MOC help

I think you're in the right place. Don't quote me on that though. :D

It depends on the look of the Toa that you're going for. You could be stocky, average, or slim (my self-MOC is the slim one, and the picture isn't the best. I may provide more later on. ;) )

Also, I'm curious to know what element you align yourself with. I prefer Sonics as it deals with sound, and I myself am musically inclined in both instrumental and vocal fields. You don't have to go by my example, though it's just a subtle suggestion ;)

Edited by FordianL

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

That depends mainly on the builder. :) Everyone has their own style. 

For example, I like to go for a basic skeletal structure with some fun details over top. Usually I stick to an average-to-slim figure, though one of my recent Toa designs was extremely bulky, though the limbs were a bit basic.

I agree with Fordian--it'd be much more helpful for us to know what element you identify with, as well as some of your personality traits, as those are often reflected in the design. Captain Antarctica, a character from my comics, is serious, sturdy, and agile. As such, he's built to be angular, of average height, and slim. But despite being slim, he doesn't look weak.

So, in short, it really depends on your personal style, tastes, elemental preference, and imagination. :)

As Sergei said when he Kapura'd me, don't just limit yourself to one style. Experiment with Technic/G1, System, and CCBS (unless, you had a specific look in mind that can only be pulled off with one or two of those. :P

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Well I'm choosing plant life as my element. As for my personality, I'm very passive and obsessively generous. I'm always either offering help or giving away what I have for the sake of others. I'm a shaman, and have a natural gift for healing.

I've taken what everyone here has said, about combining Gen 1 and Gen 2. It is very difficult but I'm trying, and I have a torso. Using Black, Green, and White pieces.

I'd like to see some pics of what you have. Also, this piece is great for combining the old and the new.

Ah, I would love to show you pictures. But, I'm on a droid phone and I can't. If I had someone to post pictures for me I would show you.

That piece looks good, I don't have it though.

Edit: Am I allowed to share my Kik username here?

Edited by CarumEsSarene

I don't know what that is, but I don't see why not. Is it a username for some site? Keep the password and any personal information out of it though.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I don't know what that is, but I don't see why not. Is it a username for some site? Keep the password and any personal information out of it though.

It's a username for a messaging site. I figured out how to post pics so I'll be showing what I've made so far soon.

Edit: MOC page posted in Bionicle-Based creations

Edited by CarumEsSarene

I've personally wanted to make a plant-life Toa for a while, but have never gotten around to it. There are a lot of pieces that I've thought about using however.

As for general building tips, if you aren't very experienced at building, I'd suggest staying simple. If you try a bunch of custom stuff without much experience it can start to look a bit shabby. That doesn't mean you shouldn't experiment though. Experiment with stuff, a lot! That's the only way you're gonna figure out new stuff.

I'm not that great at making things myself, but I'll tell you what I know and have learned myself. Simple can actually look really good though, and you can add a few tricks here and there to really make it look better. A simple build with just a few innovative or original techniques can actually really make a model look a lot better IMO. CCBS is a very good system to build with for simplicity. It's easy to work with and has very simple lines and textures to it.

What I've been doing for my latest MOC is I took the basic design of the new 2015 CCBS Toa builds, but added in a lot more Technic (for custom limbs) and just a little bit of system and G1 parts. Since, I'm not very good with custom torsos, the torso is almost completely original (one piece torso, torso shell and chest piece) but I have added some tubes and some back coverage to help fill it out. I wish I could show you but it's not finished yet. -_-

Look at MOCs from other people around the community for inspiration. Finding someone who has a similar building style to you will really help as well, if you like what they have built that is. Even if you find some really complicated builds that you feel you could never replicate, sometimes you can pick out a few different techniques that you can use on your own creation.

A good color scheme can make or break a MOC as well. Try to make sure you use color blocking and layering, and try limiting the amount of colors you use. For plant life personally I would recommend lime as a base/main color, mostly because it is a very bright, nice color. When you look at most plants they are usually bright green. Then adding additional colors will really complement the base color. Red, yellow, orange, white, brown, and darker green are good colors. Even some purple would look nice (think flowers). I noticed on your BBC (Bionicle Based Creations) post that you were using a lot of black. Though black can be a really useful color for a skeleton or to tone it down a bit, heavy use of it might not work too well for a plant-y character. Not many plants have much black too them. Most don't have any at all. Think brighter greens and more natural colors maybe. Also, you can try throwing in some metallic (I'd suggest silver) colors to simulate armor (the new 2015 piston add ons are nice), and some translucent pieces can really help as well. The new Toa definitely took advantage of both of those, and I personally think they look fantastic.

Also, for a plant character, it would be very cool to have some stuff growing off of him, e.g. thorns, flowers, leaves, vines, etc. This can be accomplished by system pieces, and a lot of those can be add using CCBS shells due to the system rod sized holes on them, and also these pins can be helpful for System connections.

As for personallity traits, thats left for you to figure out. Just try to express them in your build as best as you can :D . That's all I got. Hope it helps!

ALSO, if you don't have some pieces and you really want your MOC to look the best it can, consider making an order from Bricklink.com. Its a bit hard to explain how it works, but just google it and watch a couple walkthroughs on Youtube. Its a really easy, affordable way to get individual parts that you don't have.

Edited by jmflem

I've personally wanted to make a plant-life Toa for a while, but have never gotten around to it. There are a lot of pieces that I've thought about using however.

As for general building tips, if you aren't very experienced at building, I'd suggest staying simple. If you try a bunch of custom stuff without much experience it can start to look a bit shabby. That doesn't mean you shouldn't experiment though. Experiment with stuff, a lot! That's the only way you're gonna figure out new stuff.

I'm not that great at making things myself, but I'll tell you what I know and have learned myself. Simple can actually look really good though, and you can add a few tricks here and there to really make it look better. A simple build with just a few innovative or original techniques can actually really make a model look a lot better IMO. CCBS is a very good system to build with for simplicity. It's easy to work with and has very simple lines and textures to it.

What I've been doing for my latest MOC is I took the basic design of the new 2015 CCBS Toa builds, but added in a lot more Technic (for custom limbs) and just a little bit of system and G1 parts. Since, I'm not very good with custom torsos, the torso is almost completely original (one piece torso, torso shell and chest piece) but I have added some tubes and some back coverage to help fill it out. I wish I could show you but it's not finished yet. -_-

Look at MOCs from other people around the community for inspiration. Finding someone who has a similar building style to you will really help as well, if you like what they have built that is. Even if you find some really complicated builds that you feel you could never replicate, sometimes you can pick out a few different techniques that you can use on your own creation.

A good color scheme can make or break a MOC as well. Try to make sure you use color blocking and layering, and try limiting the amount of colors you use. For plant life personally I would recommend lime as a base/main color, mostly because it is a very bright, nice color. When you look at most plants they are usually bright green. Then adding additional colors will really complement the base color. Red, yellow, orange, white, brown, and darker green are good colors. Even some purple would look nice (think flowers). I noticed on your BBC (Bionicle Based Creations) post that you were using a lot of black. Though black can be a really useful color for a skeleton or to tone it down a bit, heavy use of it might not work too well for a plant-y character. Not many plants have much black too them. Most don't have any at all. Think brighter greens and more natural colors maybe. Also, you can try throwing in some metallic (I'd suggest silver) colors to simulate armor (the new 2015 piston add ons are nice), and some translucent pieces can really help as well. The new Toa definitely took advantage of both of those, and I personally think they look fantastic.

Also, for a plant character, it would be very cool to have some stuff growing off of him, e.g. thorns, flowers, leaves, vines, etc. This can be accomplished by system pieces, and a lot of those can be add using CCBS shells due to the system rod sized holes on them, and also these pins can be helpful for System connections.

As for personallity traits, thats left for you to figure out. Just try to express them in your build as best as you can :D . That's all I got. Hope it helps!

ALSO, if you don't have some pieces and you really want your MOC to look the best it can, consider making an order from Bricklink.com. Its a bit hard to explain how it works, but just google it and watch a couple walkthroughs on Youtube. Its a really easy, affordable way to get individual parts that you don't have.

Thank you for the advice. I'm working on arm experiments now and using your advice as I try. The majority of black will only be on the torso with it being surrounded by green pieces. Resembling the dark shade under a tree.

As for thorns, I would have to say no. This is a passive and motherly toa, thorns would give a different message. I have a few nature pieces from system but they don't stick.

Looking at your WIP, I'd suggest adding some blue if you're trying to represent the Jungle element (aka "The Green", I assume that's what you mean by plant life) since its colors are green and blue.  If not then never mind.

If you're going to add SYSTEM flower or plant elements, do it very minimally.  Maybe a couple on one arm or something on the chest to replace the "heartlight".  Too many small details and it may end up looking cluttered.

Personally I'd try to use the Hero Factory IfB pods as some sort of large flower decoration; they happen to come in both green and blue.  If you can get your hands on a couple, nesting one inside the other can create a cool flower or bulb look, and depending on the rest of the build it might look interesting on its back or on a staff of some kind.  But that's just me, and I like trying to use big ridiculous pieces in strange ways.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Thank you for the advice. I'm working on arm experiments now and using your advice as I try. The majority of black will only be on the torso with it being surrounded by green pieces. Resembling the dark shade under a tree.

As for thorns, I would have to say no. This is a passive and motherly toa, thorns would give a different message. I have a few nature pieces from system but they don't stick.

For custom limbs (primarily forearms and upper legs) I've found these two pieces along with any sized axle, a ccbs shell, and anything else you want to build off of it works well. Also this piece connected to the side of that piece can help allude to elbows on the arm and/or help fill out the "butt" of a leg. I hope that makes sense, it'd be easier to show with pictures.

Here's a picture. Like this. It might be hard to see, and FYI that's a tire slid onto the shaft of this piece.

Looking at your WIP, I'd suggest adding some blue if you're trying to represent the Jungle element (aka "The Green", I assume that's what you mean by plant life) since its colors are green and blue.  If not then never mind.

If you're going to add SYSTEM flower or plant elements, do it very minimally.  Maybe a couple on one arm or something on the chest to replace the "heartlight".  Too many small details and it may end up looking cluttered.

Personally I'd try to use the Hero Factory IfB pods as some sort of large flower decoration; they happen to come in both green and blue.  If you can get your hands on a couple, nesting one inside the other can create a cool flower or bulb look, and depending on the rest of the build it might look interesting on its back or on a staff of some kind.  But that's just me, and I like trying to use big ridiculous pieces in strange ways.

I think the OP is referring to this: http://bionicle.wikia.com/wiki/Toa_of_Plantlife

Also, about that pod piece, I forgot to mention that could definitely be used as well! I remember seeing a smaller matoran/protector sized build using one of those in green as a cloak before. The build was small enough that the leaf reached near the bottom of the MOC like a cape, and the black fold-over at the base looked like an unused hood. It looked fantastic, and I am now very interested in trying that myself :P . I just need to get one of those pieces.

Edited by jmflem

I think the OP is referring to this: http://bionicle.wikia.com/wiki/Toa_of_Plantlife

Yeah, that would be Jungle/"The Green". Those are the official names for it.

Jungle and Plantlife are two different elements. (I like to think that Jungle is more combative with Plantlife being more passive)

I have the arms to where I'm satisfied, I'm working on the legs now.

Thanks everyone :D If I get done by the end of tonight I'll post my progress

I posted a link to the BS01 page for Jungle.  It's the elemental power to control plant life.  Whether you choose to follow it or what you choose to do with it is up to you; jungle could be combative or passive, just like fire could either warm you or burn you, or water could be calm or harsh.  In the end it's your creation and you're only as bound by canon as you want to be.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

You should also focus on how you want it textured. Do you want it rugged or smooth? Try using those vine pieces on the protectors feet for your moc. I like the way they look an they add a bit of detail also use the trans green pieces also with the protector. Good Luck

What's up with the little dude?

Little Bo-Matoran that constantly follows my self MOC around. It carries a tree branch around like a staff and pretends to be a toa.

That's really cute (and I'm not saying that in a sarcastic or condescending way), I actually mean it  :D

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

What's up with the little dude?

Little Bo-Matoran that constantly follows my self MOC around. It carries a tree branch around like a staff and pretends to be a toa.

That's really cute (and I'm not saying that in a sarcastic or condescending way), I actually mean it :D

:D thanks. The matoran's name is Kalena.

Back to MOC help, I'm still having trouble with the legs.

• Upvote 1

Ahem.  B-)

Would you like some inspiration for your upcoming MOC?

Look no further than here.

;)

Shamless self plug... a good plug, but shameless nonetheless. :P

I believe it's called self-advertising :P

And on topic: I can't say much for the legs (they're my weakest link when it comes to MoCing). I usually start with the basic pieces and then put armor on them until I see something I like.

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Ahem. B-)

Would you like some inspiration for your upcoming MOC?

Look no further than here.

;)

Shamless self plug... a good plug, but shameless nonetheless. :P

I believe it's called self-advertising :P

And on topic: I can't say much for the legs (they're my weakest link when it comes to MoCing). I usually start with the basic pieces and then put armor on them until I see something I like.

Darn, okay. I'll keep experimenting until something sticks.