Bots demonstrating Aikido

Obligatory Do not try this at home: These techniques, while not as nasty as Jiu jitsu, can seriously injure you, especially if you do not know how to fall properly.

I decided to build two aikidoka out of some parts I had. I wanted to keep them simple with realistic proportions so I could actually demonstrate the techniques. (Yes I used the glatorian heads because they had faces.)

Without further ado. I will show you 5 aikido techniques using CCBS nage and uke (nage is the thrower, uke is the one who is thrown)

Katatedori Ikkyo Omote, with Ikkyo pin
One of the many kokyunage (breath techniques)
Kosatedori Shihonage Omote
Ryotedori Tenshinage
Shomenuchi Iriminage Ura

Edited by Makuta Luroka
  • Upvote 2

bBhcfWO.png

I think my heart skipped a beat when I saw this, myself being an Aikido student.

And from the looks of it, you've got pretty much everything correct. I hope you don't mind if I email these to my sensei.  :P

bZpOwEr

I think my heart skipped a beat when I saw this, myself being an Aikido student.

And from the looks of it, you've got pretty much everything correct. I hope you don't mind if I email these to my sensei.  :P

Certainly. I took Aikido for a credit hour at my community college this past semester, and these are some of the techniques we learned.

(also I'm surprised I didn't hear "That's not how we do it in my dojo!" considering the myriad variations on the style there are.)

bBhcfWO.png

Certainly. I took Aikido for a credit hour at my community college this past semester, and these are some of the techniques we learned.

(also I'm surprised I didn't hear "That's not how we do it in my dojo!" considering the myriad variations on the style there are.)

Now that you mention it, almost all of these are pretty similar to what I've been taught. The only difference I can see is in the Ikkyo, and that's only got a slight different from what I've learned. 

But you're right in that there are tons of variations. Whenever a guest sensei comes to my dojo they almost always do several things different, and it's really cool to see the different approaches you can take to it. 

bZpOwEr

The art of breaking bones. 

I quite enjoy looking at people practicing it. I can't personally indulge in any form of physical sport due to a long-standing injury. But my (younger!) brother demonstrated some of these moves "on" me LOL. I quite enjoyed these, but for some reason I came here expecting EV3 robots duking it out :P

:tohu:

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

This is an interesting and fun idea. I myself do hap-ki-do, which is similar to aikido, and was able to recognize the techniques, if not their pattern. With the captions, I didn't have trouble following along, but I think it would have been great if you created some custom hands, say something like Hydraxon's (if they aren't too large for these guys). I like and agree that the simplicity in the MOCs' design helps with clarity, but more complicated hands would, in this case, make it easier to see what they are doing, as they look like a clumsy mix of parts in several pictures. At the very least it would be great to have the front and back of the hands distinguished.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

This is an interesting and fun idea. I myself do hap-ki-do, which is similar to aikido, and was able to recognize the techniques, if not their pattern. With the captions, I didn't have trouble following along, but I think it would have been great if you created some custom hands, say something like Hydraxon's (if they aren't too large for these guys). I like and agree that the simplicity in the MOCs' design helps with clarity, but more complicated hands would, in this case, make it easier to see what they are doing, as they look like a clumsy mix of parts in several pictures. At the very least it would be great to have the front and back of the hands distinguished.

I considered different hands, but they all looked really bad proportionally.

bBhcfWO.png