2015 Toa Genders

2015 Toa Genders  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Some people have concerns about the unequal gender ratios that have been a part of Bionicle since the beginning, but how would you have felt if they had changed this for the 2015 reboot?  Obviously they didn't intend to add new characters, so their only recourse would have been to change the ones we already have.  How would you have felt about that?

Edited by SPIRIT

I'm not sure about having the Toa change genders, though if I had to choose...I'd pick Lewa. He strikes me as the best candidate to be female. Don't ask me why, he just does.  :headbonk:  

Right now I'm content with my headcanon concerning the Protectors having three females, three males.

Edited by Vakama35

"Ten thousand futures have I looked at. A hundred thousand. And in only one does mankind finally unite, and flourish...and survive. Only one. Doomworld."

210pxthe_master_doctor_doom.jpg

Since these are new interpretations of old characters and not literally the same ones, I would've been fine with switching things up for a little more gender diversity.  I always thought Pohatu would've been a decent candidate for a possible gender swap (a sporty, tough, but nevertheless friendly [at least in G1] girl would've been a cool character to have around and a contrast to Gali's wise warrior archetype), and I admit I voted Tahu just because it'd be a fun twist on old expectations people have of the elements/characters.

Also, since we've all been to this rodeo before, a preemptive reminder to keep things civil.  It's just folks' opinions we're talking about here.

Edited by GSR
  • Upvote 1

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I am totally down with changing any and all of the Toa's genders. (Well, changing Gali seems a little iffy since she was the token female already... i kinda wish I'd thought a bit before selecting her option.) I can understand other people's reasons for not wanting to change them, but I can't say I've ever personally found them very compelling.

• Upvote 1

Ok I can understand the whole lets get more females into the group and I can also slightly understand some of the choices for a second female and even having a full female team but who voted to change Gali's gender? I mean really? Instead of having at least 2 females (Gali and one other) you picked changing the only female to male...

Anyway I voted to not change any because I guess I like them who they are. That would be like saying I want my son to be my daughter after 15 years of getting to know him and watching him grow up. Now if they bring in different Toa of the same Element that would be a different story. I could see a female Toa of Earth kicking butt and taking no names. Or a free spirited Amazon of a Toa of Jungle. Not sure I'd want a Female Toa of Fire due to the cliché of woman and their "Don't make me say it". Not a good idea to mix that with a hot headed element of fire.

• Upvote 2

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I don't think Lego is ready for a Trans-Gender Character in their Toy line. Best just to keep it Male or Female.

• Upvote 1

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I don't think Lego is ready for a Trans-Gender Character in their Toy line. Best just to keep it Male or Female.

Yeah, plus most kids even know what that means, let alone how that would be part of the story without explain the initial difference between genders. It's a topic or concept that should be left for more young adult themed stories anyway and even then, it mostly just makes the average person feel a little uncomfortable even discussing regardless of personal views on the subject. 

• Upvote 2

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif

Trans people (well, binary trans people) are male and female. A trans woman is a woman. Hence the word "woman" being in the term.

I personally think LEGO could pull off a trans character (though I think they would be best suited for more human-centered lines), but given that LEGO has always been fairly guarded in that regard, I think a trans character is about as likely as a gay character. And I have yet to see a canonically gay LEGO character.

• Upvote 2

1. I voted no on this. I'm not a fan of changing an established character's gender, even if they are in a story that is being rebooted. But that is only my personal opinion about this.

2. None of them. 

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I honestly don't mind either way. They're toys. Gender is largely immaterial, though I did vote to change Lewa and Kopaka, because I like that idea.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Hmmm. Well I will say it would be a bit of a sway for me if any existing characters changed genders, but I dont think I would be super opposed to it. I just don't really want it. Would love to see a new team in the future maybe having 2 or even 3 female characters in their group. Could be fun to see how that played out.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I'd leave it be.  On BZP there tends to be a lot of in depth discussion on Bionicle in areas that just won't be the focus of the majority of the people buying it.  Lego will have done their market research on this, gender equality has been a big topic for them recently.  Given they decided to keep the already established genders of the Toa, I'd say they concluded that was best for the market.  I'd expect this means future sets would have a similar gender ratio as well, but there's no reason Lego can't introduce a lot more female characters in the storyline.  Whatever they decide really, it's up to writers to create a story, not for the fans to fiddle with their creation. 

• Upvote 2

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

I'm not sure about having the Toa change genders, though if I had to choose...I'd pick Lewa. He strikes me as the best candidate to be female. Don't ask me why, he just does.  :headbonk:  

Right now I'm content with my headcanon concerning the Protectors having three females, three males.

Many people seem to agree with you on saying Lewa would be better as female, which is why I say that he's the only one who shouldn't be.

Though I'll agree with the last bit of headcanon, can't decide which three are female though. :P

Agreed. I'd feel uncomfortable with suddenly seeing some of the male Toa as female, but I'd get used to it.

I'd be more inclined to have a significant proportion of the Protectors (half and half) be female, since they don't really have established identities yet. 

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

If it were handled well, I'm sure I wouldn't mind too much. As for which Toa's genders could most do with a change, no telling. You would want to be careful about this, because while ostensibly any of the Toa COULD have their genders changed, it could have unfortunate implications if, say, you kept the three most aggressive characters male while making all the the three most peaceful characters female.

i've seen some MOCs and headcanons of a female Onua, which is definitely an interesting direction to take. The element of Earth can be as feminine as it is masculine — note the "mother Earth" archetype — and making one of the strongest characters female could help throw off some stereotypes. On the other hand, Onua being the wisest of the Toa means that suddenly both of the team's main "voices of reason" would be female, which could end up reinforcing other stereotypes (men being rash and thoughtless and women being more caring and thoughtful). So you might then need a more rash and aggressive female character (like a gender-swapped Tahu or Lewa) to help balance things out.

Bionicle 2015 isn't a continuation of the old line in which everything would have to be kept the same, but a reboot in which certain things can be and have been changed. Therefore I'd be okay with previously male Toa being female. It's harder to decide which Toa should actually be female, though. I think that depends on whether you can accept stereotypically male traits like physical strength and aggression belonging to female characters. I think the reason Lewa has pretty much always been the most likely candidate for being female is because agility and lightness are more compatible with the stereotypical slender female body.

Bionicle 2015 isn't a continuation of the old line in which everything would have to be kept the same, but a reboot in which certain things can be and have been changed. Therefore I'd be okay with previously male Toa being female. It's harder to decide which Toa should actually be female, though. I think that depends on whether you can accept stereotypically male traits like physical strength and aggression belonging to female characters. I think the reason Lewa has pretty much always been the most likely candidate for being female is because agility and lightness are more compatible with the stereotypical slender female body.

I also vote Kopaka as a 'Defrosting Ice Queen' character archetype, the cold, justice-obsessed paladin learning to lower her unreasonable standards to find friends and love (KopakaxPohatu).

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

I would be fine with any and all of the characters being gender-swapped. Hot-headedness and arrogance aren't exclusively male traits; neither is being a mediator a feminine trait. It would be a little weird at first, simply because I've spent the last 10-odd years associating those names with certain genders, but in the end I think any of them would work.

• Upvote 1

Way back in 2001, when I was a wee little one, my first thought upon learning that Gali was the only girl was "That's not fair". For a few years after that, I just ruled that Lewa and Kopaka (and Wairuha, by extension) were also female.

Unfortunately, after getting more invested in official storyline, I couldn't maintain that head canon. But if I had the chance to change things for a new story, I'd go with my gut and switch those two.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Skimming through this... someone mentioned Kopaka being female and being in a relationship with Pohatu. Sounds like bad fanfic, but I would probably love/hate it... because I like the dynamic between the two... (the original two male characters being obviously platonic relationship though, since Kopaka sort of liked Gali and had a rivalry with Tahu over her friendship.)  Speaking of changing Kopaka into a female, I wonder what LadyKopaka would think of it though? lol 

I have no idea why anyone would want Lewa to be female... even in fanfic... he's too much of a free spirited optimistic manchild to be remotely female. 

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif

the original two male characters being obviously platonic relationship though, since Kopaka sort of liked Gali and had a rivalry with Tahu over her friendship.

I find this perplexing considering I've read/watched the story materials from 2001-2003 repeatedly and found nothing to suggest Kopaka having any kind of strong feelings towards Gali. They just... weren't characters that interacted much, much less had the kind of interactions that would suggest Kopaka held her in any higher regard than, say, Onua. Kopaka and Tahu's rivalry was far more about Tahu's hotheaded nature and leadership position conflicting with Kopaka's cold demeanor and desire to work alone.

(Plus, speaking strictly in terms of canon, any and all relationships were platonic, given the No Romance thing [which was stupid])

• Upvote 1

the original two male characters being obviously platonic relationship though, since Kopaka sort of liked Gali and had a rivalry with Tahu over her friendship.

I find this perplexing considering I've read/watched the story materials from 2001-2003 repeatedly and found nothing to suggest Kopaka having any kind of strong feelings towards Gali. They just... weren't characters that interacted much, much less had the kind of interactions that would suggest Kopaka held her in any higher regard than, say, Onua. 

Did you read Tale of the Toa?

'I had a vision,' Kopaka said. 

(he describes the vision)

Tahu snorted. 'And when exactly were you going to let us in on this secret?'

'He just did, Tahu,' Gali pointed out quietly. 'And that's fine. There was no need of knowing it until now.'

Kopaka gazed at her, touched that she'd come to his defence.

• Upvote 1

Not voting because the second poll option doesn't offer a "no preference" option. I would have been fine with any of the Toa's genders being changed in theory, but my feelings about the gender of any particular Toa being changed would depend entirely on how well the difference was treated in-story. Plus, there's the obvious exception of Gali—obviously her gender being changed would be the opposite of progress, but the poll doesn't offer any choice of which genders you feel SHOULDN'T have been changed, either.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I find this perplexing considering I've read/watched the story materials from 2001-2003 repeatedly and found nothing to suggest Kopaka having any kind of strong feelings towards Gali. They just... weren't characters that interacted much, much less had the kind of interactions that would suggest Kopaka held her in any higher regard than, say, Onua. 

Did you read Tale of the Toa?

'I had a vision,' Kopaka said. 

(he describes the vision)

Tahu snorted. 'And when exactly were you going to let us in on this secret?'

'He just did, Tahu,' Gali pointed out quietly. 'And that's fine. There was no need of knowing it until now.'

Kopaka gazed at her, touched that she'd come to his defence.

"touched that she'd come to his defense" doesn't necessarily equal "totally obsessing over her friendship". There are many times I've been grateful for someone defending me; that doesn't mean I hold them in higher regards than my other friends.

• Upvote 2