Lawyer at Leisure

~kh

Life, death, power, riches

All are but commodities

Bartered with at will

For the highest bidder

Pays the highest price

cDYIehK.png

So, six years and two days ago, I launched my first comic series, Live, Learn and Lawsuits.

I loved doing it. I've always loved comics, and doing my own comic series allowed me to dabble in that kind of visual storytelling, as well as teach me valuable image editing skills, and eventually led to my current job over at the TTV Podcast.

But I eventually grew tired of it come around 2012. Part of it was that my series was built around the cliches and storytelling gimmicks that the 2009 Comics Forum (then known as Artwork III) saw in abundance. It tried to be subversive and edgy, breaking the fourth wall, poking fun at what other newer comic makers would do, but ultimately it was just one giant reference to a joke that didn't exist anymore.

The other part was the BZPower Archive. So many of my first interactions with friends and co-workers could be found in the pages of that old site. When the archive vanished, so did a lot of that history. It kind of felt like years of my life had been wiped away. The new comics forum was mostly what I had hoped for (no revival limit, a forum mod eager to listen and work with comic makers), but it didn't feel the same anymore.

But I always wanted to come back. And I always wanted to try something new. Eventually, I started toiling away at concepts for a new series, one that didn't need the established culture around it to make sense or be funny. Something a bit more self-contained, a little more serious, still Bionicle-inspired, but one that could be picked up by anyone, Bionicle fan or no, and still make a framework of sense.

I don't know if I've succeeded, and I don't know if I'll even continue with what I've done. I have a bad habit of not being able to finish comics that I've started. I've decided to follow a wholly different style than the one I was used to back in the day, both visually and in the way I introduce the story, and hopefully it might look like something you guys would want to keep up with.

As always, but especially because I'm doing a whole new style of thing, feedback is really important to me here. I'd like to see what you guys would have to say. Consider this a kind of "pitch" comic, to gage people's reaction. I've got a lot written up that I'd eventually like to share onscreen, as well as commentary I'd like to put forward.

Today's my birthday, and I'm 20 years old. I guess it's my turn to give a gift.

Welcome to Lawyer at Leisure.

Prelude

Page One | Page Two | Page Three | Page Four | Page Five | Page Six

Credits

Dark709 | Gerlicky | Soran | Janaro | Bladeran | Gavla

Sprites

Jonathan Hickman | Brian Michael Bendis | Brian K. Vaughan | Grant Morrison

Inspiration

Edited by TTVKahi

Hey, it's nice to see your work around the comics section again. I'm excited to see how this series possibly progresses. Since I'm posting right now from a phone, I'm going to try to keep this comment simple.

First in terms of graphic quality, your series never fail to amaze. This simpler, more pixelated style is no exception. The mixture between the simple, pixelated objects and scenery in contrast to the exceptional effects works out great! Nicely done as usual. I also noticed how you made the kit look simpler or less busy by reducing the shading or by making the shading colors closer. This is a little detail that really helped tie the characters with the objects around them. You've got a great eye for detail.

Next, the layout of the comic works out great and I never felt lost or wondering which panel to go to next. I will mention, however, that there is a spelling error in the 4th page, 6th panel. It's the word "follow". Just thought I would mention that in case it weren't to late to edit and fix it.

I will say that in terms of the story itself, I felt lost. But at the same time I'm running off of barely any sleep at the moment so maybe it's just me. I'll have to reread it after I've gotten some sleep. Of what I understood, I did feel like the transition in the comic worked well.

Of the part I got lost at, I feel like I just don't understand the setting and each of the characters relevancy to the story. I'm not sure if that was explained in the story and I just missed it or if it was intentionally left vague. I felt like still reading on because I wanted to understand what was happening and because of the nice visuals. This is once again from a tired person's perspective and I most likely missed some important clue.

Either way, I look forward to seeing more, and I wish you the best of luck.

~Soran

Edit: I failed.

Edited by Soran
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Now this is something I've been waiting for. Oh yes.

When you first told me what was coming I was.. conflicted. I knew you could pull it off but.. it had been so long.

You impressed me as you use to before.

A trick very few can do these days.

Mhm.

Hehe. This is going to be a fun time and I am so very excited to see what you have planned.

A story I know will be a hit. With characters that will tug the heart strings and bring about a new.. darker age.

Oh yes.

A wonderful series is starting. Now all it needs is a Hat.

lovewarconga2.png