Let's Talk Bionicle: Functions of Bionicle Canister Sets Sets

Hi it's me again. Hope you don't mind me making another topic. I do have a few things to write about bionicle and this is one of them.

In a bionicle set there are 2-3 things you could do with it. 1) Articulating the body to make some cool poses and 2) playing with the FUNCTIONS!!! This will my next topic.

Particularlly the canister sets, they would have at least one function that increased its playability. The gear function is probably the most popular function that a bionicle had. The gear functions were introduced to Bionicle in 2001 from its beginning. Gears would be placed at the back of the toa's head and move coincidently to move the arm/s with a weapon (feet in Pohatu's case). For the toa, the gear function was made to get the mask off a toa/matoran/turaga/rahi's face,

Gears continued to be used for other canister sets such as the Bohrok, Toa Nuva and the Toa Metru untill the whole function was ceased in 2006 onwards. at least they bought it back in 2015 :)

So this is where you guys come in. What was your favourite function of the canister sets? Tell me in the comments below! (My fav is the dual action weapons from the Nuva and Metru sets$

Also Im gonna start a thing where you guys also tell me a topic I should talk about next in the comments below.

Untill then the King (Latios) has soared XD

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

Blasters were the second best thing that happened to the Bionicle toys, right after introducing the innovative Inika build. They gave the sets more playability than any gear function coud possibly offer as well as they made the sets much easier to market.

bZpOwEr

Welcome to the forum KingLatios Nuva!

I liked the Toa Hordika arms' function to "karate chop"; it allowed for shoulder articulation and gear function.

Blasters were the second best thing that happened to the Bionicle toys, right after introducing the innovative Inika build. They gave the sets more playability than any gear function coud possibly offer as well as they made the sets much easier to market.

Totally! 

The blasters allowed you to shoot at other guys and have a war definitely making it much more fun!

Even though I never owned either, the Bahrag's shooty forward bitey mouths, and the Boxor's boxing are my definite favorites.

I like those Technic functions; wish they did a few like that for another wave or two.

• Upvote 1

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

Techincally, these aren't canister sets, but who doesn't love Rock 'em Sock 'em Lizards, AKA Tarakava? It sounds fun and I wish I had the sets so I could muck around with them. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

It's hard to pick a favorite function from the classic sets, since most of the sets that had functions had similar ones. But if you throw in the new sets, I really like Skull Basher's function.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It's hard to pick a favorite function from the classic sets, since most of the sets that had functions had similar ones. But if you throw in the new sets, I really like Skull Basher's function.

How would you know if the set isn't out :o

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

You can see how the function is built from the ToyFair pictures, and if I remember correctly he's already built a mock-up of it.  It's basically Dragon Bolt's wings, but instead of swinging the wings down it swings the arms forward.

As for me, I will always love the Bohrok's function.  The way it's integrated into the body is so cool and gives it some good power behind it.  The secondary "function" of rolling into a ball is really awesome too.

The Visorak mandibles are pretty neat as well.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

Wasn't it released early in certain countries?

Wasn't it released early in certain countries?
No, but as someone pointed out, it's easy to figure out and I've built MOCs using it. On top of that, I saw the set in the brick on the Inside Tour last week, including a demonstration of the function.

I always favored the functions of the Bohrok and the Visorak. Those were effective deviations from the typical canister sets (which usually had arm swinging only (or in the case of Rahkshi/Vahki, hip twisting). Yeah, the visorak had a cool function while it wasn't as elaborate as the Bohrok. I still like it though.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

Other than the obvious Bohrok punching, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rhotuka spinners yet. They're my favorite projectile from G1 to play with. The spinners didn't get lost as easy as other things, they spun really well, were easy to aim, and still went really far without posing any threat of knocking things down in house like zamor and such did.

In honor of the anniversary, I'm making a signature. Neat.

Other than the obvious Bohrok punching, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rhotuka spinners yet. They're my favorite projectile from G1 to play with. The spinners didn't get lost as easy as other things, they spun really well, were easy to aim, and still went really far without posing any threat of knocking things down in house like zamor and such did.

Exactly.

cringe

I wasn't the biggest fan of the rhotuka spinners. My favorite launcher mechanism (tbh) is a tie between the midak sky blaster and the Hero Factory Cannons. Both of those were good imo. I liked launchers that didn't go very far because believe it or not, I did loose some rhotuka behind things in my house and couldn't retrieve them without help from others. I don't think I've lost any cordak ammo or any other blaster ammo either.

The rhotuka were pretty cool though; I'll give them that.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

I lost my Keetongu rhotuka in my sisters room I never bothered to keep looking cause I had one to replace it.

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Ah, I wasn't considering the Rhotuka when I made my previous comments! They'd definitely be my favorite canister set functions—which is why I'm so excited to start MOCing with the new Ninjago Airjitzu spinners!

As for me, I will always love the Bohrok's function.  The way it's integrated into the body is so cool and gives it some good power behind it.  The secondary "function" of rolling into a ball is really awesome too.

The headbutting thing is pretty cool IMO but not my favorite part of the Bohrok and by far not my favorite function.

The Bohrok transforming into balls though, that was really really cool. They rolled, they went in their canisters and hung from the top, they just looked like the super cool robot bugs they were supposed to be.

The only function I think competes is the Manas being RC but that's just because I think the experimental nature of early stuff was really silly. Lego testing the waters with what functions sold and which didn't. Electronic aspects are something I'm glad never really showed up again but it was interesting to see them try.

As for me, I will always love the Bohrok's function. The way it's integrated into the body is so cool and gives it some good power behind it. The secondary "function" of rolling into a ball is really awesome too.

The headbutting thing is pretty cool IMO but not my favorite part of the Bohrok and by far not my favorite function.

The Bohrok transforming into balls though, that was really really cool. They rolled, they went in their canisters and hung from the top, they just looked like the super cool robot bugs they were supposed to be.

The only function I think competes is the Manas being RC but that's just because I think the experimental nature of early stuff was really silly. Lego testing the waters with what functions sold and which didn't. Electronic aspects are something I'm glad never really showed up again but it was interesting to see them try.

It was equally the same as the concept tital set that they were gonna release for Boneheads of Voodoo Island

Edited by Takama Metru

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

I prefer gears over a blaster/projectile, only liking the konoka or the first zamor launcher. But gears were where its at, and I'm so pleased with the G2 gears + posability

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell