What will upgraded Toa look like?

The Toa will definitely get a power-up at some point, because Lego needs to sell more toys. But I don't think they'll be called Toa Nuva.

Maybe something like "The Element Lords"? Tahu Lord of Fire has a nice ring to it.

A few of my friends theorized that the half-gold half-trans masks aren't being drained of their power, but are actually becoming more powerful. If this is true, then the Toa's masks might become fully transparent to represent the raw elements.

What would you like the powered-up Toa to look like? (Or what do you think Lego will design?) Would they get new masks or just have recolored old ones? New weapons? New armor pieces? More transparent parts?

Seeing as the Toa are already big sets to begin with, how much bulkier could they even get before everyone becomes a titan?

Though Bionicle could just go the Hero Factory route and have situational upgrades that aren't always more powerful than the last one. Like how Stormer went from being an XL set (the largest hero) in Breakout to a scout-sized set (one of the smallest) in Brain Attack.

In the story we already have Ekimu the mask maker, so the upgrades could be explained pretty simply by just having Ekimu craft new weapons, armor, and masks for the Toa's quest. No need to fall in protodermis or get mutated by venom.

The Chir brothers seem to know Lego's design philosophy pretty well so I'd love their thoughts on this.

(there's another topic about future set designs in general, this is about the Toa specifically and how the reboot will handle upgrades/transformations)

• Upvote 1

I think they would pull a Hero Factory and change their designs completly if they re release the toa. Something tells me that they would also be a Toa of Time (Not Takanuva) which would be either Ekimu or another guy. That Toa of Time (If there is one) would be fuilled with gold.

• Upvote 2

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

There are certainly a number of directions future versions of the Toa could go. In fact, I doubt I can come up with a list that's even nearly comprehensive. But since you mentioned wanting to hear my opinion, I'll go over what I can.

Firstly, let's keep in mind that not everything needs to necessarily be an "upgrade". The ninja of Ninjago change costumes every year (sometimes even MORE frequently), but only a few of those involve gaining more power. In Bionicle, the Toa Mahri were arguably a DOWNGRADE from the Toa Inika in terms of overall power. Changes can be based on a changed context or even just a new appearance, and that kind of change is more sustainable than making the lead characters more powerful with each passing year. But whether or not the character redesigns are an unambiguous "upgrade", there's no doubt that the designs have to scream "new". They can't be made in a way in which they can be confused with past sets.

Will the new Toa get new masks? In the classic theme, that would seem obvious. But the new Toa's masks are tied to their elements. Changing the masks would involve either a power upgrade (which could include just amping up the existing elemental powers, or adding new powers to the existing powers), a power downgrade (potentially like the Toa Nuva's faded masks from when the Nuva symbols were stolen), a power shift (unlikely, but the Toa's elements could conceivably change entirely), or a visual update that is either practical (like the 2013 Hero Factory helmets, which added faceplates to the masks but otherwise kept them largely the same) or purely aesthetic (keeping the same power, like most updates to Ninjago's characters). And if the rest of the Toa's designs were changed substantially enough, they could even keep the same masks, like the 2012 Hero Factory sets, which returned to their original mask designs from 2010. Still, I would think at least the colors would change, given the emphasis on collecting masks. Possibilities for color changes include new colors (none of the masks have appeared in Silver Metallic yet, for instance), a new color blend (a Warm Gold and Silver Metallic blend could certainly be interesting, among other possibilities), or even printed masks (perhaps the same color as the Toa's current masks, but with elemental patterns).

As for the set designs themselves, again, there are many options. The story could change the setting, and give the Toa new looks and equipment to match. The classic theme did this in 2008 and 2009, with underwater and sky=based settings, respectively. These settings could offer just as many options in the new theme, as could others—perhaps the Toa could go underground, gaining Glow-in-the-Dark details? Or even into space, gaining helmets or jets? But of course, another sort of design change could work just as well. There are plenty of visual styles that could work for the Toa—they could be caped wanderers, heavily armored knights, battle-scarred commandos, swashbuckling seafarers... the list goes on and on. So long as the characters' looks are distinct from their original appearances and remain recognizable, the possibilities are practically endless.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Personally, I'm not entirely sure how Toa upgrades would be likely to work. I'm sure it's possible, though. LEGO has managed to impress me with plenty of character upgrades over the years, and lately they've been getting better and better at keeping the characters recognizable after they're upgraded.

As you point out, there are two main types of upgrade: the categorical upgrade, which is an upgrade in the strictest sense (taking the existing characters and making them better), and the situational upgrade, in which the changes are adaptations in response to a particular situation. No matter what they do, I don't think LEGO would need to make the characters considerably bulkier than they already are. For all we know they might even be able to do a "stealth"-themed year where they give the Toa lighter, almost ninja-like armor. Or a sky-themed year where they make the characters more aerodynamic.

I would hope that they will remain true to some of the Toa's proportional differences, like Pohatu and Onua being shorter than the others, Onua being wider than the others, etc, but that's not to say they couldn't change the characters' proportions at all. The 2014 CHI Cragger set is one of the most impressive character upgrades I've seen in recent years, because even though it is shorter than the 2013 version, it is unmistakeably the same character and unmistakeably an enhancement from the previous version.

One possibility for new armor I had considered is some type of shell add-on with a flame-like or lightning-like texture to make the Toa look like they are wreathed in their elements. A blended color could drive the point home even better, kind of like the flame/energy pieces used for so many of the Protectors' weapons. It would certainly fit the BIONICLE theme's fantasy flavor, helping to set it apart from more sci-fi constraction lines like Hero Factory or Star Wars.

More printed armor is also an option. Currently, the only Toa armor that is decorated is their torsos and Kopaka's thighs, but we know that LEGO is capable of printing so many more shell pieces. And if they share some of that printed armor then it wouldn't be a huge strain on the budget. A particular color of armor like silver or gold might not seem like a big upgrade from the many metallic parts on the current Toa sets, but silver or gold armor printed with some sort of mystical runes or enchantments? Now that's getting someplace!

Besides different weapons and armor, another thing LEGO could potentially change is the sets' play features. As cool as a swinging-arm function with the new gearbox can be, we already know that that's not all the LEGO Group is capable of at this kind of price point. Look at Skull Basher's function, for instance, which has his arms swing horizontally rather than vertically. An advantage of this function is that since it is activated by pressing a button rather than spinning a gear, it could work with capes! Capes or robes of some kind might be an awesome way to set the new Toa apart from their previous forms (and would offer a more direct selling point that could be appreciated just by looking at the box).

Story-wise, you're right that having a master craftsman like Ekimu would provide a great excuse to upgrade the characters without having to resort to a magical mutation. They could also always find new magical armor and weapons hidden somewhere on Okoto (like the Exo-Toa armor in 2002). They could also receive new armor from the Protectors as a reward for their services to Okoto — after all, we don't know what kind of trade the villagers of Okoto are involved in, and it's possible that they might be capable of crafting new armor themselves!

In terms of set names, there are a lot of possibilities. You point out the possibility of "Tahu — Lord of Fire", for instance. A name I was contemplating earlier today actually was "Tahu — Champion of Fire". Or even something wilder like "Tahu — Flame Knight", "Gali — Aqua Knight", "Kopaka — Frost Knight" etc. There is something to be said for altering the format of the name so people won't confuse it for the previous year's version of the character.

• Upvote 7

I love Aanchir's idea of an armor piece that looks like flame/lightning. This needs to happen now. And printed rune symbols on armor would also be pretty rad.

As for capes, there are already rumors that some 2016 sets will have capes (and use the Star Wars armor parts). I never really pictured the Toa with capes, but it would make them stand out.

Cave Toa with glow in the dark armor would be neat. I always liked Takadox's GITD pieces. Stealth Toa I could also dig. Ninjago is selling pretty well, so I can see Lego combining the two in a way.

Air Toa, well...they already did that with Phantoka. Unless they look really cool I don't think I'd go for that theme again.

• Upvote 1

A particular color of armor like silver or gold might not seem like a big upgrade from the many metallic parts on the current Toa sets, but silver or gold armor printed with some sort of mystical runes or enchantments? Now that's getting someplace!
I love Aanchir's idea of an armor piece that looks like flame/lightning. This needs to happen now. And printed rune symbols on armor would also be pretty rad.

If I might steal the rune idea and expand on it, I'm picturing shells in each Toa's trans.-color, printed with a neutral metallic color everywhere except the symbols, giving the effect of trans.-color runes over silver/gold. And of course they'd need to do that with the masks, as well. Dunno if it would translate well to real life, but it looks pretty amazing in my head.

• Upvote 1

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

Personally, I'm not entirely sure how Toa upgrades would be likely to work. I'm sure it's possible, though. LEGO has managed to impress me with plenty of character upgrades over the years, and lately they've been getting better and better at keeping the characters recognizable after they're upgraded.

As you point out, there are two main types of upgrade: the categorical upgrade, which is an upgrade in the strictest sense (taking the existing characters and making them better), and the situational upgrade, in which the changes are adaptations in response to a particular situation. No matter what they do, I don't think LEGO would need to make the characters considerably bulkier than they already are. For all we know they might even be able to do a "stealth"-themed year where they give the Toa lighter, almost ninja-like armor. Or a sky-themed year where they make the characters more aerodynamic.

I would hope that they will remain true to some of the Toa's proportional differences, like Pohatu and Onua being shorter than the others, Onua being wider than the others, etc, but that's not to say they couldn't change the characters' proportions at all. The 2014 CHI Cragger set is one of the most impressive character upgrades I've seen in recent years, because even though it is shorter than the 2013 version, it is unmistakeably the same character and unmistakeably an enhancement from the previous version.

One possibility for new armor I had considered is some type of shell add-on with a flame-like or lightning-like texture to make the Toa look like they are wreathed in their elements. A blended color could drive the point home even better, kind of like the flame/energy pieces used for so many of the Protectors' weapons. It would certainly fit the BIONICLE theme's fantasy flavor, helping to set it apart from more sci-fi constraction lines like Hero Factory or Star Wars.

More printed armor is also an option. Currently, the only Toa armor that is decorated is their torsos and Kopaka's thighs, but we know that LEGO is capable of printing so many more shell pieces. And if they share some of that printed armor then it wouldn't be a huge strain on the budget. A particular color of armor like silver or gold might not seem like a big upgrade from the many metallic parts on the current Toa sets, but silver or gold armor printed with some sort of mystical runes or enchantments? Now that's getting someplace!

Besides different weapons and armor, another thing LEGO could potentially change is the sets' play features. As cool as a swinging-arm function with the new gearbox can be, we already know that that's not all the LEGO Group is capable of at this kind of price point. Look at Skull Basher's function, for instance, which has his arms swing horizontally rather than vertically. An advantage of this function is that since it is activated by pressing a button rather than spinning a gear, it could work with capes! Capes or robes of some kind might be an awesome way to set the new Toa apart from their previous forms (and would offer a more direct selling point that could be appreciated just by looking at the box).

Story-wise, you're right that having a master craftsman like Ekimu would provide a great excuse to upgrade the characters without having to resort to a magical mutation. They could also always find new magical armor and weapons hidden somewhere on Okoto (like the Exo-Toa armor in 2002). They could also receive new armor from the Protectors as a reward for their services to Okoto — after all, we don't know what kind of trade the villagers of Okoto are involved in, and it's possible that they might be capable of crafting new armor themselves!

In terms of set names, there are a lot of possibilities. You point out the possibility of "Tahu — Lord of Fire", for instance. A name I was contemplating earlier today actually was "Tahu — Champion of Fire". Or even something wilder like "Tahu — Flame Knight", "Gali — Aqua Knight", "Kopaka — Frost Knight" etc. There is something to be said for altering the format of the name so people won't confuse it for the previous year's version of the character.

I think "knight" sounds too...dramatic and comparing medieval and bio mechanical.

But printed armor will cost more and then the prices will be outrageous.

I think they would pull a Hero Factory and change their designs completly if they re release the toa. Something tells me that they would also be a Toa of Time (Not Takanuva) which would be either Ekimu or another guy. That Toa of Time (If there is one) would be fuilled with gold.

I think I like that idea. ;) 

Edited by Gipsy Danger

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

Time most likely takes the place of light, and instead of white and gold, it's trans blue and gold. *0*

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Time most likely takes the place of light, and instead of white and gold, it's trans blue and gold. *0*

How 'bout DOCTOR WHO time color :D ?

Edited by Gipsy Danger

How 'bout DOCTOR WHO time color :D ?

Maroon and gold? YUS, PLS. THAT'S LIKE MY COLOR SCHEME BRUH!

|

Elemental power-up theme: YES!

Location theme: Maybe not the best idea...

I'd rather have the Toa forms be a standout, not just some new armor and extremely specific and uniform weapons that only serve the purpose for the setting of the year. For example, the Toa Nuva (2002) had several multipurpose themes to them; one could place the team in a different setting and they will still fit in place. The 2008 versions of the Toa, however, had turbines, wings, and jetpacks that would make them stand out if they were thrown into another setting.

• Upvote 3

http://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/O8CcqC5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/kbP5Svg.gif

I think "knight" sounds too...dramatic and comparing medieval and bio mechanical.

Printed parts aren't actually significantly more expensive than any other recolor, at least not if the capability to print those parts already exists, and it's significantly LESS expensive than new molds whether or not the part has been printed before. Many basic CCBS shells can and have been printed: 4M, 5M, and 6M shells, several torso shells, not to mention the printed chest plates most of the Toa already use.

"Pull a Hero Factory" is a funny choice of words. Except for In Hero Factory's second year, every new iteration of Hero Factory's characters did a better job of staying true to the characters' appearances than Bionicle ever did. The 2012 Breakout heroes returned the original heroes to their classic masks and elemental themes while creating new masks for Nex, Evo, and Rocka, with the former two based heavily on their 2.0 debut masks. The 2013 Brain Attack heroes all featured new masks, which heavily resembled their 2012 masks. Even last year's "mini-heroes" had masks based on those iconic designs from the previous two years. All in all, that's a stronger track record for recognizability than any Toa team from the classic theme can lay claim to.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Printed parts aren't actually significantly more expensive than any other recolor, at least not if the capability to print those parts already exists, and it's significantly LESS expensive than new molds whether or not the part has been printed before. Many basic CCBS shells can and have been printed: 4M, 5M, and 6M shells, several torso shells, not to mention the printed chest plates most of the Toa already use.

"Pull a Hero Factory" is a funny choice of words. Except for In Hero Factory's second year, every new iteration of Hero Factory's characters did a better job of staying true to the characters' appearances than Bionicle ever did. The 2012 Breakout heroes returned the original heroes to their classic masks and elemental themes while creating new masks for Nex, Evo, and Rocka, with the former two based heavily on their 2.0 debut masks. The 2013 Brain Attack heroes all featured new masks, which heavily resembled their 2012 masks. Even last year's "mini-heroes" had masks based on those iconic designs from the previous two years. All in all, that's a stronger track record for recognizability than any Toa team from the classic theme can lay claim to.

That's what makes the sets boring, though. I don't want to buy duplicate sets every year. I don't have a problem per-say with 'staying true to the characters', as long as there are significant changes. 

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Have you seen some of their sets, there THAT expensive.

Some of whose sets? I'm not sure what you're talking about. LEGO was able to include unique printed parts in the $7 Hero Factory hero sets in 2011 and the $10 beast sets in 2014. I see no reason they couldn't include printed shells in a $15 Toa set (just like they already do for chest plates), especially if some of those printed shells had shared designs between sets like those of the 2014 Chima constraction sets. And as my brother points out, printed shells may cost money, but not nearly as much money as new molds. I can't think of any reason including a few printed shells on each Toa would require raising their prices.

• Upvote 2

As for capes, there are already rumors that some 2016 sets will have capes (and use the Star Wars armor parts). I never really pictured the Toa with capes, but it would make them stand out.

Y'know, the more I look at those rumours you mention here, the more I think that the kid got mixed up and mistook a Star Wars figure for a Bionicle - capes, the leg armour piece and the torso design all look like stuff that's on the Star Wars figures, rather than anything we'd see in Bionicle. But I digress.

I'm hoping the Toa will be upgraded with much more ornamental, much like the fire team in the 2014 Chima Ultrabuilds. This could play in with them getting more in touch with their elemental powers or whatnot. Maybe also some more elemental elements to their armour - Gali could have seaweed/coral on her armour, Kopaka could gain spikes of ice, and Tahu could have flames sputtering around his neck.

What I'd hate is for them to become uniform in design though, as diversity in design is what really made this first iteration of the G2 Toa. 

Edited by Logan McOwen

I think the upgraded Toa will most likely look like hero factory characters with gold or silver.  Or something entirely different, maybe they will do the karate chop Hordika arm with an upgraded mechanism.

What if they were to design some new toa and give the ultrabuild system an upgrade: more colors, a better covered frame, Technic connections, and shells with a touch of detail instead of printed plates or stickers.  That is how I would do it.

• Upvote 1

If you don't like people that use their head and stand up to bullies, then you may not like me because I deal with bullies head on!  

Some of whose sets? I'm not sure what you're talking about. LEGO was able to include unique printed parts in the $7 Hero Factory hero sets in 2011 and the $10 beast sets in 2014. I see no reason they couldn't include printed shells in a $15 Toa set (just like they already do for chest plates), especially if some of those printed shells had shared designs between sets like those of the 2014 Chima constraction sets. And as my brother points out, printed shells may cost money, but not nearly as much money as new molds. I can't think of any reason including a few printed shells on each Toa would require raising their prices.

Lego's hf and WAY more.  2.0's and 3.0's had the printed parts, but costs $10 and the first ones were 7 and 9 dollars. 4.0 hf guys had new packaging and printed parts and costs at least $15 due to Packaging and parts.  Yes, I know I said that part twice. 

Ok, something's wrong with the system.  I am not yelling.  But I KNOW there is a glitch in the system.

Edited by Gipsy Danger

Lego's hf and WAY more.

Ok, something's wrong with the system.  I am not yelling.  But I KNOW there is a glitch in the system.

STOP. SCREAMING. IN. MY. HEAD.

• Upvote 3

|

Since Time is going to be a central focus in G2 I can see something along the lines of a bronze-ish feel to the Toa's new designs. Maybe they get some kind of downgrade that brings them back to their power level prior to landing on Okoto with their designs being altered to how they used to look in the past/space waiting to be summoned. That keeps the Mask the same design while having the okay to make a whole new figure, perhaps a bit more primitive & thin as opposed to the armored look they have now. They could have that be part of the story: their armor & bodied rust due to time-plot shennanigans & end up making them faster but more fragile. They then spend most of 2016 this way trying to get a new form, most likely one with a silver build, which we'll get in 2017.

Edited by newbrick93
  • Upvote 1

Lego's hf and WAY more.

Blame the glitch in the system, not me.

Lego's hf and WAY more.

Blame the glitch in the system, not me.

Okay, so there IS a glitch in the system that's making my font all caps.

Edited by Gipsy Danger
  • Upvote 1

May I please ask you to not have so many quotes in your posts when responding to someone? It makes my computer lag and it's really quite a chore to scroll through what we've already read time and time again.

• Upvote 4

May I please ask you to not have so many quotes in your posts when responding to someone? It makes my computer lag and it's really quite a chore to scroll through what we've already read time and time again.

Dude, I just do it.  It looks neat and it tells you what you're commenting on.

There's no system glitch. You set this up yourself. Go here and turn off Small-Caps.

It was already like that when I joined, so to speak.  So there was no way I could've set this up myself, so this is...another  X FILE*insert X files theme song in here*.  but my font is back to normal anyway, so thank you.

There's no system glitch. You set this up yourself. Go here and turn off Small-Caps.

It was already like that when I joined, so to speak.  So there was no way I could've set this up myself, so this is...another  X FILE*insert X files theme song in here*.  but my font is back to normal anyway, so thank you.

And its not working*sigh*...

YOU'RE MAKING MY HEAD HURT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

YOU'RE MAKING MY HEAD HURT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

@Everyone except mods, Quit saying rude stuff like that to me.  Get over it.  I already told you guys that I am not yelling and something is wrong with the text so please stop.  Now for being BACK, back on topic: I still think Lego could use more and detailed parts along with a steam punk kind of feel for them.

Something tells me you ignored this on purpose.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Something tells me you ignored this on purpose.

Seriously?  Why would I?  And whats the point of doing that...?

If we get upgraded/different forms with more transparent colors and pieces that represent elements,Omega Tahu could become cannon  :smiletahunu:  make it happen.

Wow, I actually forgot about the whole Omega Tahu thing until you mentioned it.

I would expect the new Toa to have one or more of the following:

• MORE SILVER/GOLD/TITANIUM or...
  • ...Transparent parts. Lots and lots of transparent parts
  • Printed parts, especially masks
  • New masks, either in color, print, or in a new design entirely
  • Some of the new Star Wars Constraction parts, as well as some of the techniques they use, such as how they cover up the back of the lower legs using the IFB legs and System parts.
  • Gear functions again or some other new function-thingy
  • Small trinkets to replace this year's Skull Spiders and golden masks

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.