Crystals and Temples ?

Do you remember that temples and crystals in MNOG II ? I always wondered what they were and who made them. It clearly couldn't have been the Matoran because Nixie said this:

"Unless the Formula is wrong... something is out there, I tell you! Something is under the sea!"

Then again, Le-Koro's temple was inside Matau's hut ! Maybe the Turaga know about it ?

My guess is that they are programed into the Island-making function of The Great Spirit, but for no apparent reason I guess ? It's just so strange. But I've heard that they're not canon at all.

Nixie said this:

"Unless the Formula is wrong... something is out there, I tell you! Something is under the sea!"

This quote was supposed to refer to A) Metru Nui, which we learned the following year was situated under the island, below the endless ocean, or B) The Great Spirit Robot Mata Nui, whose titanic form was concealed beneath the ocean, or C) she was talking about the temple itself. (The way you worded this, it's hard to tell exactly why you use this quote at all.)

Anyway, we don't really know where these came from. The temples were likely built by the Turaga. Matau would have to know about the one above his hut, because MNOG2 takes place after the Bohrok rampage, during which Le-Koro was destroyed, and the Le-Matoran had to rebuild. The Temple of Faith just appeared up there after the Matoran rebuilt the village? I doubt that. The fact that the Matoran and Turaga just happen to be in possession of charms that can unlock the temples implies that they've known about them for some time.

• Upvote 1

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Why does that quote mean it couldn't be the Matoran? The Matoran did build it as far as I know. Pretty much everything there except Kini-Nui was built by them.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

It's not impossible that the Matoran could build an undersea structure. After all, the original MNOG had a device that could raise and lower buildings. 

It sort of makes sense that the Matoran would build the Temples as tribute to the Principles. It's possible this was done before they lost their memories. 

• Upvote 2

I am positive she was referring to the Temple being under the sea. I just beat the game a few weeks ago. The solution to the formula was the coordinates for the Temple, so there's not much else it could be.

As for who built the Temples, apparently the Matoran didn't lose their memories right away, is took a short while. That explains why there were so many Matoran-built structures on Mata Nui that they thought were always there. Remember, the villages were partially using the airships the Toa Metru and Matoran came on, and the Matoran don't even remember there being any airships. I also recall that Kanoka were brought to Mata Nui, but their powers wore off after being used so much and so the Matoran didn't know what Kanoka were by the time the Turaga told stories about them. So I think it's likely that the Matoran built the Temples, they just don't remember doing so.

But it's also possible, like Kini-Nui, the Temples were part of Mata Nui's camouflage system. They're pretty simplistic other than the giant Matoran head statues. If they are part of Mata Nui's sytem, I'd say they were probably added to by the Matoran.

It's not impossible that the Matoran could build an undersea structure. After all, the original MNOG had a device that could raise and lower buildings.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

Edited by Cheesy Mac n Cheese

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

You've never gone to Ga-Koro in MNOG after Macku tells you about the Tarakava attack? There's a pump there that you have to repair to raise a hut off the sea floor. 

You've never gone to Ga-Koro in MNOG after Macku tells you about the Tarakava attack? There's a pump there that you have to repair to raise a hut off the sea floor. 

Oh, that. I thought you were referring to something on land (I didn't make the connection between the two sentences). This makes more sense, because of the effects of buoyancy.

I don't consider some bits of MNOG 2 canon, the Temples and Crystals being one of them. And I don't think the game was ever approved by  the Story Team, unlike MNOG 1

And by the way, that "formula" thing Nixie said. That doesn't make a single sense :P

Edited by Archius
  • Upvote 1

In my opinion, if the crystals and temples aren't canon, then there's not much left to be canon. The entire game is just the Kolhii training/matches and the crystals/temples. It was almost just like a peek into the everyday life of the Matoran. There wasn't much in the way of plot besides the two things I mentioned. But that makes sense, since it takes place during a time of peace between the Bohrok-Kal attacks and Mask of Light.

So I see no reason to declare the crystals/temples non-canon. There wasn't much else going on at the time Hahli was doing this quest (other than the Rahkshi being present at the tail end of it) so there's really no other story material to contradict it.

The only non-canon aspect of the game that has been confirmed by Greg are the Matoran names that weren't passed through legal checks, but most sources, including BS01, use them anyway because there's no better way to refer to these individual Matoran (who are otherwise canon).

I don't consider some bits of MNOG 2 canon, the Temples and Crystals being one of them. And I don't think the game was ever approved by  the Story Team, unlike MNOG 1

And by the way, that "formula" thing Nixie said. That doesn't make a single sense :P

Actually it makes 2.97 senses. :P

*ahem* Why doesn't it make sense? (I don't really know much about it, but curious whatcha mean. :P)

As for canon, MNOG1 was definitely said to be "canon unless contradicted elsewhere" by Greg. Since MNOG2 was a direct continuation, that probably applies there too, although off the top of my head I don't recall that being specifically confirmed. But since the main character was given the nod of becoming a Toa, it seems unimaginable that it isn't (semi-)canon.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

6) In MNOG II, we see Akhmou rebuilt. It is canon?

6) I have no info on MNOG2, I had nothing to do with the game

*insert recurring theme with like a bunch of the same answer here*

2) When you said that no named characters (except for the obvious one) died when Teridax died, does this include the MNOG2 Matoran with non-canon names?

2) I don't consider them named characters, because the names are not official.

Then if I go back up to the Discussion: 

3. Will everything from this year be in the Encyclopedia too?

3) That's the plan. Right now, the only thing I know of that will not be in the book will be a lot of the Matoran from the online games. Their names were never run through any legal or copyright checks, so I cannot use them in printed material. 

3. In the Mata Nui Online Game 2, Matoran were seen named Nuri, Orkan, and Tehuti. Can you confirm that these are one and the same as Nuhrii, Orkahm, and Tehutti?

3b. If they are, when were their names changed in-story (or were the MNOLG2 names just dropped and ignored, like "Tohunga" was)?

3) They are the same, and the names were changed because the names in MNOG2 were never cleared by our Legal Department and you can't use names that have not been.

2)In MNOG2, there were lots of Matoran with names that had not been cleared legaly. Are these names official?

2) No. If they aren't cleared legally, that means we cannot use them in BIONICLE, which makes them not official. The Matoran themselves and what they did in the games are canon, their names are not.

So at least one part of the game is declared non-canon (the names) but the Matoran's actions are canon, which would probably include Nixie's astrology. 

9)So the Mata Nui telescope wasn't cleared by the Bohrok. Were the :wakeup2: Mata Nui and Makuta statues cleared since they were Matoran made?

9) Anything added by the Matoran was removed, yes

Thanks Greg.

Several MNOGII Matoran also appear in Tentacles by Turakii #1 Lavasurfer, which is canon. However, they use the apparently non-canon names.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: several also appear in the Toa Metru promo CDs, also with the non-canonical names.

I just remember that Gali's temple is underwater.(the map and this pic by faber supports this). So the Ga-Matoran are indeed capable of building an underwater temple.

True. I wonder how the Matoran built that. Keep in mind, though, that this is Ga-Kini, and what we're discussing is the Temple of Purity, which (as far as we know) are two completely different things.

I wish Greg could answer questions related to the game. Then we could know whether the Temples were Matoran-built or not.

Actually it makes 2.97 senses. :P

*ahem* Why doesn't it make sense? (I don't really know much about it, but curious whatcha mean. :P)

I don't quite remember but it has something to do with the number of toa plus makuta or something multiplied by the number of turaga, that gives the coordenates to the temple of water.

Erm, wasn't Faber's stuff just concept work that didn't make it into the final Bionicle?

It could be true, but since it's listed as underwater in the official map, then it must indeed be underwater and built by the Matoran and/or Turaga.

True. I wonder how the Matoran built that. Keep in mind, though, that this is Ga-Kini, and what we're discussing is the Temple of Purity, which (as far as we know) are two completely different things.

I'm fully aware of this, but this means that if they could build Ga-Kini underwater, then they shouldn't have much trouble building an underwater kolhii temple.

Several MNOGII Matoran also appear in Tentacles by Turakii #1 Lavasurfer, which is canon. However, they use the apparently non-canon names.

As was pointed out in another topic, while it may be canon, it is still FAN-MADE and, as such, the writers of those stories would have used whatever they were familiar with, even if that meant using semi-canon characters to fill in for worldbuilding. The events transpiring there may be canon, but not necessarily the characters, like in the game.

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~