Compy: Life-sized Compsognathus w/Function

Greetings once again BZP! Long time no see. I've had this MoC in production for a while and it's finally ready to be posted (because I made myself say it was done)

Lego Ideas Page

Brickshelf Gallery and Imgur Gallery (these photos are from when I was working on him and are outdated, but still fun imo)

I can't reallly say how tall he is as his hight varies a lot based on how he's posed, but the tallest he can stand is 2ft 7in give or take an inch. He is about 4 feet long from tip of his nose to the tip of his tail. He is based on a Compsognathus Longipes, one of the smallest of the dinos.

Did I mention he has a function? By pulling the Matau Hordika head lever on his back his mouth will open, let go and it snaps shut! Earlier on in the building process I uploaded a vid to brickshelf, but brickshelf doesn't do well with videos. It's in the Gallery if you wanna see it tho. His head does have some limited mobility to look left and right and this movement does not inhibit his function.

He obviously weighs a lot, for what he is anyway, so to support him I built some legs somewhat inspired by how the new Toa sets have arms that don't flop around. The hip has 5 gears and a ball joint for quite a lot of friction, capable of holding the MoC's weight in most poses if I can balence him. To pose him I turn the X shaped gear thingy you see in the new Toa, it's connected to a different axle than the Compy's weight is on making posing easier but not taking away from the strength of the joint. His knee is supported by 3 gears (if you count the metru hip piece as a gear) and a piston. This can't hold as much weight, but it does hold quit well well fully open or closed and I have managed to pose him a few times with them part way. The knees are poseable like an average limb. His ankle is supported by 3 gears and a ball joint and is second only to the hip in strength. The ankles also turn on a separate axle making posing easier. I usually use the tail as an added support, but it is possible to stand him on just his 2 legs if you balance him right.

Share it with your friends, family, friends of the family, your friends family, friends of friends, familiy of family, and any old random person you see on the street. If you're on any form of social media, spam post it everywhere you can.

THE WORLD MUST COME TO KNOW AND FEAR THE MIGHTY COMPY!

As always, should you have C&CC on any facet of this project it is most welcome.

• Upvote 6

I am always astounded by larger creations, and the incorporation of gears to assist in strength is something I'd never imagined. Compy here is a beautiful creature, and though I'm not sure he would have had just as much silver or gunmetal in real life, you have done a most wonderful job of detailing him and providing full coverage. Look at those claws! The underbelly! The streamlined build!

The function feature is a wonderful addition. When you described it I thought the trigger was on the back of his head - but you have his whole neck involved in the mechanism! I am a sucker for functions - probably because I'm not the greatest at including them myself... ^_^

May you continue to churn out such fantastic creations!

• Upvote 1

I have to say, the attention to detail on this is fantastic with superb pose-ability! Really looks like the actual Jurassic dino! (Although it is actually a little on the big side!). The functions are really well integrated and just add to the character of the C. Longpipes that you've made! A hearty well done to you sir/madam!

• Upvote 1

0/10, there are no feathers. I'm kidding, this is an amazing MOC, but where did Onua's mistika shield come from and I noticed some tan technic panels, you got the parts ID for them or a clue to which sets have them?

• Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I am always astounded by larger creations, and the incorporation of gears to assist in strength is something I'd never imagined. Compy here is a beautiful creature, and though I'm not sure he would have had just as much silver or gunmetal in real life, you have done a most wonderful job of detailing him and providing full coverage. Look at those claws! The underbelly! The streamlined build!

The function feature is a wonderful addition. When you described it I thought the trigger was on the back of his head - but you have his whole neck involved in the mechanism! I am a sucker for functions - probably because I'm not the greatest at including them myself... ^_^

May you continue to churn out such fantastic creations!

Thank you! I would have liked to have been abke to skip the use of silver and gunmetal, but sadly I don't have that big of a collecion :P I'm actually not the best at including functions either, but when I set out to build Compy I wanted to challenge myself, I'm glad it worked out so well :)

I have to say, the attention to detail on this is fantastic with superb pose-ability! Really looks like the actual Jurassic dino! (Although it is actually a little on the big side!). The functions are really well integrated and just add to the character of the C. Longpipes that you've made! A hearty well done to you sir/madam!

Thanks! It is, from the perspective of the movies a bit big, but this guy is based on the larger of the two known Compy skeletons, and I think Jurassic Park based their's off the smaller one.

(And as a side note, I'm a sir xD)

0/10, there are no feathers. I'm kidding, this is an amazing MOC, but where did Onua's mistika shield come from and I noticed some tan technic panels, you got the parts ID for them or a clue to which sets have them?

Lol, I acactually considered trying to incorporate feathers, but I lack enough feather-like pieces. The tan shields came from the Thornatus V9 if I recall correctly, which is where most of my tan parts came from actually

Well, this is just impressive. No words. The tan and green combination is reallu, really nice. You deserve some kind of prize for this.

Thank you very much :D I think getting him approved on Lego Ideas would be a great prize imo :lol:

tho if anyone from the bzp staff sees this a spotlight on the main page would be a cool prize too ;)

• Upvote 2