• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Birth of a Legend

Kopaka Garrys Mod

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PeabodySam

PeabodySam
  • Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 03-September 04
  • 5,096 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 08 2015 - 07:00 PM

"I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined.  Now I am whole.  And the darkness cannot stand before me."

kopakathumb.png

Thanks to the hard work of Xiron, Garry's Mod and Source Film Maker finally have a ton of LEGO models to play around with, without having to resort to work-arounds such as my earlier Toa of Light.  I'm hoping to make some big pictures with these new assets in the future, but for now, I wanted to celebrate the birth of this new GMod era with a homage to another era's birth.

This is a recreation of the full-page splash panel of Kopaka from the very first BIONICLE comic drawn by Carlos D'Anda, using models from BIONICLE: The Game, Half-Life 2, and the "Legend of the Toa" Skyrim mod on the GM_BigIsland map.  Of course, the BIONICLE: The Game model for Kopaka doesn't hold a candle to the sheer legendary awe invoked by D'Anda's work, but unless/until custom Toa models come out, this is the best that we can use.

Also, even though I'm aware that a much higher-poly version of the Kanohi Akaku was released for GMod (modeled, if I'm not mistaken, by the same person who modeled the "Legend of the Toa" weapons), I stuck with the BIONICLE: The Game Akaku because it better fit the artstyle of the rest of the model.  Again, if a whole high-poly Toa Mata was released, then I'd change my mind, but until such a day...

Still, despite the graphical limitations of the model, I tried to spruce it up a bit with some dynamic lighting and glow effects to better recreate the original image.  Everything you see here was done directly in GMod, since I don't have access to Photoshop on this computer.  If my computer didn't vehemently despise Source Engine water effects with a passion and crash GMod every few minutes on this map, I'm sure I could have done even more.  Nonetheless, I'm very satisfied with the end result.

Once again, big thanks to Xiron for making this possible.

I hope you enjoyed this journey back in time to the beginning of BIONICLE.  Comments and constructive criticism are appreciated.

#2 Offline The Hip Historian Iaredios

The Hip Historian Iaredios
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,834 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 08:17 AM

Grr! it won't load all the way! The picture keeps stopping with half of the mask. From what little I see and the info you ahve given, it sounds/looks pretty great! I can imagine that it would have taken a long time to do this, good thing that porting the model from the game saved you some time.

line.gif

mqdefault.jpg

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo (HEAD DEVELOPER) | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Farts are just the ghosts of that which we ate                                                               -                                                                 D r e a m s. They're the hurricanes that wash the soul-filth from the super-dome of the night-mind.

#3 Offline PeabodySam

PeabodySam
  • Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 03-September 04
  • 5,096 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 29 2015 - 09:55 AM

Grr! it won't load all the way! The picture keeps stopping with half of the mask.

Really?  Hmm, this is concerning.  If it's a problem with the host website, then perhaps this Brickshelf reupload will work better for you.  If it's a problem with file size, then maybe the smaller preview image will load for you (though you'll have to deal with grainy JPEG compression as a result).  Please let me know if either of these options are viable.

#4 Offline Akavakaku

Akavakaku
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 20-April 14
  • 1,314 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 01 2015 - 04:12 PM

Excellent recreation of this iconic shot!

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

#5 Offline Hidron Nuva

Hidron Nuva
  • Members
  • Encountering Protodermis

• 05-February 08
  • 898 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 28 2015 - 12:55 PM

Wonderful! And nostalgic. I've always wondered if there was a way to extract the data from the Bionicle games/stuff!

hidron_nuva_idea.png

#6 Offline Ta-metru_defender

Ta-metru_defender
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Blog Assistants
  • Senior Staff

• 26-December 03
  • 10,984 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Oct 28 2015 - 10:07 PM

Oh, neat. It's really cool to see those assets reused. Best part though is how well you captured the original image, down to the lighting and all. Nice work man, nice work.

I still believe we can live forever
You and I we begin forever now

2dioq5j.jpg

I still believe in us together
You and I we're here together now

#7 Offline tourmalinex

tourmalinex
  • Members
  • Toa

• 16-September 15
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted Oct 28 2015 - 10:42 PM

Hi , I recently found a full toa model in the dept of the internet on a random file sharing site.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users