Breaking Point Discussion

Krayzikk

Okay, here it goes. I'm still not sure if this will work or not. On the other hand, I guess I won't know until I try.

So I was thinking about some of the feedback I'd gotten, and there was one thing in particular that seemed to stand out to me. I kept thinking of this statement:

She's a foot soldier in a setting where foot soldiers are no longer the primary aspect of warfare.

It got me wondering if there was a way to run with that idea. I tried to do the math, and it looks like it wouldn't work with Casey, although it could still work with a new PC.

Basically, the idea would involve an older PC, someone who had trained as a foot soldier before mechs became the primary focus, or at least at a time when they were only starting to be used by the military and infantry still had a much larger role. That would tie somewhat into their personality, in that they have for a long time been struggling to adapt to the changing technology. 

I'm thinking if I were to go this route, I could probably begin with this hypothetical PC being assigned to a mech for the first time.

I thought it was thirty years. That's why I realized I couldn't do it with Maxwell. And adjusting isn't always that easy. If they were trained to fight on the ground against other footsoldiers, and had years of experience in groundwork, it would be harder to adjust to the sudden introduction of mechs on the battlefield, seeing as that would change everything. Of course, if I were to go this route, it would probably have to be an older character than I'm used to writing.

I never said I wanted to do an infantry character. I was imagining her character arc as centering around her struggle adapt to the changing war environment, which would mean getting her a mech.

Okay, so it looks like my idea of an old soldier adapting to the use of mechs is a no-go. I guess I'd better go back to the drawing board...

Edited by Atton Rand

Base Model: FAW-022 Raptor

Designation: B-9 SABER

Appearance: The SABER looks overall like a normal Raptor. The frame and joints are jet black, with a dark forest green coat of paint on the armoured parts like Chloe's old Walker. However, there are pink highlights on certain pieces, that Chloe has been told tends to clash with the look of it. The engineer, however, chose not to factor those comments in, as they are still present.

There are a few streamlined pieces that are more rounded than normal; however, due to the intricacies of the transformation mechanism, there have not been many of those improvements made.

Armaments: In the walker form, the machine has built in 20mm caliber vulcans on its head. It also carries a medium range assault rifle for when needed, and has a vibro shortsword and vibro knife stored in the right and left legs respectively. In Raptor form, the SABER has 4 AMRAAM missiles, 4 Sidewinder missiles, and the vulcans.

Weakness: Raptor Sickness - As standard for the FAW-022, the SABER causes high strain on its pilot's body. This can have a wide range of physical effects, depending on how far the SABER is pushed.

Sniper Ineffective - Due to the range of the rifle, the SABER is not a long-range fighter in Walker form. This can have the disadvantage of being vulnerable to sniper attacks, due to being unable to effectively retaliate. However, it is still better than the previous Walker in range.

Pilot: Chloe Antequil

I thought it was thirty years. That's why I realized I couldn't do it with Maxwell. And adjusting isn't always that easy. If they were trained to fight on the ground against other footsoldiers, and had years of experience in groundwork, it would be harder to adjust to the sudden introduction of mechs on the battlefield, seeing as that would change everything. Of course, if I were to go this route, it would probably have to be an older character than I'm used to writing.

I never said I wanted to do an infantry character. I was imagining her character arc as centering around her struggle adapt to the changing war environment, which would mean getting her a mech.

Okay, so it looks like my idea of an old soldier adapting to the use of mechs is a no-go. I guess I'd better go back to the drawing board...

The timeline wouldn't really check out. Fifteen years since the Federation got Walkers, longer since they were invented, anyone who was trained as an infantry soldier would be at least thirty three by this point. A little old to be just transferring into the Walker Corp.

If you really want to keep some form of the concept, you could use a newly recruited descendant of an infantry soldier from the last war. A little over seventy years ago, small enough a timespan to feasibly be said character's grandfather. They might dislike that the role their grandfather filled has been largely sidelined in the new conflict.

And given the recruitment drive that would be occurring after the Union's blitzkrieg, it's feasible that he/she would be a new recruit. There's an expanded primer on the universe that I can send you if you want some more detail on that conflict.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Alright, got the bits I thought might be an issue ironed out, so what's left should just be the stuff I didn't know would be a problem.

EDIT: Clarified some phrasing regarding missiles. Each launcher is single-shot, with a total of fifteen shots available to each. Also clarified that there is a noticeable reload-time between missile shots, so even if I was tempted to try missile-spam, it would be explicitly not possible.

EDIT2: Forgot to include basic survival stuff in the Equipment. Not a major edit, but hey, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

NameFairuza Joensen Nyhåb

Appearance: Fairuza is very tall, at 7'4", with a slender, long-limbed build that would suit a marathon runner. Her tawny skin is dotted liberally with freckles, which are packed quite closely across the bridge of her nose and on her cheeks. She has a long, heart-shaped face with strong cheekbones and a prominent, pointed chin; her eyes are large and hooded, with bright, pale blue irises, her nose is large with a narrow root, widening out to form a triangular shape when looked at dead-on, and her mouth is small with moderately full lips. Her shoulder-length hair is thick and quite wavy, and both her hair and eyebrows are a bright, natural red, which makes her eyebrows sometimes seem to disappear.

Fairuza has the Ægishjálmur tattooed across her her chest, and the same symbol tattooed on the back of each hand.

When off-duty, there seems to be only two ways Fairuza's wardrobe can go; it's either bomber jackets, button-down shirts, leather pants and leather boots, or something fancy, generally dress-shaped, usually with ruffles, occasionally with lace. Once in a blue moon, she'll find it in her heart to compromise, resulting in something fancy, dress-shaped, and ruffly, with leather boots and a bomber jacket. Regardless of what else she's wearing, she's sure to have a wrought-iron pendant, roughly in the shape of an othala rune ᛟ, which, she insists to other pilots, keeps the frost giants from throwing their lot in with the Union. It's widely believed that she doesn't even kind of believe this.

She's ironed a patch displaying the Faroese coat of arms onto her flight suit, because of either national pride, or a need to prove to pilots from other nations that yes, it really is a goatJust a goat.

Equipment:

-FAW-007[GH] Einbora Týr

-A .35 five-shot revolver she carries in case circumstances force her to go EVA and something still needs shooting.

-A spare radio headset in case she winds up EVA and needs to talk to somebody.

-A canteen full of water.

-A pocket full of glowsticks.

-A spear, scaled to fit her as its larger counterpart does her mech.

-A basic first-aid kit, plus a small stash of MREs

Skills: Fairuza speaks Faroese, Danish and English quite well; her Farsi is understandably rather rusty. She is a competent pilot who focuses on rapid strikes, preferring to soften up a target at range before closing in and finishing the job. In close range, she tends to rely on her spear, striking with quick jabs when the opportunity arises, and parrying incoming attacks with the haft of the spear. To ensure that she is comfortable and knows the limits and possibilities of Einbora Týr's melee capabilities, she regularly trains in CQC, both unarmed and armed with a spear, with her right hand tied behind her back. As might be expected, Fairuza pursued long-distance running as a competitive sport for a few years before joining the military, and, while she isn't necessarily faster than anyone else, there's decent odds that she could run farther than them.

Personality: Fairuza is a giant nerd. If given the slightest encouragement, she will wind up spouting off about the wacky things Swedish pikemen did to Austrian knights, or why exactly swords are an idiosyncratic choice for the default weapons of Assault Walkers, or why Faroese folk metal is very important music you guys. Such an explanation is bound to include many enthusiastic hand gestures, and maybe even diagrams if she feels up for it, but for all that, when she isn't talking about something she finds exciting, Fairuza is generally rather quiet, and often prefers to let other people do the talking, offering short responses to help them along.

Overall, she is fairly confident in her abilities, and, while she has no illusions about the risks of taking new technology onto the battlefield, she does enjoy the prospect of testing such equipment in the field.

Bio: Fairuza is Faroese, though as her first name indicates, her mother belonged to the Fārsī ethnic group of eastern Iran. Growing up in the Faroe Islands, a small, not-exactly-tropical archipelago with a population lower than Greenland's, Fairuza - known, until a little while after her twentieth birthday, as Faisal - grew up hearing her mother's stories of distant lands, and seeing images of those lands and many more on news broadcasts and online. The Faroes were fine and all, but Fairuza knew there was a bigger world out there, and she wanted to get a good look at it for herself - moreso, as the colonies continued to expand humanity's reach into space; it was hardly fair for her to be stuck looking at goats and puffins while the rest of humanity got an ever-closer look at Mars, was it? 

She got her first taste of this at seventeen, when she left the Faroes to study at the University of iceland, pursuing studies in ancient and medieval military history while keeping one eye on news reports that brought news both of continuing progress with the development of Arsenal Walkers, and of the growing tensions between the Earth Federation and the Ark Union. 

After graduating, now twenty-one years old and one year into HRT, she returned home to the Faroe Islands, and volunteered for service in the Federation military via the Danish government. A few years of training, some action in border skirmishes with nations that decided they were too cool for the Federation, and the excitement of finally seeing her own fully customized Walker all seem to have happened so long ago, and now, with war declared and the Federation pulling in reinforcements from wherever it can find them, she and the untested prototype Einbora Týr have arrived at Horizon, ready for assignment to Test Team 4.

Weakness: In CQC, Fairuza has a high center of gravity, making it easier to take her off-balance than a smaller fighter

When piloting, she tends to become absorbed in particular details of the battlefield, and may miss new developments unless they are specifically pointed out to her.

In general, she is stubborn, and very reluctant to admit defeat. Once she is forced to acknowledge defeat, she tends to take it quite personally, and may focus too much on going back over what went wrong, trying to find a way she could have fixed it - always looking at what she could have done, rather than external factors, because unless it's glaringly obvious that she had nothing to do with it, she is very nearly guaranteed to blame herself.

Base Model: FAW-007[G] Warrior

Designation: FAW-007[GH] Einbora Týr (Faroese: "One Punch Týr," sometimes shortened to Týr) (GH = Ground Heavy)

AppearanceEinbora Týr looks, at first glance, like a stripped-down Warrior that's put on a few tons - the combat rifle and shield are gone, as is the entire right hand. Even with the bulky shield gone, Týr is heavier than usual for a Warrior, as the mech's armor has been thickened, giving it a bit of a beefier look, and the torso is thicker to accommodate a heavier reactor. Instead of a right hand, Týr carries a compact Gauss rifle that takes up much of the internal space of that forearm, with the barrel protruding from the truncated wrist. The entire right arm has been beefed up to compensate for the Gauss rifle's recoil, and to provide room for the ammo feed and a direct link to the reactor.The left arm carries a 30mm autocannon built onto the outside of the forearm, and two missile tubes stand out from the sides of the torso. Additional cameras placed on the top and back of the chassis allow the pilot an enhanced perspective. The cockpit has been noticeably expanded to accommodate Fairuza's height.

Týr's paint scheme is chiefly cyan, with blocks of light grey around the elbows and knees, and on the lower half of the torso. Maroon accents mark the joints and the launch tubes of the missiles, and a maroon band is painted around the end of the barrel of the Gauss rifle. The tiwaz rune, ᛏ, appears several times in maroon; painted on Einbora Týr's shoulders, back, and most prominently emblazoned across the front of Týr's torso. The Ægishjálmur is painted, in maroon, over the top of the cockpit.

Armaments:

-20 meter thrusting spear, with a narrow, sharply-pointed blade. The haft can be collapsed for storage, and locks into place when extended to full length.

-150mm Gauss rifle built into the right arm. 75 rounds.

-2 single-shot short-range missile launchers on either side of the torso. Maximum range of 500 meters, computer-assisted guidance requires a targeting lock before the missiles are fired. 15 rounds each. 2-second reload time between missiles.

-30mm autocannon built into the left wrist, to be used at range, when the spear is not viable. 150 rounds.

Weakness:

-The cameras at the top and rear are vulnerable to even small-arms fire.

-Einbora Týr lacks the manual dexterity of a standard FAW-007[G], and must stow the spear of Fairuza wants it to use its one good hand for anything but swinging around a cutty stick.

-Carries fewer weapons than many other variants of the Warrior.

-Gauss rifle has a relatively low rate of fire, requiring five seconds to charge the coils before it is ready.

-Lacks the shield of the standard model, removing the ability to obtain cover without having to find cover.

-Due to its increased weight, Einbora Týr is noticeably slower than the standard model.

-All the standard weaknesses of any Walker; vulnerable joints, vulnerable cockpit, limited ammunition, tendency to experience some turbulence and then explode if reactor is breached

PilotFairuza Nyhåb

Edited by Rache

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Probably. I figure she was slated for a test team somewhere else before things got messy, but didn't actually get around to testing this thing. Is that a problem?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Cool.

tbh I get kinda nervous when submitting profiles, probably because of this one time I sent a profile in for an RPG and the only response was "Is this a joke?"

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Heyyy.

So, love the concept. Currently camping so I can't really do much in the way of approvals for the two currently waiting, but I'll be back tomorrow.

I'll address everything when I'm home.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Fairuza is approved. If you need anything in the way of a recap, want a suggestion for where to pop in or anything of that nature feel free to ask.

Constructman, your recent character is being talked over.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Alright, groovy. Spent some time over the past few days reading the whole RPG and discussion topic. Would it be appropriate for a newly-minted member of Test Team to get straight in on the simulator action that's apparently about to happen, or would it be best for them to sit that out, maybe spectate until they've formally introduced themselves?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

They would be free to jump right in. As far as I know, most of Test Team is planning on participating. Now that I'm home I should be able to get that kicked off pretty shortly.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Nope, we were just waiting on me to actually finish it. I intended to write a more comprehensive description of the setting but I figured that it was better to actually kick it off than delay to finish the description. As such, I will be happy to take any clarifying questions.

Out-of-character, rules are pretty simple. Participate with as many (or as few) characters as you want, fight people, see if you can win. The two PCs standing (that are from different players) will win the chance to request a Walker upgrade from the staff. Nothing on the tier that you would get at midseason, but the staff will work with you to come up with something that feels worth the effort.

Staff are permitted to participate, and will be, but aren't in the running to steal your upgrades. The tournament will run either until we have two clear victors, or the staff decide it has run long enough. If the former, we will assess who to deem the victors based upon the status of the PCs still in the running.

fK5oqYf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I get the feeling that everyone playing it cautious in the sims is killing this thing.

If nothing has moved by the 27th, I volunteer to have the first bad idea.

EDIT: Forget it, I'm not patient enough for this. Hats off to whoever takes the first shot.

Edited by Rache

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I had some ideas for my new PC. I'm not sure if it's ready to be approved yet, though I don't see any harm in writing down what I've come up with. 

Name: Maya Logan

Appearance: Given her military background, it's not surprising that she isn't particularly glamorous when it comes to fashion. Her usual preferred attire consists of a t-shirt on top of camouflage pants, and sometimes a jacket overtop. She has long dirty blonde hair which is usually tied back into a messy bun (she doesn't put much effort into looking good, only tying it back enough that it doesn't get in the way). She also doesn't spend a lot of time keeping clean, so her clothes are often covered in dirt, sweat, and grease.

Equipment: She often keeps a 44. magnum on hand for defensive purposes. Beyond that, she often has a pack of cigarettes and a lighter in her pocket. In the field, she also likes to equip at least one flashbang and/or grenade, depending on the nature of the mission (although how often she gets to use them is another matter). 

Skills: Having trained with the marines, Maya knows more than a few things about combat. She can handle variety of firearms and also knows hand-to-hand. When it comes to mechs, Maya knows enough that she can maneuver one and handle its weapons, though she still has a lot to learn.

Personality: As a rookie freshly transferred from the marine corps, Maya lacks the experience of many of the other mech users. She often displays a remarkable sense of enthusiasm and an eagerness to get into the action (which was why she switched to the mech program in the first place). Having spent her career so far in her own lines, she has become somewhat tense, and can be somewhat reckless as a result. This is not to say she's necessarily stupid. However, she does have a tendency to charge into situations without thinking clearly.

Bio: Maya is the latest in a long line of soldiers. Her grandmother was a marine and a war hero seventy years ago. Her father also served in the marines. Continuing the tradition, it was no surprise that Maya went on to enlist as a marine when she was old enough.

Unfortunately for her, the military had changed drastically and the life of a marine proved a difficult one. After eight weeks of boot camp in which she was constantly insulted by a ruthless drill instructor, Maya eventually graduated. However, after joining the marines, she was disappointed to find that there was almost no action. She spent several months sitting around various army bases with her fellow soldiers more or less waiting for an assignment to present itself. Of course, when you take a group of marines fresh out of training who are all eager to get their first kill and tell them to wait, it doesn't prove easy.

The result was Maya's tense personality, which came from the constant boredom of waiting for her first assignment. The marines had to find ways to keep themselves occupied, which sometimes resulted in their recklessness. During her time in the marines, Maya had more than a few instances of questionable actions performed alongside other soldiers while trying to deal with her boredom.

It was this lack of action that finally drove Maya to leave the marines and transfer to the mech program. Although she struggled to find the patience to even learn how to use a mech, she enlisted hoping that it would finally give her a chance to get into the action, something that she had so far failed to do. 

Weakness: Because of her inexperience, Maya can be extremely reckless, especially with her tendency to get tense and not always think clearly during periods of inactivity. She's also a heavy smoker and sometimes has difficulty working as a team player due to overconfidence. She also still has a lot to learn regarding the roles of mechs in contemporary warfare.

So I tried to make it so that she'd fit in. While I did borrow a few ideas from Jarhead when coming up with her backstory (I don't know if anyone here ever saw that film), I was hoping to make it so that her role would focus primarily on her experience with mechs. I also figured her being a new recruit made sense given my own lack of experience, so I imagined her being someone who could learn as the story progresses. 

Now as I recall, I was told that a warrior would be a good choice for a mech to start with. I may need some time to figure out all the details, though.

what is the point of her having been a marine at all

also if an entire branch of the military was kept funded, staffed, and on alert... but just left waiting for something to do, I'd start to get worried about misappropriation of funding and a total waste of personnel.

I mean... why wouldn't the people in charge just shunt recruits towards a branch that's actually seeing action if another one is so obsolete that fully-trained recruits are just sort of chilling.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, I was under the impression that while infantry are still technically used, they would be used sparingly with mechs doing most of the actual fighting. Thus it would make sense that a lot of the infantry wouldn't see as much action.

also if an entire branch of the military was kept funded, staffed, and on alert... but just left waiting for something to do, I'd start to get worried about misappropriation of funding and a total waste of personnel.

I should point out that's actually a real thing that happens a lot in modern warfare. It's not all that unusual for some soldiers to go through entire tours of duty without ever leaving their base. If anything, a lot of it basically amounts to long periods sitting around waiting for something to happen, with perhaps brief moments of engagement in between. I mentioned the movie Jarhead earlier, which offers a pretty good depiction of how tedious war can get. 

Some soldiers. You're writing a character who was recruited into the marines in a situation where, one, people are definitely needed for another branch of service, and two, the marines are so inactive that the character got bored and transferred out.

I just don't get why it's so hard for you to make a character who entered service with the intention of piloting an AW. I don't understand why, in an RPG that you have been told is about mecha first and the military second, you think a detour through the infantry that's over before the profile ends adds anything of import.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

in an RPG that you have been told is about mecha first and the military second

Yes, that's why I tried to write her as a mech pilot with the intention of focusing on her mech career. 

EDIT: I've looked over the profile again and I think there was a small miscommunication. I probably should have made it more clear that I was only referring to the specific platoon to which she was assigned, not the entire marine corps.

Edited by Atton Rand

Even so, that the character got so bored that she had to transfer to an entirely different branch implies one of two things;

1) Gross mismanagement of resources on the part of commanders pretty far up the chain, or

2) She has a temperament completely unsuited to military service. In any branch of service, be it questionably-useful infantry, wet navy, space navy, giant robots, whatever, there's a lot of waiting. If she could not have found a productive way to deal with the waiting, maybe she shouldn't be in the military.

Either of these implications can be avoided by cutting out the bit about having been a Marine, since those implications - which do not look good for anybody - are literally the only thing that patch of backstory adds.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

^Yeah, that would be good, too. Maybe say that some test scores in training or whatever convinced the higher-ups that she'd serve better as a pilot than a groundpounder.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

an alternative would be to say that instead of transferring herself, she was swept into mecha due to the sudden and dire need for pilots?

I guess that could work. Then I could start with her arriving for her first mech assignment after being transferred.

incompetency in the command structure is a non issue

Well, I wouldn't exactly say that some incompetency would be unrealistic.

would exactly say that implications of incompetent commanders are for the staff to make and not you, though.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

• 2 weeks later...

an alternative would be to say that instead of transferring herself, she was swept into mecha due to the sudden and dire need for pilots?

that way you get the...marine background, and incompetency in the command structure is a non issue

^Yeah, that would be good, too. Maybe say that some test scores in training or whatever convinced the higher-ups that she'd serve better as a pilot than a groundpounder.

This would be the best solution. Otherwise there's nothing wrong with her.

Once she's tweaked and she has a Walker sheet, I'll look her over for approval purposes.

fK5oqYf.jpg

Possessing space for a number of additional systems and weapons, the baseline model is equipped with standard sensors and a combat rifle with shield. Cockpit is present inside the chest. Melee weapons vary, but commonly equipped with Walker-scaled machetes.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Okay, let's see what I can come up with...

Name: Maya Logan

Appearance: Given her military background, it's not surprising that she isn't particularly glamorous when it comes to fashion. Her usual preferred attire consists of a t-shirt on top of camouflage pants, and sometimes a jacket overtop. She has long dirty blonde hair which is usually tied back into a messy bun (she doesn't put much effort into looking good, only tying it back enough that it doesn't get in the way). She also doesn't spend a lot of time keeping clean, so her clothes are often covered in dirt, sweat, and grease.

Equipment: She often keeps a 44. magnum on hand for defensive purposes. Beyond that, she often has a pack of cigarettes and a lighter in her pocket. In the field, she also likes to equip at least one flashbang and/or grenade, depending on the nature of the mission (although how often she gets to use them is another matter). 

Skills: Having trained with the marines, Maya knows more than a few things about combat. She can handle variety of firearms and also knows hand-to-hand. When it comes to mechs, Maya knows enough that she can maneuver one and handle its weapons, though she still has a lot to learn.

Personality: As a rookie freshly transferred from the marine corps, Maya lacks the experience of many of the other mech users. She often displays a remarkable sense of enthusiasm and an eagerness to get into the action (which was why she switched to the mech program in the first place). Having spent her career so far in her own lines, she has become somewhat tense, and can be somewhat reckless as a result. This is not to say she's necessarily stupid. However, she does have a tendency to charge into situations without thinking clearly.

Bio: Maya is the latest in a long line of soldiers. Her grandmother was a marine and a war hero seventy years ago. Her father also served in the marines. Continuing the tradition, it was no surprise that Maya went on to enlist as a marine when she was old enough.

Unfortunately for her, the military had changed drastically and the life of a marine proved a difficult one. After eight weeks of boot camp in which she was constantly insulted by a ruthless drill instructor, Maya eventually graduated. However, after joining the marines, she was disappointed to find that there was almost no action. She spent several months sitting around various army bases with her fellow soldiers more or less waiting for an assignment to present itself. Of course, when you take a group of marines fresh out of training who are all eager to get their first kill and tell them to wait, it doesn't prove easy.

The result was Maya's tense personality, which came from the constant boredom of waiting for her first assignment. The marines had to find ways to keep themselves occupied, which sometimes resulted in their recklessness. During her time in the marines, Maya had more than a few instances of questionable actions performed alongside other soldiers while trying to deal with her boredom. 

However, her test scores were able to attract the attention of a few officers and Maya was approached with an offer to enlist in the mech division. Hoping that this would finally give her some action, she accepted. After a short period of training, Maya was assigned her first walker. She has yet to see any real action, though she is eager to get into the field at the first opportunity. 

Weakness: Because of her inexperience, Maya can be extremely reckless, especially with her tendency to get tense and not always think clearly during periods of inactivity. She's also a heavy smoker and sometimes has difficulty working as a team player due to overconfidence. She also still has a lot to learn regarding the roles of mechs in contemporary warfare.

Base Model: Warrior

Designation: Valkyrie

Appearance: More or less standard in design at the moment, painted in a military green-and-brown camo.

Armaments: At present, Maya's walker hasn't been heavily customized and mostly relies on the standard settings combined with the few upgrades she has managed to acquire. So far, In addition to the standard combat rifle and protective shields these include a minigun and grenade launcher. That said, she has been experimenting with the possibility of modifying her walker to deploy mines, and is still waiting for a melee weapon to become available.

Weakness: Because of limited weaponry, its effectiveness is currently limited to long range against small groups of opponents. Up close, it is more vulnerable to serious damage, especially when dealing with more than one walker at a time.

Pilot: Maya Logan

There's already a Valkyrie though.

Darn it! Now I got to go combing through Constellations and Ancient Mythology again in the hopes of finding a new name.  :P

On a more serious note, I apologize for not realizing sooner. I probably should have gone through the list to make sure that designation wasn't taken. Now I've got to figure out something else.

I know two other names I'd wondered about were "Hydra" and "Midgard," though I'm not sure how well those names would fit the walker. I'll have to think about this one. If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to hearing them.