How Do Ninjago Elements Work?

Zeb

EDIT: Updated my theory with more info/alterations.

EDIT 2: Having seen some of the new episodes, I feel I can revise the list a bit again. It also seems that I had forgotten to put Mind on the list of secondary elements

So with the recent revelations that Fire, Earth, Lightning, and Ice are NOT the only elements, and that Wind is apparently an element, I'm a little curious as to how Ninjago elements actually WORK. Since there are (as for as we know) only 4 golden weapons, that would seem to imply that fire, earth, lightning, and ice are the main elements. Does that mean other elements are derived from those elements? Do the "secondary" elements make up the main ones or do the main ones combine to make the secondary ones? Is Wind even an element? How do golden power, creation, darkness, and destruction fit into all of this? Can any four elements combine to form Creation (as in either Mega-Weapon or Tornado of Creation), or does it require the four "main" elements? What are your theories or opinions? Post them below! My theory is this:

All elements can be used in Spinjitzu and Airjitzu, although Wind is rather redundant in both, though it is possible that Wind Spinjitzu/Airjitzu is more powerful than other elements, in terms of how much "Elemental power" there is.

The ninjas' elements (minus Lloyd) are the main elements, and other elements are combinations of them. Light & Shadow (Used by the Elemental Masters) are distinct from Creation & Destruction, the supposed elements of Sensei Wu and the formerly evil Lord Garmadon, until he turned good. It is possible that Lord Garmadon was using Shadow in the pilot episodes when he did the whole Kai VS. Garmadon Fire Temple battle. And during that episode where Lord Garmadon is staying on the Destiny Bounty on the search for Lloyd, he appears to use a dark form of lightning at one point, which is obviously not a Shadow power, and therefore might be a Destruction power, especially when you see his Spinjitzu character card which depicts his element as being Destruction and showing him using dark lightning. Then we have Golden Power and Darkness/EVIL, the former being used by Lloyd until the events of Rebooted, and the latter being used by the Overlord. These could be the same as Creation and Destruction, though they appear to be much more powerful. My theory on the combinations is as follows:

HIGH-POWER SUPER ELEMENTS

• Golden Power - Ultimate combination of all 4 main elements and possibly also Light. A rare higher-power form of Creation + Green Power/Energy - Used by Lloyd (during the Golden Ninja era) and First Spinjitzu Master.
  • Darkness/EVIL - Probably a higher-power form of Destruction that is possibly a dark, unbalanced combination of the 4 main elements and possibly also Shadow. Used by the Overlord.

LOWER-POWER SUPER ELEMENTS

• Creation - An equal balance of the 4 main elements. Low-power version of Golden Power. Used by Sensei Wu and Sensei Garmadon. Lloyd possibly uses a more powerful form of Creation, allowing him to fire balls of green energy from his hands and create things out of thin air (like the motorcycle he made in "The Titanium Ninja"), as well as transform existing vehicles (like the 4-wheeled vehicle in "Ninja Roll"). It is possible this is because Sensei Wu's Creation is the same level of power as the ninja of the 4 main elements, meaning he is not a master of any one element, and Lloyd's is equal to the full power of all 4 elements combined.
  • Destruction - An out-of-balance combination of the 4 main elements. Used by evil Lord Garmadon and probably the Overlord. Possibly a low-power version of Darkness/EVIL.
  • (?) Energy/Green Power - Lloyd's ability to shoot green balls of energy doesn't appear to be a power that Sensei Wu or Garmadon have, so it is possible that Lloyd's Creation element includes some sort of additional power allowing him to do this. This appears to be a lower-power version of the golden balls of energy in Golden Power. It could be its own element or just the offensive side of Lloyd's Creation element.

PRIMARY ELEMENTS

• Fire - Kai
  • Ice - Zane
  • Earth - Cole
  • Lightning - Jay

SECONDARY ELEMENTS

• Sound - Jacob Pevsner
  • Speed - Griffin Turner
  • Gravity - Gravis
  • Mind - Neuro
  • Poison - Tox
  • Metal - Karlof
  • Water - Nya, Lar (if canon)
  • Smoke - Ash
  • Nature - Bolobo
  • Form - Chamille
  • Light - Paleman
  • Shadow - Shade
  • Amber/Absorption - Skylor (now lost)
  • Wind - Morro

It can be really confusing to understand the elements involving light and darkness, good and evil. Light & Shadow are confirmed to be elements, though they are apparently different from the elements of Creation and Destruction, Sensei Wu using the former and Lord Garmadon using the latter. And then you have to throw in the Golden Ninja Lloyd's Golden Power, as well as the Overlord's Darkness/Evil power. Golden Power does not appear to be the same as Creation, and the same applies for Destruction and Darkness/Overlord Power. And then Lloyd's Green Power is there. At first I thought this was a separate element from Creation and possibly a weaker form of Golden Power, but I had forgotten about that scene in "The Titanium Ninja" where he creates a motorcycle out of thin air, which means that he does in fact use the element of Creation, albeit at a much higher power level than Sensei Wu, as he is able to create balls of energy to use as a weapon.

So yeah, this is all very confusing. What do you think? What are your theories? Feel free to discuss them here!

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 3

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I think that fire, earth, ice, and lightning are the four elements that the fist spinjitzu master used to create Ninjago, but when he created the elemental masters, the four elements weren't't enough to protect him, and he created more, unrelated to the first four. Lloyd's green power is a combination of the four, and golden energy is either a higher power of green energy, or green energy combined with the rest of the elements.

The 2011 website established that Sensei Wu's element of Creation and Lord Garmadon's element of Destruction are both composed of the four main elements, but Wu's Creation element has all four elements in balance and Lord Garmadon's Destruction element has all four elements out of balance.

I don't think we can know anything for certain about whether the element of Wind is more special than any of the other elements until the next season has aired (no pun intended).

• Upvote 1

I actually have my own little "fan made" team of Ninja, consisting of my friend and my sigfigs and a few other characters. My theory is that certain groups of elements can combine to form Creation, and in my little story...thing...the four elements in my team can form said Creation.

For example, Shadow, Amber, Speed, and Water (or in my team's case, Magic, Energy, Crystal, and Force) might be able to form a Creation type element. Another alternative is that there are other possible combinations of the elements that form different types of combination elements, such as possibly Destruction, or even something completely different, for example Alteration (I dunno, just throwing stuff out there :P), or Dimensions or some weird out of the blue element.

This is also just me having fun with the parts of the line we may never get an explantion for, so I don't expect it to be the most accurate in the world.

Currently Working On: City of the Fallen - Character Building and Script Writing

To Do: City of the Fallen - Voice Acting and Animation, Deathmatch - Character Building and Script Writing

"Wherever you go, you had better be looking over your shoulder - because one day I will be there. And I promise you it will be the last thing you will ever see."
— Lesovikk to Karzahni, Dreams of Destruction

I too have been curious about these additional elements.

I'm the type of person who employs headcanons for unexplained things.

My headcanon tells me the elements are like the color wheel. You mix one of the 4 main elements with another one and you get something else and it just branches off like that.

Edited by Lord Commander Manducus

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

What I find even more confusing is the relationship between Spinjitzu and Elemental Energy. 

Season 1 + Pilots

- Ninja learn Spinjitzu

- Able to create tornado of creation

- Able to Channel EE Through Golden Weapons (maybe "channel" isn't a suitable word since it seems the weapon creates the elements by it self)

- Able to channel their "full potential" through Golden Weapons

Season 2

- Ninja get Elemental Blades or whatever from Temple of Light. Basically Golden Weapon replacement

- Lloyd able to control all 4 elements + golden power + green power through his hands

Season 3

Here is where it gets confusing...

- Lloyd gives up his golden power to the Ninja.

- Lloyd now seems unable to control 4 elements, only green power

- Each Ninja can now channel EE through their hands and do Spinjitzu to boot

Season 4

- Nothing of interest really, only that the other EMs can channel their EE without any type of tool like the GW or EB.

Season 5

- In episode 1 the Ninja lose their elemental powers most likely due to Lloyd being possessed by Morro.

- They are still able to do Spinjitzu

So... What is Spinjitzu... Why did their EE go away. Why can they only channel their EE through weapons and spinning and nothing else? Why are they worthless scrubs without Lloyd!?!

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

What I find even more confusing is the relationship between Spinjitzu and Elemental Energy. 

Season 1 + Pilots

- Ninja learn Spinjitzu

- Able to create tornado of creation

- Able to Channel EE Through Golden Weapons (maybe "channel" isn't a suitable word since it seems the weapon creates the elements by it self)

- Able to channel their "full potential" through Golden Weapons

Season 2

- Ninja get Elemental Blades or whatever from Temple of Light. Basically Golden Weapon replacement

- Lloyd able to control all 4 elements + golden power + green power through his hands

Season 3

Here is where it gets confusing...

- Lloyd gives up his golden power to the Ninja.

- Lloyd now seems unable to control 4 elements, only green power

- Each Ninja can now channel EE through their hands and do Spinjitzu to boot

Season 4

- Nothing of interest really, only that the other EMs can channel their EE without any type of tool like the GW or EB.

Season 5

- In episode 1 the Ninja lose their elemental powers most likely due to Lloyd being possessed by Morro.

- They are still able to do Spinjitzu

So... What is Spinjitzu... Why did their EE go away. Why can they only channel their EE through weapons and spinning and nothing else? Why are they worthless scrubs without Lloyd!?!

Spinjitzu is probably best understood as a martial art, rather than an explicitly elemental power. In the game Ninjago: Shadow of Ronin, the ninja lose their elemental powers as well, yet retain the ability to practice Spinjitzu. Considering that recent canon has established that elemental powers are based on a line of descent and no such elemental lineage is known for Misako, it's possible that her Spinjitzu is a non-elemental variant.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Isn't Shadow of Ronin non-canon?

But then how is Spinjitzu related to elemental power. Like when Kai did his Spinjitzu of Fire and it melted the ice in that one episode of last season. Could Kai have accidentally stood on the Earth symbol in the Temple of Light and have gained the element of Earth from Lloyd instead but still be able to use his Fire Spinitzu and Earth Elemental Beams? That whole thing with Lloyd itself is confusing. Some people I've heard say that all Lloyd did was "awaken" the power inside the Ninja, but I don't buy this. It's obvious (IMO) that Lloyd gave up his elemental power since ever since that moment when he returned to the Temple of Light and gave the Ninja powers he only ever used green energy after that. Ninjago is just so confusing... 

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Spinjitzu isn't an elemental power rather a martial art, since Wu, Garmadon and Misako can do it. The Ninja just do elemental spinjitzu due to them being elemental masters.

Well, Wu and Garmadon do have elemental power due to being the descendents of the first Spinjitzu Master (just like Lloyd in turn has his golden/green power). But if Misako has any elemental power, we're not aware of it, so it's just as likely that her Spinjitzu is non-elemental.

Spinjitzu isn't an elemental power rather a martial art, since Wu, Garmadon and Misako can do it. The Ninja just do elemental spinjitzu due to them being elemental masters.

Well, Wu and Garmadon do have elemental power due to being the descendents of the first Spinjitzu Master (just like Lloyd in turn has his golden/green power). But if Misako has any elemental power, we're not aware of it, so it's just as likely that her Spinjitzu is non-elemental.

Pretty sure Wu and Garmadon have never had elemental powers. 

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

Garmadon did Dark Lightning at one point in the show.

Both of them are descendants of the First Spinjitzu Master...

I don't see why they WOULDN'T have elemental powers...

While Wu and Garmadon have rarely been shown using elemental power in the show, most ancillary media has maintained that they both have control of all four original elements, and there hasn't been any indication that that's been retconned in the past year. Wu's four-element Spinjitzu was established as having the power of creation, and Garmadon's as having the power of destruction (likely changed back to creation since his reform). And again, though it hasn't been utilized much in the show, Lloyd also inherited the ability to control those four elements, which likely manifest as his "green power".

• Upvote 2

According to the 2011 Ninjago website, Sensei Wu's Creation power came from having all the elements balanced and Lord Garmadon's power came from having all the elements out of balance. Whether that includes just the four that were known at that time or all elements known today (or whether this has been entirely retconned by now) is not really clear.

As for why the ninja weren't able to use elemental powers before Lloyd gave up his Golden Power (unlike every other Elemental Master), maybe their elemental powers are a special case and became tied to the Golden Weapons for some reason. Or maybe they just aren't as talented as all the other Elemental Masters or they have genetically weak inherent elemental powers. And what Aanchir said about Misako's Spinjitzu actually makes a lot of sense, so Spinjitzu is something anyone can learn, and the ninjas' Spinjitzu is only elemental because they have (apparently genetically weak  :P ) inherited elemental powers. But then, that brings up the question of where Zane gets his elemental powers from. I'm going to assume from his mysterious power source, but where did that come from? Did Dr. Julien discover how to make elemental crystals or something? Dr. Julien didn't appear to have elemental powers, though that could have been because he simply never learned to use them? We don't know exactly how many generations are between the original Elemental Masters and the ninja.

• Upvote 2

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

As for why the ninja weren't able to use elemental powers before Lloyd gave up his Golden Power (unlike every other Elemental Master), maybe their elemental powers are a special case and became tied to the Golden Weapons for some reason. Or maybe they just aren't as talented as all the other Elemental Masters or they have genetically weak inherent elemental powers. And what Aanchir said about Misako's Spinjitzu actually makes a lot of sense, so Spinjitzu is something anyone can learn, and the ninjas' Spinjitzu is only elemental because they have (apparently genetically weak  :P ) inherited elemental powers. But then, that brings up the question of where Zane gets his elemental powers from. I'm going to assume from his mysterious power source, but where did that come from? Did Dr. Julien discover how to make elemental crystals or something? Dr. Julien didn't appear to have elemental powers, though that could have been because he simply never learned to use them? We don't know exactly how many generations are between the original Elemental Masters and the ninja.

Crystals is a good guess, actually — it could be that when or before the original Elemental Master of Ice died, he channeled his elemental power into the same type of crystal that Chen used in his Staff of Elements, and that Dr. Julien used that as a component of his power source.

I don't know if we'll see any more about Zane's origins explored, now that Dr. Julien has died. Really, the most important thing about Zane's origins, to Zane himself at least, was knowing that he had a family that loved him, not knowing all the specific details of how he is able to function. So I don't see him making it a mission of his to find out what his connection is to the original Master of Ice.

Edited by Aanchir

Even though it may be a bit off topic I would love to see Zane's origins and that of his artificial power over Ice explored in a side story somewhere down the line. I mean all the other elemental masters are flesh and bone. Yet Zane is not. Maybe at one point he was and over time his father pained by the loss of his real son created him artificially and somehow the original Zane's Spirit inhabits his mechanical form. Made even more so when he received his much more mechanical in appearance titanium form.

I mean if the other Ninja could be digitalized and even the Evil Spirit guy somehow was digitalized so why couldn't Zane's original self and elemental affinity be digitized and downloaded into his former mechanical shell?

• Upvote 3

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

• 4 months later...

For a while, I was confused about Lloyd's element(s) worked, because I assumed Green Power was supposed to be his form of Creation, or a less powerful form of Golden Power, his true Creation. But now I think Energy/Power is just a separate, but related, extremely powerful element. Like, the missing fifth element of Creation. Garmadon and Wu have the four elements: Fire, Ice, Lightning, and Earth, and when together in balance, they create Creation. But Lloyd, in addition to the four, also inherited Power, and combined with the other elements, and his True Potential, he unlocked Golden Power, the First Spinjitzu Master's stonger form of Creation.

So, basically:

Fire+Ice+Lightning+Earth=Creation

Fire+Ice+Lightning+Earth+Green Power/Energy=Golden Power