The Isle of Malkhar

GitHub page here

Please pester me about this.  I really want to make a game and Adventure Posts seems pretty much dead in terms of interest.  So yeah, pester me, keep me on track, and tell me what you think.

It's also one of my few projects that isn't directly Bionicle-related =P

This is all very much in the early parts of development.  I don't have any real game to show you yet.  I don't even have real sprites, so I'm asking for your thoughts on the concept.  Once again:  The more you pester me, the more details I'll give.  That's not to say I have the whole thing planned out now and am just holding it back, but your comments force me to think, write down ideas, and post them here.  If something sounds like I just made it up on the fly, rest assured: it probably was.

-Jaga

Edited by evil_jaga_genius
  • Upvote 1

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest

I'm not too big of a fan of fantasy that has magic be an everyday sort of thing, and I also tend to have a liking to fantasy the deals in sort of divine influence. Only series that i seem to enjoy that utilizes day-to-day magic is Elder Scrolls. Is there anything pertaining to lore that might strike my fancy, such as the development of divinities, be they minor of major appearances, maybe only mentions?

Religion plays a major role in the development of people's character and identity, having such influences in a story could add immersion rather then saying a necromancer pops and causes trouble where there is not sacred god-given law that says that that is evil in the first place.  The inclusion of Earth might pose problems for people trying to relate to it, so maybe instead of actual divinities the inclusion of extremely powerful mortals, such as Bionicle's Great Beings, could be used as a source of power and maybe some cults or populations regard these peoples as gods of the sorts.

Just food for thought.   :)

Oh, and another thing, I think that this topic would be better suited for Off-Topic Culture.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I'm not too big of a fan of fantasy that has magic be an everyday sort of thing, and I also tend to have a liking to fantasy the deals in sort of divine influence. Only series that i seem to enjoy that utilizes day-to-day magic is Elder Scrolls.

I was really thinking of Bionicle when I came up with the idea "Everyone can use magic".  Though it's a skill like anything else.  Anyone can use magic but most people don't control it very well, people who practice with it and build it up are the wizards.

Also I forgot to mention something:  Malkhar is a lot like earth, in terms of technology and science and all that.  It's just they have magic along with that.  So Malkhar and Earth meeting would be less chaotic than one might think.

Religion plays a major role in the development of people's character and identity, having such influences in a story could add immersion rather then saying a necromancer pops and causes trouble where there is not sacred god-given law that says that that is evil in the first place.

There have been previous necromancers.  The reason they're considered evil is the fact they age so fast.  In order to live a normal lifespan, they have to use their power to leech off the life of others (They could live forever as long as they had people to leech off of).  That, and controlling life and death so naturally would cause them to go power-mad.  Eventually the people of Malkhar realized no good would come of a necromancer, so whenever they find some they try to kill them.  Mendumen ran and hid until he had enough power to defend himself, so that's how he survived.

I'm not sure what Malkhar's religion would be, or even if it has one at all.  Since everyone can use magic, it seems like the line between a god and an ordinary person is much more blurry.

Another thought:  In the Narnia books, you don't see any churches or anything or any organized religion (Well, excluding the Calormenes) but it seems like everyone does know who Aslan is and worships him.  Just not in the temples and cathedrals you would expect.  Maybe that's the feeling I'm going for with Malkhar.

Oh, and another thing, I think that this topic would be better suited for Off-Topic Culture.

I swear the editor said "Posting in Off-Topic Culture"...

• 1 month later...

I feel obligated at this moment to inform you that the GitHub page has a more-or-less working demo of the magic system.  It's very, very rough but at least you should have an idea of how combat works.  Run any of the Python files other than "Main.py" to start it.  At least it can only get better from here =P I'll try to compile a Windows .exe if I'm not too busy.

So, let me summarize this for you:

-Crummy artwork

-No NPCs or enemies

-Two rooms

-One spell

-A whole lot of bugs

The idea for magic is taken from the Spinjitzu Smash games.  The idea is that your spellbook acts like a sixty-card deck, as soon as you cast a spell, its slot is empty for a certain "recharge time" then is replaced by a random spell from the deck.  It's not obvious, seeing as though there's only one spell, but the code IS there.

Anyhow, the controls:

Arrow keys: move the player

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6: Cast spell

Tell me what you think!

-Jaga