Looking at Bionicle Commercials

Hey guys,

Soooo this is my first topic on BZP. I hope to make more and I most certainly hope you guys are interested in some of my topics.

Instead of doing a topic on how cool it might be if yo could make your Toa Mata sets ride on a RoboRiders set, I wanna talk about commercials.

Commercials is what made me want to buy more sets during Bionicle's original run. I first got into Bionicle in '07 when I stumbled apon a beast CGI commercial of the Toa Mahri fighting on Mahri Nui. Unfortunatly I couldn't get them at the time though ( got all 6 off Ebay few years later)

So now you guys tell me. What is YOUR favourite Bionicle commercial and what commercials made you buy the sets? (Btw that wasn't my favourite Bionicle commercial incase you asked. It's the commercial from '01 that showed all of the functions of the Toa Mata sets)

• Upvote 5

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

I like the Visorak commercial with the instrumental "Caught in a Dream" in the background. The 2005 playset commercial is cool with the giant CGI Kahgarak.

And it's not really a commercial, but I like that Turaga Vakama animation where he finds Tahu's canister. It shows a glimmer of hope in dark times.

• Upvote 2

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

Forgot to mention CGI animations count to! Didn't realised. Basically any promos

• Upvote 1

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

Truth be told it's a toss-up between three of them. The original Bohrok commercial where you see Tahu's golden mask fall to the ground, and the two commercials for 2007, the barraki one with Dekar and the Mahri one. Both had excellent music to go with them and I think that is what caught my attention.

• Upvote 1

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Hands down the 2007 Creeps From the Deep video. I didn't have TV so I missed out on all the television advertisements.

That video gives me chills every time I watch it. The 2008 Four Minute Retrospective is my favorite Bionicle video, but I don't suppose that counts as a commercial.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

This one, specifically.  I remember seeing it on one of the set promo CDs (Bohrok-Kal or Rahkshi, can't remember which) back in 2003 and I thought it was so cool, especially the way the music builds up and shows Lewa being all awesome.

• Upvote 3

OpAXNpl.jpg

This one, specifically.  I remember seeing it on one of the set promo CDs (Bohrok-Kal or Rahkshi, can't remember which) back in 2003 and I thought it was so cool, especially the way the music builds up and shows Lewa being all awesome.

Do they have any earlier discs with the Lewa Mata level in it? It bothers me to no end that the ads pushed that level quite a bit and the game didn't have it. Not to mention that Kopaka is the only toa to not have a Nuva level...

• Upvote 1

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

It kinda drove me crazy that the Lewa level was completely gone in the actual game, also the music in that ad was amazing. For me it's a toss up between that one because of the music and the Mahri one because it was just so cool. I personally felt like G1 peaked in 2007.

• Upvote 1

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

Sweeeet. To bad there were only 2 mata levels and no nuva level for kopaka

• Upvote 1

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

Mine would be the Toa Mahri promo. Seeing all of them get geared up and going out to face the threats like Gaduka and the others really helped to set the mood for the story at the time. Also, it was all shown while playing one of my favorite Chris Daughtry songs, which made me like it even more. In fact, that promo actually introduced me to that song, which is another reason why it is one of my favorites. :)

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I can't say enough great things about the Barraki ad. It felt more like a movie trailer or music video than a toy commercial.

I can't recall any commercials really getting me to buy the sets, though. As an internet-savvy fan, I usually knew about what sets would be coming out long before the commercials started airing, so at best the commercials helped me to know when the sets actually became available—and by that point I had generally already decided which ones I'd want.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I can't say enough great things about the Barraki ad. It felt more like a movie trailer or music video than a toy commercial.

I can't recall any commercials really getting me to buy the sets, though. As an internet-savvy fan, I usually knew about what sets would be coming out long before the commercials started airing, so at best the commercials helped me to know when the sets actually became available—and by that point I had generally already decided which ones I'd want.

I must say. Bionicle as a whole felt like a series of movies. There's the Mata Nui Saga( the original trilogy) the Metru Nui saga (the 2 part prequels) and the Ignika saga (As I like to call 2006, 2007 and 2008...that is the sequal trilogy.) 2009 and 2010 were more of a continuation that dont go with the rest cause it was set in Bara Magna and not in the MU and it also felt like a new beginning and end.

Thinking about it now I think Bionicle truely ended in 2008.

Edited by Takama Metru
  • Upvote 1

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

The 2001-2008 retrospective is my all-time favorite video. It has an epic narration chronicling the challenges and victories of the timeless Toa against immeasurable odds. It manages to cram 8 years of story into a couple minutes and it doesn't slouch on the action and adventure at any point. It really sticks out to me out of all the Bionicle promotions, with the only close second being the Bohrok awakening. It's really not this often that you get such a dynamic, well-composed story with such strong atmosphere and cool characters, especially for a toy line.

• Upvote 2

Bionicle commercials have always been my favorite commercials. The effects Ghost does and the world-building environments are amazing. 

Favorite ones: the Metru shorts

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

The 2001-2008 retrospective is my all-time favorite video. It has an epic narration chronicling the challenges and victories of the timeless Toa against immeasurable odds. It manages to cram 8 years of story into a couple minutes and it doesn't slouch on the action and adventure at any point. It really sticks out to me out of all the Bionicle promotions, with the only close second being the Bohrok awakening. It's really not this often that you get such a dynamic, well-composed story with such strong atmosphere and cool characters, especially for a toy line.

Oh yeah, that was cool too.

• Upvote 1

cringe

In all seriousness tho, the Phantoka trailer with Gravity Hurts plucks my heartstrings even TO THIS DAY when I watch it. ;u;

The entire vibe of that trailer conveys very well the feel of the epic Final Battle. It's just the Toa Nuva versus the Makuta, timeless heroes against timeless monsters at the stark, mysterious heart of the Matoran Universe. Instead of the music feeling foreboding and hopeless, it's optimistic and climactic. But among everything, the Makutas' eyes pierce through the clouds and the shadows cast by a waning light.

• Upvote 5

Oh man. Anything animated by Ghost is just jaw-droppingly good. I love all the main Bionicle commercials. The toy commercials themselves are awesome as well, with some great editing and cinematography. Also, the atmosphere in each commercial is so distinct and brings something new to the table.

I love the first Toa Mata commercial - it had so much mystery and intrigue to it. The Barraki and Phantoka commercials really conveyed a sense of danger/epicness respectively and it just blows me away to see how well-made those commercials are.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Can I just say reading this forum topic while listening to

has nearly moved me to tears from the nostalgia rush I'm having right now?

Well I made this topic so people could feel the nostalgia and look back. Im glad you feel it.

• Upvote 2

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

Ghost was always excellent. So they do 2015?

I don't think so. Maybe, but I thought I read somewhere that they're not doing the animations for Lego anymore. I could be wrong however.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I don't think so. Maybe, but I thought I read somewhere that they're not doing the animations for Lego anymore. I could be wrong however.

I seriously doubt you read anything of the sort, considering that I can't find any similar news online and they were at least doing work for Lego up through last year (they did the Hero Factory commercials as well as the "Invasion from Below" special, among many other ads). I would assume the ad for the 2015 Toa is their work as well.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I seriously doubt you read anything of the sort, considering that I can't find any similar news online and they were at least doing work for Lego up through last year (they did the Hero Factory commercials as well as the "Invasion from Below" special, among many other ads). I would assume the ad for the 2015 Toa is their work as well.

Alright, if I'm wrong then I am wrong. :)  No shame in that dude.  There would be more shame in defending something that is not worth defending and has no evidence to help it's cause.

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Honestly? Hm... probably the Toa Metru commercial. I suppose it was never the most popular of them, but I really remember the action and the music, and how it just all got me really pumped. And isn't that what commercials are supposed to do?

Yep pretty much. Im hoping to find an english version of the Toa Metru commercial where they show off the actual toys. I could only find it in French

• Upvote 1

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

Honestly? Hm... probably the Toa Metru commercial. I suppose it was never the most popular of them, but I really remember the action and the music, and how it just all got me really pumped. And isn't that what commercials are supposed to do?

Yep pretty much. Im hoping to find an english version of the Toa Metru commercial where they show off the actual toys. I could only find it in French

Here you go.

EDIT: I have had limited success in finding seemingly lost commercials by looking for commercial breaks from channels that would have them and months/years the channel would have them. Searching for "commercial" on BZPower's news archive will give you a good idea of when the commercials started airing in the USA.

I also found the 2005 Titans commercial on an ad video site and uploaded it to YouTube for more fans to see. If you know of any commercial-centric sites, you might want to check there too. The only problem is the video I found had an ad site's banner at the bottom, but since the commercial was in a widescreen format, I was able to crop it out.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese
  • Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

EDIT: I have had limited success in finding seemingly lost commercials by looking for commercial breaks from channels that would have them and months/years the channel would have them. Searching for "commercial" on BZPower's news archive will give you a good idea of when the commercials started airing in the USA.

I also found the 2005 Titans commercial on an ad video site and uploaded it to YouTube for more fans to see. If you know of any commercial-centric sites, you might want to check there too. The only problem is the video I found had an ad site's banner at the bottom, but since the commercial was in a widescreen format, I was able to crop it out.

Wow dude. Thanks so much! Commercial looks awesome.

Also I have seen the 2005 titans commercial in English somall good :)

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

That one Inika ad from 2006 with the voiceover regarding what it truly meant to be a hero...at the time, I was caught up in how epic it sounded and looked. Now I can look back and appreciate the slight subversiveness of the commercial. It successfully sold you the "toy" ("You may have your light-up sword, your multi-shot Zamor launcher...") while simultaneously telling you all that stuff wasn't important. It is what you do with it that makes you a hero.

From a "Lego is an altruistic company" perspective, you can see a message for creative, free-form play over pre-packaged, gimmicky diversion. A bold statement for any company, if you want to read that deeply into it.

Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"