Vo-Matoran and Her Pikachu

Aderia

Hiya BZP! It's been a little while since I've posted anything, and I rarely, if ever, have posted here in the art forum, (even though I do like browsing rather often), so some of you may not recognize me. Usually, when I am online, I'm holed up in the Library or blogstalking old friends. But anyways, I made these two. Pikachu seemed like a logical if not clichéd starter for a Matoran of Electricity, yes? And I really wanted to share, since my brothers, despite loving both LEGO and Pokémon, do not share my enthusiasm for felting wool and crafts. They're like, "hey, cool." and went back to watching Legend of Korra (which I introduced them too, wonderful sister that I am).

What better way to spend a too-humid-to-go-outside afternoon than repeatedly stabbing a barbed needle into wads of felting-fluff until they resemble characters from my childhood, am I right? They look kind of fuzzy, but it's because they actually are, it wasn't my camera, to my relief. I present to you the fruit of my roughly 3.5 hour labor. And I also stabbed myself a couple times by accident. 

liltykes.png
(
Larger)

Matoran

Matoran (back)
Kanohi

Armor

Pikachu 

Pikachu's Tail

The thing with the large pictures is, the closer you look, and the longer you look, the weirder they start to seem, probably because of all the little stray fibers and stuff. Anyways, the hardest part was Pikachu, as you can see, he looks a bit non-traditional. I attached the ears and eye-highlights last, and up unitl then, he looked kind of terrifying XD The Matoran's mask, (it's supposed to be a Kakama, in case it's unclear), was super fun because of all the detail. Her armor was also fun, I made it separately, and it went over her head like a t-shirt C: 

So, thank's for stopping by! I hope it was worth your time! 

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 16

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

I present to you the fruit of my roughly 3.5 hour labor. And I also stabbed myself a couple times by accident. 

I haven't tried needle felting, but I recall the stories from my mother. You're brave.

But I really appreciate your work here not only for the difficulty involved for such a level of detail, but for the uncommon nature of the medium as well. I don't think I've seen a similar endeavor in General Art since the boards came back in 2011. So thanks for sharing this.

I can't really tell from the Kanohi closeup, but did you make the head and the mask as a unit, or can the mask be taken off as the armor seems to? Just out of curiosity, really; I don't have any suggestions for your work here. Nice job!

• Upvote 1

I like this art, it's unique and I like how you combined two of my favorite things, bionicle and pokemon. :)

Haha, thank you! They are two of my favorite things as well! 

This is one of the few Pikachus I actually like =P

It's cool how you managed to stuff so much detail onto both of them.  Would you consider it worth the pain from stabbing yourself? =P

Definitely worth it. Pain is just weakness leaving the body anyways, right? There's a saying my frisbee team likes to toss around (no pun intended), it's something about, if you didn't bleed, you didn't play hard enough. Perhaps my subconscious took that a bit too seriously XD

I present to you the fruit of my roughly 3.5 hour labor. And I also stabbed myself a couple times by accident. 

I haven't tried needle felting, but I recall the stories from my mother. You're brave.

But I really appreciate your work here not only for the difficulty involved for such a level of detail, but for the uncommon nature of the medium as well. I don't think I've seen a similar endeavor in General Art since the boards came back in 2011. So thanks for sharing this.

I can't really tell from the Kanohi closeup, but did you make the head and the mask as a unit, or can the mask be taken off as the armor seems to? Just out of curiosity, really; I don't have any suggestions for your work here. Nice job!

I appreciate your appreciation! C: To answer your question, for the Matoran, almost everything was its own piece at one point, except the legs.  Torso, pelvis, shoulder armor (due to lack of initial upper arm bulk, which was a mistake. i guess she doesn't hit the gym very often) upper and forearm, head, neck (poor planning, those could have been one), and mask all separate. If I really wanted to, I could probably disassemble her and start over, but her head was a pain in the patookie to stab into place.

tl;dr, yes, mask and head were made separate, and yes it can be taken off C: 

• Upvote 1

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

I have no idea what I am looking at. It looks like some dryer lint escaped and somehow took sentients and resembles a Matoran of some kind wearing a light blue Kakama. So what did you do exactly are these parts actually sown together? I am guessing these two are quite fragile and could be pulled apart by accident of handled improperly?

Oh and you did the Kakama beautifully. Even without the Title and description you posted I could tell what mask it was.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

• 1 month later...

They're adorable! Can we hope to see more?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

nicely done! it probably wasn't that easy to achieve something like that with felt, but you did a great job.

:m_p:  :i:  :s:  :h:  Kopaka.png  :i:  :s:  :s:  :e:  :l:

"INTJ PROUD;" 80788-81311-MI