Ninjago & Clutch Powers?

I was just looking at some of the LEGO Dimensions figures, and the caption on one was "Great Scott! My legs are detachable!"

That got me thinking. Cole mentioned an explorer named Clutch Powers back during the Serpentine story, right? They exist in the same universe, then.

Now, let's think back to 2010 and the Clutch Powers movie. In it, the characters were capable of switching out their hair/headgear, as well as dismantling their bodies (as repeatedly shown by Bernie). 

Also, Clutch recognizes the names of LEGO parts, and recognizes that his people are called "Minifigs."

If this is the case, then why don't any of these seem to apply to Ninjago? I get that it's likely just a throwaway line to tie the stories together, but it still does make one wonder just how much carries over from one story to the other.

What do you think?

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I've actually been curious about this for a while now, it could be that possibly the Minifigs of Ninjago are a rare subspecies, more alive, meaning that they can't be taken apart such as Bernie and the likes, and that Ninjago was one of the worlds Clutch visited in his travels, Ninjago as we see it, might actually take place a good deal of time after the Clutch Powers film, how long, depends on whether or not Clutch was with his team when he came to Ninjago, and also on how long the Fang Cup has been used as the trophy.

It's just an easter egg, guys. No need to get all concerned about canon.

In addition, keep in mind that different rules apply to different Lego media. I have little doubt that the upcoming Ninjago movie will feature much more building, rebuilding, and brick-based humor than the Ninjago TV series even if the characters (and possibly even universe) are ostensibly the same.

A good example of another "canon" with these kinds of rules are the Mario games. Mario has starred in all sorts of games, from sports games to platformers to RPGs. But Mario gaining the ability to fold into a paper airplane in one game doesn't mean that he can do that across all media. The medium comes with its own rules and visual language.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

As others have said, Clutch Powers existing in the Ninjago universe doesn't mean that the Ninjago universe and the universe in The Adventures of Clutch Powers are one and the same. It could just as easily be that Clutch Powers exists as a character in multiple universes. Consider how Ninjago characters appeared in LEGO Dimensions, LEGO Universe, and The LEGO Movie, but each of those universes had their own continuity and their own "rules". Likewise, we know the Toa Mata exist in at least one of the worlds from The LEGO Movie, but that does not mean the entire BIONICLE storyline exists in The LEGO Movie's universe, just that both universes happen to include versions of those characters.

Having separate continuities like this isn't unique to LEGO, either — consider how many different versions of Batman there have been between different media. The LEGO Movie's Batman is not the 1960s Batman TV show's Batman, who is in turn not the Dark Knight Trilogy's Batman. Taking crossovers and shout-outs too seriously (specifically, people getting hysterical about Batman and the Joker appearing in the cartoon Static Shock) is what inspired Dwayne McDuffie to come up with his Grand Unification Theory of Television, a satirical essay that points out what ridiculousness can ensue when you try to apply this kind of thinking to live-action television.

• Upvote 2

So we're going with a LEGO multiverse theory? I'm down with that.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.