Breaking Point

Krayzikk

IC:

"Early bird gets the worm." Ayane quipped, extensive practice keeping her from letting herself go cross-eyed trying to keep track of the candy bar. She jerked a thumb back towards the hangar, then slipped both hands back into her pockets. "Keeping Ronin tuned up. Don't know when they'll be back, and I need the old girl at a hundred percent."

"Besides, I had to check to see if you went and destroyed the capillaries in your nose again."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC:

"Don't I wish. I miss having an hour to lounge around in a wheelchair," Nadia bemoaned to herself, tearing off a chunk of chocolate lustily with her teeth. "I hate being a flight lead. Giving orders in the sky is fine, but policing trainees makes me feel like such a prick. I wasn't meant for authority."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC: Susan Dreary

Could she walk?

She could walk.

The hospital staff didn't seem too mad at her for getting out of bed, so Susan decided to take a walk. She's be back, of course, but she wanted to see what everybody else was up to.

Edited by Constructman

IC: Operation New Chick was a go.

Well, TECHNICALLY speaking, that wasn't what her assignment was codenamed. But she never really did pay attention to those names. They tended to be boring or stupid puns, not like the killer ones she came up with. You know.

Robins are birds, and...

Anyway. She smirked slightly as she walked down the hall of Horizon's base, a slight skip in her step. Looking around the halls of her new home in resplendent shades of gray, gray, more gray, grey (which is like gray but British, and she'd been to London during the rain, so they KNEW gloomy), and a color that could only be described as "drabbish" made the military part of her immediately comfortable. The Hunk was in the storage hanger, she had her room assignment, everything was just plain peachy–except those walls, a quick spin reinforced that everything around was that beautiful drabbish– and... Hold up. That girl certainly had a presence. Well, both of them did. One, a girl standing with obvious military discipline, the other in a white outfit, green eyes, tall. Striking. Maybe... She should introduce herself? The one was obviously her commander, by the description she'd been given. The other must be one of her squadmates, or someone else.

Robin calmed her walk and stepped up to them, saluting. Not her regular style, but who knows how this woman treated her subordinates. "Commander White, I'm..." She paused for a second. Pike, spear, javelin... Robin continued, a note of eureka on her first word. "Lance Corporal Robin Hartwell reporting for duty!"

No such thing as destiny.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"At ease." Lauren kept her face straight and returned her salute with only an air of flippancy. She racked her brains for what McKinley had said, the first time he'd briefed the Horizon Raptor squadron. Or something that the colonel would tell a new ace. "..."

"Sup ."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC:

"The Commander is very formal." The Japanese pilot commented dryly, looking the Lance Corporal up and down casually. Not all that tall, but definitely the build of a Raptor pilot. The pilot suit, too. Most likely a transfer to Horizon. Judging by the accent, she would have to say... American. Midwest, if she knew her regional stereotypes. She was familiar with the type. Particularly at the Federation's inter-region competitions.

As a member of the Far East Brigade, she had certain responsibilities. Responsibilities as to who she considered a rival.

The gaijin. 

Noting a fleck of crimson out of the corner of her eye she fished a tissue out of her pocket and held it to the base of Lauren's nose; she waited just a moment, long enough for her to be satisfied it had stopped, then tossed the tissue in a trash can. And surreptitiously pressed the packet into the Raptor pilot's hand.

"It is a very specific, mandatory greeting."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC: "Not much, tramp," Robin said, then suddenly put her hand to her mouth, closing her eyes tightly. "Reflex."

She glanced at Ayane, watching her clean up the blood and trying to get a read on how the other girl felt. "I can tell, I thought having a person to wipe your nose died out with the end of monarchy. Guess I'm referring to you as Queen from here on out... Mentally of course," she added quickly.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"Ayy, why not? Been about a century since we had a queen in Canada. Might be time for a throwback." Lauren gave the Japanese pilot beside her a preemptive reassuring grin and then aimed the expression at Hartwell. "You must be Blackjack Eight. Noah told me your arrival was gonna be delayed a few days. Better late than never!"

-Tyler

Edited by Key and

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC:

"Ms. White has a habit of neglecting the aftereffects of Raptor piloting." The Japanese pilot replied, just a little sharper than before. She took a single crisp, precise step forward and inclined her torso the barest minimum of degrees at her waist. "Lance Corporal Inoue Ayane, Federation Far East Brigade. Reassigned from Olympic to Horizon for the extent of the conflict."

"As Ms. White said, better late than never." A pause, while she regarded the diminutive pilot again. "Perhaps you shall be more successful in the coming battles."

Whatever qualifier belonged to the end of that sentence, Ayane kept to herself.

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: "Sick! I always wanted to be named after a night stick or a Vegas game," she exclaimed. If she was being sarcastic or insincere, she was doing an excellent job of hiding it. "They said I was assigned to you but not what my call sign would be." She looked up at the two of them, just barely not standing on her tiptoes in an attempt to draw closer to their heights.

"Yeah, I'm, errr... Sorry about the delay, but I hope I'll be a good fit for your squad. No one's ever complained about my piloting ability, at least, though most people don't think I'm up to it for a while..." She shrugged, her momentary frown coming to an end as her grin widened. "It's great to meet you both though! Seems like I'm the only American here."

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"I believe I spotted one decked, rather prominently, out in red, white, and blue commandeering the first grill he could find earlier. A Raptor pilot as well, actually. He was on the Olympic. We spoke a few times. Reasonable man, if a bit overbearingly patriotic." Ayane commented, half to herself, thoughtfully. "Johnathan was his name."

"Lauren would have worked with him more than me."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Hassan

Dodging the flying components, he answered, "Mostly the joints in the limbs, like the servos, as well as the wires that were running from it to the main computer."

As he didged another projectile, Hassan hoped Gwen didn't toss anything too vital out.

IC:

"Well, you've still got weapons on-line. So I guess you still have a weapons emplacement that you can wheel out for battle. " Gwen said, suddenly hanging upside-down from the entrance to the cockpit. "But considering you're probably looking for a little more mobility, I can probably fix it up for you. Pretty sure the last guy just put everything in backwards."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

"Well, you've still got weapons on-line. So I guess you still have a weapons emplacement that you can wheel out for battle. " Gwen said, suddenly hanging upside-down from the entrance to the cockpit. "But considering you're probably looking for a little more mobility, I can probably fix it up for you. Pretty sure the last guy just put everything in backwards."

-Void

IC: Hassan

"Yeah, that's what I feared, with all the flashing warning signs appearing on the HUD.

As Gwen dove back into the machine, Hassan looked around at the growing heap of components on the ground. Despite the increasing entropy of the area, he still suggested:

"If you need me to pass you anything, I'm happy to help."

IC:

Strictly speaking, Noah had been ordered to rest before she tackled the matter of promotions. Ordered by the base’s Colonel, no less, just after being handed the promotion from acting chief of the Walker Corp to full-time status. So technically that meant she should have been sleeping, and worrying about all of this later in the day. If not tomorrow.

Then again, the Colonel hadn’t been very specific as to the nature of the mandatory ‘rest’.

In Major Noah’s opinion, a half hour break for food plus a dedicated fifteen minutes for a nap constituted rest. Hence why she was back in the Ops center with a cup of coffee in her hand, scrolling through a list on her tablet. She actually had begun the process of assessing appropriate promotions earlier in the week, once the dust had settled and detailed after action reports started coming in. She’d been compiling them as a list of suggestions for McKinley, but she supposed they were her decision now.

That made things simple, at least. The second matter, however, was a little more complicated. Morale had been running low, and was in sore need of a boost. The promotions (and the associated ego-stroking) would help with that a little, but there needed to be a push. Something to keep the spirits up until they started dishing out some payback. And the Colonel had said to encourage sim use…

Perfect.

Switching on the base-wide intercom, Noah took a moment to consider what she was going to say. She knew how McKinley would have handled it, but she wasn’t the old man. No one else knew how to be, let alone Noah. Had to do this her own way.

“Pilots, this is Major Noah.” She adjusted her mic a little with her left hand, while the right brought the list where she could see it again. “We don’t have time for pomp and circumstance, but recognitions are in order after last week’s battle.”

“First off is Private First Class Luna Marcus, pilot of the Gunner Aronnax, who gets credit for having the first confirmed Horizon kill of a Union Walker.” Without breaking momentum, Noah consulted her notes. “In fact the R&D boys are having a field day thanks to her courage. Despite the grievous damage done to Aronnax, Marcus refused to eject until absolutely necessary ensuring that the Behemoth that took it down paid for the chance. She additionally damaged the second Behemoth attacking the base enough to allow her allies, most notably Olympic pilot Jason Ryder, to finish the job. The Private did a ###### of a thing, and has been promoted to E3, Lance Corporal, for her efforts.”

“Second is actually a twofer. While the Union was hitting the base, their buddies were hitting the Mass Driver just as hard. While credit must be extended to the entire force, three individuals stand out from the rest. FRCR Liason Cañizares, Lance Corporal Patric O’Sullivan, and Lance Corporal Benjamin Armbruster. Cañizares’ recognition is for his own branch of service to decide, but I have passed along our praise.”

“O’Sullivan and Armbruster, though, are two of our own. From the moment they arrived to provide reinforcements for 1st Squadron, 1st suffered no further losses. With support from 1st and Cañizares’ they engaged and held back the attacking Union team. You heard that right. O’Sullivan, Irish jack of all trades that he is, outmaneuvered them in a Warrior. The good Macha herself. And our friend Armbruster hails from Test Team 4, and from what I’ve heard, unloaded more missiles on the enemy than God could’ve managed. For performance above and beyond what was expected, these two have been promoted to Corporal.”

“Last but not least is our own Nadia White, pilot of the Raptor Munquita though I’m sure most of you’ve met her at least once. For excellent performance on the field, and for being brave enough to accept the responsibility,” At this Noah’s smile widened just a little. “Lance Corporal White has been promoted to Sergeant, E5, and been made flight leader of the newly formed Blackjack Squadron.”

“Official paperwork will get handed out soon, but be sure to congratulate them if you see them. In additional news, the Colonel wants me to draw attention to the new simulators down in the hangar, but I’ve decided to go one better.” Noah set aside her tablet, and allowed a wider smile to grace her features. “If you want to go up against these madmen and women, you’re going to get your chance. I’m officially organizing the second somewhat annual Sim Tournament! Open for participation to all Walker pilots presently stationed at Horizon, contestants will use their own machines for the free-for-all competition. There will be a prize, and more details will be forthcoming.”

“Be sure to enjoy it, the Wolf’s not here to hand your ##### on a silver platter this time but it might be the only chance you get. Make the most of it.”

“That’s all for now, folks. Major Noah out.”

Edited by Peele

fK5oqYf.jpg

"Well."

So that battle wasn't a total FUBAR. Pretty impressive from those who didn't instantly crumble in the first wave.

A part of her wanted to participate, but as if on cue, her back started hurting again.

"The moment I think about it... Guess I'm sitting out this one..."

IC: Marcus

Even now, it was odd to hear the LT's voice over the intercom rather than McKinley, though the fact that she prefaced it with Major now was not an unwelcome surprise. Someone had finally convinced Noah to take the position, even if McKinley would be up and swearing again soon. Luna listened with half an ear; most of her attention focused on navigating the mess of mechanics and machinery that covered most of the available floorspace in the hanger. That is until a very familiar sounding set of names echoed out through the hanger, and Luna halted mid-step as her heart thudded just slightly offbeat.

"...is Private First Class Luna Marcus, pilot of the Gunner Aronnax..."

She distinctly felt her face flush and her stomach try to kill itself, a sense of cold dread spreading over her. Did she really mess up that bad?

It was, probably for overall health, for the best that her fear lasted all of a two seconds, as she realized that Major Noah was actually commending her. She tried not to focus on the fact that herself being commended meant that no one really fared much better than she did. The again, the Aronnax had messed up the first of those hulking machines pretty good, and definitely confirmed the kill on the second. She kinda got the upfront seat for testing what rotary cannons did to armor at point blank range.

"...has been promoted to E3, Lance Corporal, for her efforts."

"W-what!?"

For the second time in less than a minute, Luna was certain that she had nearly died.

"Oh god."

She couldn't quite tell whether it was shock or elation.

She heard the rest of the names as if in a trance, a small part of her filing them away for later congratulations, only really coming to again to hear something about the simulators. Right, she was headed there anyway. Hopefully they'd be able to load up the new Walker in time for her to get some practice in.

A destination in mind, and trying not to think about the sudden increase in responsibility, Luna made her way towards the sims.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Ic Maigo:

She shook her head, "Whatever.... Should... we hit the simulator?"

She didn't express it, but she was slightly annoyed at not recieving any recognition for her own attempts against the behemoth, which had cost her a Walker.

But maybe that was exactly why she hadn't been mentioned.

IC Alex:

The cool water washing the soap off of my hands, I straightened up, looking at myself in the small mirror. Two days of untrimmed stubble. I grimaced. hair wouldn't stay down. I could probably leave it another day though. Wiping my hands dry, I stepped out of the washroom, and headed for the simulators. CO said I needed to get more practice in. I tended to agree, but more on account that I loved those sims. Say what you will about the military, they sure don't skimp on the good stuff. 

OOC: Alex OFI