Breaking Point

Krayzikk

IC - Freddie - The Cafe

Colony Day. A loud, boisterous holiday that many enjoyed. Freddie certainly did enjoy it, if only because he could get coffee that wasn't absolutely disgusting. He sat at a cafe he and a few other personnel used. At least, he assumed others went there. It only made sense, given that it was "The best cafe in all of Horizon!" according to Freddie. He sat near a window, sipping on a steaming cup of coffee. The festivities had only just begun, and what better way to celebrate that than with a not-terrible drink?

Freddie's foot tapped incessantly on the floor as he stared out of the window, watching people go by.

OOC: Freddie open for interaction, same cafe as both Susan and Andrei.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

IC: His Masterfulness chuckled, daringly aiming for the middle and barely missing his third toss for it. "And that's where practice coomes in."

Expertly sneaking the fourth ring over the neck of a bottle on the far left corner, that ever-present cheeky smirk showed no signs of fading.

"I shoulda warned ya ta be honest. I spent loooooads of time around the carnivals back in Dooblin. Only difference 'tween you 'n me's experience."

And maybe a mote of skill, but what'd that come from, again?

Experience. O'Sullivan never told a lie, no matter how outlandish certain claims may have seemed.

helo frens

-==IC: Chloe==-

Chloe chuckled with a sigh, as she wondered if that really was all it took, experience. "Maybe so, that sounds cool, though." Chloe said, amused at the smirk, as she smiled mischievously. "I dare you to hit the middle."

IC: "And let it be known that Patrick James O'Sullivan never toorns down a challenge." he replied, giving her the exact same look. After all, he was already comfortably up 3-2, so bragging rights were his.

Nothing to lose, but everything to gain. The exact kind of situation he loved engineering for himself.

Squatting halfway at the knees, he brought himself eye-level with the bottles, calculating all sorts of angles subconsciously...

And he then stood back upright, and pointed to one bottle in particular, with a long white scratch down the middle.

"That one."

Stepping back, he sent the ring sailing with a sharp flick of the wrist in a dizzying spin. It streaked across the lined up bottles, skimming dangerously close to the tops of each--

And scored home, right where he called his shot, hula-ing around the neck a dozen or so times before finally settling.

Throwing his hands up in triumph, he shouted his victory to the applauding crowd that had formed around them

"Who da man?! Who da man?! Hahaaaa!"

Excellent ways to start leave: This.

helo frens

IC: ...

He tought he recognized somebody out on that beach. Maybe he didn't really know her, but he knew he'd at least talked to her once or twice.

Who was that?

For the first time in a long while, the Irishman found himself flummoxed as he tried to remember the name of that soldier with the Olive complexion sunbathing out on the beach, just past the street-turned coastline where the games had expertly placed themselves to catch both beachgoers and tourists of the urban sprawl.

He'd have half a mind to question the geography of this place, if he weren't so strangely caught up on this.

He'd figure it out eventually.

"Yeesh, I didn't tink it'd be so broight out. You see onea those cheap little shades stalls anywhere?" he asked Chloe. They'd need them, because to be perfectly honest, those sands looked warm and inviting. Perfect for a little swim.

helo frens

Chloe seemed impressed, that was for sure, as she had wondered before if he'd actually make the shot. "Nice work." She said in slight amusement, and then paused at the question, and frowned, as she looked around. "Hmm... I'm not sure; hadn't thought to look." Chloe said with a sheepish smile, as she looked around more thoroughly, trying to see if there were any such shops around where they were.

"Hmm, the beach could be cool." Chloe agreed, as she scratched her head. "Oh, look, here's some." She pointed out, as she walked up to the stall in question, and quickly bought a pink heart-shaped frame pair of sunglasses, and quickly put them on.

IC: "Roight, good shout!" he crowed, swiping a cheap plastic lookalike of aviators and tossing the necessary funds at the clerk running the stall.

Stepping out onto the sands, he flippantly kicked his shoes and socks off and sunk his feet into the warmth.

"Now tis is sometin' you'll neva foind in Oireland."

Edited by Tsumugu Kinagise

helo frens

Chloe looked over curiously at that. "They don't have beaches in Ireland?" Chloe asked with a tilt of her head. She could understand that on the colonies; but she would have figured there were beaches everywhere on Earth. ... Minus the really really really really cold places, of course.

IC:

She scrunched her face up, half at the sun and half at PJ and his ditzy companion's dialogue, that louse was trying to woo another girl, wasn't he? Turning her head back towards the approaching duo, she gave the irishman a smirky look before giving a quick looksy to the girl with him.

"They don't have public beaches in Ireland, miss. All the land is reserved for potato farming."

Edited by Kaneo Takarada

...but close to it

IC: Sgt. Casey Maxwell stood at attention as usual. She stood tall and firm, with almost no expression as she observed the recruits moving into formation in front of her. She was quiet, and cold. in front of her she could the recruits engaging in physical activity. There was always a need for new soldiers and someone had to train them. When she wasn't covering a top-secret mission this was what she had to do. As far as Casey was concerned, the military was her home, and there was no leaving it.

In front of her, the soldiers were busy partaking in a series of physical exercises. She noticed one recruit struggling, a young man who was having a hard time keeping up the pace. Casey approached him. She grabbed him by the shoulders and turned him to face her.

"You there! What's your name?"

"Burette, ma'am,"

Casey spoke out almost immediately, leaving not so much as a pause after Barette's response. "ANSWER THE QUESTION!"

"Ma'am, Burette, ma'am!"

"Private Burette, you are a disgrace to the armed forces. What are you?"

Burette paused. "I'm a soldier."

Burette almost immediately received a hard slap over the face.

"I SAID WHAT ARE YOU?"

"A soldier,"

Another violent slap, harder this time.

"What are you?"

"A soldier,"

Casey proceeded to throw a violent bunch towards Burette, hitting him in the chest. The young private fell to his knees. Casey raised her head. "ATTENTION!"

Within seconds the men and women ceased their activities and moved into formation. Casey turned back toward Burette.

"WHAT ARE YOU!"

"I'm a filthy discussing maggot."

"SAY IT!"

"MA'AM! I'M A FILTHY DISGUSTING MAGGOT MA'AM!"

"Good,"

Casey stepped backward to address the other recruits. "It seems one of our recruits can't pull his own weight. Burette here is a disgrace to humanity! He is no human being. He isn't even a maggot!"

A few tears emerged from Burette's eyes. Casey immediately took notice. "You want some more?" She asked rhetorically. Burette shook his head.

"GET ON YOUR FEET!"

The young private reluctantly started to stand up.

"Since this... thing can't get his act together, I'm going to have to take a few stern measures. Every time this young man does something wrong, I will not punish him. I will punish all of you! Understand?"

The recruits immediately shouted out in unison. "Ma'am! Yes ma'am!" 

"NOW GET DOWN AND GIVE ME 100! THEN 12 HOURS JOGGING AROUND THE SQUARE!" 

The recruits began to get down and do the push-ups. Burette began to get down but Casey stopped him with one simple stare. "NOT YOU!" She said. Casey turned toward the edge of the square and began to walk slowly toward the wall. Upon reaching it she turned to once again observe the recruits, staring coldly at the young man who stood in shame as he watched his fellow recruits in action.

OOC: I guess Casey is open to interaction, but her training methods are definitely not for the faint of heart to see.

Edited by Atton Rand

IC:

She scrunched her face up, half at the sun and half at PJ and his ditzy companion's dialogue, that louse was trying to woo another girl, wasn't he? Turning her head back towards the approaching duo, she gave the irishman a smirky look before giving a quick looksy to the girl with him.

"They don't have public beaches in Ireland, miss. All the land is reserved for potato farming."

OOC: Mobile

IC: The jab combined with the strange pose elicited a hearty laugh from the unflappable mech pilot.

"We ain't takin no chances after the furst toime, yer roight!"

It'd take more than weak bristling to ruin the man's good mood. The ever-present grin didn't change.

helo frens

IC:

"AND THE AWARD FOR THE QUEEN OF THE CENTURY GOES TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~"

A mop -- nah, more of an old broom head with wires sticking out everywhere -- of black, multicolour-highlighted hair, appeared in the distance, moving moving MOVING closer and closer to Casey Maxwell. Eventually, the grinning, green-eyed, utterly demented face of the best engineer this side of the Panama canal followed suit. Then, a bright pink summer dress and a pair of sneakers.

And, finally, a to-go Starbucks cup with the words "THE ABANDON ALL HOPE-Y AWARD" scrawled across it in black sharpie.

"Hi Ms. Maxwell!" Gwen Talal, grinning ear-to-ear and bounding right up to where the sergeant was standing, said. "We of the human race would just like to thank you for being so instrumental in utterly demoralizing the young soldiers of our generation! This is for you -- " she said, holding the cup up to her and listening to the dregs of her Ice Cap sloshing around in it " -- along with a generous severance package when brass fires you for the abuse of those under you!"

-Void

• Upvote 5

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: Casey tried to contain her surprise as she turned toward the new arrival, another soldier a few years younger than herself whom she had never seen before. She stared in confusion at the cup that was being held in front of her. She raised the cup toward her mouth and took a sip of the ice cap inside before lowering it.

"Somebody's got to turn these people into soldiers," Casey said in a very monotonous voice. "Now who are you and what do you want?"

"What did you just say?" Chloe asked, as she looked over at the new woman. She had been intrigued by the explanation, though she hadn't really believed it. That, however... Didn't really fly as well with her.

IC: 

"Still not sure what all expense paid vacation signifies or just feeling particularly patriotic?"

The voice stepped into line next to Ben, scowling every so often at the white sphere above their heads and wondering exactly why anyone would want to be positioned this god close to it.

"Never pegged you as the "look at me my tie is our glorious flag" kinda guy."

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC: "Simmer down, both of ya." he interjected, forming a physical barrier between the two as he stepped into the middle of the heated tensions.

"She grabbed me out from the crowd that'd joost hit the street after they kept oos late. I told 'er what was 'appenin, and invited her along for some foon, since she looked bored outta 'er skull."  he explained, giving Sam an odd, almost irritated glance. "We're all from base, so we may as well spend our paltry, paltry toime off doin' foon stooff. Roight?"

Sound reasoning for any man.

helo frens

Chloe turned to look at PJ with a raised eyebrow, half intrigued, and half amused that that even was a thing. "That sounds like something. 'Ship', though... Walker, or no?" Chloe asked, half trying to find out who to blame if she got shipped a wrecked Walker.

IC: "What are ya even talkin' about? Someone looked bored and got my attention, so I figured I'd have somebody ta do fun stooff with, instead]a bein' the one sad sack in the poob on his own. There is nothin' wrong with that."

helo frens

Chloe blinked for a moment, and then appeared utterly confused, as she looked from PJ to Sam, having absolutely lost where the conversation was going. "Uh, huh?" Chloe asked, as she once again looked between the two.

IC: "This is Sam, and she gets loike this sometoimes." O'Sullivan attempted to explain, now fully recalling the identity of the sunbather. "She acts like Oi'm a criminal for bein' a people person with a magnetic personality. Oi can't change who oi am! Doin' tings alone when I could do 'em with a party ain't moy style!"

helo frens

IC:

She was briefly dumbstruck. How old was this girl? Was she playing naive or had her blatantly unsubtle innuendo gone completely unnoted? Or that matter, was PJ playing at it too, or had he briefly mentally reverted ten years?

The magnitude and quantity of questions brought up left her staring blankly at the crustacean, mouth slightly open for a good second or two.

"So," she regained her coolness. "You're a people person now? I thought you were just a girl person."

...but close to it

IC: "Oi've always been a people person! I hang out with the lads all the toime! And it's not like you don't ever have fun with guys either! Ya don't see me crackin woise whenever you've got a conversation goin' with fookin' Jim whenever you're done workin' on the Walkers!"

It was one thing to not notice, and that one thing was something PJ wasn't. Instead, he'd simply refused to acknowledge it up to this point. What was her deal, anyway? It wasn't like she was his girlfriend or anything. Why should she even care?

• Upvote 1

helo frens

Chloe frowned slightly. She'd missed something somewhere. She had to have. While PJ was objecting to everything, Chloe closed her eyes, and mused over things, as she tried to play back the conversation in her head. A beat. An eyebrow twitch. Yep. She had figured it out.

IC: "Sheesh, what crawled up your arse and decoided to boite?" he asked, folding his arms and frowning for the first time that day. "Tis is the only day off we've all gotten in moonths, and you're gonna be all crabby because Oi'm out 'ere makin' friends durin' it? What parta tat's fair?"

No man was perfect, and while O'Sullivan was many things, he was much the opposite of "no man".

helo frens

IC: Casey turned away from the young soldier who had approached her and moved toward the recruits, who were still doing their push-ups.

"That's enough," Casey yelled. The recruits almost immediately got to their feet. A few of them stared resentfully at Burette.

Casey stared cold for a moment. "Alright, back to your barracks, but keep in mind that if Burette messes up again I will give you far worse than you've had to endure today!"

The recruits began to shuffle out of the square one by one. Casey simply watched, her face blank of expression as Burette turned to join his recruits. He followed a few meters behind the last group of men and women, alone. Several of them gave him menacing looks.

Casey turned back toward the young soldier, who still seemed to be concerned about her training methods. "I have to do it, Lance Corporal" she said, just as cold as usual. "You've been through the training, you should know that."

Casey turned toward a door in the square and began to approach it.

IC:

Fair and sensible were the least correct terms to describe the engineer in one of her moods, she stayed on her side, facing away from the other soldiers. Apparently now deeply engrossed in A Tour of the Calculus by David Berlinski.

Who reads a mathematics book on the beach on leave?

...but close to it

IC:

"My glorious flag is a whole vorld avay. Vell, half." Ben let himself lapse into his accent for a moment, grinning at the man approaching from his right. When he spoke again he had returned to proper English. Lukas was familiar, he'd seen him around the base though they hadn't conversed much. He might have been the one to respond when the Vernichten's sensor array nearly blinded him. Might.

He couldn't see, after all.

"The sales are best along the main street. And I enjoy parades." 

Edited by Riku Tryon

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG