T1S' Metal Art

The 1st Shadow

Okay, so I registered for this Metal Arts class for Spring Quarter, and our first project was to do a badge of some sort that held some meaning for us.

Naturally, I took the opportunity to do something BIONICLE-related. :P

My badge ended up being an emblem featuring my stylized Kanohi Kakama (seen in my avatar) laid over a hexagon to represent the Southern-style of Matoran writing as seen on Voya Nui.

In Hand

Front

Back

Now, there was an error with one of the pieces. The circle piece seen below the eyeholes was intended to be green. However, I left it in the ammonia gas over a weekend and the green color got scrubbed off as soon as the water hit it. 

Picture of it edited to show the what it should have looked like

This piece is about 4 inches from top to bottom, and roughly the same side to side.

---------------

This was a personal project that was inspired by a leftover from the badge. After cutting out the hexagon, I was left with a slightly smaller hexagon that I felt a need to do something with. So, I cut off some more corners, giving it a more circular appearance, and later cut out the two faces. I sanded and polished the center of the larger piece, and then riveted the cut faces onto it.

"Heads"

"Tails"

Size comparison with yours truly

The reason I polished the inside so well was to give it a mirror-like quality that would allow it to reflect light better, while the two faces would guard it against being damaged. This means that the emblems will catch and reflect light better than the surroundings, resulting in this:

Heads

Tails

And a quick video of it in-hand with some commentary from me :)

---------------------

Okay, so that happened faster than I thought. :) The GSR dog-tag necklace thing is done!

See it here

Pretty simple. Just the cut-out from the coin soldered onto a copper plate. Nothing too special, but I do like wearing it. :P

One modification I might make soon: If I were to dip it in liver of sulfur, the copper would turn black and the brass would turn more vibrant. What do you all think of that? Or shall I leave it as is?

-------------------------

With those three pieces out of the way, I may very well have time to do more. Feel free to make suggestions. :)

(And don't forget to leave comments, criticism, and/or cookies ;) )

Edited by The~1st~Shadow
  • Upvote 12

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

These look pretty great!I actually like the GSR/T3V coin thing more. I would actually pay money for one of those. Another symbol that you could've done on that one would have been the three virtues on one side with an elemental symbol or Nuva cube symbol on the other. 

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Thanks, guys! :D

*Insert Jakura Approves meme*

:D Awesome job. makes me wish I'd been more motivated in IT! I am loving the coin, absolutely loving it!

I'm contemplating making another, due to the number of symbols we discussed with the others. :P

These look pretty great!I actually like the GSR/T3V coin thing more. I would actually pay money for one of those. Another symbol that you could've done on that one would have been the three virtues on one side with an elemental symbol or Nuva cube symbol on the other. 

I actually thought about doing something with the Nuva Symbols. I'm currently working on soldering and hollow-construction, so I just might be able to make a small metal Nuva Cube. ;) It'll be tough, but not impossible. If I think I have enough time this quarter, I'll definitely attempt it. :)

Very nice job on all of these. I really like the double sided coin, and the stylized Kakama coin really suits you.

More of a badge, actually. :P It can be worn, but due to its weight, it would have ruined the shirt I am currently wearing. 

And yeah, the coin/medallion is already my favorite piece. It's made a semi-permanent home in my pocket. :)

• Upvote 1

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Dude, that's metal

Sorry, had to go with the pun.

There's some really cool craftsmanship going on here, and I like that you wanted the "coin" to reflect as well as it does. Makes for a real cool effect and I dig the attention to detail. Any plans on going bigger?

• Upvote 1

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

Dude, that's metal

Sorry, had to go with the pun.

There's some really cool craftsmanship going on here, and I like that you wanted the "coin" to reflect as well as it does. Makes for a real cool effect and I dig the attention to detail. Any plans on going bigger?

LOL  :superfunny:  Good one!

Bigger? How much bigger? :sly:

Actually, I'm kinda limited in my selection of metals. It's technically a jewelry course (smaller, finer pieces), so I can't go too big. But if I get into one of the welding classes next year, I might be able to do some bigger stuff. My dream is to have a life-size Kakama. :D

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

"There you have my shiny thing."

TRUE. :P

Great job, T1S! When you told us about this, I never thought it would look... so awesome! Keep up the good work!

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

Okeedokee, all. The necklace thing is done!

img_3423.jpg

Yes, I am currently wearing it, and I have no plans to take it off any time soon. :P

Now, I have a question for you all: Should I dip it in liver of sulfur to turn the copper black and make the brass more vibrant? I kinda like it as is, but I feel both would look good. What are your thoughts?

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Nice Dog tag. Anything written on the back?

Leave it and if you can make a second one. that way if something happens and you mess up or it doesn't quite come out the way you wanted you till have the original to both enjoy and use to make additional ones. I can imagine that several of the Members here would not mind getting their hands on one or that Coin you made. I myself would not mind having a Bionicle Coin. With the three virtues on one side and a Konihi on the other... Epic man.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Nice Dog tag. Anything written on the back?

Leave it and if you can make a second one. that way if something happens and you mess up or it doesn't quite come out the way you wanted you till have the original to both enjoy and use to make additional ones. I can imagine that several of the Members here would not mind getting their hands on one or that Coin you made. I myself would not mind having a Bionicle Coin. With the three virtues on one side and a Konihi on the other... Epic man.

Nothing written on it, no. I might try to put something there, but it would require certain tools that I do not currently have access to.

Yeah, Kayru already expressed her interest in one, though I don't imagine I'll be able to make any more in the next three weeks.. :P In the future, though, I may invest in getting some of the tools to do it at home. :) The drill press will be the most costly, I think.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Supply and demand my friend, supply and demand. If you get such a demand that would merit such a purchased I'd say go for it. Otherwise I'd say no. While like I expressed interest I don't currently, nor do I believe I would have in the near future; the disposable income to merit suggesting you'd make one for myself. This does not mean others may not be more capable. If you only get a couple requests I'd recommend seeing if you can use somebody else's. Be it a friend or the schools.

• Upvote 1

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I'd love to have a dog tag with the UDD symbol on one side and Vitruvian Mata Nui on the other (just etched into it, not 3D like you've done here).  I'm a bit of a dog tag collector, if I think the design is cool and it's the actual shape and size of a real dog tag.  I think a black tag with the etching making a silver design would look pretty cool.

Okay, so just the other day in class, we learned how to do sharp curves.

Which means I will be able to do a cube.

Specifically, the Nuva Cube.

Here's the design I plan to use:

0002186.gif

If you look, you'll see some areas where I'll have to improvise the cutting. If possible, I'll cut out the markings after I do the whole cube.

I've only got two weeks left of this quarter, so hopefully I have enough time to do something like this. :)

In the meantime, is there anything else you guys might want to see me attempt? Our final project can be just about anything, so long as it fits specific criteria (i.e. does it work, and does it look good?), so I'm open to suggestions. :)

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Before you start getting random suggestions I guess I better ask. Work how? Also regarding that cube are you going to weld the 6 sides together or is that suppose to be one single piece you are going to shape into a cube?

Onua.png

Before you start getting random suggestions I guess I better ask. Work how? Also regarding that cube are you going to weld the 6 sides together or is that suppose to be one single piece you are going to shape into a cube?

It has to fill a space or otherwise complete the look of something. I'm thinking about decorating one of my walking staves with some sort of fixture around and above the handle, but I wanted to see if anyone here had some BIONICLE-related suggestions. :)

And the cube would be one piece getting shaped into a cube.

Nuva cube'll be interesting to see, if I were to request anything, it'd probably be a supersized Toa Canister.

*ahem*

Actually, I'm kinda limited in my selection of metals. It's technically a jewelry course (smaller, finer pieces), so I can't go too big. 

I can do an undersized Toa canister (something smaller than my finger, but not a big one.

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Well if it is a jewelry type course then how about a ring to go with your new neck bling? Could be of your favorite element. Then if you had the material embed something like a small Toa stone in that color?

Onua.png

These are looking great! Still wish I was able to take metallurgy in high school. Ideas, hmm?

It's not Bionicle-related, but a Chi-Rho medallion that is connected to a necklace made out of byzantine chain mail would be too cool.

Bionicle-related, however, I'd want a US quarter-sized copper (or other like-colored dark metal) coin that has the Three Virtues, and on the other side the silhouette of Metru-Nui's Colosseum, and on the bottom of the side that has the Colosseum it would say "City of Legends". That would be too cool of a coin! Hahaheh!

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

:D Really beautiful work! That consideration of the light reflection for the coins is so clever; the effect is simply stunning.

Your saw piercing work is really well done! (How many saw blades did you break? hehe)

Your dog tag looks wonderful as is; I have a thing for mixed metals ^_^

You could always emery off the oxidization if you find that you don't like the effect; or even do experimental dipping in layers. I can also see this design done in a single sheet (no fussy soldering yay), where the brass design is cut away, leaving a hole. Then you can dip that in liver of sulfur and emery only the surface, leaving the metal thickness darkened to make it pop! (am I making any sense here? I got a little too excited :P)

It's good to hear that you'd like to get your own tools! I'm sure you don't have to invest in a drill press, as a flex shaft should do you just fine in terms of drilling the metal thickness you're working with. Plus, you can do so much more with a flex shaft (like polishing and engraving) than with a drill press ;)

• Upvote 1

sig1.jpg

:D Really beautiful work! That consideration of the light reflection for the coins is so clever; the effect is simply stunning.

Your saw piercing work is really well done! (How many saw blades did you break? hehe)

Your dog tag looks wonderful as is; I have a thing for mixed metals ^_^

You could always emery off the oxidization if you find that you don't like the effect; or even do experimental dipping in layers. I can also see this design done in a single sheet (no fussy soldering yay), where the brass design is cut away, leaving a hole. Then you can dip that in liver of sulfur and emery only the surface, leaving the metal thickness darkened to make it pop! (am I making any sense here? I got a little too excited :P)

It's good to hear that you'd like to get your own tools! I'm sure you don't have to invest in a drill press, as a flex shaft should do you just fine in terms of drilling the metal thickness you're working with. Plus, you can do so much more with a flex shaft (like polishing and engraving) than with a drill press ;)

Sounds perfectly sensible to me. :P Then again, I'm told I don't make any sense sometimes, so perhaps we just speak the same language. lol

On the tag: I thought about that, but then I decided it might be too much hassle to do all that, so I'm just gonna leave it copper.

Flex shaft, huh? Kinda like a dremel tool, right? Whatever the case, thanks for the advice! :D

sotpbanner.png

NickonAquaMagna~

Sounds perfectly sensible to me. :P Then again, I'm told I don't make any sense sometimes, so perhaps we just speak the same language. lol

On the tag: I thought about that, but then I decided it might be too much hassle to do all that, so I'm just gonna leave it copper.

Flex shaft, huh? Kinda like a dremel tool, right? Whatever the case, thanks for the advice! :D

Haha, I'm glad to hear that :P

Ah, I see! Well with only what time you have left in the course, it might be for the best to leave the dog tag be. Best of luck with your final project!

Yes, that's exactly it. It's similar to a rotary tool, but the pedal that controls the rotational speed is crucial.

You're very welcome!

• Upvote 1

sig1.jpg

• 8 months later...