protector sets! Here it's not used as a launcher, but rather just as a bearing to support and strengthen the axle while still allowing it to turn freely.

Interesting that the stud holders look like they're connected to the hub pieces.  I wouldn't have thought that a piece made to discharge connected studs would be used to hold onto them instead, but the shooter does seem to have a very strong grip when connected across multiple studs.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Interesting that the stud holders look like they're connected to the hub pieces.  I wouldn't have thought that a piece made to discharge connected studs would be used to hold onto them instead, but the shooter does seem to have a very strong grip when connected across multiple studs.

It looks like it's connected that way. But, in fact, it isn't. If it were, the launcher would no longer function as a bearing due to the center axle hole of the hub pieces being in a fixed position relative to its studs.

I haven't quite figured out what parts are used to keep the hubs from connecting to the stud shooters—the space between the hub and the launcher is a somewhat unfriendly 3/5 of a module. I think a part like 2723 might work to get close to the proper spacing, but none of the pictures show that part of the model clearly enough for me to be sure.

Edited by Lyichir

Good point, for some reason it didn't fully occur to me how the shooter attached the wheel to the legs, even though that's plainly obvious from the images.  A quick search for higher-res images shows that you're probably right about the disk piece.

I don't see any yellow peeking around the TECHNIC brick it's connected to, though, so now I wonder if the hub piece will be the current yellow or the gray that's coming in the summer.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

Good point, for some reason it didn't fully occur to me how the shooter attached the wheel to the legs, even though that's plainly obvious from the images.  A quick search for higher-res images shows that you're probably right about the disk piece.

I don't see any yellow peeking around the TECHNIC brick it's connected to, though, so now I wonder if the hub piece will be the current yellow or the gray that's coming in the summer.

Not sure. But the gray hubs are actually already available in some of the current Star Wars sets.

Good point, for some reason it didn't fully occur to me how the shooter attached the wheel to the legs, even though that's plainly obvious from the images. A quick search for higher-res images shows that you're probably right about the disk piece.

Nice! I literally only came up with the disc solution as I was composing my post, so it's awesome to see that the higher-res pics seem to confirm it. :3