Okoto Rahi Diorama

Rahi_group.jpg

Initially inspired by the excellent Wildlife of Okoto topic and then going on to take a look at the original Rahi, I just had to build some critters myself.

Featuring a large, herbivorous quadruped, with a heavily armor plated back for defense, and the ability to retract its head when it feels threatened. This beast is impervious to all but the fiercest predators of Okoto. It still needs a name, though. Any ideas?

An old spider Rahi (I can't remember the name at this moment) impressend me with its simple but very effective build, so I replicated it. Not much of a MOC, but I like the look of the model. I envision this Rahi not as a spider, but rather as antlike. Living in hives of up to 30 or more individuals, these Rahi are not fully eusocial, but form a loose hive-like community.

Then there is the Ussal crab.

ussal.jpg

This little feller feeds on plant material and relies on its tough exoskeleton for protection. When startled it can run laterally with surprising speed.

From what I understand, the Ussal crab has been a perennial staple of Bionicle, and I can see why.

And a close-up of the flying Nui Rama (or is it a Nui Jaga? I don't know...)

DSCI0339.jpg

This predatory Rahi relies on its grasping claws to seize its prey. This creature is often falsely believed to be venomous, based on the appearance of the large ovipositor. The truth is even more ghastly: The Nui Rama lies its eggs within still living Rahi, where the larva then develop, comsuimg the host creature from the inside.

I hope you enjoyed these images, because I had a blast putting the models together.

• Upvote 8

hm, though the variety of greens is a bit... harsh on the eyes. the overall background does evoke okoto very well, it just feels like the kind of ancient ruins you'd find there and not some other place.

the beasts are pretty neat too, and do harken to the rahi of mata-nui, i like the crab best. :u

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

That is a Nui Rama, and the first one I've seen in Red, though the Pictures makes it appear orange.

That Spider is a Fikou, just so ya Know. but onto the build itself, it is Extremely similar to the original build, except it uses a CCBS Shell instead of a Pakari.

The Unnamed quadruped looks like a Dinosaur.

The Ussal, my Favorite part of that is the tiny little Claws.

I appreciate the kind words.

hm, though the variety of greens is a bit... harsh on the eyes. the overall background does evoke okoto very well, it just feels like the kind of ancient ruins you'd find there and not some other place.

You have a point regarding the greens. Maybe I'll try and cut back on the lime green.

That is a Nui Rama, and the first one I've seen in Red, though the Pictures makes it appear orange.

Is the difference in between Jaga and Rama in the colors? Please excuse my ignorance, I am a recent "convert", the great new toys enthralling me.

That Spider is a Fikou, just so ya Know. but onto the build itself, it is Extremely similar to the original build, except it uses a CCBS Shell instead of a Pakari.

I knew it was a name with "F"! Thanks.

And it is exactly the same as the original, but like I said, it's a great little build, and I liked it enough to simply copy it.

The Unnamed quadruped looks like a Dinosaur.

I have to agree, although I was going for a more "prehistoric anapsid" inspired look.

The Ussal, my Favorite part of that is the tiny little Claws.

They are posable, too. A very simple build:

20150507_212735.jpg

I love the background you built! Your rendition of the Fikou spider ant is great, and the red Nui Rama really looks like a wasp with its enormous eyes and stinger.

Thank you. That's very good to hear, since me tinkering with critters is largely your fault to begin with. Cheers!

The color issues (the greens, the orange-ish red) are most likely a result of me still trying to find the best settings for the camera and this specific setup. My usual lightbox is too small for these models, so I had to improvise. The cardboard background being nearly the same color as the dark tan brcks did not help either.

Edited by WorkbenchManiac
  • Upvote 2

The Nui Rama or "Great Fly" is just that. They are flying insect Rahi. The Nui-Jaga or "Great Scorpion" is a ground dwelling Rahi that as its name suggests is a Scorpion. You can see one in my Avatar as depicted in the MNOG from back in '01.

You did a very nice job converting the Nui Rama and Fiko Spider into CCBS and I am loving the trans blue shells as eyes in place of the old trans blue masks the Nui Rama originally had. Very nice touch and good homage to the original design. Speaking of; the Nui Rama of old were normally seen in Green or Orange. Where the Nui Jaga were light Blue and Purple. Just incase you were wondering why the Nui-Jaga in my Avatar was brown...

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png