Star Wars Episode VII Constraction Figure Revealed

Mark your calendars for July 8 through 12, when San Diego Comic Con takes place - that's when we'll get a full look at all the toys for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Head over to /Film to check out an image of the first Episode VII LEGO set, a constraction version of the New Order Stormtrooper. Hasbro, Mattel, and LEGO have revealed their versions of the character in advance of the show, saying the rest will be displayed at the event. The toys will go out for sale starting September 4th, and you can expect there to be lots of lines and publicity stunts this fall surrounding them.

View the full article

I'm definitely going to keep this sealed once I get my hands on it.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I just noticed the small armor piece on the back of the calves.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I really like the design of its helmet and blaster. Both of them look really cool IMO. 

I may get this one, though General Grievous is the set I'm getting first out of this line of Star Wars sets.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Unless this costs more than $20 (which I doubt because of the obvious shortcuts in the feet that weren't filled in like Luke's and Vader's- an easy fix with existing parts) this will be the first Star Wars constraction figure I buy. The others I thought were either sort of lackluster or way too overpriced to justify purchasing. The sleek white of this one means that it doesn't suffer from the color distribution issues like Cody and Jango, the head looks really good (Lego's head molds are getting fantastic, especially compared to the early Super Heroes and Ben 10 ones), the blaster looks great (I could see them incorporating this into new Bionicle sets, the blaster element looks like it might have been designed for that use), the sidearm is a cool touch and again shows how well Lego is able to create these Star Wars blasters with technic elements, and it's overall a great looking figure.

However, while this doesn't bother me personally at all, some people might dislike this set just because there are very few new elements or recolors, as well as that the build is nearly identical to Jango and Cody. While it's fine for the individual sets, the fact that all these clone characters are literally clones of each other, and the fact that Luke and Obi-Wan use similar builds as well, shows the severe limits of the already-generic ccbs and could really hurt these sets in the long run (while these Star Wars figures look great, they sort of show the problem of making humans and other characters with a system that wasn't really designed for them, and show how the more creative designs like 2015 Bionicles are better suited to ccbs). For instance, I wondered if at some point they would make a c-3po figure (I doubt it given Lego's obsession with having to give each figure huge weapons, to the point of giving Iron Man a War Machine cannon), but I think the problem with that would be that aside from a new head, they'd probably just recolor a standard ccbs figure for him. Whatever, in Vader and Grievous they've shown creative designs that really help bring out the characters (for instance, the great torso shaping on Vader), so presumably these Star Wars figures have legs. I really wish they'd throttle back on the ridiculous prices, but unfortunately that's not going to happen.

Of course this means that if they are focusing the constraction budget on these Star Wars figures, Bionicle will once again get short shrift like I think it has in the summer 2015 wave. I think if you're going to make Star Wars figures better to do them well and also better to have them come out near the film's release, so I don't mind so much, but hopefully the 2016 Bionicles are decent as well (and if they're good designs I won't mind not so many figures or new parts). Hopefully the summer 2016 Bionicle wave really rocks though, once Star Wars is out of the way.

Also FYI it's the First Order, not the New Order, easy mistake.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

• 1 month later...