Third 2014 LEGO Ideas Review Results Announced

The LEGO Ideas team has revealed the results of the third 2014 LEGO Ideas review period on their blog. Nine projects were in the running this review period, but one has been selected for production: the Labyrinth Marble Maze by JKBrickworks! Additionally, the Star Citizen F7A Hornet project by nosmigon is still under consideration. Read on to watch the announcement video, which concludes with a summary of what's in the running for the next review period!

View the full article

These look really cool! I gotta get 'em for display pieces. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'm kinda bummed that Minas Tirith didn't pass.  :(

:music:

Agreed. Nuju Metru's design deserves to be on the shelves of LEGO LotR fans everywhere!

The Maze, though, is a great choice! It's different from what LEGO has done, isn't a licensed theme, and will hopefully inspire kids with all kinds of build mechanics as they build it and build their own variations of games.

-CF

nexo_shields_9.jpg

I'll second the Minas Tirith pity.  It was really well-designed as a set.  The maze was an interesting choice, I'm really curious about that they will change and keep in the final product.

Most important to me, of course, is that the Wind Waker project finally got it's 10,000 votes.  It really deserved them.  I know it's unlikely, but I'm still crossing my fingers that this time the Zelda project will make it.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

I'll second the Minas Tirith pity.  It was really well-designed as a set.  The maze was an interesting choice, I'm really curious about that they will change and keep in the final product.

Most important to me, of course, is that the Wind Waker project finally got it's 10,000 votes.  It really deserved them.  I know it's unlikely, but I'm still crossing my fingers that this time the Zelda project will make it.

I seriously doubt that even this Zelda project will pass—like the others, it would require at least a new hat mold to really do Link's character design justice.

However, I'm still hoping that the demand demonstrated by all these Zelda projects is not going unnoticed by Lego or Nintendo. The Legend of Zelda is one of Nintendo's biggest franchises that still hasn't been licensed to another building toy manufacturer... and there's a high=profile new installment coming out next year. I'd like to think that a full theme could potentially be in the works to tie in with that.

As for the Minas Tirith project... is it any surprise it didn't pass? Don't get me wrong—it's a great model. It's also COLOSSAL. I haven't seen an actual part count, but I'd wager that it's bigger than any other Lego set ever produced. The same applies to several of the other models that were rejected, like the coffin-sized Helicarrier (which had additional reasons for rejection, obviously, but the size was a deal-breaker as well). The Marble Maze itself seems larger than any past Ideas sets, and even it would probably fit into a reasonable price-point, whereas the $250 price point hypothesized by Nuju Metru is ridiculously optimistic. I think twice that ($500, the most any D2C Lego set has ever cost) would be more accurate—and event that might be lowballing it. As it is, there's no way a set like that, from a declining theme, could ever be successful.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Wait so the Avengers Hellcarrier did not pass? So what was that thing some of the BZP took hours to build? It is too bad about the JP gate and truck. I was really looking forward to possibly building it. Especially with the new line of Jurassic World sets and the game that spans all 4 movies.

I think out of the second waves that Rex would be cool to build and if that Corvette passes I am so picking it up. What the Corvette happens to be my favorite model of car. The Stingray... Oh yes I hope to own one, one day. That Titanic is going to be an Epic build as well. Have to find these on the actual site so I can check them out and up-vote them.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Congrats to JKBrickworks for his set passing the review stage! B-)

Its a shame that some of the others didn't make it though. That Flying Dutchman set looked really cool and I would've considered getting it had it passed. But you can't always get what you want.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Congrats to JKBrickworks for his set passing the review stage! B-)

Its a shame that some of the others didn't make it though. That Flying Dutchman set looked really cool and I would've considered getting it had it passed. But you can't always get what you want.

I remember coming across that several months back and thinking that it was very intricate how much detail he put into it. That would have been an epic and expensive set if it had past.

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Anyone got any idea on how much that Maze Game set is gonna cost? Given how over-priced the Lego Ideas sets tend to be, I'm gonna guess around 150$.

Edited by Marvel Nui

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Anyone got any idea on how much that Maze Game set is gonna cost? Given how over-priced the Lego Ideas sets tend to be, I'm gonna guess around 150$.

I don't have any idea where you're getting the idea that Ideas sets are overpriced—the price of past sets generally seems pretty fair.

In any case, $150 is most likely overshooting it. I'd wager $80–$120 would be more in the ballpark for this set. I do think it will probably be the most expensive Ideas set yet, considering there hasn't been a single Ideas set priced higher than $50 before, and this seems bigger than all past projects to succeed.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

How big is the set in question? I mean it is a small marble maze game or a large on? If it is small I don't see why it would exceed the $50 bench mark. Mind you the whole thing is made from Lego bricks so who knows...

Onua.png

How big is the set in question? I mean it is a small marble maze game or a large on? If it is small I don't see why it would exceed the $50 bench mark. Mind you the whole thing is made from Lego bricks so who knows...

Here's the original project. It appears to fit on a 32x32 baseplate. I personally think that even Lyi's suggested price point might be overshooting things a bit. After all, it doesn't seem too much bigger than the Pirates Chess Set, nor does it have any minifigures. And I'm sure that the designers would be able to simplify it somewhat from the original concept while maintaining the functionaIity. I think $50–80 seems pretty fair, depending on what customization options it includes.

• Upvote 1

Well based on the image I would say that basically where the "holes" are located or the bars for travel. I don't think they will release multiple types of mazes for this unless it sells real well and they want to have expansion packs. Also I think the customizing officially is for the consumer with their own spare legos. For example removing some of the flat plates for that Dragon castle set. Or if you have them a Ninjago themed one. Be pretty Cool. I'm down for a new Jurassic Park themed maze.

Onua.png