Why they must wear kanohi

What if the matoran and other denizens of the matoran universe have to wear masks because they are in the presence of a Great being (Mata-nui) and their faces are not worthy? Tell me your thoughts about this.

Edited by Tuuli

What if the matoran and other denizens of the matoran universe have to wear masks because they are in the presence of a Great being (Mata-nui) and their faces are not worthy? Tell me your thoughts about this.

Because no one cared who they were until they put on the mask.

• Upvote 8

Quotes from BS01:

Matoran - Cannot use Kanohi powers, but require Kanohi in order to function. Matoran without Kanohi enter a comatose state.
Toa - Can use Great and Noble Kanohi. Without Kanohi, Toa are greatly weakened.
Turaga - Can use Noble Kanohi. Without Kanohi, Turaga are greatly weakened.

When a Matoran, Toa, or Turaga has their Kanohi removed, they suffer weakness - Toa feel weak and dizzy, Turaga suffer extreme weakness, and Matoran lapse into a coma-like state if the mask is not replaced within an extended period of time. Some beings are able to wear Kanohi, but do not suffer any effects of not doing so.

ಠ_ಠ

• Upvote 8

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Aaaaare you asking because you didn't know about the going-comatose-without-your-mask thing, or is this a headcanon?

ಠ_ಠ

=____=

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Pardon, it wasn't clear at first.

As for your idea, I think it's interesting. Since they didn't really know the GBs in the beginning, it might be an odd custom for them to already have, but it wouldn't be all that strange a thing for them to develop later. Would be interesting to see in a fan-fic.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I imagine the Great Beings created Kanohi as a failsafe (you'll notice they were quite fond of making failsafes for just about everything). If the inhabitants of the MU were to run amock, they could be easily taken care of simply by removing their Kanohi, causing Matoran to go comatose, and causing Turaga and Toa to lose the greater part of their powers.

• Upvote 7

I imagine the Great Beings created Kanohi as a failsafe (you'll notice they were quite fond of making failsafes for just about everything). If the inhabitants of the MU were to run amock, they could be easily taken care of simply by removing their Kanohi, causing Matoran to go comatose, and causing Turaga and Toa to lose the greater part of their powers.

While I agree that power fail-safes had something to do with it, I like to imagine that the Great Beings themselves wear masks under their hoods, sort of a cultural thing, and implemented that in their creations. So rather than hide their faces in the glory of their makers (which sounds awfully like a practice found in Islam), I think it's rather a way to remember and honor their makers while also serving as a necessary accessory for survival.

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon
  • Upvote 6

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

This poses an interesting question: why did the GBs program this defficiency in the Matoran?

I guess they could have interperted it this way, but the idea seems too fanatical in order for then to interpert it this way.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

Hmmm, I can't imagine Mata Nui being too fussed about some matoran not wearing masks, so I don't think it's about their faces not being worthy.

I seem to remember masks are used as power sources for matoran. Take it off and they go into a coma pretty quickly.

My battery idea ties into the failsafe idea quite nicely.

This poses an interesting question: why did the GBs program this defficiency in the Matoran?

Because the sets had a mask-knocking-off game in the original year and the story creators wanted to reflect that in the sets.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

How have I never made that connection?

• Upvote 5

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Because the sets had a mask-knocking-off game in the original year and the story creators wanted to reflect that in the sets.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

How have I never made that connection?

Off topic, but I can't express just how awesome it is that you used that picture. I love that show so much and I do that all the time. :superfunny:

• Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Problem is (aside from the masks already having a purpose as Eyru and others said), why would they be considered unworthy for their faces being seen?

I have actually used something close to this as a fan-fictional custom in my retelling in Agori society to have the Matoran character explain why he's wearing a mask before Matoran are supposed to exist, and a similar one in the MU with a helmet. But in those cases there were reasons why something like unworthiness would make sense. Matoran in general haven't done anything to deserve such a punishment, and masks are universal to them.

Only thing that's coming to mind is a sign of respect to the Great Spirit and/or Great Beings, but why then do Agori not have to wear masks in their society previously ruled by the GBs? If this was the intent, it would just come out of the blue, apparently. (And why not everybody wear them, then?)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Problem is (aside from the masks already having a purpose as Eyru and others said), why would they be considered unworthy for their faces being seen?

I have actually used something close to this as a fan-fictional custom in my retelling in Agori society to have the Matoran character explain why he's wearing a mask before Matoran are supposed to exist, and a similar one in the MU with a helmet. But in those cases there were reasons why something like unworthiness would make sense. Matoran in general haven't done anything to deserve such a punishment, and masks are universal to them.

Only thing that's coming to mind is a sign of respect to the Great Spirit and/or Great Beings, but why then do Agori not have to wear masks in their society previously ruled by the GBs? If this was the intent, it would just come out of the blue, apparently. (And why not everybody wear them, then?)

You have to remember that post-war Spherus Magna natives still felt the sting of war and blamed the Core War and afterwards the Shattering on the Great Beings for forsaking their responsibilities for what the Agori saw as, their hobbies, and later completely abandoning them when the planet's inhabitants probably needed them most when going off-planet. Most of them hated the Great Beings and remembered them in a negative light.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Why do you bring that up, lar? I didn't see anything about it in your post?

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Why do you bring that up, lar? I didn't see anything about it in your post?

I was bringing up what you said in a previous post:

With what I explained, in the eyes of the Agori, what respect is left in them towards the Great Beings to warrant even the thought of them giving respect?

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

I still don't see how it's relevant. As far as I can tell, you're listing things that happened after the GB rule I was talking about. Although admittedly those failures could certainly change their perspective, but you'd think it would be more humbling. I was thinking you were driving at something like that, but it looks more like you missed that I was talking about pre-EL society?

I still don't see how it's relevant. As far as I can tell, you're listing things that happened after the GB rule I was talking about. Although admittedly those failures could certainly change their perspective, but you'd think it would be more humbling. I was thinking you were driving at something like that, but it looks more like you missed that I was talking about pre-EL society?

Just because the Agori were ruled by the Great Beings doesn't mean that they adopted every part of there culture into their own. The Romans ruled over Greater Brittania (modern-day England), and though they had centralized rule in the regions of Londonium and Eboracum, much of the rest of the region had semi-Roman influence while retaining much of there native culture (or rather getting a nice balance between the two, while the most distant areas had little to no Roman influence but still had to pay money lest one of the Augustus' set a legion to get his point across. It is possible that the Great Beings ruled in a such a way, or maybe the Element Lords (they make more sense), and as the Great Beings crowned the Element Lords they probably put some blame on them..

Another thing is that the Agori during the exile of Mata Nui had about 100,000 years to change culture and devise their own since the Core War.

Excuse me if you will, but I found the immortalizing/timelessness of such human-like organic sentients to be a pretty stupid choice in the story, so many times, I outright ignore it, and it actually makes more sense to have a slowly adapting culture rather then some guys doing the same old thing for hundreds of millennia.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Uh, why would Agori's lack of respect for Great Beings have anything to do with the amount of respect the Matoran showed for the Great Beings? :confused:

Anyway, pretty sure the masks are a GB-inspired failsafe to keep their Matoran hordes in check. I mean, there's probably only like 40 GBs, and with 4 million Matoran running around, you need a quick way to shut them down if they turn on you, or even if they decide to put Mata Nui's arm on backwards. 

Still not entirely seeing your point... can I venture a guess and lemme know if it's anywhere near the mark? :) Are you suggesting perhaps the GBs made the Matoran to need to wear masks so they couldn't refuse to do so, and actually wanted the Agori to wear them? (Or suggesting this idea would help the theory?)

I would agree the Agori wouldn't necessarily want to, even if that was a thing for the GBs, but I'm just saying, it seems more likely this isn't a factor in why Matoran have masks at all. I think the idea that maybe GBs themselves wore masks and/or like the idea of them is probably closer. :shrugs:

Edit: Also, are you saying did catch that I was talking pre-EL? Because I'm still wondering why you brought up later events. :) As for timeless, I don't know what you mean or how it's relevant...

Also, how would you deal with the fact that many MU characters didn't wear masks, which I also mentioned? :)

Edited by bonesiii

Still not entirely seeing your point... can I venture a guess and lemme know if it's anywhere near the mark? :) Are you suggesting perhaps the GBs made the Matoran to need to wear masks so they couldn't refuse to do so, and actually wanted the Agori to wear them? (Or suggesting this idea would help the theory?)

I would agree the Agori wouldn't necessarily want to, even if that was a thing for the GBs, but I'm just saying, it seems more likely this isn't a factor in why Matoran have masks at all. I think the idea that maybe GBs themselves wore masks and/or like the idea of them is probably closer. :shrugs:

Edit: Also, are you saying did catch that I was talking pre-EL? Because I'm still wondering why you brought up later events. :) As for timeless, I don't know what you mean or how it's relevant...

Also, how would you deal with the fact that many MU characters didn't wear masks, which I also mentioned? :)

i thought i explained everything in my first post. :(

I feel like we are saying the same thing but just differently, and also I lost my point somewhere along the way. Neither of our posts have made sense to me when we first started talking to each other. :???:   i need a translator, could someone hop in and explain everything to me (no sarcasm)? I'm so confused.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Hm. Well, I was just saying that the topic starter's idea that masks were used because the Matoran weren't worthy seems inconsistent with the Agori society back before all the bad events we know of when GBs were in charge and highly honored, and yet they didn't ask Agori to wear masks. So if that was a GB intention as the first post seemed to say, it would seem to come "out of the blue." Your response looked to me to talk about events that all happened after that time. :shrugs: Does that help? :)

It could still happen... I guess I'm just asking for a specific case as to how.

(And it seems unlikely the story team intended this.)

Hm. Well, I was just saying that the topic starter's idea that masks were used because the Matoran weren't worthy seems inconsistent with the Agori society back before all the bad events we know of when GBs were in charge and highly honored, and yet they didn't ask Agori to wear masks. So if that was a GB intention as the first post seemed to say, it would seem to come "out of the blue." Your response looked to me to talk about events that all happened after that time. :shrugs: Does that help? :)

It could still happen... I guess I'm just asking for a specific case as to how.

(And it seems unlikely the story team intended this.)

Oh okay. Sorry for the trouble then.

I think the Agori had their own religious practices before the rise of the Great Beings, doubt they'd throw that away just for some fancy toys; maybe some, but not all.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png