PACIFIC RIM Topic

This is the place where you can talk about Pacific Rim's movies, comics, action figures, and any other information for the upcoming products and anything else about it.  You may begin, of course.

Edited by -Windrider-

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

Hey there,

Official topics are officialized in COT by staff only, so I've removed that bit from the title to avoid confusion. Otherwise, though, this topic is completely fine, of course, so feel free to get discussing.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 2

Hey there,

Official topics are officialized in COT by staff only, so I've removed that bit from the title to avoid confusion. Otherwise, though, this topic is completely fine, of course, so feel free to get discussing.

Oh, sorry.

Wait, there's a comic? I loved the movie, but source material is usually as good if not better than big screen debuts so may have to check that out! I saw sme of the kaiju figures on ebay a while ago and they look pretty cool, would make great desk mascots I reckon ;)

Since we have a topic specifically for the franchise maybe I'll whine about the bit of the movie I didn't like while we're here. SPOILERS obviously :P

So near the end when they go down to the wormhole thing there are two Jaegers right? One with the bossguy who is terminal anyway and the ginger kid from Eastenders (uk reference) If memory serves they sacrifice themselves by detonating their nuclear payload and noone bothers even trying to get out first. Later though, at the climax, they actually take the other jaeger right through the wormhole to detonate in in the alien dimension. Not only is the pilot able to jetison his unconscious co-pilot safely out of the jaeger AND through the wormhole to safety, he's also able to somehow escape himself as well after having to manually initiate the destruct sequence. 

So why on earth did the kid in the other Jaeger not also eject??? The old man was going to die anyway but that kid could have EASILY escaped and therefore died for no reason... Boy gone done a Matoro...

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Raleigh and Mako survived because they made it back through the rift before Gipsy exploded. Chuck and Pentecost didn't have much time to make the decision, so the likelihood that Chuck would've been able to eject and get out of the bomb's range in time are slim. Plus, that'd still be a massive shockwave and I doubt the escape pod would've protected him.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Wait, there's a comic? I loved the movie, but source material is usually as good if not better than big screen debuts so may have to check that out!

The comic was inspired by the film's story rather than the other way around. For now I think the only one is Tales From Year Zero which functions as a prequel, but I wouldn't be surprised if more came along at some point.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Wait, there's a comic? I loved the movie, but source material is usually as good if not better than big screen debuts so may have to check that out!

The comic was inspired by the film's story rather than the other way around. For now I think the only one is Tales From Year Zero which functions as a prequel, but I wouldn't be surprised if more came along at some point.

Ah shame, got excited then :P 

Not sure I'm convinced bfahome, seems like they should have had plenty of time to get away. Gipsy managed to find time to not only get them clear of the blastwave but also shoot them clear into another dimension before it 'sploded... Seem's like it was just a fixed point settled upon by the writers for some reason, it certainly didn't feel very meaningful to me though. Much more like a waste than a sacrifice...

Not sure I'm convinced bfahome, seems like they should have had plenty of time to get away. Gipsy managed to find time to not only get them clear of the blastwave but also shoot them clear into another dimension before it 'sploded... Seem's like it was just a fixed point settled upon by the writers for some reason, it certainly didn't feel very meaningful to me though. Much more like a waste than a sacrifice...

There's a difference between pushing a button to detonate a bomb and overloading Gipsy's core to explode.  Besides, what's the main priority here, saving one person or potentially ending the Kaiju war?  Neither Stacker nor Chuck's focus is going to be on escaping, it's going to be on clearing the way for Gipsy to get through the rift.  They strapped a bomb to their Jaeger; they all know there's a high likelihood that they won't survive.

If anything, you're arguing in the wrong direction here.  The pilots went into this fight to attempt sealing the rift.  When it came down to it, Raleigh had to detonate Gipsy to do it.  So why did he focus on getting Mako out of harm's way?  Why did he also eject rather than staying to make sure it detonated?  All of the other Jaeger pilots in the film died with their Jaegers, so why is he suddenly all about self-preservation?  The answer, of course, is because they're the main characters, and killing the main characters you're spent a whole movie developing is a bad idea if you want people to stay interested in your franchise.

• Upvote 1

OpAXNpl.jpg

If anything, you're arguing in the wrong direction here.  The pilots went into this fight to attempt sealing the rift.  When it came down to it, Raleigh had to detonate Gipsy to do it.  So why did he focus on getting Mako out of harm's way?  Why did he also eject rather than staying to make sure it detonated?  All of the other Jaeger pilots in the film died with their Jaegers, so why is he suddenly all about self-preservation?  The answer, of course, is because they're the main characters, and killing the main characters you're spent a whole movie developing is a bad idea if you want people to stay interested in your franchise.

Very good point actually. I guess what bothers me is the fact that the two teams seem to have different endings for no apparent reason. Both teams could conceivably have survived but you're right, their mission was more important so in reality it made more sense that they stayed. Suddenly the hero doesn't seem like such a hero anymore does he! Perhaps what would have been better is if there had been an actual noble sacrifice while at the same time saving someone else. The boss should have ejected the ginge before blowing up his bomb (it's fiction so they could've made it work!) and the hero should have stayed with his jaeger after ejecting the chick :P

Wait, there's a comic? I loved the movie, but source material is usually as good if not better than big screen debuts so may have to check that out! I saw sme of the kaiju figures on ebay a while ago and they look pretty cool, would make great desk mascots I reckon ;)

Since we have a topic specifically for the franchise maybe I'll whine about the bit of the movie I didn't like while we're here. SPOILERS obviously :P

So near the end when they go down to the wormhole thing there are two Jaegers right? One with the bossguy who is terminal anyway and the ginger kid from Eastenders (uk reference) If memory serves they sacrifice themselves by detonating their nuclear payload and noone bothers even trying to get out first. Later though, at the climax, they actually take the other jaeger right through the wormhole to detonate in in the alien dimension. Not only is the pilot able to jetison his unconscious co-pilot safely out of the jaeger AND through the wormhole to safety, he's also able to somehow escape himself as well after having to manually initiate the destruct sequence. 

So why on earth did the kid in the other Jaeger not also eject??? The old man was going to die anyway but that kid could have EASILY escaped and therefore died for no reason... Boy gone done a Matoro...

TWO comics.  Tales from year zero and Coming soon is Tales from the DRIFT.  I also heard that an ANTEVERSE Gipsy Danger is coming out this June and a FLYING OTACHI coming in July.  They are made by Neca.

Go to THIS website to find out more about Pacific Rim:

https://sites.google.com/site/pacificrimdatabase/home

Edited by Gipsy Danger