Human Maku

evil_jaga_genius

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7863sQWxf-xMnI3T0diNEM4dWM/view?usp=sharing

Here's the story behind this: when I was doing Adventure Posts, I kept thinking of what the characters would look like humanized.  A lot of the time I found myself seeing them more like people and less robotic.  One of these days I'll do the rest of them, but here's Maku.

Whenever I'm in church and the sermon is about something insanely boring or it's just too crowded, I keep some pages of paper in my Bible to doodle on.  After a while I had done a sketch of Maku, and I thought, "You know, this doesn't look too bad.  What if I stuffed it in GIMP?"  And this is the result.

Maku and Huki have been best friends since they were kids (how does age work for people that live thousands of years?).  Turaga Nokama thinks of her as her daughter or granddaughter, and does everything she can to keep her safe, usually by keeping her in the village.  Maku on the other hand won't have any of that and keeps devising ever-more-inventive ways to sneak out.  The idea in AP was to help her get out by having her hide in an empty barrel, then having the ferry boat tow her out to sea.  Sadly I never got around to that =(

Anyhow.  She's a very bright character.  While Huki is being all serious and brooding over Ahkmou, she just looks around and says, "Come on!  It'll be an adventure!"  I meant to put her in earlier as a way of balancing out the dark-and-heavy tone of the story.  Since she's always looking to get outside the village adventuring, she has a few rips in her jeans and always carries her disk and a backpack.  Her hair is orange because when you first meet her in MNOG, most of the Ga-Matoran have plain yellow eyes, but hers are a more orange shade.  So there is some logic behind that.

She and Huki also have a habit of pulling pranks on each other for fun.  On the rare occasions they get to see each other.

Speaking of Nokama thinking of her as her daughter, how would that work?  The Matoran and Toa obviously have some idea of family--the Toa call each other brother and sister, and the Rahkshi are the 'sons of Makuta'.  I imagine it's something a bit like The Maze Runner: they know what a family is, but they don't know anything about theirs.  All the details are gone.

"Do you ever wonder who our families are?  Where they are now?"

"Not really... I guess it never crossed my mind.  But I guess we had to come from... somewhere.  Why do you ask?"

"Oh, it's just I get the vague idea my parents would like to meet you sometime.  But it's just I don't know who they even are, you know?  There are how many thousands of Matoran on this island and nobody knows who their brothers and sisters are, or if they even have any.  There isn't a single mom or dad in the whole crowd.  How come we're here and they're not?"

Now that's a question that Greg should have a fun time answering.

Enjoy the pic.

-Jaga

• Upvote 3

Avatar by Nicholas Anderson (NickonAquaMagna)

My blog: The Jaga's Nest