Set Review: 70795 Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder

Dakhann

I don't think there are any size issues with Ekimu's mask. Apart from the "crown" (a common aesthetic feature of royalty or divinity), it's not significantly larger than the Protector or Toa masks.

Where did concerns about mask size even originate from, anyway? I don't think anyone cared about that during the classic theme's run (outside a few outliers like the Olisi). Yet I keep hearing complaints that the new masks are either too large or too small, when as far as I can tell the range of sizes is no greater than it ever has been.

I guess it mainly has to do with how 'tall' the mask is.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

My big question is how the combination with Skull Scorpio holds up. Do the other sets have combinations?

We're not really going to be able to test how well the combi models hold up until the instructions get added online.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Thank you for the review! I'll be sure to buy this set once it is released here! 

Also, even though the recolored Protector mask looks nice, I'm going to replace it with the Mask of Creation as soon as Ekimu's built.

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

It's interesting to see Ekimu go into the combination as well. For some reason I wasn't expecting that.

I had a random thought though. It bugged me that the Masks the new sets come with are transparent in a color that's not the main color. For example, Kopaka is white but the mask is gold and blue. But I noticed that the protector of ice has a blue transparent bit at the top in the same shade of blue. This lines up for all four toa masks the new sets come with. The new toa masks match the transparent color scheme of the protectors'.

Now since we know that the protectors are essentially the new form of turaga, it wouldn't be crazy to think that they used to be toa as well. Maybe the protectors fought the new Skull baddies during their time as toa but ended up losing. It could be that they never got the golden masks and so they just weren't strong enough. If the toa's regular masks turned transparent like the golden ones, the color scheme would match the protectors' masks.

It's interesting to see Ekimu go into the combination as well. For some reason I wasn't expecting that.

I had a random thought though. It bugged me that the Masks the new sets come with are transparent in a color that's not the main color. For example, Kopaka is white but the mask is gold and blue. But I noticed that the protector of ice has a blue transparent bit at the top in the same shade of blue. This lines up for all four toa masks the new sets come with. The new toa masks match the transparent color scheme of the protectors'.

Now since we know that the protectors are essentially the new form of turaga, it wouldn't be crazy to think that they used to be toa as well. Maybe the protectors fought the new Skull baddies during their time as toa but ended up losing. It could be that they never got the golden masks and so they just weren't strong enough. If the toa's regular masks turned transparent like the golden ones, the color scheme would match the protectors' masks.

The trans colors are also shared by the respective toa, not just the protector. I'm assuming this must represent their elemental power.

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

Building 

Half the fun is had building the set. How fun is it to build and how easy or challenging is it?

Skull Grinder:
Pretty basic CCBS build, Grinder's gear box is Lewa-high but he gets a neck extension.

Ekimu:
Interesting protector build with gear box but still pretty straightforward

:( I wish we could get some complex sets sometime. The combiner model seems pretty cool; they could make a main set like that.

Edited by bioniclepluslotr

The trans colors are also shared by the respective toa, not just the protector. I'm assuming this must represent their elemental power.

Well, most of the Toa. Gali's Tr. Light Blue accents do not match the Protector of Water's Tr. Blue blended mask. Tahu's Tr. Fl. Reddish Orange accents do not match the Protector of Fire's Tr. Yellow blended mask. And Lewa lacks any transparent accents at all.

Of course, these are minor issues in the long run, and the variation of the Protector masks helps them to all look unique. It is worth noting that this makes it unclear what Tahu and Gali's blended masks would look like if they existed—Gali's would likely use Tr. Blue to match the Protector mask and more importantly look different from Kopaka's, but it's up in the air whether Tahu's blended mask would use Tr. Yellow (to match the Protector mask) or Tr. Fl. Reddish Orange (to match both Tahu and the Protector of Fire's transparent accents).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm also interested in the story for these masks.

On the boxes for the new sets, you can see hands reaching for the masks as they're being taken away and changing color. It can be assumed that Tahu and Gali are the only two left standing.

Side note: Tahu and Gali also have special edition masks that the other toa don't have. They're just harder to get.

• 4 weeks later...