Grief from a Show's Cancellation

IcarusBen

So, last night, the Late Show with David Letterman ended. I wasn't a terribly big fan of his, but it got me thinking about Craig Ferguson's (aka the best talk show host ever) departure from the Late Late Show last year. I kinda realized that I've actually been going through the five stages of grief.

If you don't know what the five stages of grief are, I'll use a quick analogy with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

• Denial: I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
  • Anger: I'm Furious It's Not Butter
  • Bargaining: I'll Do Anything To Turn It Into Butter
  • Depression: I'm So Sad It's Not Butter
  • Acceptance: I've Accepted It's Not Butter.

I've been going through the same thing with Craig Ferguson.

• Denial: Nah, Craig'll be back. This is just a temporary thing, he'll get another show soon, and James Cordin isn't that terribly anyways.
  • Anger: JAMES CORDIN SUCKS! How DARE they replace Craig with this bumhole! I DEMAND they get Craig back!
  • Bargaining: Please, I'll do anything. Just one more Clinton impression that slowly turns into a Dracula impression.
  • Depression: WAHHHH.... *cries into ice cream, except I don't have any because diet*
  • Acceptance: You know what, James ain't Craig, but he isn't trying to be. Craig's gone and I'm O.K.

So... does this happen to anyone else when their favorite show is cancelled?

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

as much as i liked letterman, colbert is probably one of the most brilliant comedians working right now and i'm eager to see what he does with letterman's position.

but yo, the reason i came into this thread was to say the word Firefly and to post a sad emoticon

Firefly

:(

• Upvote 1

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

As someone who styles themselves as a bit of a cartoon buff, I've had the misfortune of seeing several shows I liked getting cancelled. A small sample:

Megas XLR

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Young Justice

SRMTHFG! (Bonus points to whomever figures this one out)

Spectacular Spider-Man

All quality productions, all cancelled way before their time.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

As someone who styles themselves as a bit of a cartoon buff, I've had the misfortune of seeing several shows I liked getting cancelled. A small sample:

Megas XLR

The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Young Justice

Spectacular Spider-Man

All quality productions, all cancelled way before their time.

It's not as bad as when your favorite cartoons slowly lose quality until...

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS.

:(

But, actually, I was putting this up to see if anyone else went through the Five Stages of Grief when a show is cancelled.

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Tower Prep was an interesting show that was on Cartoon Network for only one season. The interesting part was that it had a great plot and was not a cartoon. It got cancelled and Cartoon Network denied any future episodes when the name was brought up a few years later...

...it's maddening because it ended on a cliffhanger...

Eureka was another good show that got cancelled on Syfy (in fact, the show was on when the channel name was still "Sci-Fi"). The show was cancelled just after the writers had completed the final season, so the show was pushed back by one season. The creators of the show, however, made a bargain with Syfy to make a final episode to tie everything together, giving the show a true ending. All in all it was a nice ending, but it felt rushed. I consider it to be the best show to ever be on Syfy that I have seen, with the second being Alphas.

...And then Alphas got cancelled...on a cliffhanger...

So, last night, the Late Show with David Letterman ended. I wasn't a terribly big fan of his, but it got me thinking about Craig Ferguson's (aka the best talk show host ever) departure from the Late Late Show last year. I kinda realized that I've actually been going through the five stages of grief.

If you don't know what the five stages of grief are, I'll use a quick analogy with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.

• Denial: Nah, Craig'll be back. This is just a temporary thing, he'll get another show soon, and James Cordin isn't that terribly anyways.
  • Anger: JAMES CORDIN SUCKS! How DARE they replace Craig with this bumhole! I DEMAND they get Craig back!
  • Bargaining: Please, I'll do anything. Just one more Clinton impression that slowly turns into a Dracula impression.
  • Depression: WAHHHH.... *cries into ice cream, except I don't have any because diet*
  • Acceptance: You know what, James ain't Craig, but he isn't trying to be. Craig's gone and I'm O.K.

Also being a really big fan of Craig Ferguson I can say that I've gone through this exact thing with the same person. I tend to be nocturnal and Craig was the highlight of the evening along with Robot Chicken (usually). Nowadays I tend to just have the TV off and work on or play one thing or another. i still miss watching him every night, laughing at his stupid things that made me laugh so hard. Some of the best moments is when he is on a role with something and he just starts laughing himself because of how stupid it is; like that dinosaur raptor joke-thing. :superfunny:

I felt the same way about Bionicle when it ended, as well as Longmire, Grim Adventures, and Ed Edd n' Eddy (I miss those so much... :( ). 

I actually watched the first couple of episode of Alphas, but i was forced to abandon it because my Mom got caught up in some new cop show or another (I bet one of those

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Also being a really big fan of Craig Ferguson I can say that I've gone through this exact thing with the same person. I tend to be nocturnal and Craig was the highlight of the evening along with Robot Chicken (usually). Nowadays I tend to just have the TV off and work on or play one thing or another. i still miss watching him every night, laughing at his stupid things that made me laugh so hard. Some of the best moments is when he is on a role with something and he just starts laughing himself because of how stupid it is; like that dinosaur raptor joke-thing. :superfunny:

I felt the same way about Bionicle when it ended, as well as Longmire, Grim Adventures, and Ed Edd n' Eddy (I miss those so much... :( ). 

I actually watched the first couple of episode of Alphas, but i was forced to abandon it because my Mom got caught up in some new cop show or another (I bet one of those

Or his accent bell. 1 ring; German. 2 rings; still German... three rings; dang it, now I don't remember. I just hope he gets a talk show on, like, FOX or something. FOX doesn't really have a talkshow, they could use the Craig Ferguson publicity.

Unless, of course, Craig becomes Doctor #13.

Like, seriously; I have a list of potential 13th Doctors, and Craig is tied for the number 1 spot along with Eddie Redmayne (Marius from the LesMis movie)

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Or his accent bell. 1 ring; German. 2 rings; still German... three rings; dang it, now I don't remember. I just hope he gets a talk show on, like, FOX or something. FOX doesn't really have a talkshow, they could use the Craig Ferguson publicity.

Like, seriously; I have a list of potential 13th Doctors, and Craig is tied for the number 1 spot along with Eddie Redmayne (Marius from the LesMis movie)

I loved his censorship. Little foreign flags along with weird words ("tootsie fruit!", "ow-oh", "bulalah!", etc).

I hope you know that he left, he wasn't kicked off or anything like Conan O'Brian on NBC. In an interview with Jimmy Kimmel he said that he was just getting tired of doing the show and he needed to do something else. At least now he hosts a game show. :D I've seen it a couple of times, he's still very funny!

Ferguson as the 13th doctor... You think he could pull it off? I only know him for comedy. I've only seen Les Miserables once and it was in theaters, so I don't know who you are talking about.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I loved his censorship. Little foreign flags along with weird words ("tootsie fruit!", "ow-oh", "bulalah!", etc).

I hope you know that he left, he wasn't kicked off or anything like Conan O'Brian on NBC. In an interview with Jimmy Kimmel he said that he was just getting tired of doing the show and he needed to do something else. At least now he hosts a game show. :D I've seen it a couple of times, he's still very funny!

Ferguson as the 13th doctor... You think he could pull it off? I only know him for comedy. I've only seen Les Miserables once and it was in theaters, so I don't know who you are talking about.

I know he left, I'm just hoping he changes his mind at some point and gets another talk show. I only get two channels and neither of them carry his new show, so... yeah.

As for him as the Doctor, of course he could pull it off. 12 is certainly a lot more comedic than previous Doctors (maybe not 11) and it seems to be working for him. Plus, he's Scottish, so he can keep complaining about stuff.

Eddie Redmayne is this guy;

Eddie-Redmayne-Les-Miserables-7.jpg

I call him Matt Smith 2.0. He even has a nice coat, too! Still not quite ginger, though.

Speaking of which, mind PMing me what you think of LesMis. Don't really want to derail this topic too badly.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I almost went through this when Cartoon Network cancelled Beware the Batman, but I got stuck at anger.

It actually managed to displace The Spectacular Spider-Man as the number one worst premature cancellation in my mind. The fact that CN's reasons for giving it the axe were all mind-bogglingly STUPID doesn't help. 

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go! I've been searching everywhere for that show to watch it again, but I've had no luck...

Try Kisscartoon, pretty sure they have it.

Anyway, I think this may accurately reflect how I felt about about the Colbert Report ending a mere nine months after I started watching. It sucked!

AXKP5KC.png

Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go! I've been searching everywhere for that show to watch it again, but I've had no luck...

Anyway, I think this may accurately reflect how I felt about about the Colbert Report ending a mere nine months after I started watching. It sucked!

He taking over for Letterman this September, FYI.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

He taking over for Letterman this September, FYI.

Oh, yeah, I know that. It won't really be the same though, his character from the Report isn't carrying over, it won't be satire or the same format and all. I'm really excited for him taking over the Late Show, but I still can't really help but miss the Report.

AXKP5KC.png