Exclusive Gali Mask for LEGO Inside Tour Participants!

A LEGO fan on Tumblr posted a picture of souvenirs they received on their first day of the LEGO Inside Tour, an exclusive event which takes place this month and next. The item that will probably be of most interest to BZPower members is an exclusive Transparent Blue Mask of Water in a package identifying it as one of 200 created for distribution at a special BIONICLE event on the tour. Whether this means only 200 masks in this color were produced or that others will be distributed through other means remains to be seen. Either way, this will surely be a highly desirable item for BIONICLE fans!

View the full article

• Upvote 4

I really hope they produce more of these as with the trans orange Tahu mask, and isn't like those stupid comic con figures. I hate it when Lego is like this. 

Maybe a slightly different package, given out at Lego stores? 

Or it could be in the activity book. Only time will tell I guess. 

Edited by Craig B

From what I heard the book will have something else, so this is all the trans-blue Kaukau you'll get. And seeing how expensive that tour is 95% of the fanbase can't even afford that, so it pretty much boils down to the VIPs getting this stuff. And then E-bay will try and squeeze as much money out of the buyers as possible for it.

From what I heard the book will have something else, so this is all the trans-blue Kaukau you'll get.

The book is hardly the only way they could distribute a mask. Surely there are other events they could give these away for. They'd still be exclusive to events (like the NYCC mask) but it would make them slightly less rare.

• Upvote 4

From what I heard the book will have something else, so this is all the trans-blue Kaukau you'll get.

The book is hardly the only way they could distribute a mask. Surely there are other events they could give these away for. They'd still be exclusive to events (like the NYCC mask) but it would make them slightly less rare.

We'll have to wait and see

I want one. :(

What's that BIONICLE event about?

Given the general focus of the Inside Tour (giving you an inside look at what goes on at LEGO headquarters in Billund), I'd assume it's something like getting to meet the designers and possibly see some behind-the-scenes info from the development of this year's sets and story, much like the BIONICLE panel at New York Comic-Con. I am attending the Inside Tour in a little over a week, so if this event takes place on all four weeks of the tour I guess I will find out then — and if possible, I will write a report on the Inside Tour for BZPower.

I do hope more of these become a bit more generally available.

Not that I feel entitled to one. It would just be nice to get one, seeing as, unlike the Tahu masks, this one has some special significance as being reminiscent of Gali's original form.

I completely agree. More availability for this mask would be quite nice, not just for nostalgic reasons but also because it's such a beautiful design in such a beautiful color. The Mask of Water might be my favorite BIONICLE mask, in fact.

• Upvote 1

I have to echo what everyone else is saying, in that I hope this mask becomes more available to the public. Maybe it could be used for another Hero Pack promotion, or something similar to that.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Oh dear, LEGO truly didn't learn anything from the transparent G2 Hau, did they?

But still, let's hope it gets a wider release.

What exactly did you expect them to learn? Honest question. LEGO has been releasing event-exclusive items for years and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm. Inside Tour exclusives in particular are something they've been doing for at least ten years.

It's not as if the transparent Mask of Fire was taken out of a set just so it could be used as an NYCC exclusive. If it weren't released as an event exclusive, then it probably wouldn't exist at all. And nobody would be better off if it didn't exist. Except, perhaps, for LEGO's competitors at NYCC, who would not have to worry about the LEGO booth attracting so much attention.

• Upvote 2

Oh dear, LEGO truly didn't learn anything from the transparent G2 Hau, did they?

What were they SUPPOSED to have learned? The only lesson I could see them getting from that is "do more things like this", because it did its job of drawing people to the Bionicle booth at NYCC and ensuring that they left excited for the new theme. What backlash there was was exceptionally minimal, even compared to other event-exclusive giveaways (believe me, many AFOLs were and still are FURIOUS about figs like Bizarro or Phoenix being limited to a single giveaway at SDCC). And complaints about those other giveaways haven't exactly been enough to prompt them to change course.

Anyway, I don't think it's impossible that this mask could become available outside the Lego Inside Tour, though I agree with Dina—if it does get a wider release, it'll most likely just be another, larger event like Comic Con rather than a wide release like the Trans. Orange Mask of Fire. So I imagine there will still be plenty of people complaining.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

What exactly did you expect them to learn? Honest question. LEGO has been releasing event-exclusive items for years and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm. Inside Tour exclusives in particular are something they've been doing for at least ten years..

they made a moulding machine set once? maaaan that's better than a bionicle mask. :o

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!1

I WANT ONE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!

*Slams head through wall*

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

What exactly did you expect them to learn? Honest question. LEGO has been releasing event-exclusive items for years and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm. Inside Tour exclusives in particular are something they've been doing for at least ten years.

To be honest I feel as though the only reason people are complaining about it now is because its Bionicle. If it was anything else, they probably wouldn't care as much.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

To be honest I feel as though the only reason people are complaining about it now is because its Bionicle. If it was anything else, they probably wouldn't care as much.

Well, if it wasn't BIONICLE, all that would change is which people are complaining about it. Any time any kind of LEGO exclusive is announced you tend to hear a fair amount of complaining.

Ironically, last year at NYCC, there was plenty of complaining from both BIONICLE fans and other AFOLs. BIONICLE fans were complaining about the exclusivity of the transparent Tahu mask, while other AFOLs were complaining about there not being any non-BIONICLE displays or exclusives.

• Upvote 2

My main issue with this is that if it were only distributed through the Lego Inside tour it wouldn't make any sense. There's like, 6 tickets per year and they're a few hundred dollars if I remember correctly, and they sell out within 20 mins of being put up. Why would you create 200 masks for 6 people and maybe their families that came with them?

Also this event, if those numbers are correct, is like 7.5x more inclusive than the NYCC Hau? 200 vs 1500, meaning if any get into the hands of scalpers there's like no chance people will get them. As I assume most people understand, scalpers ruin the idea of collecting and having fun with anything (amiibo, collectible minifigs... etc)

I can't imagine what other event they'd circulate them in though, and I doubt Lego would make more. What really irks me is that the mask probably has storyline importance considering the summer wave contains gold/transparent masks for all of the Toa except Gali and Tahu, and with this mask we have full transparent masks that were missing previously. The trans-orange Hau was easy to get though (in the US at least) and the NYCC Hau is available, although it's a pretty solid $50+ to get one.

tl;dr: Exclusive to the Lego Inside tour is perhaps the worst distribution I can think of and Lego probably has some eh sort of distribution planned that'll likely be only slightly better. It's sad that it's such a cool thing that's gonna be this rare though.

• Upvote 2

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

It's not like this is a Bionicle fansite or anything.

All I can say for this is: "UGGHHHHH"

No, wait, I can say more. Please don't let this become exclusive. There's like, no chance that I'll be able to get it and I was hoping that I would be able to actually have a chance at collecting since G2 started but NOPE they have to do this. I didn't count the VIP packaging for the clear Hau so I'm not going to count this, just because it's so exclusive. But seriously, holy geez. This is just going to make so many more people mad than happy and it's not like the Hau which gives advertising or anything. I mean, LEGO is a smart company so I know they have their reasons but pleasepleaseplease include this mask with the book at least. My collection will be so unbalanced too, everyone having their drained gold mask and tahu having his two full trans ones, but Gali's just going to have her gold. Congratulations to those who get it but I'm just going to pretend it doesn't exist for my own sanity until I can get one :P

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

Granted, maybe all the snobbish AFOLs who can afford this but don't care about Bionicle will offload their masks cheaply. :P

:music:

Nah, I'd think that anyone this devoted to the brand would keep their exclusives, and if not they would know that it's gonna be worth a lot.

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

Translucent. Kaukau. 

Old-school!

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Granted, maybe all the snobbish AFOLs who can afford this but don't care about Bionicle will offload their masks cheaply. :P

:music:

More likely, the AFOLs on the Inside Tour who don't care about Bionicle will be the only ones looking to offload the masks at all. I mean, if you were on the tour, and got a single one of those masks, would you be keen on selling it off? :P

Plus, I doubt they'd put them up for cheap considering they'd be well aware of the mask's exclusivity and looking to potentially make up as much of the cost of the tour as possible.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm not saying about the inside tour exclusives. Actually, I'm OK with them, because considering the price for the tour, one would clearly expect some unique gift from LEGO.

I'm just saying that the ones who truly earn from these exclusive masks are the second market sellers/buyers and collectors and not the average kid who buys the new bionicle sets. 

What I'm saying is that they should be available to everyone, like the Hero pack promotion. 

But we still have to see the mask in the upcoming activity book, so maybe the mask of water isn't out of the question...

Also, does this mean we might get fully transparent versions of the remaining toa masks (trans. purple mask of earth, trans. green mask of jungle, etc.)?

SH0Gxlo.png

My main issue with this is that if it were only distributed through the Lego Inside tour it wouldn't make any sense. There's like, 6 tickets per year and they're a few hundred dollars if I remember correctly, and they sell out within 20 mins of being put up. Why would you create 200 masks for 6 people and maybe their families that came with them?

Also this event, if those numbers are correct, is like 7.5x more inclusive than the NYCC Hau? 200 vs 1500, meaning if any get into the hands of scalpers there's like no chance people will get them. As I assume most people understand, scalpers ruin the idea of collecting and having fun with anything (amiibo, collectible minifigs... etc)

I can't imagine what other event they'd circulate them in though, and I doubt Lego would make more. What really irks me is that the mask probably has storyline importance considering the summer wave contains gold/transparent masks for all of the Toa except Gali and Tahu, and with this mask we have full transparent masks that were missing previously. The trans-orange Hau was easy to get though (in the US at least) and the NYCC Hau is available, although it's a pretty solid $50+ to get one.

tl;dr: Exclusive to the Lego Inside tour is perhaps the worst distribution I can think of and Lego probably has some eh sort of distribution planned that'll likely be only slightly better. It's sad that it's such a cool thing that's gonna be this rare though.

Well, actually, the LEGO Inside Tour is bigger than you seem to be thinking, and getting bigger each year. In 2013, there were three tour weeks with 25 people attending each week. This year there are four tour weeks and I'm not sure how many people are on each tour. If all the numbered masks are going to tour participants, then that would mean 50 each week, possibly broken up into two groups per week.

The cost is also bigger than your estimate, though — it's not in the hundreds of dollars, but rather the thousands. It costs 14,500 Danish kroner which is about equal to $2200 U.S. dollars. And there's no "family discount" or anything like that. Nevertheless, the tours still sold out within minutes of registration being opened, just as in previous years. As you can see, there's an extraordinarily high demand for taking part in the tour, and that's part of why LEGO can afford to charge as much as they do.

I think the idea of these masks getting into the hands of "scalpers" is unlikely, though, since the high cost of attending means there's no way for somebody to actually turn a profit just by attending. People who attend the LEGO Inside Tour do so because they're genuinely interested in seeing the inner workings of LEGO, not because they think they can cheat the system and make back more than they paid. Some people might still try to recoup some of their losses by selling exclusive gifts that they have no personal interest in, but there's simply no way for somebody to "corner the market" on these items.

All I can say for this is: "UGGHHHHH"

No, wait, I can say more. Please don't let this become exclusive. There's like, no chance that I'll be able to get it and I was hoping that I would be able to actually have a chance at collecting since G2 started but NOPE they have to do this. I didn't count the VIP packaging for the clear Hau so I'm not going to count this, just because it's so exclusive. But seriously, holy geez. This is just going to make so many more people mad than happy and it's not like the Hau which gives advertising or anything. I mean, LEGO is a smart company so I know they have their reasons but pleasepleaseplease include this mask with the book at least. My collection will be so unbalanced too, everyone having their drained gold mask and tahu having his two full trans ones, but Gali's just going to have her gold. Congratulations to those who get it but I'm just going to pretend it doesn't exist for my own sanity until I can get one :P

From my experience, collecting is most fun when it's on your own terms. You shouldn't feel pressured to own something simply because it exists. You have the right idea in simply deciding not to pursue rare exclusives unless you see a golden opportunity.

I don't know if it's realistic to expect this mask with the activity book, but there are plenty of other possibilities for a wider release between now and the end of the year. San Diego Comic-Con, for instance, or an as-yet-unheard-of polybag set.

I want it because it really harkens to Gali's trans mask in 01. Gotta love that deep blue. I am sure they will give away these masks in other ways, just like the clear Hau. Hopefully it will be in the book later on.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

It's not as if the transparent Mask of Fire was taken out of a set just so it could be used as an NYCC exclusive. If it weren't released as an event exclusive, then it probably wouldn't exist at all. And nobody would be better off if it didn't exist. Except, perhaps, for LEGO's competitors at NYCC, who would not have to worry about the LEGO booth attracting so much attention.

What kind of warped all-or-nothing logic is that? Obviously, they could have just released the NYCC mask as an exclusive but much more widely available so that more fans could actually get it. Besides, while this differs from the exclusives at SDCC which I know pack huge lines since Lego and their licensed themes are hugely recognized, etc, in the case of NYCC I don't believe an exclusive mask was even announced until the event had already started, and since interest in the mask basically necessitates interest in this old theme coming back, probably anyone going to the Bionicle booth was going for that. I don't think a single person came only for the mask or would have turned away if an exclusive hadn't been offered.

The mask looks great and is an awesome callback to Generation 1. Isn't that Inside Lego Tour that really exclusive thing that cost thousands of dollars or something insane to get access to though, something so exclusive and unfair to fans who can't get access that it defeats the purpose of even doing it? I really hope this mask gets a wider release, either with the Activity Book or through another promotion like the Trans-Orange Hau.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Instead of complaining that 99.9% of the fanbase didn't/couldn't get access to the masks, can we instead appreciate this little trinket as a nice gift for the people who spent something like two thousand US dollars for a unique experience? They earned it. Literally :P It's not like LEGO intended to give these out to everyone and a bunch of mean rich people snapped them all up and LEGO is sitting here with their hands tied. It's an exclusive thing for an exclusive event; why isn't there this big of a backlash to the solid gold masks? There's only one of each of those! Isn't one way more unfair than 200? It's a very silly reaction to feel like you've been cheated out of something that (as we assume so far) isn't intended to land in anyone else's lap to begin with. 

It's a very pretty mask and I love the throwback to 2001. I also hope they became more widely available to the general consumer public sometime :)

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Isn't that Inside Lego Tour that really exclusive thing that cost thousands of dollars or something insane to get access to though, something so exclusive and unfair to fans who can't get access that it defeats the purpose of even doing it?

So now you're arguing that LEGO shouldn't even hold the LEGO Inside Tour at all unless they can make them affordable for everybody? I don't know whether to laugh or cry...

The LEGO Inside Tour is as expensive as it is for a number of reasons. First, because demand is unbelievably high. Not only can LEGO afford to charge a high price, but they actually have quite an incentive to do so as a way to cut down on the number of applicants. Second, because the LEGO Inside Tour is a really in-depth experience, not just some tour guide showing you around. A lot of preparation has to go into it each year. The cost of the tour includes lodging at the LEGOLAND Hotel as well as meals. It also includes opportunities to meet the CEO and basically all the designers (note that these are people who still have to be paid for the time they spend with you on the tour — they're not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts). It is, to put it simply, designed to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I have heard nothing but good things about the experience from those who have attended in the past.

There is nothing remotely unfair about offering this kind of experience to those who can afford it. Again, nobody would be better off if the LEGO Group did not offer the LEGO Inside Tour. People who couldn't get a tour before because of the prices still couldn't get a tour if the opportunity didn't exist at all. The only reason to think the tour shouldn't be offered at all is if you are so unbelievably self-centered that you can't stand the possibility of other people getting something that you aren't. It's like saying luxury cars shouldn't exist because not everybody can afford one, or that five-star hotels shouldn't exist because not everybody can afford to stay there, or that the new Ferris Wheel set shouldn't exist because not everybody can afford to spend $200 on one LEGO set. It's one thing to wish that the LEGO Inside Tour were cheaper (I guarantee you even the people who CAN afford it all wish it were cheaper), but it's another thing entirely to whine that it's "unfair to fans" as if LEGO owes you every possible experience they have to offer just for being a fan.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

Man, Gali's transparent blue mask looks cool beautiful! I love it! It reminds me of 2001 Gali's mask. Classic! I would like to get that thing!:D

I hope there are more kinds of masks. I mean, we also noticed Tahu's transparent mask in the Hero Pack, so I hope that there would more transparent masks for the other Toa, too. I am looking forward to get the other masks, too. I mean, transparent-colored masks look cool and beautiful!:D

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)