Breaking Point

Krayzikk

IC:

"It's dumb, okay?" Gwen said, scraping the steel wool along the scorched barrel of the cannon. "Maybe I'll die out there against the Union. Maybe I'll never see my family again. Maybe I only get nineteen, twenty, twenty-one years alive before...."

The scraping was rhythmic.

"It shouldn't matter, should it?" she said. "If I die, it shouldn't matter. I'll have saved people. Protected people. Done my duty and made a difference. It shouldn't ... it shouldn't matter if I die or not."

The scraping ... slowed.

"It shouldn't matter."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

• 1 month later...

OOC: So sorry I haven't been around, finally finished my previous job and adjusting to a new life. Also I suppose I was having trouble with this conversation. :3

IC: Hassan

"Yeah, it shouldn't right? You do your job, protect your home against these invaders, and you hope to god your lancemates have your back."

Hassan was silent for a while.

"But it does, and that's fine. And you're not wrong for thinking that. You worry about how your fathers will feel if... If things don't turn out well for you. And that's fine. You worry about the years you lost having a normal life, or if you did your best before then end. And that's fine."

He looked into her eyes.

"I don't know a lot, but I know that every soldier thinks of that, every day. Because we're only human. I know the army is supposed to drill it into your head that as long as you do your duty there's nothing to worry if you... Go, but it's all bunk. I've seen it. Good men and women, lives cut short before their time because of a stupid mistake, or dumb luck.

"I won't tell you that feeling will go away, the fear that you didn't do enough and your loved ones will suffer. I can't tell you what to do with the fear. Cliche as it is, you'll have to find your reason for fighting. But don't forget why you fight, whether it be so your loved ones won't be caught in this stupid war, subjected to occupation by outsiders who haven't had to deal with the hardships of earth. And remember, I'll be here to help, as long as I can."

• 2 weeks later...

OOC: No worries! And you're doing absolutely amazing!

IC:

For a long moment, it seemed like all sound had vanished from the hangar. When it finally returned, it seemed to return one noise at a time: the hiss of an arc welder, the clanking of a trolley of spare parts, the smooth baseline thrum of an electric wrench as it turned another bolt into place. All the old, comforting sounds returned, one by one.

"Thanks, Hassan," Gwen said.

And then, not quite looking her new friend in the eye, she held out both arms wide, like she was waiting for a hug.

-Void

Edited by Conway

[ BZPRPG ]

• 1 month later...

IC:

"That's the sappiest thing I've ever heard in my life," Gwen said. But as she slowly let go of Hassan and stepped away from him, he would have been able to see her smile, just a little.

"C'mon," she said, cocking her head over to the rest of the hangar. "Gotta lot more work ahead of us."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]