Why did Throwbots/Roboriders "fail" and Bionicle didn't?

Klack

Joking aside, the RoboRiders' builds are surprisingly diverse for a theme where all the characters are motorcycles.  Swamp and Lava both use the four-bar style function build, Onyx, Dust, and Power use the large worm gear housing piece, and Frost uses a Throwbot/Slizer body.  And even within those categories each one is different.

RoboRiders are just cool.

I'm not saying it isn't cool, because it is my 3rd favorite. And I'm not saying Bionicle blew it out of the water. That is my complaint with 2002-2003. The clone villians. Look at my signature and you'll see a ranking. I happen to love Roboriders, and think it went on not long enough. I would love to have them back. Every theme had a problem. None were perfect.

Except GALIDOR!

Just kidding please don't kill me

I never meant to question your opinion of it, just to say that, past the initial impression of "motorcycle people", they're about as un-cloney as you can reasonably expect from any one wave.

The "RoboRiders are just cool" was me expressing my opinion of them, because while I don't often think about them (15-year-old theme and all that) I still think it's a really neat concept and I wish it was more marketable because I'd like some more motorcycle people in the future.

OpAXNpl.jpg

This might be a useful add to why the Bionicle franchise succeeded: It was cheaper and more friendly.

I never got any of the earlier technic products due to my parents. Too much cost and not a friendly product. With Bionicle, there was a connection my parents were okay with, and allowed me to get the entire 2001 wave. (Except the Manas. As the sets got pricier my parents felt less accepting to buy the toys.)

This might be a useful add to why the Bionicle franchise succeeded: It was cheaper and more friendly.

The Toa Mata sets actually cost a dollar more than all the main Throwbots/Roboriders sets (with the exception of Blaster, Millennium and the Boss, which were larger).

Edited by Sir Kohran
  • Upvote 3

Joking aside, the RoboRiders' builds are surprisingly diverse for a theme where all the characters are motorcycles.  Swamp and Lava both use the four-bar style function build, Onyx, Dust, and Power use the large worm gear housing piece, and Frost uses a Throwbot/Slizer body.  And even within those categories each one is different.

I'm not saying it isn't cool, because it is my 3rd favorite. And I'm not saying Bionicle blew it out of the water. That is my complaint with 2002-2003. The clone villians. Look at my signature and you'll see a ranking. I happen to love Roboriders, and think it went on not long enough. I would love to have them back. Every theme had a problem. None were perfect.

Except GALIDOR!

I never meant to question your opinion of it, just to say that, past the initial impression of "motorcycle people", they're about as un-cloney as you can reasonably expect from any one wave.

The "RoboRiders are just cool" was me expressing my opinion of them, because while I don't often think about them (15-year-old theme and all that) I still think it's a really neat concept and I wish it was more marketable because I'd like some more motorcycle people in the future.

For all I know the builds could be different and innovative for each set. But I don't have any, so I guess that's why I have this opinion on it. But if you like the builds, all to you. I just like the fact they are *Freakin Motorcycles*

I'm currently in the process of rewriting G2. PM me if interested.

Feel free to follow the blog! (https://spiritofokoto.tumblr.com/)

Except GALIDOR!

For all I know the builds could be different and innovative for each set. But I don't have any, so I guess that's why I have this opinion on it. But if you like the builds, all to you. I just like the fact they are *Freakin Motorcycles*

I only have one (Swamp) that I got a couple of years ago.  It's pretty easy to figure the rest out, though, as there are plenty of sites with piece inventories and instructions available for viewing, if you're interested.  I'd actually encourage you to, as some of the builds and functions are rather neat.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Except GALIDOR!

I only have one (Swamp) that I got a couple of years ago.  It's pretty easy to figure the rest out, though, as there are plenty of sites with piece inventories and instructions available for viewing, if you're interested.  I'd actually encourage you to, as some of the builds and functions are rather neat.

Ditto. I just bought all of them (except the promotional sets...for now) from ebay/Bricklink.

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

...I still want a Roboriders/Slizer/Bionicle crossover (maybe Hero Factory too)

-NotS

Well, I've got the product for you! In 2019, prepare for Lego's next crossover theme since Time Cruisers. Slizer-rider Chronicles! Or Throwbot-rider Chronicles if you live in the US. Meet the cast of characters coming soon to a store near you!

• Flame, the fire rider of his motorcycle, Lava! He's a hot-headed, firespittin' tough guy who only takes orders from himself! However, he can't tolerate curry and steam comes out of his ears whenever he's mad. His ride is equipped with flame blasting exhaust pipes and a disk launcher to burn through his opponents! His hobbies include racing through rings of flame and eating coal! Look out for set #8530 in your local toy store and be quick, for the cheap price of $5, every set is selling like hotcakes! 
  • Blade, the ice rider of her snowcycle, Frost! She's cool as ice when it comes to decking out rides with all kinds of cool weapons such as spears and a disk launcher to knock her enemies out cold! Since she's cold and anti-social, it's unknown what her hobbies are, but flame claims she's an amazing dancer and singer.  Look out for set #8531 and buy it as soon as possible, it will make you the coolest kid on the block!
  • Turbo, the city rider from Metro-Nui and the only one to own a car! It's nicknamed Power, reflecting what the city rider loves most! His sweet ride is decked out with a disk launcher and two plasma cannons, adding a new meaning to firepower! Turbo likes to hang around the workshop and customize his set of wheels. For some odd reason, he likes to drink fuel and has been kicked out of various petrol stations for that reason. Look out for set #8532 and dominate your friends in the battle for the disks of power! 
  • Hook, the rider from the underwater city of Scuba-Nui with an amphibious motorcycle! It's named Tide and its disk launcher, harpoons and grappling hook will wash over you like a tsunami! She's calm as a lake and her words are soothing to the ear, but if you tick her off, Hook will smash you like a raging tide. Her hobbies include meditation and swimming. Despite spending most of her life under the sea, she likes hanging out on dry land. Look out for set #8533 and buy it, you don't want your friends thinking you're a washout in the battle for the disks of power, do you?
  • Axe, the rider from the swamps of Amazon-Nui! His motorcycle has a lizard's head on the front and it not only has a disk launcher and swinging axe tail, but it also has knives for teeth to crunch down on its prey! He's incredibly mellow and polite, but he is ravenous and smells of a funny plant he smokes all the time. He likes to play video games and discuss the meaning of life with his pet chameleon named Jungle. Look out for set #8534 and you'll be high as a kite when you get him!
  • Kick, the rider from the rock mines of Onyx-Nui! No one has seen her face since it's covered by a grey visor and her motorcycle has a drill on the front to tunnel through solid rock with ease! Her motorcycle has the word "Granite" painted on the sides and it's got two laser pickaxes, along with a disk launcher! Kick is a sports fan who likes to play soccer and sometimes, she gets over competitive and becomes a sore loser. Look out for set #8535 and when you buy her, your chances of winning are set in stone to gurantee victory in the battle for the disks of Power!
  • Electro, the rider fast as greased lightning! It's shocking to think that a mere villager could be one of the speediest riders in existence! His motorcycle is amped up to beat the competition and his disk launcher can fire disks with the power of a lightning bolt! With all the buzz generating around him, people now want to know more about him and in a recent interview, he revealed that he likes to invent gadgets and listen to techno music. Look out for set #8536 and you'll be the owner of one of the most stunning sets ever released by LEGO!
  • Judge, the current champion of the BFTDoP! Her motorcycle can disassemble and reassemble itself into a jet and it comes with not one, not two, but THREE disk launchers! No one knows who she was before being the champion or how she got so good at battling, all that's known about her is that she's not going to lose to anyone and give up her position as the winner of the BFTDoP! Look out for set #8357 and you can claim you are the champion of the BFTDoP!

What are you waiting for? Go buy the sets and compete in the BATTLE FOR THE DISKS OF POWER!  The winner gets the rare and exclusive #85300 Millennium, the boss rider of light and #85301 Blaster, the leader rider of shadow sets! To enter, just give us your credit card details, mailing address and submit an MOC that meets the following criteria:

1. The MOC must resemble a vehicle and have at least one disk launcher.
  2. The MOC must not have a disk/disks with a power level of 5 and above.
  3. The MOC must have a head that can be knocked off easily. 

Once the MOC is submitted and you receive a contract, just read the T&C and sign it to become eligible to win! The contract states if you lose, you will be eliminated permanently. 

Edited by Liuth
  • Upvote 5

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I reckon those things preety much made up what Bionicle was in its original run

The building system of Throwbots

The Elemental themed stories from both themes

And speaking of Roboriders, I can imagine some of the sets becoming made up vehicles for the Toa Mata. How (sorta) cool would that be? Tah riding on Lava.

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

-NotS

Well, I've got the product for you! In 2019, prepare for Lego's next crossover theme since Time Cruisers. Slizer-rider Chronicles! Or Throwbot-rider Chronicles if you live in the US. Meet the cast of characters coming soon to a store near you!

• Flame, the fire rider of his motorcycle, Lava! He's a hot-headed, firespittin' tough guy who only takes orders from himself! However, he can't tolerate curry and steam comes out of his ears whenever he's mad. His ride is equipped with flame blasting exhaust pipes and a disk launcher to burn through his opponents! His hobbies include racing through rings of flame and eating coal! Look out for set #8530 in your local toy store and be quick, for the cheap price of $5, every set is selling like hotcakes! 
  • Blade, the ice rider of her snowcycle, Frost! She's cool as ice when it comes to decking out rides with all kinds of cool weapons such as spears and a disk launcher to knock her enemies out cold! Since she's cold and anti-social, it's unknown what her hobbies are, but flame claims she's an amazing dancer and singer.  Look out for set #8531 and buy it as soon as possible, it will make you the coolest kid on the block!
  • Turbo, the city rider from Metro-Nui and the only one to own a car! It's nicknamed Power, reflecting what the city rider loves most! His sweet ride is decked out with a disk launcher and two plasma cannons, adding a new meaning to firepower! Turbo likes to hang around the workshop and customize his set of wheels. For some odd reason, he likes to drink fuel and has been kicked out of various petrol stations for that reason. Look out for set #8532 and dominate your friends in the battle for the disks of power! 
  • Hook, the rider from the underwater city of Scuba-Nui with an amphibious motorcycle! It's named Tide and its disk launcher, harpoons and grappling hook will wash over you like a tsunami! She's calm as a lake and her words are soothing to the ear, but if you tick her off, Hook will smash you like a raging tide. Her hobbies include meditation and swimming. Despite spending most of her life under the sea, she likes hanging out on dry land. Look out for set #8533 and buy it, you don't want your friends thinking you're a washout in the battle for the disks of power, do you?
  • Axe, the rider from the swamps of Amazon-Nui! His motorcycle has a lizard's head on the front and it not only has a disk launcher and swinging axe tail, but it also has knives for teeth to crunch down on its prey! He's incredibly mellow and polite, but he is ravenous and smells of a funny plant he smokes all the time. He likes to play video games and discuss the meaning of life with his pet chameleon named Jungle. Look out for set #8534 and you'll be high as a kite when you get him!
  • Kick, the rider from the rock mines of Onyx-Nui! No one has seen her face since it's covered by a grey visor and her motorcycle has a drill on the front to tunnel through solid rock with ease! Her motorcycle has the word "Granite" painted on the sides and it's got two laser pickaxes, along with a disk launcher! Kick is a sports fan who likes to play soccer and sometimes, she gets over competitive and becomes a sore loser. Look out for set #8535 and when you buy her, your chances of winning are set in stone to gurantee victory in the battle for the disks of Power!
  • Electro, the rider fast as greased lightning! It's shocking to think that a mere villager could be one of the speediest riders in existence! His motorcycle is amped up to beat the competition and his disk launcher can fire disks with the power of a lightning bolt! With all the buzz generating around him, people now want to know more about him and in a recent interview, he revealed that he likes to invent gadgets and listen to techno music. Look out for set #8536 and you'll be the owner of one of the most stunning sets ever released by LEGO!
  • Judge, the current champion of the BFTDoP! Her motorcycle can disassemble and reassemble itself into a jet and it comes with not one, not two, but THREE disk launchers! No one knows who she was before being the champion or how she got so good at battling, all that's known about her is that she's not going to lose to anyone and give up her position as the winner of the BFTDoP! Look out for set #8357 and you can claim you are the champion of the BFTDoP!

What are you waiting for? Go buy the sets and compete in the BATTLE FOR THE DISKS OF POWER!  The winner gets the rare and exclusive #85300 Millennium, the boss rider of light and #85301 Blaster, the leader rider of shadow sets! To enter, just give us your credit card details, mailing address and submit an MOC that meets the following criteria:

Once the MOC is submitted and you receive a contract, just read the T&C and sign it to become eligible to win! The contract states if you lose, you will be eliminated permanently. 

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS REAL

PLEASEEEEE

• Upvote 1

-NotS

Well, I've got the product for you! In 2019, prepare for Lego's next crossover theme since Time Cruisers. Slizer-rider Chronicles! Or Throwbot-rider Chronicles if you live in the US. Meet the cast of characters coming soon to a store near you!

• Flame, the fire rider of his motorcycle, Lava! He's a hot-headed, firespittin' tough guy who only takes orders from himself! However, he can't tolerate curry and steam comes out of his ears whenever he's mad. His ride is equipped with flame blasting exhaust pipes and a disk launcher to burn through his opponents! His hobbies include racing through rings of flame and eating coal! Look out for set #8530 in your local toy store and be quick, for the cheap price of $5, every set is selling like hotcakes!
  • Blade, the ice rider of her snowcycle, Frost! She's cool as ice when it comes to decking out rides with all kinds of cool weapons such as spears and a disk launcher to knock her enemies out cold! Since she's cold and anti-social, it's unknown what her hobbies are, but flame claims she's an amazing dancer and singer. Look out for set #8531 and buy it as soon as possible, it will make you the coolest kid on the block!
  • Judge, the current champion of the BFTDoP! Her motorcycle can disassemble and reassemble itself into a jet and it comes with not one, not two, but THREE disk launchers! No one knows who she was before being the champion or how she got so good at battling, all that's known about her is that she's not going to lose to anyone and give up her position as the winner of the BFTDoP! Look out for set #8357 and you can claim you are the champion of the BFTDoP!
What are you waiting for? Go buy the sets and compete in the BATTLE FOR THE DISKS OF POWER! The winner gets the rare and exclusive #85300 Millennium, the boss rider of light and #85301 Blaster, the leader rider of shadow sets! To enter, just give us your credit card details, mailing address and submit an MOC that meets the following criteria:

• The MOC must resemble a vehicle and have at least one disk launcher.
  • The MOC must not have a disk/disks with a power level of 5 and above.
  • The MOC must have a head that can be knocked off easily.

What if the Toa Mata rode those Roboriders.....Or the Throwbots become Bioformers XD

I wonder if the new BIONICLE team is watching this right now...

Edited by KingLatios Nuva

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

-NotS

I want this so darn bad.

I don't want Slizer/Throwbots mixed.

Also, have any of you read the Maze Runner books? When I hear the Flare I think this: http://img3.toysperiod.com/img/cache/2f/800x600/d4e4o5g414j3y404z2a4r2q234q2r2h4v5f4042354v2r294x2u2.jpg

Clicked the link and I'm forbidden from accessing it. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

-NotS

Well, I've got the product for you! In 2019, prepare for Lego's next crossover theme since Time Cruisers. Slizer-rider Chronicles! Or Throwbot-rider Chronicles if you live in the US. Meet the cast of characters coming soon to a store near you!

• Flame, the fire rider of his motorcycle, Lava! He's a hot-headed, firespittin' tough guy who only takes orders from himself! However, he can't tolerate curry and steam comes out of his ears whenever he's mad. His ride is equipped with flame blasting exhaust pipes and a disk launcher to burn through his opponents! His hobbies include racing through rings of flame and eating coal! Look out for set #8530 in your local toy store and be quick, for the cheap price of $5, every set is selling like hotcakes!
  • Blade, the ice rider of her snowcycle, Frost! She's cool as ice when it comes to decking out rides with all kinds of cool weapons such as spears and a disk launcher to knock her enemies out cold! Since she's cold and anti-social, it's unknown what her hobbies are, but flame claims she's an amazing dancer and singer. Look out for set #8531 and buy it as soon as possible, it will make you the coolest kid on the block!
  • Judge, the current champion of the BFTDoP! Her motorcycle can disassemble and reassemble itself into a jet and it comes with not one, not two, but THREE disk launchers! No one knows who she was before being the champion or how she got so good at battling, all that's known about her is that she's not going to lose to anyone and give up her position as the winner of the BFTDoP! Look out for set #8357 and you can claim you are the champion of the BFTDoP!
What are you waiting for? Go buy the sets and compete in the BATTLE FOR THE DISKS OF POWER! The winner gets the rare and exclusive #85300 Millennium, the boss rider of light and #85301 Blaster, the leader rider of shadow sets! To enter, just give us your credit card details, mailing address and submit an MOC that meets the following criteria:

What if the Toa Mata rode those Roboriders.....Or the Throwbots become Bioformers XD

Bioformers would be really really epic 

-NotS

It would. There actually one on Cuusoo long long ago.

cringe

Poor marketing, unattractive/confusing lore/story. Simple as that really.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

-NotS

It would. There actually one on Cuusoo long long ago.

Really? How did that pan out?